CA: Newsome passed $20 fast food min wage law, statewide

10,033 Views | 129 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by Ag with kids
Tanya 93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BkYdPitmaster said:

Gigem_94 said:

Nah, just going to start making and selling their own hamburger buns. What a stupid exemption.
Already do. They bake the biscuits and you can buy a biscuit with nothing in it,

I ordered an egg and cheese biscuit.
They forgot the egg.
Direct Enter Enter
doubledog said:

Amazon Basics 2 Pound Non-Stick Bread Making Machine

Put this on the back counter and sell or give away the bread it makes to the customers.

$80 and you are in business.
Bread making machines were one of the most popular Christmas gifts of the early 1990s, and also one of the most popular yard sale items of the mid 1990s.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Guilty
Ag with kids
AG
Tanya 93 said:

Manhattan said:

Iraq2xVeteran said:

This $20 fast food minimum wage is ridiculous. Fast food jobs are designed to be entry level jobs to get into the workforce, not a career.

This is a sad misconception that is repeated over and over…. A high school kid isn't hanging me my McDonald's breakfast on a Tuesday.

Summer?

And when your HS have A and B day and seniors often only have classes on one of the two, they are handing out breakfast tacos.

And 20 dollars an hour for fast food is bull*****

It just is.

We do good food and don't pay that.
Owning this restaurant is going to turn you into a good little capitalist...
Maroon Dawn
AG
Manhattan said:

There isn't an endless supply of non skilled entry level workers.

McDonald's has plenty of lifers.

Your party begs to differ and has thrown open the border to make sure there is
Trajan88
AG
"Chipotle To Trial Robotic Burrito Bowl Assembly Line As Company Moves To Go Fully Automated"

https://winepressnews.com/2023/10/04/chipotle-to-trial-robotic-burrito-bowl-assembly-line-as-company-moves-to-go-fully-automated/
Actual Talking Thermos
zoneag said:

captkirk said:

The new employee of the month, every month
Were they not going to keep replacing employees with iPads if the law didn't pass? Tablet ordering and self checkout are everywhere, including all 49 states that don't have this law.
Enzomatic
Actual Talking Thermos said:

zoneag said:

captkirk said:

https://d2w1ef2ao9g8r9.cloudfront.net/images/_sameSizeHero/12-Hero.jpg

Were they not going to keep replacing employees with iPads if the law didn't pass? Tablet ordering and self checkout are everywhere, including all 49 states that don't have this law.

The last statewide min wage hike to 15 pushed McDonald's in California to go 100% kiosk with one staff member helping people use them (like at grocery stores). That staff member wasn't allowed to take your order. I tried once, just trying to get a drink, and they told me no. Even for a $1.08 transaction, no one was allowed to do anything other than walk over and show you how the kiosk ordering worked (definitely makes everything slower, but it is what it is). They saw the writing on the wall, and now they can get rid of that one staff member at the counter too as they've had time to train customers to not expect any human involvement from the process at all. Will probably do the same with drivethrus, maybe have AI ordering, like Siri or Alexa type voice recognition. These hikes in pay are taking the inevitable and making it viable to be done way faster than it otherwise would have.

With the technology being worked out in California, it will hit the rest of the country very quickly even without these massive payroll hikes (as everyone's seen these kiosks as options for awhile). California definitely is driving "progress" for all…
Logos Stick

zoneag said:

captkirk said:

Yes.

So tell us again why we need millions of uneducated, no skill illegal immigrants in this country?
Logos Stick
The people who work at my McDs are not teens anymore, it's the wives and girlfriends of the illegals.
American Hardwood
AG
TexasAggie_97 said:

Enzomatic said:

Has he already created a law banning kiosks and apps to order? Or is that next?

Pretty sure that would be challenged in court and lose big time. You cannot prevent companies from becoming more efficient and/or lowering their costs.
But you sure as hell can pass laws to prevent companies from being more profitable and raising their costs apparently.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG

zoneag said:

captkirk said:

As we continue passing regulations making automation more affordable than humans, yes.
American Hardwood
AG
Other states may not have this law, but the rising cost of doing business due to government policy of one form or another isn't unique to California. This law is just another blow, a big one for California, but it isn't the only inflationary policy that companies have to deal with.
nortex97
AG
I didn't know where to put this but I see ol' Gavin is on a whirlwind CCP tour, driving luxury CCP SUV's (EV of course, "Build Your Dreams"), among other activities:

Edit: this is the babylonbee article;

https://babylonbee.com/news/gavin-newsom-visits-xi-jinping-to-get-more-ideas-on-how-to-run-california

Not sure why it's not showing.
halfastros81
AG
I heard an interview with a guy that runs a restaurant in Cali on Michael Barry. He says the $20 thing is not a real problem as the market rate is right there anyway. He sez state regs on restaurant chains with over 20 locations are a huge issue and that they are trying to extend it to all restaurants. Basically the state is trying to run the restaurant business.

This guy owns one restaurant in Cali and sez he will never open another one there.
YouBet
AG
Newsome is in China? I thought he wasn't going to run for President?

Governors don't visit our biggest adversary ahead of a Presidential election if they aren't setting themselves up for a run. Not to mention all of the big policy moves he's made. Dumb to not think they aren't grooming him to step in.

And he gives China legitimacy to boot by doing so.
YouBet
AG
halfastros81 said:

I heard an interview with a guy that runs a restaurant in Cali on Michael Barry. He says the $20 thing is not a real problem as the market rate is right there anyway. He sez state regs on restaurant chains with over 20 locations are a huge issue and that they are trying to extend it to all restaurants. Basically the state is trying to run the restaurant business.

This guy owns one restaurant in Cali and sez he will never open another one there.

Hell, It's almost that in Texas, in reality.
Shoefly!
AG
Logos Stick said:

zoneag said:

captkirk said:

Yes.

So tell us again why we need millions of uneducated, no skill illegal immigrants in this country?

Dig ditches, put a strain on our county hospitals, and get in on all the give me sumptin, but most important vote.
annie88
AG
Thank God he's playing basketball with Chinese kids, though.

Currently a happy listless vessel and deplorable. #FDEMS TRUMP 2024.
Fight Fight Fight.
Moral High Horse
I've always wanted to see a $19.99 Quarter Pounder with Cheese combo.
Moral High Horse
Only thing on the dollar menu gonna be ketchups, straws and napkins.
annie88
AG
Currently a happy listless vessel and deplorable. #FDEMS TRUMP 2024.
Fight Fight Fight.
richardag
CDUB98 said:

maroonthrunthru said:

Make bread… Make it taste like crap, so nobody orders it…. Make limited amounts…. Keep it on shelf for days…

Profit…
Subway gonna sue you.
Made me laugh, thank you. Well played.
Among the latter, under pretence of governing they have divided their nations into two classes, wolves and sheep.”
Thomas Jefferson, Letter to Edward Carrington, January 16, 1787
DannyDuberstein
AG
Why stop at $20? Make it $100.
Ag with kids
AG
halfastros81 said:

That's the market rate NOW.

That's not to say the market can't fall. And THEN, there's no way that it can go downwards, which is when the big issues will occur.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.