1983 West Texas drought solutions

3,130 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by NE PA Ag
ABATTBQ87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jja79
AG
Fort Stockton native. I remember this.
ABATTBQ87
AG
jja79 said:

Fort Stockton native. I remember this.
Did it work?
Whoop2oo1
AG
Look at all the great movies that were playing.
highlonesomeaggie
AG
So Lizzie and the Rainman is based on a true story?
Win At Life
AG
If anyone needs rain, just pay me to haul my boat over and remove the cover. Taking the cover off my boat seems to cause instant thunderstorms.
buda91
AG
Those ads. Lots places I recall. Especially the Schulman and ME3.
jja79
AG
Of course.
MD20/20
AG
highlonesomeaggie said:

All of her songs were true stories.
Cooter Brown is my designated driver.
ABATTBQ87
AG
MD20/20 said:

highlonesomeaggie said:

aggiebrad94
AG
Whoop2oo1 said:

Look at all the great movies that were playing.
My brother and I had tickets to Mr. Mom and then snuck into Trading Places.
DogCo84
AG
The UAE was very active with cloud seeding. It did work. Sometimes, it worked too well. Photo was taken after a base-wide post-seeding rain/flood at Al Dhafra Air Base--March of 2017. Note our modern, trendy office buildings at right.

Secolobo
AG
It's almost like the government doesn't even want to try that. Might mess up a good crisis…
Legal Custodian
AG
Man, that's quite the movie lineup at Schulmans
EclipseAg
AG
ABATTBQ87 said:

MD20/20 said:

highlonesomeaggie said:

Holy cow ... I forgot all about that song. Haven't heard it in years.
IJones23
The Man From Snowy River.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Neat ads from the theaters. I actually worked at Schulman 6 for a couple of years while I was at A&M, after the manager was murdered in a robbery in 1988.

Wondering where that Plitt Theater was. Not remembering a theater at that location.
ValleyRatAg
AG
Strange Brew! I need to rewatch that, I loved it and my friends and I will still call someone a hoser every now and then. I bet that movie as an adult is terrible.
Old May Banker
AG
IJones23 said:

One of the all time greatest movies.
TChaney
Where Hurricane Harry's and whatever business is/was in the spot to the north.
HunterAggie
Old May Banker said:

IJones23 said:

One of the all time greatest movies.
Did you mis-type "Return of the Jedi" ?
HunterAggie

The Elko Era has begun
NoahAg
Had no idea Post Oak Mall was around in '83.
EclipseAg
AG
NoahAg said:

Opened February 1982.
TexasAggiesWin
S
So this is where W's hurricane machine was perfected
Post removed:
by user
TequilaMockingbird
Win At Life said:

If anyone needs rain, just pay me to haul my boat over and remove the cover. Taking the cover off my boat seems to cause instant thunderstorms.
Back when I was a semi-working musician, the trick was to book an outdoor gig at Dos Amigos in Odessa. Seemed to work every time.
VaultingChemist
AG
Cloud seeding was popular in the 70's. Tropical Storm Amelia came up into Texas in 1978, and the story goes that cloud seeding was being used during its approach into West Texas. Albany received 29.05 inches of rain in 24 hours, setting the official U.S. record for most rain in a 24-hour time period.
American Hardwood
AG
No need to worry. Dove season is right around the corner and rain is guaranteed.
Guppy
AG
I flew for the Tran Pecos Weather Modification Association shortly after I earned all of my pilot ratings in 2005-2006 out in far west Texas. Say what you want, but I am an absolute firm believer whether modification works via cloud seeding.

I had my doubts going into the job. First month I was flying I hardly saw the point in what I was doing. But one day in early May there were 2 rain cells on opposite ends of my area I was working (around 5 million acres or 4 counties). The meteorologist told me both looked promising and I picked the one at the eastern edge.

My job required me to fly my plane about 50 feet under the leading edge of the thunderstorm and "hunt" for updrafts. Once I found an updraft, I would ignite a flare, or several flares, that were attached to the trailing edge of my wing and they would burn in place releasing silver iodine which acted like an ice crystal to help cool the cloud and would therefore cause more rain to form.

So the day I became a believer I went over to the first cell. The tops were 30-35,000. I flew under the leading edge of the cell and got some small updrafts. A few hundred ft per min. I burn a couple flares. Make a very slow 180 degree turn. Fly around for 5 mins or so. Make a 2nd pass under the cell. Updrafts are stronger. Burn a few more flares. The meteorologist is on the radio getting all excited with what his computer is showing. Make a 3rd pass and before I could finish the cell opens up and buckets of water come pouring out.

Fly to the 2nd cell and the exact same thing happened….

Was insanely busy the summer of '06. Wettest year they had in 40 plus years. Not sure exactly how much I helped, but the number I remember is that we increased rainfall by around 20%. We couldn't make it rain, just increase the amount.

Best job I ever had flying a plane.
IIIHorn

You're either part of the solution or you're part of the precipitate.

Bird Poo
AG
Crazy. I always though weather manipulation was a kooky conspiracy theory.
aggie93
AG
ValleyRatAg said:

Strange Brew! I need to rewatch that, I loved it and my friends and I will still call someone a hoser every now and then. I bet that movie as an adult is terrible.
I rewatched this a few years ago with a Canadian buddy of mine who moved to Texas and we drank Molson's the whole time. It was amazing. He gave me so many insights on little Canadian jokes that were going on that went over my head before, especially at the beer store.

Looking at that list of movies is just crazy. I mean just playing that weekend you have more good movies than Hollywood has put out in the last decade with a broad variety of movies and lots of originality with cult classics and COMEDY. Hollywood just doesn't make funny movies anymore, they have forgotten how to laugh.
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
NE PA Ag
EclipseAg said:

NoahAg said:

Opened February 1982.

The Foley's store (now Macy's) was added later, like maybe 1985?
NE PA Ag
I like the way phone numbers were listed, no area code since everything was long distance between area codes. I think the Batt date for this article was either right after or right before the area code changed from 713 to 409.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.