Maui fire 2023 vs Chicago fire 1871

5,353 Views | 68 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Kenneth_2003
annie88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Two completely different times in US history, I wonder how they'll compare in the end. Right now looks like the Maui fire will be worse.

Chicago Fire

The fire killed approximately 300 people, over 17,000 structures, and left more than 100,000 residents homeless.

$222 million (1871 USD)
(approx. $5.4 billion in 2022)

Burned area
2,112 acres (8.55 km2)

Maui Fire

The fire so far has killed approximately 114 people with 850 displaced, 20 missing, over 2,200 structures

Burned area
At least 3,200 acres (12.94 km2)

Property damage
$5.5B

techno-ag
AG
Being on an island didn't help.
I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris

Vote for Trump.
He took a bullet for America.

Burrus86
AG
techno-ag said:

Having Joe Biden for President did not help.
aggielostinETX
AG
https://instagr.am/p/CwNf2K3Mt03

Did they really kill 1000 people?

And waited until Biden left….
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

The fire so far has killed approximately 114 people with 850 displaced, 20 missing, over 2,200 structures
The numbers are worse than that. If there were only 20 people still missing now, that would be on the news since Biden is finally showing up.
annie88
AG
Burrus86 said:

techno-ag said:

Having Joe Biden for President did not help.
I know Grant had his issues, but yeah, they had a better president.

Quote:

When the Chicago Fire occurred in October 1871, Grant had been president for two years and six months. Grant responded to the disaster by sending General Phillip Sheridan and six companies of federal troops to maintain the city. As well, the president sent federal aid to help rebuild Chicago.
annie88
AG
NoahAg
techno-ag said:

Well at least it can only spread so far.
BG Knocc Out
Seeing some of those cars on front street with all doors closed...I am hoping most of those were people fleeing to the waters and shutting their doors just in case, but a buddy was telling me about a vid he saw of a local woman (forgot her position, but it wasn't just some rando off the streets) claiming that the death toll is at least 1,000-1,500, maybe more, with many of those people basically being cremated by the extreme heat, leaving no remains for search parties, cadaver dogs etc. She claims a lot of those people were trapped and cremated in their cars because the files spread so fast. I am hoping that is not the case...but there did not appear to be many people who made it into the ocean.

Seems like if 1,000+ people were truly unaccounted for, in an area that small, we would be hearing so much more about it from the locals. That would be a very significant % of the local population, and a lot of tourists with families.
Secolobo
AG
techno-ag said:

...a tropical island surrounded by water...
Bird Poo
AG
Official unaccounted for is 850. That was released 4 hours ago by the mayor.
fixer
Note Cnn doesn't have a death toll tracker like during covid.

GeorgiAg
AG
Mrs. O'Leary's Cow strikes again!
EclipseAg
AG
I think local leaders are slow-walking what they know in order to protect themselves as much as possible.

The media won't really press -- or dig into people's stories -- so they know they can get away with it.
techno-ag
AG
Secolobo said:

techno-ag said:

Which they couldn't access easily.

If you've spent any time there you know how difficult moving resources is. One of the reasons everything is more expensive is almost every thing has to be flown in. And Maui isn't even the main island.

At least in Chicago people could get there easily to help and send supplies.
I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris

Vote for Trump.

annie88
AG
GeorgiAg said:

Mrs. O'Leary's Cow strikes again!
That's one damn old cow.
Currently a happy listless vessel and deplorable. #FDEMS TRUMP 2024.
Fight Fight Fight.
aggiehawg
AG
techno-ag said:

Secolobo said:

techno-ag said:

If you've spent any time there you know how difficult moving resources is. One of the reasons everything is more expensive is almost every thing has to be flown in. And Maui isn't even the main island.

There are what? A quarter of a million troops stationed in Hawaii? With ships, helicopters, planes, etc? And they can't get there? 45 minutes away by air?
SpiderDude
AG
Has anyone seen the videos of the guy being interviewed who said the cops blocked the road and weren't letting people out?! Any reporting on that??? Or is it just another conspiracy theory like all the rest?
techno-ag
AG
aggiehawg said:

techno-ag said:

Secolobo said:

techno-ag said:

There are what? A quarter of a million troops stationed in Hawaii? With ships, helicopters, planes, etc? And they can't get there? 45 minutes awat by air?
That's likely political more than logistics.

- Kamala Harris

Vote for Trump.

aTmAg
AG
They can thank the Jones Act too. Liberalism fails every time it is tried.
aggielostinETX
AG
SpiderDude said:

Has anyone seen the videos of the guy being interviewed who said the cops blocked the road and weren't letting people out?! Any reporting on that??? Or is it just another conspiracy theory like all the rest?

Not conspiracy at all. Confirmed by multiple sources.
aggiehawg
AG
techno-ag said:

aggiehawg said:

techno-ag said:

Secolobo said:

techno-ag said:

There are what? A quarter of a million troops stationed in Hawaii? With ships, helicopters, planes, etc? And they can't get there? 45 minutes awat by air?
And that's supposed to excuse it somehow?
techno-ag
AG
aggiehawg said:

techno-ag said:

aggiehawg said:

techno-ag said:

Secolobo said:

techno-ag said:

And that's supposed to excuse it somehow?
Of course not. I think you have me confused with another poster.

- Kamala Harris

Vote for Trump.

Get Off My Lawn
Q: when assessing damage - do they just take the real estate value? …cause the beachfront property is still beachfront - whether it has a structure on it or not.

Not to downplay anything, just wondering if a $900k lot with a $100k structure is being reported as a $1M loss.
agz win
AG
Did Chicago have gale force winds too like Maui did that day or did they have to deal with some other act of God?
B-1 83
AG
aTmAg said:

I remember the impact that had on Puerto Rico, but how does it nail Hawaii?
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
Kozmozag
Having a haole democrat governor certainly didn't help.
I Sold DeSantis Lifts
Secolobo said:

techno-ag said:

Maybe they should have just flipped it over like Guam.
Kenneth_2003
AG
BG Knocc Out said:

Seeing some of those cars on front street with all doors closed...I am hoping most of those were people fleeing to the waters and shutting their doors just in case, but a buddy was telling me about a vid he saw of a local woman (forgot her position, but it wasn't just some rando off the streets) claiming that the death toll is at least 1,000-1,500, maybe more, with many of those people basically being cremated by the extreme heat, leaving no remains for search parties, cadaver dogs etc. She claims a lot of those people were trapped and cremated in their cars because the files spread so fast. I am hoping that is not the case...but there did not appear to be many people who made it into the ocean.

Seems like if 1,000+ people were truly unaccounted for, in an area that small, we would be hearing so much more about it from the locals. That would be a very significant % of the local population, and a lot of tourists with families.

Car fire does not burn hot and long enough to completely remove all evidence of a body. There's just too much water to evaporate away
Kenneth_2003
AG
agz win said:

Did Chicago have gale force winds too like Maui did that day or did they have to deal with some other act of God?

No public safety/ building codes and yes the weather did pay a role. A cold front finally blew in shifting the wind as I recall that stopped the spread. Chicago fire went from bad to worse when the fire consumed the Publix waterworks facility and the fire brigade lost water access.
aggiehawg
AG
From last week.

aTmAg
AG
B-1 83 said:

aTmAg said:

I remember the impact that had on Puerto Rico, but how does it nail Hawaii?
Oh, my bad. I forgot it didn't apply to Hawaii.
aggiehawg
AG
Warning: This is tough to listen to.

agracer
AG
ED: NM Watched the videl
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
agz win said:

https://i.postimg.cc/rpHKr9JQ/IMG-0770.jpg
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.