Go Woke, Go Broke: Disney Edition

7,160 Views | 80 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by bmc13
BoydCrowder13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
They've got issues and it remains to be seen whether going the steaming route will work. They've invested a lot of money there and are sacrificing profitability in the meantime.

That being said, they have a lot of very valuable IP. The parks remain cash cows. They have to figure out something to do with their networks and ESPN though. They have been a milestone around their necks for 10 years.

And they need to up their game again movie wise. Quality has certainly dipped in the last 5 years.
EclipseAg
AG
A hit movie like "Frozen" is a multi-billion-dollar, money-printing machine for Disney.

It drives everything -- studio revenue, park attendance, retail sales.

I had a family member who worked at Magic Kingdom when "Frozen" was at its peak. She was often assigned to the Elsa picture queue.

People from around the world came to the park with little girls in tow to see Elsa. "Frozen is here?" they would ask in broken English. The lines were incredible -- four hours at some points in the day.

It's absolutely shocking to me that Disney spends money on laughably bad "Little Mermaid" remakes when they should be searching for the next "Frozen" -- even if the characters are white. That's a clear sign that the company is creatively bankrupt and focused more on DEI than money.
BoydCrowder13
EclipseAg said:

A hit movie like "Frozen" is a multi-billion-dollar, money-printing machine for Disney.

I had a family member who worked at Magic Kingdom when "Frozen" was at its peak. She was often assigned to the Elsa picture queue.

People from around the world came to the park with little girls in tow to see Elsa. "Frozen is here?" they would ask in broken English. The lines were incredible -- four hours at some points in the day.

It's absolutely shocking to me that Disney spends money on laughably bad "Little Mermaid" remakes when they should be searching for the next "Frozen" -- even if the characters are white. That's a clear sign that the company is creatively bankrupt and focused more on DEI than money.

To be fair, the Little Mermaid isn't the main issue. It will end up over $300M domestically and is past break even. It didn't knock it out of the park but it isn't hurting the bottom line.

It is stuff like Indiana Jones, Elemental, Ant Man 3, Lightyear, etc that are creating issues.

Inflated budgets and bad box office performances.
CSTXAg92
AG
Bearpitbull said:

Two options:

1. Assume it is a result of DeSantis if it makes you feel better.
2. Dig a little and see what is really behind it across all content providers in the streaming world. The days of a small handful of big players owning content are over. Wild and fast evolution. Interesting that the writers and actors are acting like the biz model is from 15 years ago.
Dont forget they've released what basically amounts to a couple piles of steaming crap for movies as of late.

I've got 4 kids ages 10-17. We cancelled Disney Channel, haven't seen a Disney movie at the cinima, or been to a Disney park since they've started going woke. And we haven't missed it one bit.
Logos Stick
BoydCrowder13 said:

EclipseAg said:

To be fair, the Little Mermaid isn't the main issue. It will end up over $300M domestically and is past break even. It didn't knock it out of the park but it isn't hurting the bottom line.

It is stuff like Indiana Jones, Elemental, Ant Man 3, Lightyear, etc that are creating issues.

Actually, Mermaid is considered a huge flop by the experts.

You don't make films hoping for breakeven.
Showertime at the Bidens
Predmid
AG
the entire line of live-action remakes have been terrrrrrible.

Would have been better to just do theatrical re-releases of the originals. Heck, make them sing-a-long versions with the lyrics up on the screen. Go nuts. THe movies are already made. What production cost is there?

Better profits, better movies, and hitting that millennial parent nostalgia button to re-introduce the movies to an entire post-zoomer generation to the 90s golden years of animated disney movies.
aggiehawg
AG
Seems Warner Bros. is about to do the same with the Barbie movie. Not getting very good reviews.
BoydCrowder13
aggiehawg said:

Seems Warner Bros. is about to do the same with the Barbie movie. Not getting very good reviews.

It's at 89% on Rotten Tomatoes. Tracking towards $110M domestic this weekend.

Granted I'll be seeing Oppenheimer but it looks like Barbie will do well.
BoydCrowder13
Logos Stick said:

BoydCrowder13 said:

EclipseAg said:

You don't but the 4th highest grossing movie of the year isn't a disaster. It outgrossed the original Little Mermaid even accounting for inflation.

Indiana Jones is a disaster.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
aggiehawg said:

Not sure where you are seeing that, I've seen nothing but excitement and good things about Barbie.
aggiehawg
AG
BoydCrowder13 said:

aggiehawg said:

Movie is kind of getting hit by both sides. Some say it is agenda driven woke with others saying it is n't woke enough.
BoydCrowder13
aggiehawg said:

BoydCrowder13 said:

aggiehawg said:

Movie is kind of getting hit by both sides. Some say it is agenda driven woke with others saying it is n't woke enough.

Certainly not seeing that. Critics seem to love it and all nearly screenings at my theater are sold out this weekend. It has the best ticket pre-sales since Avatar 2 surprisingly.
akm91
AG
BoydCrowder13 said:

Logos Stick said:

BoydCrowder13 said:

EclipseAg said:

You don't but the 4th highest grossing movie of the year isn't a disaster. It outgrossed the original Little Mermaid even accounting for inflation.

Quote:

With a $250 million production cost and a reported $140 million marketing cost, The Little Mermaid, under the most generous of projections, needs to gross approximately $560 million at the worldwide box office, according to Hollywood insiders, to reach its break-even threshold.

It's well short of that figure.

Quote:

The Little Mermaid, which has presently grossed approximately $326 million at the worldwide box office, is a box office failure for Disney.
Granted this article is about a month old, but LM will need to make approximately $460M in world wide box office in order to reach that $560M figure.

Little Mermaid a flop
sleepybeagle
AG
Predmid said:

the entire line of live-action remakes have been terrrrrrible.

Would have been better to just do theatrical re-releases of the originals. Heck, make them sing-a-long versions with the lyrics up on the screen. Go nuts. The movies are already made. What production cost is there?

Better profits, better movies, and hitting that millennial parent nostalgia button to re-introduce the movies to an entire post-zoomer generation to the 90s golden years of animated disney movies.
It's not complicated

What families want:
A heart-warming story with action and suspense that has a positive moral message about family, friendship, love, good vs. evil, and over-coming adversity. Two hours of time together as a family to escape our day-to-day cares.

Disney marketing:
(crickets... and not the Jiminy kind)

captkirk
AG
BoydCrowder13 said:

Logos Stick said:

BoydCrowder13 said:

EclipseAg said:

They spent $250M (that they admit to) + another approx $125M for marketing. Domestic box office is $294, of which they get half or $147. Foreign box office is $260M, of which they get 40%, or $104M. $250+125-147-104= $124M in losses. It was a disaster. Their production budgets are out of control.
BoydCrowder13
akm91 said:

BoydCrowder13 said:

Logos Stick said:

BoydCrowder13 said:

EclipseAg said:

Quote:

With a $250 million production cost and a reported $140 million marketing cost, The Little Mermaid, under the most generous of projections, needs to gross approximately $560 million at the worldwide box office, according to Hollywood insiders, to reach its break-even threshold.

Quote:

The Little Mermaid, which has presently grossed approximately $326 million at the worldwide box office, is a box office failure for Disney.
Granted this article is about a month old, but LM will need to make approximately $460M in world wide box office in order to reach that $560M figure.

Little Mermaid a flop

It's at $554M currently. Again not a success. But it will break even.

For comparison, last year several films (Strange World, Lightyear, Babylon, Devotion) that lost $90-200M.

Agreed that the production budgets are out of control. Films should largely cost $100M or less to make. $250M is ridiculous.
captkirk
AG
BoydCrowder13 said:

akm91 said:

BoydCrowder13 said:

Logos Stick said:

BoydCrowder13 said:

EclipseAg said:

Quote:

Quote:

Little Mermaid a flop

For comparison, last year several films (Strange World, Lightyear, Babylon, Devotion) that lost $90-200M.
No - they have to split that with the movie theaters - see math above
kcucasiobmij
Logos Stick said:

BoydCrowder13 said:

EclipseAg said:

I don't think in the case of little mermaid the dei stuff helped or hurt it. It was just a live action version of an animated classic no one asked for. They did it because they are creatively bankrupt. The wokism is its own thing but they really have no new ideas and have basically driven all their IPs into the ground and keep trying to cannibalize them rather than get new ideas.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

The film runs on hate, not affection.

"Barbie," inspired by the Mattel toy dating back to 1959, loathes men to a degree that would make a Women's Studies major blush. It hates the Barbie toy itself, dubbing it "fascist" and worse throughout the film.

"Barbie" also hates women with sweet memories of the doll. Just know you supported the "Patriarchy" all those years ago. And maybe even now.

That leaves an ambitious film, scattered with well-earned laughs, that disintegrates during a disastrous third act.

[Time Magazine's review hinted at this too, although it clearly approves of that messaging more. Ed]
Via Hot Air

Quote:

"Woke" Movie Not So Woke, "Barbie Isn't a Feminist Icon," Says Writer
LINK
BoydCrowder13
captkirk said:

BoydCrowder13 said:

akm91 said:

BoydCrowder13 said:

Logos Stick said:

BoydCrowder13 said:

EclipseAg said:

Quote:

Quote:

Little Mermaid a flop

The $560M break even number quoted above included home media sales and television.

I'm aware they split the box office. Again, not arguing it was a success. But there have been 4 significant flops for Disney in the last 12 months. Much more notable the Little Mermaid.
BoydCrowder13
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

The film runs on hate, not affection.

"Barbie," inspired by the Mattel toy dating back to 1959, loathes men to a degree that would make a Women's Studies major blush. It hates the Barbie toy itself, dubbing it "fascist" and worse throughout the film.

"Barbie" also hates women with sweet memories of the doll. Just know you supported the "Patriarchy" all those years ago. And maybe even now.

That leaves an ambitious film, scattered with well-earned laughs, that disintegrates during a disastrous third act.

[Time Magazine's review hinted at this too, although it clearly approves of that messaging more. Ed]
Via Hot Air

Quote:

"Woke" Movie Not So Woke, "Barbie Isn't a Feminist Icon," Says Writer
LINK

You get your news from weird sites.
captkirk
AG
BoydCrowder13 said:

captkirk said:

BoydCrowder13 said:

akm91 said:

BoydCrowder13 said:

Logos Stick said:

BoydCrowder13 said:

EclipseAg said:

Quote:

Quote:

Little Mermaid a flop

The $560M break even number quoted above included home media sales and television.

I'm aware they split the box office. Again, not arguing it was a success. But there have been 4 significant flops for Disney in the last 12 months. Much more notable the Little Mermaid.
Add it to the pile of flops
Get Off My Lawn
Regardless whether it's a huge flop or just a disappointment; the Disney brand has degraded itself with movies that don't appeal to families who would have consumed their product in past decades.

I would also point out that it's unfair to judge Disney positively without juxtaposing their box office results with movies like Super Mario, and accounting for inflation and population when measuring against historical performance.

The little mermaid is riding on Disney name inertia, and propped up by a lack of competition. The brand is clearly weakening as continue to fail to produce family entertainment which excites prospective customers.
deddog
AG
Geddy Lee soul patch said:

Looks like a good time to buy Disney stock
It's also not a good idea to catch a falling knife.

I've caught a lot of those in my time.
Not a Bot
AG
One thing that should probably be pointed out is that a huge percentage of Disney subscriber losses in recent months come from the country of India. They paid something like $70 billion in the 21st Century Fox deal that included a streaming service which had the exclusive streaming rights to the Indian Premier Cricket League.

They don't have those exclusive rights anymore and subscribership to that service has fallen dramatically.

It would be like Fox and CBS losing the NFL.
Prosperdick
AG
One other note on the Little Mermaid is that the companies who produced the tie-in merchandise took such a bloodbath that now for movies like Snow White and the Seven Figure Loss, those same companies have contract language that makes Disney purchase back everything they can't sell...that will just further exacerbate their losses.
aggiehawg
AG
Prosperdick said:

One other note on the Little Mermaid is that the companies who produced the tie-in merchandise took such a bloodbath that now for movies like Snow White and the Seven Figure Loss, those same companies have contract language that makes Disney purchase back everything they can't sell...that will just further exacerbate their losses.
Exactly. Disney really is in a perfect storm of financial ruin coming at them from every direction and they still have the Hulu deal to figure out.
captkirk
AG
They've also destroyed Pixar
Prosperdick
AG
aggiehawg said:

Prosperdick said:

Exactly. Disney really is in a perfect storm of financial ruin coming at them from every direction and they still have the Hulu deal to figure out.
And I bet their same hubris will cause them to double down on Snow White and tell those companies to ramp up their toys and merchandise because who wouldn't want toys that looked this:
Iowaggie
AG
Prosperdick said:

aggiehawg said:

Prosperdick said:

And I bet their same hubris will cause them to double down on Snow White and tell those companies to ramp up their toys and merchandise because who wouldn't want toys that looked this:

It's nice to see representation in the movies.

It looks like the homeless of Seattle and Portland finally have their own movie characters to identify with.
Iowaggie
AG
Disney selling to Apple isn't going to modify a whole lot of things.

Logos Stick
Prosperdick said:

Snow White and the Seven Figure Loss....

LMAO.

Yeah, it's gonna be a bloodbath for that movie too.

Disney is lost.
Prosperdick
AG
Logos Stick said:

Prosperdick said:

Snow White and the Seven Figure Loss....

LMAO.

Yeah, it's gonna be a bloodbath for that movie too.

Disney is lost.
What's ironic is they'll be PRAYING for just a seven figure loss...eight figures is certainly on the table.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Bob Iger is seeking to reassure an anxious arm of Disney's business.
In an off-site meeting on Tuesday, the Disney chief executive spoke to senior leaders of the company's television businesses, CNN has learned. The meeting came just days after Iger made decidedly candid remarks to CNBC's David Faber in which he said Disney's linear business "may not be core" to the entertainment giant a comment that immediately sent shockwaves through the industry.

The admission to Faber naturally set off alarm bells inside Disney General Entertainment Content, the division of the Magic Kingdom that houses its linear business and operates quintessential broadcast and cable networks such as ABC, the Disney Channel, National Geographic, and FX.
Quote:

The chief executive on Tuesday sought to quell some of this unease as he fielded questions submitted by senior company leaders assembled at the off-site. He told the personnel gathered that the content created by the company's television production teams is "incredibly valuable to our business," according to a person with knowledge of his remarks.
Quote:

And Iger talked up the importance of ABC News: "I'm ridiculously passionate about news," Iger said, according to the person familiar with his comments. "It's important to this company. We need to figure out how it makes the transition into streaming. And I happen to believe we will endure. It's too good, it's too important, and it's really fun."
Wait, what? Streaming? ABC News?

Quote:

Of course, those comments are unlikely to entirely calm the rattled nerves of those working in Disney's television businesses. While Iger did not explicitly tell Faber that he wanted to sell the linear stations and networks, he effectively put that sector of the business on the market with his comments.

Expressing passion for the news does not solve for that. No one has ever doubted Iger's love for the news business. And it comes as no surprise that Iger believes the content produced by the television production teams holds incredible value.

The important question is and always has been whether the linear television businesses are crucial to Disney, particularly as Iger positions the company for the future. Iger has already answered that and candidly so. "They may not be core to Disney," he openly told Faber.

As one Disney insider told me on Tuesday, Iger's remarks to senior leaders were "the usual jewel in the crown stuff except now we know that he's selling the jewel."
LINK
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.