DeSantis..looks, voice and personality a hindrance?

6,599 Views | 105 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by aggie93
Rapier108
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Funky Winkerbean said:

agz win said:

Just Googled and Wiki has him at 5'9" with black eyes. There's also info on him wearing lifts.

The Trumpers group at work.
You're projecting your TDS if you think it's Republicans trying to shoot him down.
You're right. It isn't Republicans.

It is the Trump cult.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Rapier108 said:

Funky Winkerbean said:

agz win said:

Just Googled and Wiki has him at 5'9" with black eyes. There's also info on him wearing lifts.

You're projecting your TDS if you think it's Republicans trying to shoot him down.

It is the Trump cult.
How original. Apparently we've reached your intellectual boundaries.
zephyr88
AG
Tanya 93 said:

As a chick, I think DeSantis is more attractive than Donald when he was in his 40's.
Tanya definitely NOT a gold digger...
ts5641
GeorgiAg said:

I like DeSantis. But he does have a weird laugh and makes weird faces sometimes. As far as looks go, he looks fine to me, but I like women so I defer to the ladies on that one.

His campaign so far has been disappointing. Hopefully he crushes a debate or two.
It has definitely not been the start I had hoped for and pictured that it would be. Maybe too much time on F16 thinking the typical GOP voter was jazzed by DeSantis and knew Trump would lose. But most aren't getting this at all.
I also think the MSM are doing everything they can to keep Trump in the limelight and just not give much attention to RD. They want to keep people thinking and talking about Trump and wanting revenge. They know he's a loser and will easily lose the general.
ts5641
The Banned said:

Probably, because people can be incredibly dumb. We already saw how many wouldn't vote for trump based on his personality and gave us Joe. We know personality, voice and looks have held Cruz back
He probably could get Casey on the campaign trail more. She's attractive and as a mom and cancer survivor, I think she has broad appeal to the soccer moms in suburbia.
ts5641
Joes said:

Yeah, whatever it is with him the sad reality is that an enormous number of people will make their decision based on party line first and superficial items second and policy/character a distant third.

It's why I always try to remind myself, although it's difficult, to not worry about this stuff too much, people are hopeless. I always envision the night following the 2008 election being at someone's apartment with 5 or 6 people talking and one guy proudly announcing he voted for Obama because "he seems cool!"

All I could think was "well, he just cancelled out my vote based on policy and history and research, I guess we should have nominated Fonzie, instead."

How many people voted for Kennedy or Clinton because they were "cool" or had great hair?

We're in an insane asylum, not to be taken seriously.
The dems love to have a messiah like figure to look up to. They put Bill Clinton and Barry O up as saviors. They believed they had a rock star like aura about them. They couldn't care less about their policies. "Oh he's so dreamy so whatever he says is true."
ts5641
Definitely Not A Cop said:

The guy is one of the most popular elected figures in a battleground state in decades. This "likability" issue is largely a a false narrative by people who were never going to vote for him trying to downplay his success so they don't have to discuss policy.
I hope you're right, but he needs to get out and get his message out more forcefully. The time is now!
LMCane
MouthBQ98 said:

He does come across as a little whiny and wonkish, like that know it all "Atchually" kid you knew (or were) in school but wise people can look past that.

Unfortunately a LOT of voters vote based on likability or other idiotic superficial characteristics so it does matter.
LMAO

"a lot of voters vote based on likability"...

so let's nominate the 80 year old who already lost to Dementia Joe and is hated by 53% of the American public"
LMCane
hmmm Trump Bots say what?

Good thing that Trump is so much thinner and more attractive!

96AgGrad
AG
I don't care if the guy is purple. He's the most successful executive conservatives have had in decades. Don't overthink it.
LMCane
Nanomachines son said:

He's not good at speaking off the cuff and is too wooden.

He doesn't have the general southern friendless that Bush had nor does he have the boisterous personality that Trump has. There is nothing to make him stand out much and unfortunately that is what matters most do voters.

Trump and Bush were able to speak to anyone easily because of their personalities and people found them approachable. Desantis just doesn't have that.
worst take ever

joe crombie
Like Trump is some sort of symbol of physical virility. Trump talks like frank constanza with a more nasally voice. He is also shaped like a giant pear, and spray tans while maintaining a ridiculous combover.

DeSantis is short but everything else is head and shoulders above Trump in terms of presentation. Unless, your idea of presentation is middle school level insults that don't help win easy elections in places like Arizona and Georgia.
Ag with kids
AG
LMCane said:

Nanomachines son said:

He's not good at speaking off the cuff and is too wooden.

He doesn't have the general southern friendless that Bush had nor does he have the boisterous personality that Trump has. There is nothing to make him stand out much and unfortunately that is what matters most do voters.

Trump and Bush were able to speak to anyone easily because of their personalities and people found them approachable. Desantis just doesn't have that.
worst take ever

Where are the circles on the ground to keep all the people from dying?
TxTarpon

Quote:

20 27 William H. Taft 5 ft 11.5 in
And 5 foot wide at one point.
No Spin Ag
TxTarpon said:

Quote:

20 27 William H. Taft 5 ft 11.5 in
And 5 foot wide at one point.

Lol! Well played, sir.
There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the later ignorance. Hippocrates
LMCane
yeah DeSantis is so short I can't even see him

LMCane
If only Ron could have been as physically in shape as Donald Trump.

that is a really great analysis- thanks OP!

AGHouston11
AG
Desantis usually wears boots with a fairly large heal. The boots are a good look.

It's amazing the sensitivity over the mention of height.
Desantis could be 6'3" and it doesn't change anything. That's not the issue.

samurai_science
astro_ag said:

De Santis also has low emotional intelligence, he can't read a room to save his life
I will quote Jordan Peterson here:

There is no such thing as EQ. Let me repeat that: "There is NO SUCH THING AS EQ." The idea was popularized by a journalist, Daniel Goleman, not a psychologist. You can't just invent a trait. You have to define it and measure it and distinguish it from other traits and use it to predict the important ways that people vary.

EQ is not a psychometrically valid concept. Insofar as it is anything (which it isn't) it's the Big Five trait agreeableness, although this depends, as it shouldn't, on which EQ measure is being used (they should all measure THE SAME THING). Agreeable people are compassionate and polite, but they can also be pushovers. Disagreeable people, on average (if they aren't too disagreeable) make better managers, because they are straightforward, don't avoid conflict and cannot be easily manipulated.

Let me say it again: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS EQ. Scientifically, it's a fraudulent concept, a fad, a convenient band-wagon, a corporate marketing scheme.
GeographyAg
AG
I'm a woman and I think Desantis is adorable. He's a cutie, plus he's smart and well-spoken. I do think his voice would be nicer a little deeper, but I don't find it off-putting the way it is. He seems sincere when he speaks.

OTOH no amount of muscle makes for RFKJr's weird voice.

Trump I have always found revolting, even before his presidential run.

Biden is creepy and unattractive to me, but he's also got that smarmy corrupt politician thing going for him.

I find Ted Cruz much more attractive now that he's grown a beard.

I think Gavin Newsome is too full of himself to be remotely attractive (plus I hate his hair). A guy who thinks he's all that is a huge turn-off, imho.
If I’m posting, it’s actually Mrs GeographyAg.
Mr. GeographyAg is a dedicated lurker.
annie88
AG
Good thing that Trump is so much thinner and more attractive!

Who is saying that?

Good grief, another DeSantis thread mucked up by all the TDS people.

DeSantis is clearly better looking than Trump.
annie88
AG
I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure RFKJR had cancer and that's why his throat is so raspy.
annie88
AG
Rocky Rider said:

Melania looks like she can't stand to breath the same air as The Donald. I'm sure she has good reason. Tells me all I need to know.

I've never got the sense of all of this. She seems very happy with him and could've left him at any time.

I think some of them just want to make **** up. For you to even say "tells me all I need to know". You don't know ***** You don't like him so you want to think that.

Good Lord. Are you going to now claim that DeSantis's wife doesn't like him if she's not smiling in a photo? Of course not because that's ridiculous.
annie88
AG
nortex97 said:

There was, around 20 years ago a theory that whichever candidate had the better hair would win the female vote. That may sound preposterous but I swear they had data to back that up. The only thing I can say is I think his hair is pretty 'good' but I am a bit hesitant to think it matters anymore.

When Richard Nixon debated John F Kennedy, on camera, he looked so pasty and sweaty, and Kennedy looked so healthy, although he really wasn't he was probably one of our most unhealthy presidents ever, but the image was projected much better. Many think this is one of the reasons that lead him to actually win.
annie88
AG
halfastros81 said:

It's unfortunate but sadly you are 100% correct that many people put no more than superficial thought into how to cast their votes . I wish there was a way to change that but I don't have a clue how.

You should be more concerned with the Democrats cheating in elections. Clearly shows it doesn't matter what kind of racist perverted piece of **** "wins"
aggie93
AG
I have to think DeSantis continuing to do interviews like this is going to help him with the women vote, I know this kind of thing certainly connects with my wife.

"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
Dimebag Darrell
ts5641 said:

GeorgiAg said:

I like DeSantis. But he does have a weird laugh and makes weird faces sometimes. As far as looks go, he looks fine to me, but I like women so I defer to the ladies on that one.

His campaign so far has been disappointing. Hopefully he crushes a debate or two.
It has definitely not been the start I had hoped for and pictured that it would be. Maybe too much time on F16 thinking the typical GOP voter was jazzed by DeSantis and knew Trump would lose. But most aren't getting this at all.
I also think the MSM are doing everything they can to keep Trump in the limelight and just not give much attention to RD. They want to keep people thinking and talking about Trump and wanting revenge. They know he's a loser and will easily lose the general.
Unfortunately, we F16'ers are probably top 0.5% of people in this country, in terms of really following politics and political current events and dissecting them under a microscope. And constantly being exposed to the left, their propaganda, and their slimy tactics and diabolical nature. I forget this time and time again.

It's depressing, and does not bode well for us.

Trump will be the pick. And he will lose. Probably to Gavin Newsom. That is my genuine expectation. But he would even lose to a dying Biden imo.
AgBandsman
AG
Geddy Lee soul patch said:

Yes, we'd like to elect someone solely on their policy positions and leadership qualities...but we also know there are many intangibles that make someone electable to the general populace.

Like many of you, I'm curious why DeSantis isn't capturing the poll numbers that were expected of him. Yes, it's still early, but it's something that I've been thinking about lately...are there physical and personality issues that are holding him back?

Would he be doing better if he were:
Taller and thinner?
More charismatic?
Didn't have a voice that reminds some people of Kermit the Frog or some other Muppet?

Could it be because you live in the F16 echo chamber? Polls show he's losing to Trump in his own state. Even Walter Mondale won his own state against Reagan in 1984 (the only state Mondale won). Someday this board will catch on....
annie88
AG
Funky Winkerbean said:

Rapier108 said:

Funky Winkerbean said:

agz win said:

It is the Trump cult.

The 50 degree weather in Iceland has gotten me very bold (not looking forward to coming back to 100 tomorrow) but here goes. Gonna piss a lot of people off with this one, but honey badger don't care.

I'm only going to use this term because I find it humorous given how much they like to call Trump supporters names but the 'DeSimps' are getting overly touchy about their guy like they always claim we are.

I don't dislike DeSantis, I don't need to run him down just to support Trump.

INCOMING!
Dimebag Darrell
AgBandsman said:

Yes, we'd like to elect someone solely on their policy positions and leadership qualities...but we also know there are many intangibles that make someone electable to the general populace.

Like many of you, I'm curious why DeSantis isn't capturing the poll numbers that were expected of him. Yes, it's still early, but it's something that I've been thinking about lately...are there physical and personality issues that are holding him back?

Taller and thinner?
More charismatic?
Didn't have a voice that reminds some people of Kermit the Frog or some other Muppet?

Could it be because you live in the F16 echo chamber? Polls show he's losing to Trump in his own state. Even Walter Mondale won his own state against Reagan in 1984 (the only state Mondale won). Someday this board will catch on....
Trump is right where the leftist string pullers want him. This is all by design...keep him front and center. They are praying to their perverted pagan gods that he is the nominee. Keep him and only him in the news and keep making him a martyr. It's working. The last thing they want is to face Desantis, I don't know how more can't see this. I don't even know what Desantis can do at this point.

They are brilliant. But they also own all of the media, entertainment, and governmental agencies, so it's not like it's a fair fight at all. But still have to hand it to them. They play long game chess and we play half-assed Connect 4.
Dimebag Darrell
LMCane said:

If only Ron could have been as physically in shape as Donald Trump.

that is a really great analysis- thanks OP!

Led his collegiate team with a very impressive batting avg if I remember correctly. But doesn't hold a candle to Trump physically.

aggie93
AG
AgBandsman said:

Taller and thinner?
More charismatic?

No, it's because polls at this point are driven more by Name ID because most people aren't paying close attention. Trump is also from FL so that isn't a valid comparison with Reagan and I would be very surprised if DeSantis doesn't win FL in the end, his organization alone will get him that W.

Look at the news and any stories about this race are buried and very surface level because people aren't concerned about it. They also know that in 5 or 6 months all they are going to hear is election talk for the entirety of 2024. This is still preseason and we have a ways to go before the first game, quite a ways actually.
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
Dimebag Darrell
annie88 said:

Funky Winkerbean said:

Rapier108 said:

Funky Winkerbean said:

agz win said:

It is the Trump cult.

The 50 degree weather in Iceland has gotten me very bold (not looking forward to coming back to 100 tomorrow) but here goes. Gonna piss a lot of people off with this one, but honey badger don't care.

I'm only going to use this term because I find it humorous given how much they like to call Trump supporters names but the 'DeSimps' are getting overly touchy about their guy like they always claim we are.

I don't dislike DeSantis, I don't need to run him down just to support Trump.

INCOMING!
Trump keeps running him down with sleazy lies and lazy immature insults and it resonates with his base. That is the frustrating part.

Actually, even more frustrating is how Trump is constantly attacking Desantis from the left...because there is only one conservative between the two of them.
Yellerjacket
I thought Desantis was shorter than he is as well.
I guess he just has the look of a short guy.
Kind of reminds me of Jimbo. Jimbo seems like he's about 5' 3" to me with his big ole head and stubby thumb.
annie88
AG
I'm sorry you're going through this.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.