Now they're BACK to blaming Reagan

4,427 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by LMCane
Krazykat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
pdc093 said:

I think a lot of people today live well beyond their means. We just did without if we couldn't afford something. Debt used to be a "4 letter" word.
JB!98
AG
Kansas Kid said:

BoydCrowder13 said:

I mean the housing thing is an issue.

The average home price in 1980 was $73k. Median household income was $16k. House was 4.5X annual earnings.

The average home price in 2023 is $550k. Median household income is $80k. House is now 6.8X annual earnings.

I know homes are nicer now and larger. But there really aren't many options in the smaller house range anymore. A lot of been torn down over the years for massive rebuilds. Even in the Houston suburb area, you can't find anything less than $300k. And at these rates, that is still a $2,200 monthly payment.

Housing costs are going to be a big issue for this next generation.

And in 1981 mortgage rates were over 18% so the house today is similar on affordability assuming you are using a 30 year mortgage to buy it. Factor in the bigger house (and usually higher end finishes) and you are getting a better deal.
You got it. When I moved back in with my mom and dad they had bought a new house on 10 acres. Great place and I could hunt it and the places around it. Much to my surprise one day I was told we have to move as the house was up for sale. 16% interest rate and inflation on top of it were too much for them to bear. This would have been around 1983.

We moved to a small rent house on 200 acres and it was better than that new house to me. More land to hunt on and ride my dirt bike. Kids back then were easily occupied. Loved that place.
NonReg85
AG
Before Reagan most adults were responsible and didn't waste their money on stupid *****
Kansas Kid
NonReg85 said:

Before Reagan most adults were responsible and didn't waste their money on stupid *****

Hey, don't knock the $20 avocado toast and $8 latte until you try them…..
Not Coach Jimbo
The work force has been diluted for years... it turns out that massive immigration along with encouraging women to join the workforce has has a negative impact on wage growth...

Imagine that...

At least we have cheap goods...?
LMCane
which party has occupied the Presidency for over 20 years since Reagan?
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.