Now they're BACK to blaming Reagan

4,424 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by LMCane
pdc093
How long do you want to ignore this user?

DallasAg 94
Ag87H2O
AG

More leftist drivel
Decay
AG
Before Lincoln and the Republicans, slavery was legal.

Today, Democrats now have to sit around and depend on the government instead of slaves.
93MarineHorn
Ah yes, the late 70's were the apex of the American ideal: High unemployment, crime, interest rates and of course, fashion.

Rocky Rider
AG
They can blame almost every President after Reagan and this includes the Bush family
P.U.T.U
AG
Blaming someone that left office almost a quarter century ago. Kind of a stretch don't you think?
Based Hiker
Grasping at straws. Who will be blamed when the cultural collapse occurs?
Get Off My Lawn
Oh! I can play this game!

"Before central banking and the unchecked printing of fiat currency…"

"Before feminism and the 19th amendment…"

"Before mass migration and choking regulation…"
Kansas Kid
And let's look at the standard of living now vs 1980. For example, the average house size in 1970 was 1500 sq ft. It is now 2500 sq ft. Back in the 1970s, many families had one car and no garage. Now many people have more cars than drivers and a three car attached garage. And then there is the rate of dining out….
Maroon Dawn
AG
Hmmmm

Almost like if only 50% of the population was working then wages were 50% higher. But when the working population increased 50%, wages decreased
aggiehawg
AG
When Reagan was President, American businesses produced things. Their stock prices were tied to actual earnings. That was before LBOs and wrecking companies became very profitable and market manipulation a lot easier to do.

Then by the 90s, actual earnings went out of the window with the dot.com boom. Young workers were getting rich on signing bonueses and stock options. They didn't want pensions. They wanted the money now.
schmellba99
AG
Before Reagan, you had to wait in line on certain days of the week to get a limited amount of gasoline also. Before Reagan, interest rates for home loans were often above 10% and it wasn't unusual for them to be above 15%.

Before Reagan, we actually had domestic manufacturing. Before Reagan, homes were smaller, we didn't have the materialistic "I need the instagram lifestyle NOW! even though I'm 24 and fresh out of college" mentality. Before Reagan, we typically made things last longer and weren't so apt to throw things away. Pizza Hut was often a big deal on going out as a family, etc.

The Banned
Kansas Kid said:

And let's look at the standard of living now vs 1980. For example, the average house size in 1970 was 1500 sq ft. It is now 2500 sq ft. Back in the 1970s, many families had one car and no garage. Now many people have more cars than drivers and a three car attached garage. And then there is the rate of dining out….

Hardest thing to get across to those that complain about how boomers could have it all at such an early age. They didn't have half the expectations we have now
Phatbob
AG
Before Reagan having more than one bathroom in a house meant you were rich.
schmellba99
AG
The Banned said:

Kansas Kid said:

Hardest thing to get across to those that complain about how boomers could have it all at such an early age. They didn't have half the expectations we have now
And they certainly didn't have it all at an early age either. The idea that they did is purely a made up idea.

Sure, there were some that did just like there are always some that have the means from the second they are born. But the vast majority didn't even come close.

My dad was a mechanical engineer for DOW. Made good enough money, mom worked every now and again but largely was a stay at home mom. 3 boys. Dad drove old beat up cars and trucks his entire life. Mom got a new car every 10 years or so. We lived in a very modest house, like most other people in the area. dad brought his lunch to work 29 days out of 30, and it was either leftovers or something like a bologna sandwich.

We wore levis and wranglers, mom patched our jeans when we tore them. When they wore out, they became cutoff's for us to wear during the summers. We got a new pair of shoes for school once a year and they had to last. Meals were cooked at home, usually with far lower quality of ingredients than most people would tolerate now - steaks were the thin cut butcher specials, probably select grade. A whole lot of rice was used because it was cheap and you could do a lot of things with it. We didn't go on a real vacation until I was about 10. Prior to that it was going to east Texas for a week, if we went at all that year. Mom and dad didn't really become financially comfortable until all of us were well out of the house and they were in their mid to late 50's.

I know talking with my parents as I got older and had kids of my own, there were times where making the mortgage was a challenge and budget cuts were made to ensure we could keep the roof over our head.

All of these things are foreign to most younger kids these days (generalizing, I know). The standard of living now is an order of magnitude higher than it was, we have so many more choices of all products now, much easier to separate us from our money with the internet and like it or not, social media has absolutely warped the view of what the real world really is like for a great number of people. Plus, we used to be taught to work hard to earn, now it seems as if younger generations are taught they are owned everything from the get go.
Daddy
AG
Probably having 2 75k vehicles every 5 years has something to it
TAMUallen
AG
Before Reagan we were about as respected as having a senile old man running the leading worldwide corporation.

Wait... what?
Maroon Dawn
AG
Seriously though, Reagan Derangement Syndrome is a mass psychosis among the Left

According to them, the Carter years were this golden age of America where all goods and services were cheap and plentiful, everybody was in a union that paid $100 dollars an hour even if it was to just sweep floors, college was completely and totally free everywhere, racism was non existent, HC was free, housing was free…

It goes on and on but it's astonishing how they believe all of this was true…until mean old Reagan got rid of it all!
Psycho Bunny
93MarineHorn said:

Ah yes, the late 70's were the apex of the American ideal: High unemployment, crime, interest rates and of course, fashion.

Ahh the 70's fashion

How ever if you see the so called "first lady" you can see 70's couch fabric in all it's glory.
Eso si, Que es
Psycho Bunny said:

93MarineHorn said:

Ahh the 70's fashion

How ever if you see the so called "first lady"b you can see 70's couch fabric in all it's glory.
That was my living room in the 80's exactly, except we had a red carpet..same lace curtain, exactly same couch and coffee table. Same oversized stereo speaker.

Just wow
B-1 83
AG
You can't pay rent and utilities on over $100k a year? Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

They lie, too!
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
Trajan88
AG
Fact check The Snarky Pundit's meme...

Behaviors/decisions have consequences.

Don't get married, don't have kids, do spend less than make until one's established, settled.
AggieVictor10
AG
Wouldn't be an issue if people could just live within their means or make more money. It's not that hard if you didn't get through life as a woke diversity hire.
hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. good times create weak men. and weak men create hard times.

less virtue signaling, more vice signaling.

Birds aren’t real
Lol,lmao
Fjb
CoachtobeNamed$$$
Psycho Bunny said:

93MarineHorn said:

Ahh the 70's fashion

How ever if you see the so called "first lady" you can see 70's couch fabric in all it's glory.
Wow! That's exactly what I bought after I got out of school in 1980 and earned enough money to furnish my apartment. Didn't buy my second set of living room furniture until '89.
JB!98
AG
Eso si, Que es said:

Psycho Bunny said:

93MarineHorn said:

Ahh the 70's fashion

How ever if you see the so called "first lady"b you can see 70's couch fabric in all it's glory.
That was my living room in the 80's exactly, except we had a red carpet..same lace curtain, exactly same couch and coffee table. Same oversized stereo speaker.

Just wow
My grandparents for the most part raised me. My grandma was a stay at home mom and grandpa was the fire chief at the Naval Air Station. Grandpa also had a band, his own used car lot, and bought old houses for rental properties, as extra income.

I very vividly remember him taking my grandma window shopping after dark to the local Lacks to look at new furniture. The stuff she liked looked very much like that. She wanted it so bad. They had a fight/conversation in the car and she blurted out, "We have $25,000 in savings and you can't buy that for me." My grandpa froze and turned around and told me. "Don't you ever tell anyone about that money, ever!" Fear of God type stuff to a 7 year old. He was scared if it got out his friends would think they were rich. Just a random memory from circa 1978.

P.S. Grandma got the furniture!
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

P.S. Grandma got the furniture!
LOL. Around the mid 1970s, my Grandad bought a new truck for the farm. Super cab, extra long bed.But my grandmother was too short to drive it. So she wanted a new car that she could drive more easily. Grandad told her he would buy her any car she wanted. But he knew she would never be able to decide on one. he was right. She never could decide tired of having to drop what he was doing to drive her somewhere, he took matters into his own hands and bought her a very gently used car (less than 5,000 miles on it). He never heard the end of that one as she hadn't picked it out but at least she could drive herself and leave him alone.
stetson
AG
Biden out with a tweet today blaming the economy on Trump's "trickle down" policies. You can smell the desperation…
FJB
APHIS AG
pdc093 said:

Up until Trump, Reagan was the proverbial "boogeyman" to leftest and Democrats. I used to go to the "Democratic Underground", a forum for leftest, just to be amused by their stupidity, and just the mention of Reagan would bring a tirade of hate and this continued until Trump was elected.
eric76
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

Maybe we should end Social Security and convert it to a corporate owned pension.
If they had actually invested the Social Security money, the payout would be much higher than now and be on a solid financial basis long into the future.

Instead, they used it to fund the government at a very minimal interest rate.
eric76
AG
93MarineHorn said:

The late 1960s and early 1970s were much better fashionwise.

Ever seen real bell bottoms?

Also, the colors were far more vibrant than today.
BoydCrowder13
I mean the housing thing is an issue.

The average home price in 1980 was $73k. Median household income was $16k. House was 4.5X annual earnings.

The average home price in 2023 is $550k. Median household income is $80k. House is now 6.8X annual earnings.

I know homes are nicer now and larger. But there really aren't many options in the smaller house range anymore. A lot of been torn down over the years for massive rebuilds. Even in the Houston suburb area, you can't find anything less than $300k. And at these rates, that is still a $2,200 monthly payment.

Housing costs are going to be a big issue for this next generation.

eric76
AG
In the late 1970s, I paid $75 per month rent to rent an old house.
Kansas Kid
BoydCrowder13 said:

The average home price in 1980 was $73k. Median household income was $16k. House was 4.5X annual earnings.

The average home price in 2023 is $550k. Median household income is $80k. House is now 6.8X annual earnings.

I know homes are nicer now and larger. But there really aren't many options in the smaller house range anymore. A lot of been torn down over the years for massive rebuilds. Even in the Houston suburb area, you can't find anything less than $300k. And at these rates, that is still a $2,200 monthly payment.

And in 1981 mortgage rates were over 18% so the house today is similar on affordability assuming you are using a 30 year mortgage to buy it. Factor in the bigger house (and usually higher end finishes) and you are getting a better deal.
BigRobSA
BoydCrowder13 said:

Why is Reagan doing that!?!?!

Reaaaaagggggggaaaaaaaaan!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.