Voting Rights Act lives another day

2,454 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by YouBet
BassCowboy33
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Big surprise from this morning.
Rapier108
Trash ruling by Roberts, Kavanaugh, and the commies on the Court.
Ag87H2O
AG
I have come to expect bad decisions like this from Roberts. It's a shame to see Kavanaugh channeling his inner Roberts and taking the same path.
MouthBQ98
AG
So, racism is ok if it is the useful, patronizing and condescending type of racism?
CactusThomas
AG
Kav liked beer. He still likes beer.

Its bud light.
MouthBQ98
AG
So, lumping minority voters into token political districts by assuming their race is their meaningful political identity group is still the law of the land? The good old racist VRA lives on…
Get Off My Lawn
Ag87H2O said:

I have come to expect bad decisions like this from Roberts. It's a shame to see Kavanaugh channeling his inner Roberts and taking the same path.
I could handle it if they were gaming the game to give the left enough minor wins to give the illusion of "balance" as they kept their eye on the prize - but it's clear that they're just squishes who believe in DC rather than her foundling's principles.
BassCowboy33
From what I understand, this ruling states that Alabama intentionally set the districts so that black voters, who encompass 26% of the state, would be massively underrepresented.

The strategy is a fairly open secret and applies to more than race at times. Still a bit of a surprise with the ruling, although Kavanaugh is known to have an independent streak.
TheEternalPessimist
Our Congressional Maps that we draw here in Alabama are NOT the business of the Federal Government.

I don't know why I wasted my time defending Kavanaugh.

MouthBQ98
AG
This presumes that black voters' individual political interests are and remain based upon their skin color and that they are not diverse political individuals who can effectively be represented by persons who do not look like them, and should be free to make that choice without biases constructed into law.

Ie=. The law itself is racist and assumes the stereotype that all black people are the fundamentally the same and share the same political interests.

BassCowboy33
In terms of Kavanaugh's mindset, this is pretty telling. Likely to lose him a chunk of support in certain circles.
TheEternalPessimist
The history of Alabama is not relevant here. What is relevant is whether or not Alabama has the right to draw it's congressional lines/districts as it sees fit.

This is all about giving the Democrats a second congressional district. It's not about black voting rights. There are blacks that live in every county in Alabama. They are represented as well even if they are in GOP majority areas.
amercer
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

This presumes that black voters' individual political interests are and remain based upon their skin color and that they are not diverse political individuals who can effectively be represented by persons who do not look like them.

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what the republicans who drew the lines concluded….
Not a Bot
AG
BassCowboy33 said:

In terms of Kavanaugh's mindset, this is pretty telling. Likely to lose him a chunk of support in certain circles.

That was a quote from the District Court. The text posted in that tweet is from the summary, which Kavenaugh did not write.

Would encourage people to actually read the opinion. Even Alabama's own expert admitted that many of the drawn districts dilute black voters.
AgGrad99
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

This presumes that black voters' individual political interests are and remain based upon their skin color
Well said. The simple act of recognizing this premise, is racist...but that's what the ruling is based on.

I spent my entire youth being told not to see color. But it seems that (and sexual orientation) is all that's used to determine this country's path anymore.
Not a Bot
AG
The opinion summary quoted the District Court, who heard testimony on the numbers. Something like 92.3% of black voters tend to vote for one candidate.
DenverAg91
AG
The only discrimination that happens in redistricting happens on political lines not racial.

If black voters voted 90/10 Republican, Democrats would want to minimize the voting power of black voters and Republicans would want to give them as many districts as possible

Whether you like it or not, gerrymandering is a thing and if Democrats are going to gerrymander, we are fighting with one hand tied behind our backs if we don't do the same
AgGrad99
AG
Not a Bot said:

The opinion summary quoted the District Court, who heard testimony on the numbers. Something like 92.3% of black voters tend to vote for one candidate.

They're still free to vote for whomever they choose. Putting them in a racial box, and acting like they cannot think past skin color is racist and insulting to a large group of people.

It's similar to the discussion about voter ID, when many black voters were insulted by the insinuation they weren't capable of getting an ID.
TexAgs91
AG
Bad Trump
America the Beautiful
1776 - 2020
BassCowboy33
Not a Bot said:

BassCowboy33 said:

That was a quote from the District Court. The text posted in that tweet is from the summary, which Kavenaugh did not write.

Would encourage people to actually read the opinion. Even Alabama's own expert admitted that many of the drawn districts dilute black voters.
samurai_science
Who cares if it dilutes Democrat voters? Democrat's started the practice and its a good way to fight back.
TheEternalPessimist
DenverAg91 said:

The only discrimination that happens in redistricting happens on political lines not racial.

If black voters voted 90/10 Republican, Democrats would want to minimize the voting power of black voters and Republicans would want to give them as many districts as possible

Whether you like it or not, gerrymandering is a thing and if Democrats are going to gerrymander, we are fighting with one hand tied behind our backs if we don't do the same

This is the Extreme Gerrymander in Illinois that targeted splitting up outer suburban and rural mostly-white communities to dilute potential GOP seats in the US House.

So you can split up white suburban and rural voters to empower Democrats but not split up black areas to empower Republicans. I would love to hear a consistent rationale from our resident goaltenders on this........
Muktheduck
MouthBQ98 said:

This presumes that black voters' individual political interests are and remain based upon their skin color and that they are not diverse political individuals who can effectively be represented by persons who do not look like them, and should be free to make that choice without biases constructed into law.

Ie=. The law itself is racist and assumes the stereotype that all black people are the fundamentally the same and share the same political interests.

That's been the political reality for the last 60 years.

The majority of Blacks that self identify as conservative still vote Democrat
TxTarpon
MouthBQ98 said:

So, racism is ok if it is the useful, patronizing and condescending type of racism?
Black People > White People when it comes to voting and stuff in the south.
twk
AG
BassCowboy33 said:

From what I understand, this ruling states that Alabama intentionally set the districts so that black voters, who encompass 26% of the state, would be massively underrepresented.

The strategy is a fairly open secret and applies to more than race at times. Still a bit of a surprise with the ruling, although Kavanaugh is known to have an independent streak.
I have just skimmed through the summary, but I don't believe that is the holding. There is discussion about "intent vs. effect," the gist of which is that it doesn't matter what your intent is (in this case, Alabama said that its intent was to avoid splitting up the Gulf Coast, rather than to draw one less black district), if the effect is to draw less minority districts than could otherwise be drawn without getting into crazy shapes.

I don't like the ruling, but the Republicans can use it to their advantage and require packing of minorities into majority-minority districts that will make it harder for non-minority Democrats in other districts.
BigRobSA
TexAgs91 said:

Bad Trump

Your TDS is showing!!!!1
BTKAG97
AG
twk said:

BassCowboy33 said:

I have just skimmed through the summary, but I don't believe that is the holding. There is discussion about "intent vs. effect," the gist of which is that it doesn't matter what your intent is (in this case, Alabama said that its intent was to avoid splitting up the Gulf Coast, rather than to draw one less black district), if the effect is to draw less minority districts than could otherwise be drawn without getting into crazy shapes.

I don't like the ruling, but the Republicans can use it to their advantage and require packing of minorities into majority-minority districts that will make it harder for non-minority Democrats in other districts.
Correct, The Court just voted FOR Gerrymandering.

This is NOT Gerrymandering:

Blacks constitute 26.59% of the population in Alabma which is 1.86 congressional seats out of 7.

Gerrymander the hell out of those districts so Blacks will get 1 seat and maybe a 2nd seat. Giving Blacks a guaranteed 2nd seat may be hard to do given racial population densities across the state.

District 7 is predominately Black and is the only Democrat House seat in the state. The remaining Black majority resides in Conecuh, Montgomery, Bullock, Macon, and Barbour Counties - which are ALL in District 2 which is an R+17 District. In order to make District 2 more competitive for Blacks then District 7 will have to be less competitive.

Maybe you can move Clarke and Choctaw counties from 7 into District 1 along with Conecuh county from District 2, but you're still diluting District 7.

https://bestneighborhood.org/race-in-alabama/

Grapesoda2525
DenverAg91 said:

Republicans are much more vicious with the gerrymandering pen then democrats will ever be. The GOP controls way more state legislatures and is ruthless.
Eso si, Que es
So Dems can't gerrymander districts that over urbanize the suburbs right, because that would dilute the white suburban vote?

BTKAG97
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

DenverAg91 said:

Republicans are much more vicious with the gerrymandering pen then democrats will ever be. The GOP controls way more state legislatures and is ruthless.
Calling bull**** on the fabricated crap.
TheEternalPessimist
Grapesoda2525 said:

DenverAg91 said:

Illinois and Maryland prove otherwise. Spare me.
TheEternalPessimist
I wish our state government here in Alabama would grow a spine and tell the SCOTUS and the Feds to stick it.

The overwhelming majority here would support such a move.

Grapesoda2525
TheEternalPessimist said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

DenverAg91 said:

Illinois and Maryland prove otherwise. Spare me.
This is fun.

What about Tennessee, Kansas, Oklahoma, Utah or Arkansas?
Grapesoda2525
Everyone's favorite justice was hard at work today.

BTKAG97
AG

Anybody who thinks this is gerrymandered is an idiot.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.