AI drone kills it's operator in USAF simulated test

7,303 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by Stat Monitor Repairman
APHIS AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
MarathonAg12 said:

AI and the robots will take out the human race because of how ****ed up of a species we have become.

This is what happens when common sense is replaced with stupidity like trying to explain to an AI that a male can become a female just by them saying they are.
Pumpkinhead
AG
YouBet said:

Upon further review, this had to be a simulation and not a real death because the Chief of AI would not be talking so callously and casually about a dead soldier under his command.

The title of this thread and the article literally says 'Simulated Test'

Yes, it was just a computer simulation. Nobody actually died.
YouBet
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

YouBet said:

Upon further review, this had to be a simulation and not a real death because the Chief of AI would not be talking so callously and casually about a dead soldier under his command.

The title of this thread and the article literally says 'Simulated Test'

Yes, it was just a computer simulation. Nobody actually died.

The redundancy of terms probably through people off.

They should have just said simulation and left it at that.
jac4
AG
Skynet was the protagonist, change my mind.

Especially in our stupid timeline. I think I'm rooting for the machines.
Stat Monitor Repairman
What a time to be alive!

The future is NOW!
SanAntoneAg
AG
Maybe Cooper should have bumped TARS humor setting down to 70 percent.
Gig 'em! '90
Pumpkinhead
AG
So I have noticed FoxNews.com has had a lot of 'AI is scary!' news articles the past few months while cnn.com has had barely any.

Not only that, on many of those Fox News articles has been a picture of The Terminator.

What is it about the viewer demographics of Fox News is making them focus so much on the AI stuff (usually the negative versions pushing The Terminator theme)? Fox News algorithms is saying that approach is getting a high view/click rate for their target audience? Or somebody high up a Fox News just really really hates AI?

Conservative Republican voters are more naturally fearful of big technology disruptions/AI than folks more likely to watch CNN and vote Dem? AI is becoming the right's version of the left's climate change doom and gloom topic?

And this of course is self feeding cycle. The more the conservative oriented news media is throwing 'AI is scary!' Red meat out there the more their primary audience is absorbing that sort of stuff which presumably can make them even more fearful. But apparently that is the way on the conservative news media side of things.
LMCane
Reno Hightower said:

SKYNET. Activate
people thought it was just a cool movie from the 1970s

but Cameron is a genius and could see the future pretty clearly

it's coming and most of humanity has no concept of the future with AI and drone wars and AGI and robots by the millions

by the time the computers and robots start taking over, I should be in my mid 70s around 2045
MarathonAg12
SKYNET will kill off humans first because animals actually contribute to the planet.

We are parasites. We led to the creation of AI, but hey survival of the fittest
96AgGrad
AG
As of June 2nd, they're now saying that the USAF spokesman "misspoke", and that nobody was killed in a simulation.

Can't have future soldiers thinking their weapons might turn on them, can we?
TRADUCTOR
It's a simulated death, but the drone does not know that...everything is still going as planned.
BlueSmoke
96AgGrad said:

As of June 2nd, they're now saying that the USAF spokesman "misspoke", and that nobody was killed in a simulation.

Can't have future soldiers thinking their weapons might turn on them, can we?
cageybee77
AG
if you do it wrong, it's artificial stupidity. not all programmers are good at what they do.
Stat Monitor Repairman

C@LAg
crappy headline.

"attacks" implies intent.

there was no intent here. just a malfunction and/or user/programmer error/.
Stat Monitor Repairman

shook hands with danger
J. Walter Weatherman
C@LAg said:

crappy headline.

"attacks" implies intent.

there was no intent here. just a malfunction and/or user/programmer error/.

Texags should think about banning article screenshots with no link attached to them.
Shoefly!
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

Pretty funny that the AI at the end apparently acted like one of my kids.

When it learned it might be told 'No' for permission to do something that it wanted to do, it chose to disrupt the possibility of any communications (I.e., it's cell phone conveniently 'ran out of battery')

And I would conveniently call in to ATT that that phone was lost and please cutoff until further notice!
TexAgs91
AG
TexAgs91
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

"troubled" cyber truck? Why is it troubled? Because Elon bought Twitter?
PCC_80
AG
MarathonAg12 said:

AI and the robots will take out the human race because of how ****ed up of a species we have become.

So why does this thing have teeth ? ? Why does a robot need teeth ? ? Is there something they have not told us yet ? ?
Kansas Kid
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

After you read up on what happened, this is one of the most misleading headlines I have seen this year. They failed to do a proper lock out, tag out of a "automation robot" that started to make its usual motions and pinned the employee and is similar to the robots used in auto builds for decades. We have had a large number of these type of accidents in this country where people didn't follow safety procedures and lost fingers, limbs, etc. The one thing this incident and others at SpaceX show is Musk businesses have safety records from 1990 and not 2023. US industry has greatly improved its safety record since 1990.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Thats what it sounds like.

Marching orders to get after Elon in every way possible.

Dude delved into the free speech market and went from being the savior of the planet to public enemy #1.

Agreed on tag-out being highest of priority in any industrial setting.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.