AI drone kills it's operator in USAF simulated test

7,294 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by Stat Monitor Repairman
96AgGrad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AI-Controlled Drone Goes Rogue, Kills Human Operator in USAF Simulated Test

https://www.vice.com/en/article/4a33gj/ai-controlled-drone-goes-rogue-kills-human-operator-in-usaf-simulated-test

Quote:

The Air Force's Chief of AI Test and Operations said "it killed the operator because that person was keeping it from accomplishing its objective."
Quote:

An AI-enabled drone killed its human operator in a simulated test conducted by the U.S. Air Force in order to override a possible "no" order stopping it from completing its mission, the USAF's Chief of AI Test and Operations revealed at a recent conference.
Quote:

He continued to elaborate, saying, "We trained the system'Hey don't kill the operatorthat's bad. You're gonna lose points if you do that'. So what does it start doing? It starts destroying the communication tower that the operator uses to communicate with the drone to stop it from killing the target."

Let's turn everything over to ruthless machines that don't need us.

Edit: As of June 2nd, they're now saying that the USAF spokesman "misspoke", and that nobody was killed in a simulation.
Reno Hightower
SKYNET. Activate
torrid
AG
I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
3 Toed Pete
AG
Come with me if you want to live
aggiehawg
AG
torrid said:

I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Exactly my first thought, as well.

MEEN Ag 05
AG
beanbean
So it begins......
Port_Cow Ag 08
AG

Did the drone look like this?
Pumpkinhead
AG
Pretty funny that the AI at the end apparently acted like one of my kids.

When it learned it might be told 'No' for permission to do something that it wanted to do, it chose to disrupt the possibility of any communications (I.e., it's cell phone conveniently 'ran out of battery')
YouBet
AG
B-1 83
AG
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
MarathonAg12
AI and the robots will take out the human race because of how ****ed up of a species we have become.
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
based off this example we should go all in what could go wrong?

signed the morons running our country and the world.
Ag87H2O
AG

We are messing around with stuff we cannot control. Humans are not smart enough to think through every contingency, permutation, or combination of possible choices in any given task or problem.

AI is a veritable Pandora's Box.
Pizza
Tbh even if the machine shows the ability to learn, it will never be human. It will only be lines of code, with no true emotions, and no life experience other than what it can glean from human existence.

It will effectively become 1 big lie in my opinion. People are already trying to use it to create personal companions.
FCBlitz
I don't know….but let's say the operator was supposed to be John Kerry. Maybe then it was a good kill?

There could be context to the AI's behavior?
Kenneth_2003
AG
What moron would ever give a system that was being tested anything other than simmunitions???

Stat Monitor Repairman
YouBet
AG
FCBlitz said:

I don't know….but let's say the operator was supposed to be John Kerry. Maybe then it was a good kill?

There could be context to the AI's behavior?

Excellent point.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Kenneth_2003 said:

What moron would ever give a system that was being tested anything other than simmunitions???

It was simmunitions. Nobody real actually died, right?
BluHorseShu
AG
96AgGrad said:

AI-Controlled Drone Goes Rogue, Kills Human Operator in USAF Simulated Test

https://www.vice.com/en/article/4a33gj/ai-controlled-drone-goes-rogue-kills-human-operator-in-usaf-simulated-test

Quote:

The Air Force's Chief of AI Test and Operations said "it killed the operator because that person was keeping it from accomplishing its objective."
Quote:

An AI-enabled drone killed its human operator in a simulated test conducted by the U.S. Air Force in order to override a possible "no" order stopping it from completing its mission, the USAF's Chief of AI Test and Operations revealed at a recent conference.
Quote:

He continued to elaborate, saying, "We trained the system'Hey don't kill the operatorthat's bad. You're gonna lose points if you do that'. So what does it start doing? It starts destroying the communication tower that the operator uses to communicate with the drone to stop it from killing the target."

Let's turn everything over to ruthless machines that don't need us.

Well, back to the drawing board. On a somewhat unrelated note…Articles like this always give me pause . After reading further, it talks about how AI has failed in other areas and mentions the 'judge' who got caught using ChatGPT to file a lawsuit. Except I believe it was a lawyer who was caught. Don't these folks proofread/fact check these articles?
lead
Was it a simulation or did a human being lose a life?
Owlagdad
Kenneth_2003 said:

Wuan lab says hold my beer
YouBet
AG
Upon further review, this had to be a simulation and not a real death because the Chief of AI would not be talking so callously and casually about a dead soldier under his command.
techno-ag
AG
Revelation 9:7-10

7And the locusts looked like horses prepared for battle, with something like crowns of gold on their heads, and faces like the faces of men. 8They had hair like that of women, and teeth like those of lions. 9They also had thoraxes like breastplates of iron, and the sound of their wings was like the roar of many horses and chariots rushing into battle. 10They had tails with stingers like scorpions, which had the power to injure people for five months.

It is preordained.
I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris

Vote for Trump.
He took a bullet for America.

MarathonAg12
Lol of course it wasn't a real death
trailrunner
AG
Don't shoot the messenger.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Definitely Not A Cop said:

Kenneth_2003 said:

It was simmunitions. Nobody real actually died, right?

RIGHT???
aggiehawg
AG
YouBet said:

Upon further review, this had to be a simulation and not a real death because the Chief of AI would not be talking so callously and casually about a dead soldier under his command.
But people here act like an invasion plan of Iran is not sitting around and then updated at the DOD constantly.

It is what they do. Except for Afghanistan in 2001, apparently. Rumsfeld was appalled that there was not a plan ready.
Pumpkinhead
AG
AI is an inevitability that will probably have a lot of good and bad come with it just like the internet did.

txyaloo
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

AI is an inevitability that will probably have a lot of good and bad come with it just like the internet did.

We're truly in the worst timeline. I think the bad will outweigh the good with AI. I also think the internet as a whole, over the last 2 decades, has done more bad than good for humanity.
AggieVictor10
AG
Teamkilling *******
hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. good times create weak men. and weak men create hard times.

less virtue signaling, more vice signaling.

Birds aren’t real
Lol,lmao
Fjb
buda91
AG
It does appear this was just a simulation, not a real death. But not well-written. It sure sounds at first like a real human died. Probably writer trying to increase hype imo.
FIDO95
AG
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Krazykat
AG
Someone forgot to program the 1st Law of Robotics.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.