Disney Just Refuses To Freaking Learn From Their Mistakes...

8,323 Views | 99 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by techno-ag
Science Denier
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Until this behavior costs them revenue, they won't change.
LOL OLD
Gap
AG
TxTarpon said:

Easy to see why they are arrogant.

A couple of questions:

1) Why did you not show the trend going to the bottom and $0 as Disney no longer pays a dividend?

2) Of all the possible financial metrics, why did you choose a dividend chart (albeit without the key changes that has occurred since your graph's time period) as being most relevant to making whatever point you were attempting to make?
Science Denier
AG
M1Buckeye said:

CDUB98 said:

Despite all that Disney has done, they're not really hurting, so they have zero incentive to change.

Not true at all. They're stock went down the toilet. Things aren't well at Disney.
Their theme park revenue is soaring.
Link
LOL OLD
Irish 2.0
Gap said:

TxTarpon said:

A couple of questions:

1) Why did you not show the trend going to the bottom and $0 as Disney no longer pays a dividend?

2) Of all the possible financial metrics, why did you choose a dividend chart (albeit without the key changes that has occurred since your graph's time period) as being most relevant to making whatever point you were attempting to make?

This chart tells a better story. Revenue still nowhere near being back to pre-COVID and no dividend. DIS is in a crisis. Park revenue be damned if they're buring cash left and right in other divisions every quarter.
Canyon99
AG
A_Gang_Ag_06 said:

The idea of giving that money to the mouse kills me but, my desire to see my girls all together having that experience trumps that.

Damn dude grow a backbone. Plenty of other experiences out there without sacrificing your morals.
one safe place
A_Gang_Ag_06 said:

The problem for me regarding the park is there's really no alternative. This isn't like switching to Miller Lite as opposed to Bud Light.

My kids have never been to Disney world. I want to take them in two years as a reward for my oldest graduating college, my middle one graduating high school, and the littlest one finishing her year in school. It would just be a once in a lifetime thing due to the high cost. What other alternative do I have for an experience like that? Six Flags? Gross.

The idea of giving that money to the mouse kills me but, my desire to see my girls all together having that experience trumps that.
There are many things that you and your kids could do/see without having to expose them to Disney's nonsense or supporting that nonsense by giving Disney your money. In fact, you could probably do a couple of different things for the same amount of money it would cost to go to Disney World.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
A_Gang_Ag_06 said:

The problem for me regarding the park is there's really no alternative. This isn't like switching to Miller Lite as opposed to Bud Light.

My kids have never been to Disney world. I want to take them in two years as a reward for my oldest graduating college, my middle one graduating high school, and the littlest one finishing her year in school. It would just be a once in a lifetime thing due to the high cost. What other alternative do I have for an experience like that? Six Flags? Gross.

Good. Put family before politics. The rest of these guys are just virtue signaling.

And I have tried to avoid Disney my entire life simply because I hate amusement parks.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
AggieVictor10
AG
TxTarpon said:

They'll go broke soon enough
hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. good times create weak men. and weak men create hard times.

less virtue signaling, more vice signaling.

Birds aren’t real
Lol,lmao
Fjb
aggie93
AG
A_Gang_Ag_06 said:

For the same money you can go to Spanish Wells in the Bahamas, best kept secret for families. 2 mile Long Island off Eleuthera where you can get a house on the beach very reasonably and ride around the island on a golf cart. Super safe and friendly with no hotels and very modest tourism. Walk out hundreds of yards to a sandbar at low tide. Swimming pigs. They have a sandbar a mile out with a swing and stingrays you can pet. Great snorkeling and fishing. Blue hole. Island population is descendants of a group similar to the Pilgrims that wrecked a couple hundred years ago and still religious and they make their money on being lobster fishermen. Cook fresh fish or lobster on the grill or go to one of the cool local restaurants.

Way better family experience than the Uber commercial Disney crap.
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Park revenue be damned if they're buring cash left and right in other divisions every quarter.
And the Hulu deal alone will burn a lot of cash just in debt service, unless they try to use Treasury stock which would roughly translate to 14% of their stock. That wouldn't make Blackrock, Vanguard and other institutional investors very happy either.

ETA: Working capital is a problem too.

CDUB98
AG
aggie93 said:

A_Gang_Ag_06 said:

For the same money you can go to Spanish Wells in the Bahamas, best kept secret for families. 2 mile Long Island off Eleuthera where you can get a house on the beach very reasonably and ride around the island on a golf cart. Super safe and friendly with no hotels and very modest tourism. Walk out hundreds of yards to a sandbar at low tide. Swimming pigs. They have a sandbar a mile out with a swing and stingrays you can pet. Great snorkeling and fishing. Blue hole. Island population is descendants of a group similar to the Pilgrims that wrecked a couple hundred years ago and still religious and they make their money on being lobster fishermen. Cook fresh fish or lobster on the grill or go to one of the cool local restaurants.

Way better family experience than the Uber commercial Disney crap.
Irish 2.0
Can do Atlantis in the Bahamas too. At least if you're literally sweating your ass off in an ungodly humid climate you can hop in the water instead of stand next to the 300lbs fat dude that looks like he's about to double over after his 6th icee.
gonemaroon
AG
It's not just this / they all got in on the Covid money loop - from government to Big Pharma - to advertising dollars to these media companies that were all basically tax payer dollars. They will bow down to whomever is telling them to keep their ESG scores up. They don't care about building share holder value - they care about their revenue stream which right now is are the Dems and the marching orders they recieve.

Someone needs to class action law suit these firms in to dust that are no longer looking out for shareholder value.
akm91
AG
Science Denier said:

M1Buckeye said:

CDUB98 said:

Despite all that Disney has done, they're not really hurting, so they have zero incentive to change.

Not true at all. They're stock went down the toilet. Things aren't well at Disney.
Their theme park revenue is soaring.
Link

No way we'll find out but it will be interesting to know how attendance figures impacted the revenue. Was it due to just price increases or was there substantial increase in attendance.

Quote:

It's important to remember this figure included Parks, Experiences, and Products, meaning this revenue stream is not just theme park tickets.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
Satellite of Love
A_Gang_Ag_06 said:

Universal is right down the road and they are quickly passing the mouse up in experience.
Science Denier
AG
Irish 2.0 said:

Gap said:

TxTarpon said:

A couple of questions:

This chart tells a better story. Revenue still nowhere near being back to pre-COVID and no dividend. DIS is in a crisis. Park revenue be damned if they're buring cash left and right in other divisions every quarter.
The issue here is wokeness. There are some very underperforming units in Disney, and they are not the result of wokeness. In fact, the data would support that the more woke they become, the more money they make. At least, that's how it seems to me.
LOL OLD
Buford T. Justice
AG
But no one HAS to go there.
There are other parks.
Don't go there.
"Gimme a diablo sandwhich and a dr. pepper...to go"
YouBet
AG
Quote:

"This way cast members that might not identify as female can still be part of the process to dress up & style the children without having to refer to themselves as a female Disney character."
This sentence to me is just gross and disturbing.

Almost literal grooming.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
A_Gang_Ag_06 said:

Don't let these sickos and freaks deny what YOU want to do for your daughters. Although you might steer clear of a Princess-themed character meal, as I would worry that Belle would come out with a beard and adam's apple, and certainly steer clear of the boutique.
AggieVictor10
AG
BigBrother said:

Weird how only 1 politician I'm aware of wants to fight this battle. Hmm. Who could it be?

Fighting battles is for PrOVeN wArRiOrS.
hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. good times create weak men. and weak men create hard times.

less virtue signaling, more vice signaling.

Birds aren’t real
Lol,lmao
Fjb
ArbAg
AG
Predmid said:

Maroon Dawn said:

don't give the mouse a single dime whenever you can

The own a lot of stuff....

Perfect for being downsized by the awakening marketplace.
Logos Stick
Ghost of Andrew Eaton said:

A_Gang_Ag_06 said:

Good. Put family before politics. The rest of these guys are just virtue signaling.

And I have tried to avoid Disney my entire life simply because I hate amusement parks.

Lol, this is not politics. It's degeneracy. Taking your little kids to see that is putting them last.
TxTarpon

Quote:

A couple of questions:
My post was about them being arrogant.
They had been paying a dividend for 40 years up until 2020.
This made them arrogant.
Quote:

I covered that above.
TxTarpon
AggieVictor10 said:

TxTarpon said:

They'll go broke soon enough
Before 2030?
fka ftc
The Universal park(s) in Orlando are not equipped to absorb Disney level crowds.

Universal is equally expensive and that zooms up as high or higher when you add in onsite hotel stay, "fast pass" and other "time saving" features.

Epic will help greatly with capacity but the WDW parks are HUGE in comparison and can absorb larger crowds during peak times.

Not defending Disney, just tapping the breaks on Universal kicking their arse. In the last few years Disney has gone all in on the intellectual property from movies / shows being themed into the park attractions like Universal essentially did from day 1.

It's going to be an interesting decade ahead for both. For the consumer, I think you get more and better options at the parks.

Interesting tidbit… at Universal Orlando, the only ride / attraction left from opening day is the ET ride (if I recall the guide correctly). They are very proactive at retooling the parks.
"The absence of the word accountability is not the same as wanting no accountability" -unknown

"You can never go wrong by staying silent if there is nothing apt to say" -Walter Isaacson
2aggiesmom
Satellite of Love said:

A_Gang_Ag_06 said:

Universal is right down the road and they are quickly passing the mouse up in experience.
j
My kids liked Universal of much as Disney. I haven't been to Disney since my daughters's high school cheer team went for a competition, her senior year. She had a wonderful time but she is 37 this year so it was a long time ago, before all the woke nonsense. We moved from Florida to Texas for work in 1991. While there we went to Disney World often. We always stayed on property, and enjoyed it , but our favorite vacations were, Anna Marie Island/ Longboat Key beach vacations. We did Universal once before we moved and that was fun and not too crowded. There are lots of beautiful places in the US to vacation.
Get Off My Lawn
Science Denier said:

Irish 2.0 said:

Gap said:

TxTarpon said:

A couple of questions:

The issue here is wokeness. There are some very underperforming units in Disney, and they are not the result of wokeness. In fact, the data would support that the more woke they become, the more money they make. At least, that's how it seems to me.
The curve isn't immediate.
1. Visionary creates entertaining art.
2. Public finds art and support grows
3. Growth and expansion feedback loop
4. IP sold off to mega corp (I.e Disney)
5. Corp ramps up monetizable products
6. Corp reshapes the products in their image
7. Public interest begins to dry up <- you are here
8. Spend starts to outpace profit
9. Corp reduces their spend
10. IP drained and everyone frustrated.
11. Albatross dropped

Marvel and Star Wars fatigue are setting in. They still bring in big $, but they're on the downslope and will die due to Disney's disdain for the core fan base.

You can see an accelerated version of this in the "Rings of Power."
aggielostinETX
AG
A_Gang_Ag_06 said:

What? There literally 100s of other options besides Disney for a trip like that.
“A republic, if you can keep it”

AggieKatie2 said:
ETX is honestly starting to scare me a bit as someone who may be trigger happy.
aggielostinETX
AG
Ghost of Andrew Eaton said:

A_Gang_Ag_06 said:

You see grooming as politics?

Interesting.
“A republic, if you can keep it”

AggieKatie2 said:
ETX is honestly starting to scare me a bit as someone who may be trigger happy.
Science Denier
AG
Get Off My Lawn said:

Science Denier said:

Irish 2.0 said:

Gap said:

TxTarpon said:

A couple of questions:

The curve isn't immediate.
1. Visionary creates entertaining art.
2. Public finds art and support grows
3. Growth and expansion feedback loop
4. IP sold off to mega corp (I.e Disney)
5. Corp ramps up monetizable products
6. Corp reshapes the products in their image
7. Public interest begins to dry up <- you are here
8. Spend starts to outpace profit
9. Corp reduces their spend
10. IP drained and everyone frustrated.
11. Albatross dropped

Marvel and Star Wars fatigue are setting in. They still bring in big $, but they're on the downslope and will die due to Disney's disdain for the core fan base.

You can see an accelerated version of this in the "Rings of Power."
A friend of mine went to Disney, it was in the 90's. I don't recall the actual date. He didn't do his research and he ended up going on one of their "gay day", or week or whatever it was. Point is that Disney has been trying to groom our kids for a long ass time. I stopped going to Disney a long time ago, but many have not. Their parks are still extremely successful, despite going "woke" for decades. Maybe the tide is FINALLY turned, but until there is actual evidence of their demise, I'm not buying it.
LOL OLD
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Not defending Disney, just tapping the breaks on Universal kicking their arse. In the last few years Disney has gone all in on the intellectual property from movies / shows being themed into the park attractions like Universal essentially did from day 1.
And all of those IP acquisitions were highly leveraged, incurring a crap ton of debt. Debt service alone consumes a lot of working capital, the life blood of a corporation.

That is not to say Disney can't weather the storm but that shareholder derivative lawsuit includes allegations that Disney has been cooking the books on Disney+ by shifting debt off of their books. If that is even remotely true, they could lose any ability to leverage using corporate paper at less than 10%, 8% if they are lucky.

IOW, they may not be able to borrow their way out of their current cash crunch.
normaleagle05
AG
TxTarpon said:

I love this graph so much. It demonstrates so much (that's already been discussed) but also 2 other things. 1) when Disney bought Star Wars, and 2) when Disney went full bore for woke.

Fantastia turned to Scratchtasia.
aggiehawg
AG
Another disappointment for Disney, not that the media reports on it accurately.

Quote:

No one will say this was a bad performance, but a little context is necessary. Despite all the hype surrounding The Little Mermaid, and the benefit of a long weekend opening, it failed to top The Super Mario Bros. Movie's opening weekend domestic box office of $204.6 million. Comparing apples to apples, The Little Mermaid made $95.5 million, excluding its Memorial Day take. Ouch.
Quote:

So, to put it another way, The Super Mario Bros. Movie made more than double what The Little Mermaid did over the same period of time. But, the media is presenting The Little Mermaid as some box office record breaker. It's not. Disney remains dethroned as the box office king.
LINK
Get Off My Lawn
Or, put another way, the fastest moving flywheels are reflecting the cutting edge of "wokeness" because of their inertia. This makes it seem like there's a correlation between woke and profitability when it's really a correlation between relevance and the realities existing in the present moment.
Irish 2.0
aggiehawg said:

Another disappointment for Disney, not that the media reports on it accurately.

Quote:

No one will say this was a bad performance, but a little context is necessary. Despite all the hype surrounding The Little Mermaid, and the benefit of a long weekend opening, it failed to top The Super Mario Bros. Movie's opening weekend domestic box office of $204.6 million. Comparing apples to apples, The Little Mermaid made $95.5 million, excluding its Memorial Day take. Ouch.
Quote:

So, to put it another way, The Super Mario Bros. Movie made more than double what The Little Mermaid did over the same period of time. But, the media is presenting The Little Mermaid as some box office record breaker. It's not. Disney remains dethroned as the box office king.
LINK
If you'd like to add some more perspective, the estimated production budget for The Little Mermaid was ~$250MM, so that opening sucks ass for such a large budget. That $250MM isn't including marketing costs. The experts in the room think they'll need to make $500-600MM for it to scratch a surface.

https://www.piratesandprincesses.net/how-much-money-must-the-little-mermaid-make-to-break-even/
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.