OFFICIAL ****Donald Trump versus Ron DeSantis*** thread...

425,881 Views | 9100 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by astros4545
Rongagin71
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
FireAg said:

As I have been noting for several weeks now, the only candidate I was seeing that was gaining significant ground on Trump has been Haley...I think a lot of folks who reside center or slightly left of center are gravitating toward her and away Biden...think she's having the same effect on those right of center as it relates to Trump...

Some have noted that she could be the "compromise" candidate in a general election (and nationally, she is the only one who outperfroms Trump vs Biden)...

The phenomenon certianly appears to have merit on the east coast (especially mid to upper east coast also demographics tend to lean more to the left in general)...

Would that same trend occur out west in places like AZ and CA? I think it's possible, assuming she remains viable...time will tell...

ETA: She definitely cut Trump's lead to single digits in the CNN NH poll, but on the average, still trails by almost 14 points...still, versus Trump, her rise in NH has absolutly meteoric compared to the field... I think she's a real player for the nomination...if certain things go her way...

At a minimum, I don't see how she isn't at least a strong VP contender...
I think DeSantis would make a much, much better President but have to agree with you that Haley might be gaining in the polls. So many people vote for an "image" that she seems close to...like Biden did.
FireAg
AG
texagbeliever said:

FireAg said:

As I have been noting for several weeks now, the only candidate I was seeing that was gaining significant ground on Trump has been Haley...I think a lot of folks who reside center or slightly left of center are gravitating toward her and away Biden...think she's having the same effect on those right of center as it relates to Trump...

Some have noted that she could be the "compromise" candidate in a general election (and nationally, she is the only one who outperfroms Trump vs Biden)...

The phenomenon certianly appears to have merit on the east coast (especially mid to upper east coast also demographics tend to lean more to the left in general)...

Would that same trend occur out west in places like AZ and CA? I think it's possible, assuming she remains viable...time will tell...
This brings up an interesting point about Haley. She is managing to engage "sophisticated" moderates. DeSantis engages the true blood Christian conservatives. Leaving Trump with the less sophisticated moderates.

Or translated: Trump is keeping his moderate base from Dems, Haley is recruiting a moderate base that was Dems, and DeSantis is firing up the conservative base. All of those are good things to be happening in the primary stage. The primary isn't just about electing a winner, it is about setting up the potential candidate to be a winner.
I can't disagree with any of your asserstions...I would only add that, assuming Trump is the nominee in the end, it's starting to look like Haley would bring significant value to the ticket, and DeSantis might not have a chair when the music stops outside of the chair he has in FL already...

Haley (Iowa gaffe not withstanding) is looking like a formidable opponent...
texagbeliever
Phatbob said:

texagbeliever said:

Phatbob said:

aggiehawg said:

Quote:

There are reasons why it came up, though, that had nothing to do with the Christmas picture and was why it was a curious absence. Otherwise no one would have questioned it.
Not an excuse for that behavior. Just admit they were wrong and mean-spirited and owe Melania and Trump an apology.
Not sure if serious... would Trump have any time left to fight his lawsuits and fire of "truths" if he did that? I just don't think that is part of politics anymore. He's the king of that kind of politics, so I don't think it's reasonable to expect that.
I hate Trump for this behavior. But since he uses it, I too am justified in using it.

To defeat the thing one hates one should become the thing they hate. #BadLogic.
This is rich... Isn't this the entire basis of supporting Trump?
No, they don't hate that behavior they see it as fighting. You hate it. So you adopting it would be you choosing to take on a behavior you see as negative while them adopting it is them taking on a behavior they see as good. You can say they are wrong but their actions aren't hypocritical like yours.
Old May Banker
AG
100%
FireAg
AG
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

That still rates as an, "Ugh," from me.
Oh, I hear you...will not argue that point...

It has fallen on a multitude of deaf ears on this forum, but I have been trying to look at this whole thing with as little emotion and bias as possible...

I think the candidate that best aligns with what I want for this country is DeSantis...I just don't think he is going to make it in 2024...
texagbeliever
FireAg said:

texagbeliever said:

FireAg said:

This brings up an interesting point about Haley. She is managing to engage "sophisticated" moderates. DeSantis engages the true blood Christian conservatives. Leaving Trump with the less sophisticated moderates.

Or translated: Trump is keeping his moderate base from Dems, Haley is recruiting a moderate base that was Dems, and DeSantis is firing up the conservative base. All of those are good things to be happening in the primary stage. The primary isn't just about electing a winner, it is about setting up the potential candidate to be a winner.
I can't disagree with any of your asserstions...I would only add that, assuming Trump is the nominee in the end, it's starting to look like Haley would bring significant value to the ticket, and DeSantis might not have a chair when the music stops outside of the chair he has in FL already...

I agree with this. Having Haley as VP with Meliana Trump rising in public appearance would be a big push to reach out for the female vote. It would be counting on Trump to capture and hold the male vote, which seems reasonable.

Haley >> Harris
Meliana >>>> "Dr." Jill Biden
aggie93
AG
aggiehawg said:

Yet the posters on this thread who used Melania's absence from a Christmas picture as evidence that she and Trump were separated and scoffed that her mother was seriously ill as the real reason for her abence won't acknowledge their <ahem> "error."
It's tragic that Melania's mother died. It is also true that Donald has rarely been in the same city or been photographed with his wife for over a year. As I said losing a parent sucks and I feel for Melania and their family. It is very hard to determine fact from fiction with Donald Trump, I have no issues with Melania and hope she finds peace and her mother passed in as much comfort as possible.

"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
Phatbob
AG
texagbeliever said:

Phatbob said:

texagbeliever said:

Phatbob said:

aggiehawg said:

Quote:

There are reasons why it came up, though, that had nothing to do with the Christmas picture and was why it was a curious absence. Otherwise no one would have questioned it.
Not an excuse for that behavior. Just admit they were wrong and mean-spirited and owe Melania and Trump an apology.
Not sure if serious... would Trump have any time left to fight his lawsuits and fire of "truths" if he did that? I just don't think that is part of politics anymore. He's the king of that kind of politics, so I don't think it's reasonable to expect that.
I hate Trump for this behavior. But since he uses it, I too am justified in using it.

No, they don't hate that behavior they see it as fighting. You hate it. So you adopting it would be you choosing to take on a behavior you see as negative while them adopting it is them taking on a behavior they see as good. You can say they are wrong but their actions aren't hypocritical like yours.
Ahh, I see. So me commenting on your goal tending means I owe Melania and Trump an apology, but Trump straight up lying about people and never acknowledging being wrong is "fighting"
aggiehawg
AG
FireAg said:

aggiehawg said:

Quote:

It has fallen on a multitude of deaf ears on this forum, but I have been trying to look at this whole thing with as little emotion and bias as possible...

I think the candidate that best aligns with what I want for this country is DeSantis...I just don't think he is going to make it in 2024...
Assuming both of our gut instincts are born out, still would prefer Trump and DeSantis bury the hatchet and DeSantis joins the ticket. The question I would have is if that would be political kryptonite for DeSantis?
texagbeliever
Rongagin71 said:

FireAg said:

ETA: She definitely cut Trump's lead to single digits in the CNN NH poll, but on the average, still trails by almost 14 points...still, versus Trump, her rise in NH has absolutly meteoric compared to the field... I think she's a real player for the nomination...if certain things go her way...

I think DeSantis would make a much, much better President but have to agree with you that Haley might be gaining in the polls. So many people vote for an "image" that she seems close to...like Biden did.
I see Haley and Biden as being 2 very different candidates.
Haley is coming out with firmer stances on things.
Biden had no stance on anything but was going to "fight" Trump.

Haley told people who she was and how she plans to lead. Biden didn't. Biden is more similar to Trump as a political candidate.
Dan Scott
AG
100% tonight an audience member asks Trump a tough question and later he goes on and says it was a plant and rigged townhall.
Rapier108
Dan Scott said:

100% tonight an audience member asks Trump a tough question and later he goes on and says it was a plant and rigged townhall.
Almost no chance unless someone manages to slip past the screening.

Trump would never allow anyone but MAGA to fill the audience.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
texagbeliever
Phatbob said:

texagbeliever said:

Phatbob said:

texagbeliever said:

Phatbob said:

aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Ahh, I see. So me commenting on your goal tending means I owe Melania and Trump an apology, but Trump straight up lying about people and never acknowledging being wrong is "fighting"
No you don't see. I wasn't goal tending I was right. You were wrong. You were stubborn in that even with information proving you wrong. That should be a flashing red light that you aren't thinking clearly but hey that is your decision.
FireAg
AG
Rongagin71 said:

FireAg said:

Haley is a globalist...that's my #1 dislike about her...

But she appears to be the best option for drawing in moderates and independents who tend to gravitate more toward center and center/left...

She'll have one of the prime speaking spots at the convention if she keeps performing like this, and I think it's at least 50/50 as the VP nominee...but I will also add this...I don't see anything in the polling right now that says she can simply be eliminated from any chance of getting the nomination for President...

I think it's still a longshot right now, but again, she's the only one who 1) has gained siginificant ground on Trump anywhere (albeit not everywhere), and 2) she polls better than Trump against Biden (and significantly better than DeSantis vs Biden)...

Gun to my head, if you told me for some reason Trump was going to be unable to run for President (for whatever reason), I think she would have a better shot of taking the spot than DeSantis...

And in a brokered convention (if not outright on her own), I can absolutely see her negotiating her way onto the ticket to get someone like Trump to the magic number...
texagbeliever
aggiehawg said:

FireAg said:

aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Assuming both of our gut instincts are born out, still would prefer Trump and DeSantis bury the hatchet and DeSantis joins the ticket. The question I would have is if that would be political kryptonite for DeSantis?
How well does DeSantis do with women? I think that is the goal of Trump in 2024, how can he effectively make inroads with that voting group without sacrificing the male vote.
BigRobSA
aggiehawg said:

FireAg said:

aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Why would a conservative sign upto be second to a liberal?
DD88
AG
aggie93 said:

The DeSantis documentary on Covid is going to be amazing. Hopefully we aren't stuck with Trump by that time. I just don't know how anyone that lived through that mess can watch this and not want this guy in the WH.

In a weird way it reminds me of watching "West Wing" when they would always make Jake Bartlett into the smartest man in the room who had done his own research and knew how to put smart people around him. Of course that was a BS TV show wet dream Democrats had. This is basically the conservative version, only he is constantly putting liberty and limited government first. Great stuff.

If we only had a President that would lead like this.

Trump empowered Fauci.

DeSantis analyzed the data himself distinguishing between risks for different age groups and kept Florida operational.
FireAg
AG
aggiehawg said:

FireAg said:

aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Respectfully, I am wondering if the kryptonite for Trump would be adding DeSantis to the ticket...

Based on what I am seeing, I think Haley has more appeal in left-leaning swing states, especially north of the MD-line, than DeSantis does...
Phatbob
AG
texagbeliever said:

Phatbob said:

texagbeliever said:

Phatbob said:

texagbeliever said:

Phatbob said:

aggiehawg said:

Quote:

No you don't see. I wasn't goal tending I was right. You were wrong. You were stubborn in that even with information proving you wrong. That should be a flashing red light that you aren't thinking clearly but hey that is your decision.
Again, if you actually read my posts, I never said one way or the other, I just said it wasn't unreasonable to gather that from the picture.given the evidence and past behavior. Maybe you should see some flashing lights that anyone pointing to evidence and not immediately goal tending you feel must be attacked.
BigRobSA
DD88 said:

aggie93 said:

The DeSantis documentary on Covid is going to be amazing. Hopefully we aren't stuck with Trump by that time. I just don't know how anyone that lived through that mess can watch this and not want this guy in the WH.

In a weird way it reminds me of watching "West Wing" when they would always make Jake Bartlett into the smartest man in the room who had done his own research and knew how to put smart people around him. Of course that was a BS TV show wet dream Democrats had. This is basically the conservative version, only he is constantly putting liberty and limited government first. Great stuff.

If we only had a President that would lead like this.

Trump empowered Fauci.

DeSantis analyzed the data himself distinguishing between risks for different age groups and kept Florida operational.

He thinks magnets are water proof and doesn't talk about putting on his pants.
aggie93
AG
FireAg said:

texagbeliever said:

FireAg said:

I don't think DeSantis wants anything to do with a "chair" as VP under Trump. I think he is more than happy to go back to Florida and keep kicking ass and if the rest of the country wants to do whatever they made a choice to do so. DeSantis is only 45 and has plenty of political future ahead if he wants it no matter how this election turns out, there is no one with a conservative record that is even in his zip code in terms of accomplishments and there are a lot of people that recognize that.

I will laugh if Haley is the VP though and that still seems like the play. I am betting that a lot of Trump folks still won't believe he sold them out once again because it has always been about him.
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
aggiehawg
AG
BigRobSA said:

aggiehawg said:

FireAg said:

aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Gee I don't know Rob. Maybe they do not apply the same strict labels to themselves that you do? Big tent?

JFK hated LBJ (for good reason). Reagan wasn't overly enamored of HW Bush either. McCain really wanted Lieberman as his VP. Obama did not and does not like Biden at all.

It is a political calculation choosing a VP, not a litmus test.
texagbeliever
Phatbob said:

texagbeliever said:

Phatbob said:

texagbeliever said:

Phatbob said:

texagbeliever said:

Phatbob said:

aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Again, if you actually read my posts, I never said one way or the other, I just said it wasn't unreasonable to gather that from the picture.given the evidence and past behavior. Maybe you should see some flashing lights that anyone pointing to evidence and not immediately goal tending you feel must be attacked.
Here is your top quote
Quote:

So they just took a family photo... without all the family? I'm not saying it's legit or not, but that seems like a pretty weak take. If my wife isn't going to be in the "family photo"... there is no family photo, and I don't think that is far off from most people.

However, if my wife is purposefully not going to be in a "family photo" to prove a point, she will absolutely be "tending to something else". So, no, not buying the line is not TDS, it's just not buying an easy to see through excuse. Or at least that is what it looks like.
You were sure to make your stance weak but at the same time you were very clear that it wasn't right. Notice you bolded the word "no". Either your posting style is terrible: contradictory between soft stances and hard in the same post on the same topic, or you were covering your tracks. Akin to, I'm not saying he is a murderer but I would bet he stabbed the guy 3 times and has blood on his hands. Again not saying he is a murderer but wink wink.
J. Walter Weatherman
aggie93 said:

aggiehawg said:

Yet the posters on this thread who used Melania's absence from a Christmas picture as evidence that she and Trump were separated and scoffed that her mother was seriously ill as the real reason for her abence won't acknowledge their <ahem> "error."
It's tragic that Melania's mother died. It is also true that Donald has rarely been in the same city or been photographed with his wife for over a year. As I said losing a parent sucks and I feel for Melania and their family. It is very hard to determine fact from fiction with Donald Trump, I have no issues with Melania and hope she finds peace and her mother passed in as much comfort as possible.

Agreed. Trump also generally being a complete scumbag when it comes to women and his history of infidelity is going to invite those questions too, especially given his current choice of attorney.
BigRobSA
aggiehawg said:

BigRobSA said:

aggiehawg said:

FireAg said:

aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Gee I don't know Rob. Maybe they do not apply the same strict labels to themselves that you do? Big tent?

JFK hated LBJ (for good reason). Reagan wasn't overly enamored of HW Bush either. McCain really wanted Lieberman as his VP. Obama did not and does not like Biden at all.

There's "not overly enamored with" and then there's "you (via proxy) said my wife faked cancer".

I'd imagine, and hope with all my heart, that DeSantis would tell Trumplestiltskin to GFH.
LMCane
FireAg
AG
I agree that DeSantis would probably be wise to steer clear of a Trump ticket invite, just as much as I think it would be wise for Trump to steer clear of issuing said invite...

Lick your wounds, learn from the experience, and continue to kick ass in FL in order to come back stronger in the next cycle (or even as a running mate with Haley as that would be just about as broad of a net as anyone could cast from the R side with regard to trying to get folks to flock to the ticket with their votes)...

If Trump wins the nomination, and loses the general, then I think RD goes and tries to pull a Ronald Reagan 1976/1980 part deux in 2028...and I have a hunch he would be successful in that scenario...
J. Walter Weatherman
aggiehawg said:

BigRobSA said:

aggiehawg said:

FireAg said:

aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Even if he ignored the constant unnecessary childish personal attacks from Trump over the last year+, politically it would not be a smart move from DeSantis anyways. Trump will lose, most likely pretty badly, and will continue to be an anchor on the party until he's finally gone. DeSantis is much better suited waiting it out and being ready to step up in '28.
Old May Banker
AG
Proven warrior for big Pharma
FireAg
AG
I can't believe some of you are still arguing about a Christmas photo and comment about faking cancer at this point...

That kind of **** resonates with an individual, maybe...but with the 24 hour newscycle society we live in...that **** doesn't move the needle with the overall electorate one way or the other...

It's ancient history and the electorate doesn't care about that crap...

Some of y'all can keep beating that dead horse...be my guest...but it is meaningless drivel in the election cycle...
Phatbob
AG
texagbeliever said:

Phatbob said:

texagbeliever said:

Phatbob said:

texagbeliever said:

Phatbob said:

texagbeliever said:

Phatbob said:

aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Here is your top quote
Quote:

So they just took a family photo... without all the family? I'm not saying it's legit or not, but that seems like a pretty weak take. If my wife isn't going to be in the "family photo"... there is no family photo, and I don't think that is far off from most people.

However, if my wife is purposefully not going to be in a "family photo" to prove a point, she will absolutely be "tending to something else". So, no, not buying the line is not TDS, it's just not buying an easy to see through excuse. Or at least that is what it looks like.
You were sure to make your stance weak but at the same time you were very clear that it wasn't right. Notice you bolded the word "no". Either your posting style is terrible: contradictory between soft stances and hard in the same post on the same topic, or you were covering your tracks. Akin to, I'm not saying he is a murderer but I would bet he stabbed the guy 3 times and has blood on his hands. Again not saying he is a murderer but wink wink.
Right, so you and I see those things as different, I guess. You are coming at it from a goal tending point of view, and I am coming at it from a skeptical point of view. Given any other person in politics, you would not buy the official response at face value (which could easily have been diffused by a different statement... like, oh I don't know... "she was visiting her ailing mother").
FireAg
AG
Given any other person, the electorate for the R primary simply doesn't give a **** either way, bud...you need to accept that while you care, AJRV doesn't even acknowledge it...

I respect your personal convictions, but the electorate simply could not care less...
aggie93
AG
texagbeliever said:

aggiehawg said:

FireAg said:

aggiehawg said:

Quote:

How well does DeSantis do with women? I think that is the goal of Trump in 2024, how can he effectively make inroads with that voting group without sacrificing the male vote.
DeSantis has done very well with women, especially Suburban women. His only detractors are around abortion. Otherwise they like how he is a younger and good looking guy with a pretty wife and cute family that he clearly adores. He's the type of husband a lot of women would love to have.

He also explains his position on abortion well, it's just if he is given the chance to speak about it. If he is the nominee he will get that chance but otherwise his opponents and the media are trying to fix that narrative without him. For instance last night during the Town Hall the moderator brought up about arresting women involved in abortions and he shot that down clearly and effectively. He spoke with empathy about women who are pregnant and the difficult choices they have to make. Then he talked about how the country was founded on protecting "Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness" and the first of those is Life. He said if you have a detectable heartbeat that is a life and it deserves protection. That won't win over everyone of course but it's a very solid answer that would make many of those women comfortable. There are also a lot of women who hate the culture of abortion who love him.

DeSantis is a very hard guy to make into a villain. You can make fun of him of course or find a position you don't like or something he said or did. Still you have to work really hard to make him look evil, you can't really even quote him you have to use a picture of him and paraphrase or just make something up but of course you can do that to anyone.

Ronald Reagan
texagbeliever
Phatbob said:

texagbeliever said:

Phatbob said:

texagbeliever said:

Phatbob said:

texagbeliever said:

Phatbob said:

texagbeliever said:

Phatbob said:

aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Here is your top quote
Quote:

Right, so you and I see those things as different, I guess. You are coming at it from a goal tending point of view, and I am coming at it from a skeptical point of view. Given any other person in politics, you would not buy the official response at face value (which could easily have been diffused by a different statement... like, oh I don't know... "she was visiting her ailing mother").
1. It isn't goaltending. It is a proven fact. You are calling it goaltending because of your TDS.
2. I wouldn't make a big deal about a Christmas family photo. What a stupid thing to Reee about, on Christmas.
Phatbob
AG
FireAg said:

I can't believe some of you are still arguing about a Christmas photo and comment about faking cancer at this point...

That kind of **** resonates with an individual, maybe...but with the 24 hour newscycle society we live in...that **** doesn't move the needle with the overall electorate one way or the other...

It's ancient history and the electorate doesn't care about that crap...

Some of y'all can keep beating that dead horse...be my guest...but it is meaningless drivel in the election cycle...
Is it dumb to talk about the Christmas photo, yes, yes it is...

But, there is a way of doing business where the faking cancer bit is standard operating procedure that is problematic. That is more than just a 24-hour newscycle issue. It is just a variable that you can throw in whatever the bs line of the week is that is over the line. So it's not meaningless when it comes to whether or not DeSantis should tie himself to an anchor.
First Page Last Page
Page 243 of 261

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.