OFFICIAL ****Donald Trump versus Ron DeSantis*** thread...

426,210 Views | 9100 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by astros4545
aggie93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
FireAg said:

Bud...NO ONE CARES what Trump said about negotiating us out of the Civil War...

THAT is my point...

That line of dialog means Jack *****t to Average Joe Republican Voter...

AJRV sees one thing right now...their life was better from 2016-2020 (even with the Covid crap) than it is today...

They want to go back to what they had then, because in their mind, that's a "good win" (whether you or I agree with that line of thinking or not)...

Who could "negotiate the Civil War'? Tell me...how does that address the fact that milk and gasoline are competing daily for which is more expensive per gallon (right now, milk is WINNING the "stupidly priced" award thanks, in part, to gas trying to compete for the "stupildy priced" award)?

People care about what's in (and not in) their wallets...that has zero to do with some stupid Civil War negotiation argument...
I don't disagree there are much more important issues than Trump saying dumb things about the Civil War. Its not like DeSantis is going to make a campaign platform that Trump said this, he might make a comment or two in a "there he goes again" type of way.

It's just odd you immediately jump on stuff like this and make it about DeSantis and you keep doubling and tripling down on it. You are now shifting from DeSantis' polls are bad and he has run a bad campaign to something about how Trump saying dumb things doesn't matter because of the price of milk.

Look, no one is going to remember this comment next week about the Civil War because Trump says dumb things all the time. That says a lot about our electorate though I guess, we have just gotten used to incompetence. I can't change that but I am at least going to have some fun pointing out the idiocy along the way while still doing all I can to change our course (which isn't much).

It's just very tiresome how every response you have seems to be around trying to depress DeSantis supporters and avoid talking about issues.
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
J. Walter Weatherman
aggie93 said:

FireAg said:

THAT is my point...

AJRV sees one thing right now...their life was better from 2016-2020 (even with the Covid crap) than it is today...

They want to go back to what they had then, because in their mind, that's a "good win" (whether you or I agree with that line of thinking or not)...

Who could "negotiate the Civil War'? Tell me...how does that address the fact that milk and gasoline are competing daily for which is more expensive per gallon (right now, milk is WINNING the "stupidly priced" award thanks, in part, to gas trying to compete for the "stupildy priced" award)?

People care about what's in (and not in) their wallets...that has zero to do with some stupid Civil War negotiation argument...
I don't disagree there are much more important issues than Trump saying dumb things about the Civil War. Its not like DeSantis is going to make a campaign platform that Trump said this, he might make a comment or two in a "there he goes again" type of way.

It's just odd you immediately jump on stuff like this and make it about DeSantis and you keep doubling and tripling down on it. You are now shifting from DeSantis' polls are bad and he has run a bad campaign to something about how Trump saying dumb things doesn't matter because of the price of milk.

Look, no one is going to remember this comment next week about the Civil War because Trump says dumb things all the time. That says a lot about our electorate though I guess, we have just gotten used to incompetence. I can't change that but I am at least going to have some fun pointing out the idiocy along the way while still doing all I can to change our course (which isn't much).

It's just very tiresome how every response you have seems to be around trying to depress DeSantis supporters and avoid talking about issues.

Agreed. The guy has a really weird obsession with constantly dinging DeSantis for "not breaking through" whatever that means (and as if anyone can break through with Trump acting like a clown and sucking the oxygen out of the race), and never saying a negative thing about Trump.

Just look at the Haley mention from a few posts up - has nothing to do with DeSantis but FireAg immediately turns it into a shot at him. Bizarre stuff.
aggie93
AG
FireAg said:

Oh for sure…but my point is that I don't think she invested a lot of capital in Iowa to begin with…that she closed that gap big time caught her off guard…
She has spent a LOT of money in Iowa ever since she got the Koch and Blackrock cash. I think the Sununu "expect a strong 2nd in Iowa" comment may end up looking bad in the end. Her organization is all based around the Koch org and a lot of their folks quit when they endorsed Haley. Apparently she is going heavy Beto style with text messages too, I know I've gotten a few and have heard that's a big part of her campaign along with TV ads. Lots of political consultants getting rich off Haley for sure.
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
aggiehawg
AG
aggie93 said:

FireAg said:

Oh for sure…but my point is that I don't think she invested a lot of capital in Iowa to begin with…that she closed that gap big time caught her off guard…
She has spent a LOT of money in Iowa ever since she got the Koch and Blackrock cash. I think the Sununu "expect a strong 2nd in Iowa" comment may end up looking bad in the end. Her organization is all based around the Koch org and a lot of their folks quit when they endorsed Haley. Apparently she is going heavy Beto style with text messages too, I know I've gotten a few and have heard that's a big part of her campaign along with TV ads. Lots of political consultants getting rich off Haley for sure.
That has been my undretanding as well. Haley has spent a lot of money in Iowa. But I haven't seen her family make appearances as campaign surrogates. Did I miss some of those?
aggie93
AG
aggiehawg said:

aggie93 said:

FireAg said:

That has been my undretanding as well. Haley has spent a lot of money in Iowa. But I haven't seen her family make appearances as campaign surrogates. Did I miss some of those?
I don't know anything about family appearances. The coordination with Haley has been that she has spent tens of millions on attack ads against DeSantis that started the day after Trump pulled his ads in Iowa and neither Haley or Trump has spent a dime attacking each other. Neither has denied the VP rumors either even though they are asked constantly, they just deflect.

In the end who knows what is going on behind the scenes.

Ronald Reagan
FireAg
AG
What's depressing about DeSantis is his complete inability to gain any ground on Trump…

That has ZERO to do with what I post on TexAgs…I'm merely posting exactly what I see and my opinions as to why…

All of the "rah rah" DeSantis tweets you guys post are having as much effect on his abilities to win as my posts are that outline the facts that 1) he isn't and 2) my opinions as to why…

But several of you are think that by stating the obvious and not pouring the kool aid means you're "pro Trump"…or as you stated "trying to 'depress' the DeSantis vote"…

I would happily vote for DeSantis…I doubt I'll get a chance to…

But even if I were some super-covert, Trump supporter trying to influence the election, I don't think TexAgs would be the place to do it…what I or you say on TexAgs has no effect on the vote…
aggie93
AG
DeSantis beat this guy so bad he has finally just given up, this is how you do it.

Ronald Reagan
aggie93
AG
FireAg said:

What's depressing about DeSantis is his complete inability to gain any ground on Trump…

That has ZERO to do with what I post on TexAgs…I'm merely posting exactly what I see and my opinions as to why…

All of the "rah rah" DeSantis tweets you guys post are having as much effect on his abilities to win as my posts are that outline the facts that 1) he isn't and 2) my opinions as to why…

But several of you are think that by stating the obvious and not pouring the kool aid means you're "pro Trump"…or as you stated "trying to 'depress' the DeSantis vote"…

But even if I were some super-covert, Trump supporter trying to influence the election, I don't think TexAgs would be the place to do it…what I or you say on TexAgs has no effect on the vote…
I have said repeatedly that what we do here has no real impact on anything. This is just a place for Aggies to talk politics but most of us live in Texas anyway so our votes are pretty irrelevant. That said the post that got you started here on this topic was about Trump saying something dumb and your first reaction was to somehow tie that to your opinion of DeSantis' campaign. After you do that a few times it becomes tiresome and people are going to question your motives.

That's not being a DeSantis fanboy or denying reality or whatever, it's simply trying to stay on topic. It would seem by the way you post that unless DeSantis is within Trump by X points then nothing else matters and we shouldn't talk about him except how he isn't polling well. That gets really old, you have just made the same point over and over again and it distracts from more interesting discussion.

Ronald Reagan
MemphisAg1
AG
FireAg said:

I think Ronald Reagan -- if running for the R nomination as governor of CA -- would have a hard time getting traction in this year's R primary.

Trump's personality, legal issues, valid grievances against the Dem mafia, and media presence loom so large that they overshadow everyone and everything else. Combined with a devoted core following -- although not enough to win the general election -- and he is the clear favorite to capture the nomination.

I think he is the only one who can lose to Biden. Could be wrong of course, but it's incredibly hard to picture Trump getting more support in the general election in 2024 than 2020. He has A LOT of baggage that will mobilize people to vote AGAINST him.
Dan Scott
AG

LMCane
aggie93 said:

FireAg said:

THAT is my point...

bet your @ss that if Trump is the nominee the leftists will be using these clips showing Trump basically admit he would 'compromise" on slavery/southern demands

yeah, that will work great in Michigan, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin...

not like he needs to win any of those states though!
LMCane
aggiehawg said:

aggie93 said:

FireAg said:

I never signed up for any Haley texts but get them every single day now
J. Walter Weatherman
Dan Scott said:

Lol - love them nailing Tucker's hypocrisy as a bonus.
aggiehawg
AG
How is DeSantis going to accomplish that with federal judes slapping nationwide injunctions against every effort?
aggie93
AG
aggiehawg said:

How is DeSantis going to accomplish that with federal judes slapping nationwide injunctions against every effort?
It's a fair question but DeSantis is an outstanding lawyer who is surrounded by very smart people and other outstanding lawyers. If anyone can figure out how to fight back it's him.

Ronald Reagan
J. Walter Weatherman
aggie93 said:

aggiehawg said:

It's a fair question but DeSantis is an outstanding lawyer who is surrounded by very smart people and other outstanding lawyers. If anyone can figure out how to fight back it's him.

Agreed. DeSantis may not be able to get it done but he certainly has a better chance than the guy who already failed once and who has zero organization or strategy behind anything he says or does.
aggiehawg
AG
aggie93 said:

aggiehawg said:

Fair enough. Guess my skepticism that the federal judiciary will interfere on an agenda driven basis is quite high. Even SCOTUS has been waffling and muddying the waters more rather than less.
Old May Banker
AG
Why Trump's bootlickers give him a pass on Hillary, immigration, covid, 2A, etc is as beyond my comprehension as pretending a Yankee billionaire shares some connection to the disenfranchised redneck vote.

And - as has been said a hundred times - it speaks more to the quality of the electorate than it does the quality of the candidate.
FireAg
AG
Old May Banker said:

it speaks more to the quality of the electorate than it does the quality of the candidate.
Precisely what I have been saying...DeSantis's message, sadly, has been too complicated for the electorate at large...

For better or worse, people seem to rally around catchy slogans now rather than real policies and changes...

THAT has been my point from the get-go...

But THAT is who he has to appeal to in order to get elected...and he didn't...
PA24
AG
I am done arguing the case for or against Trump. No one is even close of over taking him, it is a waste of time.

FireAg
AG
I still want to see the final Des Moines Register poll (is there any real gap closure at all for RD?) which should be out fairly soon (Wed/Thur timeframe)...but you are probably correct...
FL_Ag1998
AG
PA24 said:

I am done arguing the case for or against Trump. No one is even close of over taking him, it is a waste of time.

So you're done trolling this board?
J. Walter Weatherman
PA24 said:

Well there's zero case for Trump, other than he's currently the leader according to polls, so I don't blame you for giving up.
Dan Scott
AG

Lol
PA24
AG
J. Walter Weatherman said:

aggie93 said:

aggiehawg said:

Agreed. DeSantis may not be able to get it done but he certainly has a better chance than the guy who already failed once and who has zero organization or strategy behind anything he says or does.
he will click his little heels together 3x and wish it to happen.
J. Walter Weatherman
PA24 said:

J. Walter Weatherman said:

aggie93 said:

aggiehawg said:

he will click his little heels together 3x and wish it to happen.

I thought you were done trolling the thread?
PA24
AG
...i am kidding about ol Ron....

but

Pro Trump > Troll

Pro DeSantis > Anti troll
J. Walter Weatherman
PA24 said:

but

Pro Trump > Troll

Nope, trolling = troll, which is the majority of your activity on this thread. Again, I don't blame you- there is no case for Trump and it probably gets exhausting having to defend this idiot, so I'm sure it's much easier to troll instead.

Better get ready though, now that they're letting him out of the basement there's going to be a lot more of these.
AggieVictor10
AG
PA24 said:

but

Pro Trump > Troll

Pro anyone but Ron= troll, at this point.
FL_Ag1998
AG
AggieVictor10 said:

PA24 said:

but

Pro Trump > Troll

Pro anyone but Ron= troll, at this point.

No, its pretty simple and obvious.

Pro "I have no counter to Trump's senile ramblings, hypocrisy, attacking from the left, inability to defend his many unfulfilled promises from 2016, and unlikeability by the general electorate so I'm just going to post juvenile comments about DeSantis' height" = troll.
Dan Scott
AG
FireAg said:

Old May Banker said:

it speaks more to the quality of the electorate than it does the quality of the candidate.
Precisely what I have been saying...DeSantis's message, sadly, has been too complicated for the electorate at large...

For better or worse, people seem to rally around catchy slogans now rather than real policies and changes...

THAT has been my point from the get-go...

But THAT is who he has to appeal to in order to get elected...and he didn't...

Trump became president when being a social media influencer became a thing. The influencers on the right and left made a lot of money off of him. After Trump, the righty influencers had to double down on Trump in opposition to Biden and January 6. Those same influencers are backing Trump to keep up their grift. The drama is what makes them money. They love getting people outraged. Social media influencers make people stupid.
UAS Ag
BigBrother said:

FireAg said:

That's because some of you on here have your damn blinders on, and if someone notes anything critical or negative of DeSanits, "well sure as *****..they must be a Trumper!!!"

It's simply not true, but a lot of you refuse to believe it...

From the 30,000' level, this is what DeSantis faced coming into this, and I said it at the beginning, and it sure seems to have played out exactly as I feared/predicted...

Trump isn't the "incumbent", but he is getting incumbent-level treatment from the averag R voter...the polling numbers show this (yes, y'all hate polls...I get it...but if you look at trends in this R cycle for non-incumbents and compare them to past R primary cycles, Trump polls "like an incumbent" for the most part)...

Trump also has a huge echo chamber that was going to be diffiecult to be heard in unless DeSantis could grab some serious headlines...

DeSantis has run a campaign based on "steak", with little attention to "sizzle"... It starte day 1 on his failed Twitter campaign launch...a significant amount of press-annaouncements and such to build up to the big announcement...where we were hoping to see some "sizzle" that caught voters' attention so that they would listen to the "steak"...the platform failed, and his big announcement was a flop...

Since then, there has been no "sizzle" to catch the eye of Average Joe Republican Voter... And though you and I may not like it, and we can pontificate ad nauseum as to how foolish it is to not give attention to the "steak" that Desantis's leadership likely brings, the fact of the matter is, in this backward society...you need to flash some "sizzle" to catch their eye, or you will be lost in the echo chamber...

I said it back then, and it has proven out through this process...doesn't mean I like it or support it, but that is the inertia DeSantis faced, and he has been unable to reverse it...
Weird how you haven't even commented on the positive poll for him above.
If you're paying attention, it's not weird at all.
UAS Ag
FireAg said:

But what I don't believe is that the polling averages are >33 points off... I believe they could actually be as much as 20 points off (which would be absolutely unprecedented in Iowa on caucus day), but even if they are that far off, it doesn't change the fact that Trump still wins...
Right now on 538 Trump is up 49% to 17%. Let's say Trump keeps all of that 49% but DeSantis gains your 20 pts to put him at 37%.

Trump then would get 20 delegates and DeSantis would get 15.

That would be a HUGE hit for Trump even though he "won". His shroud of "inevitability" would have been pierced. And that shroud is Trump's biggest strength right now.

MAGA is about 25%. That is going NOWHERE. But the other 25% Trump has is NOT solid at all...and a result like that in Iowa could have big repercussions in the following primaries.
UAS Ag
FireAg said:

THAT is my point...

We understand MAGA doesn't care. They don't care what he says, they're voting for him anyways.

But there is a significant group of PRIMARY/CAUCUS voters who DO care (these people are much more tuned in than the general public).
FireAg
AG
Nah…as the challenger, you want wins, especially when you're ruining 3rd/4the in two of the next three states…

As others have said…DeSantis needs an outright win in Iowa to pick up some much needed momentum…

He's pushed most of his chips in there, and banking on a win to propel him forward…a moral victory in Iowa won't do it…
First Page Last Page
Page 239 of 261

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.