Now what? Lawmakers getting satellite phones?

6,611 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by fka ftc
ShotOver
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AgBandsman said:

Let me guess, the 50 senators are all Dems.

Omg
CSTXAg92
AG
RoadkillBBQ said:

What threat is legitimate enough to warrant that? Has to be something that threatens normal communications like cell phones. What are they planning or not telling us?

We'll, let's see…. 2000 Mules used cellphone GPS data to prove how ballot boxes were stuffed, so I wouldn't be surprised to find out that they're planning to jam cellular networks during the election in a way to cover their data tracks.
FJB
AG
Where did I once read that a blackout of comms might be coming?
Who is John Galt?

mjschiller
AG
Another method of government spying.
Marvin J. Schiller
45-70Ag
AG
Members of Congress are not important or essential enough to justify needing this.
rocky the dog
AG
Quote:

Federal funding will pay for the satellite airtime needed to utilize the phone devices.
That would be taxpayer funding. There is no such thing as federal funding.
Elections are when people find out what politicians stand for, and politicians find out what people will fall for.
zephyr88
AG
torrid said:

These should be adequate.

There's plenty of folks here who have no idea what this is...
Burdizzo
AG
BluHorseShu said:

akm91 said:

Our country is becoming more and more like Animal Fram
Framers Fight! Framers Fight! Fight1 Fight !.....Framers Framers Fight! Whoop!

Ok, that was actually funny.
dmart90
AG
Weren't a bunch of these jokers on the "defund and demilitarize the police!" train?

I hate hypocrites.
aggiehawg
AG
Related?

Quote:

Microsoft warned on Wednesday that Chinese state-sponsored hackers had compromised "critical" U.S. cyber infrastructure across numerous industries with a focus on gathering intelligence.

The Chinese hacking group, codenamed "Volt Typhoon," has operated since mid-2021, Microsoft said in an advisory. The organization is apparently working to disrupt "critical communications infrastructure between the United States and Asia," Microsoft said, to stymie efforts during "future crises."
Quote:

The National Security Agency put out a bulletin on Wednesday, detailing how the hack works and how cybersecurity teams should respond.

The attack is apparently ongoing. In an advisory, Microsoft urged impacted customers to "close or change credentials for all compromised accounts."

U.S. intelligence agencies became aware of the incursion in February, around the same time that a Chinese spy balloon was downed, the New York Times reported.

The infiltration was focused on communications infrastructure in Guam and other parts of the U.S., the Times reported, and was particularly alarming to U.S. intelligence because Guam sits at the heart of an American military response in case of a Taiwanese invasion.

Volt Typhoon is able to infiltrate organizations using a unnamed vulnerability in a popular cybersecurity suite called FortiGuard, Microsoft said. Once the hacking group has gained access to a corporate system, it steals user credentials from the security suite and uses them to try to gain access to other corporate systems.

The state-sponsored hackers aren't looking to create disruption yet, Microsoft said. Rather, "the threat actor intends to perform espionage and maintain access without being detected for as long as possible."
LINK
BluHorseShu
AG
45-70Ag said:

Members of Congress are not important or essential enough to justify needing this.
And why in the world would they want to lug that bulky thing around. Seems more like a PITA to me. Its like people that have their wallet connected to a chain on their belt. Sure, in the highly unlikely chance someone tries to steal your wallet it could be useful. But 99% of the time you look like a goofball.
aggiehawg
AG
Today's satellite phones are not that big.

fka ftc
I am curious as to how obsolete these become once Starlink is fully operational. Heck, they may already be obsolete in the US, Ukraine, and other places Musk has enabled it.
"The absence of the word accountability is not the same as wanting no accountability" -unknown

"You can never go wrong by staying silent if there is nothing apt to say" -Walter Isaacson
Burdizzo
AG
fka ftc said:

I am curious as to how obsolete these become once Starlink is fully operational. Heck, they may already be obsolete in the US, Ukraine, and other places Musk has enabled it.

Good question. Another question is how secure is StarLink?
fka ftc
Burdizzo said:

fka ftc said:

Good question. Another question is how secure is StarLink?
It doesn't require a password on my JSX flights.

But to your point, I am interested in learning more about StarLink for more than just pron surfing in the middle of the ocean.
"The absence of the word accountability is not the same as wanting no accountability" -unknown

"You can never go wrong by staying silent if there is nothing apt to say" -Walter Isaacson
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.