Manual Transmission foils carjacking

6,227 Views | 75 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by ThatOneGuy
Texasclipper
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The car owner was at a gas station and got jacked, but the "teens" who jacked him couldn't drive a manual, so they took off. Cops caught them and they are shockingly being charged as adults and held without bond. In Maryland of all places.

https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/local/maryland/police-teens-carjack-gas-station-couldnt-drive-away-manual-transmission/65-f18e8d3e-71bd-4d5d-87d3-8516700bae4c
torrid
AG
Texasclipper said:

The car owner was at a gas station and got jacked, but the "teens" who jacked him couldn't drive a manual, so they took off. Cops caught them and they are shockingly being charged as adults and held without bond. In Maryland of all places.

https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/local/maryland/police-teens-carjack-gas-station-couldnt-drive-away-manual-transmission/65-f18e8d3e-71bd-4d5d-87d3-8516700bae4c
In a few years, they won't know how to start an internal combustion engine.
Corporal Punishment
AG
Yep. Every car I've ever owned is a manual transmission. This is one of the hidden benefits. Whenever I take it to get serviced, I peek out the window to see if the attendant can move it. Runs 50/50. Best anti-theft device I've ever not paid for.
Pookers
AG
Stick shifts
Roll the Bones
AG
Every daily driver I have owned has been a stick shift with the exception of one SUV about 10 years ago.

My 18 year old wanted a stick shift after I taught him to drive, so he has a manual in his daily driver too. Stick it!
Serious Lee
about 10 years ago my coworker brought his jeep to discount tire for a rotation. he had to drive the jeep in and out of the shop cause none of the kids that worked there could drive a stick. this was 10 years ago.
ShoulderClod08
HoseMad said:

about 10 years ago my coworker brought his jeep to discount tire for a rotation. he had to drive the jeep in and out of the shop cause none of the kids that worked there could drive a stick. this was 10 years ago.

Same happened with me and my 97" Mazda truck. This was only 3 years ago.
Bonfired
AG
We have a manual Mazda 3 that we bought brand new in 2006 and have just kept for a 3rd car between my wife and I. I still love getting that thing out on the road. Peppy and fun to drive. I had a 5 speed 280zx in the early 90's. That thing was a blast to drive. I could chirp the tires all the way to 4th gear. Wish I still had it.
Mayor West
AG
Great in theory until the jackers make you drive them instead of letting you go
American Hardwood
AG
It sucks how hard it to get a decent vehicle with a stick in it. I miss my old CJ7.
Only Fans Director
You got to know how to work that Trans!
Proud father of an Aggie undergrad!
American Hardwood
AG
Mayor West said:

Great in theory until the jackers make you drive them instead of letting you go
Pop the clutch, then slam the brakes and send them into the windshield.
rocky the dog
AG
Elections are when people find out what politicians stand for, and politicians find out what people will fall for.
- Alfred E. Neuman
Corporal Punishment
AG
American Hardwood said:

It sucks how hard it to get a decent vehicle with a stick in it. I miss my old CJ7.

Truth. Bought a new Tacoma in 2019 with a stick. There was exactly one model in inventory in the entire SE United States. I bought it. Otherwise it would've only been available factory ordered.
annie88
AG
Never learned how to drive a stick shift, tried once about 18, wasn't completely successful. But I know how it works, but since it would be comical, I guess I'm not going to start stealing manual transmission cars.

I'll have to stick to auto. That's very discriminatory, you know.
CardiffGiant
AG
annie88
AG
rocky the dog said:

If it was written in cursive, they couldn't read it at all.
The Fife
Corporal Punishment said:

Yep. Every car I've ever owned is a manual transmission. This is one of the hidden benefits. Whenever I take it to get serviced, I peek out the window to see if the attendant can move it. Runs 50/50. Best anti-theft device I've ever not paid for.
My truck has a 3 on the tree. It's been years since I've run into anyone who knew how to drive it.
Hey Doc, my psoas is sore
I can drive it.
FarmerJohn
AG
Username checks out.
TexasAggie_02
AG
had a stick shift in college. no one ever asked to borrow it.
aggiehawg
AG
My brother taught me to drive a stick when I was 14-15 in his '65 Corvette back when Earl Rudder was just the by-pass. The speedometer was broken and I didn't know how read the tach so I asked him how fast we were going. He looked over at the tach and casually replied, "About 90."

Oh s***! Scared the beejebus out of me.
91AggieLawyer
AG
The Fife said:

My truck has a 3 on the tree. It's been years since I've run into anyone who knew how to drive it.

I was helping friends from church open up their jewlery shop the spring after I started driving. I had only been driving about 3-ish months. Anyway, the guy had this old panel van -- think Suburban without the windows and seats. We were moving stuff from a house to the shop and he asked me to drive the van. OK, no problem, I could drive a standard, even the 3 speed column shift. However, my lack of experience got me in to a little trouble!

I made it fine about halfway there and was stopped at the red light on the service road of a busy intersection. I was the first one in line and when the light turned green, I let off the clutch and it...died. Weird. Did it again. Died again. I messed with that thing for what seemed like an eternity (20 seconds) IN THE MIDDLE OF THE INTERSECTION when it dawned on me that I had the darn thing in THIRD gear and not first.

That's the kind of mistake you want to make on a side street with no one around, but guess who became a pro years later starting out in 2nd, 3rd, and even 4th gear in his 5 speed 200SX!
gggmann
AG
Just bought a new stick shift. My son gets his license soon, so he'll be learning to drive it.
Sea Speed
AG
All my daughters are getting stick shift cars so their friends can't drive it and to keep them from texting.
Fireman
AG
Sea Speed said:

All my daughters are getting stick shift cars so their friends can't drive it and to keep them from texting.
This may not go the direction you intended......
TChaney
Do we really need another ****** thread?
ToddyHill
AG
Thumbs up to manual transmissions. Been driving sticks for 45 years.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
torrid said:

Texasclipper said:

There is no button to start, just this weird slot thing on the side of the steering wheel, WTF?
Texasclipper
AG
Definitely Not A Cop said:

torrid said:

Texasclipper said:

There is no button to start, just this weird slot thing on the side of the steering wheel, WTF?
That actually happened to me years ago with a Nissan Leaf EV company car i had to drive for work once. I got in the car for the first time and wondered "how do i turn this ****ing thing on"? Took me a minute to figure it out. Oh and it was fully charged with 90 miles of range.
CanyonAg77
AG
Definitely Not A Cop said:

Steering wheel? I'm old enough to remember when they were always on the dash
Trajan88
AG
Still have one of these... 2001 Bullitt Mustang GT. 3 pedals. ;-)

CanyonAg77
AG
Told this before, so skip to the next post if you've read it. Kids drove tractor on the farm and shared a '74 Nova 4 speed in high school, along with other cars.

It died on our son in a Wendy's drive through. He put the girl with him in the driver's seat, and some buddies in another car helped him push it to the side. They pushed it a little too fast, and he told the girl driving to hit the brake.. She stepped on the farthest left pedal with the expected non results. Jumped the curb and smashed a couple of pickets on the fence

Son did the right thing, went to talk to the manager, gave his info, said he'd pay for it. Idiot manager called the cops. They came out about the same time I responded to his call. Small town cops were smart enough to ask manager why the hell they were called.

Second story regards our daughter. Attended USAFA, where fish and sophs can't have cars. They can borrow cars from upperclassmen, and one way to gain good will with the seniors was to be designated drivers, which made them more likely to loan their car.

As one of the few cadets of either sex who could drive a standard, she got to drive and borrow some cool cars
kb2001
AG
The Fife said:

My friend growing up had a 3 on the tree in his truck, fun to drive and it confused everybody.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.