We are headed for "The Greatest Depression"

16,908 Views | 142 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by aggiedaniel06
Bag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

We are seriously f'ed, if you care, I would advise that you take the two hours and watch this video. This is all caused entirely by DC, Fed and the Finance Bros on Wall St.

The chickens are coming home to roost.

flame away...
fc2112
Bag said:

I would advise that you take the two hours and watch this video.
How about you take two minutes to give us a synopsis?
Bag
AG
fc2112 said:

Bag said:

Um, if you actually want to know then take the time to watch, cant be explained in two minutes, these are very complex issues
JohnLA762
AG
I keep hearing:

I keep seeing:

Premium
AG
Didn't watch, but if a Great Depression is coming what is the best hedge against it all
Premium
AG
Bag said:

fc2112 said:

Bag said:

Um, if you actually want to know then take the time to watch, cant be explained in two minutes, these are very complex issues

There is a middle ground between 2 minutes and one hour and fifty three minutes. Bullet points would be nice…
Sea Speed
AG
If we legit have one, probably ammo because the gimmiedats aren't going to sit idly by while the country crashes.
Bag
AG
Premium said:

Bag said:

fc2112 said:

Bag said:

There is a middle ground between 2 minutes and one hour and fifty three minutes. Bullet points would be nice…
Kind of the fundamental problem in society today, everybody wants cheap and easy answers, but sometimes complex issues require a little effort to understand and they cant be explained away in a series of bullet points.
HumpitPuryear
AG
JohnLA762 said:

I keep hearing:

I keep seeing:

A government that will partner with pharma and tech to push a plandemic on the world will absolutely collude with big banks to manipulate the stock market.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Bag said:

Premium said:

Bag said:

fc2112 said:

Bag said:

Kind of the fundamental problem in society today, everybody wants cheap and easy answers, but sometimes complex issues require a little effort to understand and they cant be explained away in a series of bullet points.

Well since it's too complex for you to explain, I'm not going to risk 2 hours watching a video about it. You are the one saying everyone needs to watch a video you can't understand well enough to talk about.
aggie93
AG
Bag said:

fc2112 said:

Bag said:

There are a lot of smart people on this board who are already versed in what's going on so you don't have to start with the assumption of starting from Square One. Haven't watched the video but something like this is opinion based upon data that they choose to emphasize. That's all good but the reality is that so many things occurring in the national and global economy are unprecedented, both for good and for ill, that I am wary of anyone that is assured that we are either on the edge of a Depression or that we are about to rebound. No one really knows because the old guideposts are less reliable indicators in a time of Deglobalization, demographic collapse in much of the world, the emergence of AI and other tech, and the fact that the US is set to be the "tallest midget" in just about any scenario.

So once again, if you could put up some bullets or more than "The Great Depression is coming! You must spend 2 hours watching a video because I think it's important!" is not how things roll here.
Cromagnum
AG
OP reads like "I think this is bad but need you guys to watch for me and explain to me why this is bad"
Old May Banker
AG
Premium said:

Didn't watch, but if a Great Depression is coming what is the best hedge against it all

Lead
Pizza
Chapter 1 can basically be summed up as a discussion of QE, and monetary policy in response to 2008. Banks recieved money intended by the fed govt. to be used for small business loans etc., and instead bought bonds that the fed was buying, specifically mortgage backed securities as the fed Indictated their objective was to drive their prices up. Allowing the banks to ride that trend out of the hole they created.

It isn't that hard to provide a summary, especially when the video discusses these concepts in simple terms.

The banks chose greed instead of helping small businesses.

A solid analysis would be bullet pointing each chapter, and discussing the main point or points in 1 paragraph. That's way better than a 2hr. Video.
Bag
AG
aggie93 said:

Bag said:

fc2112 said:

Bag said:

There are a lot of smart people on this board who are already versed in what's going on so you don't have to start with the assumption of starting from Square One. Haven't watched the video but something like this is opinion based upon data that they choose to emphasize. That's all good but the reality is that so many things occurring in the national and global economy are unprecedented, both for good and for ill, that I am wary of anyone that is assured that we are either on the edge of a Depression or that we are about to rebound. No one really knows because the old guideposts are less reliable indicators in a time of Deglobalization, demographic collapse in much of the world, the emergence of AI and other tech, and the fact that the US is set to be the "tallest midget" in just about any scenario.

So once again, if you could put up some bullets or more than "The Great Depression is coming! You must spend 2 hours watching a video because I think it's important!" is not how things roll here.
been on this board since its inception, I know how things roll here. This is not an opinion piece, its a video about the post 2007 world and how QE (just like anyone with a brain could see) was a disaster for the long-term and too big to fail was a process of kicking the can down the road, something a kin to suppressing a forest fire instead of understanding that fire is a normal part of a healthy ecosystem.

Bottom line is the Fed and ********s on wall st have become the growth engine of the economy wall st, meaning crony capitalism instead of main street capitalism has become our growth engine, something that would make our founding fathers cringe. Corporate debt is at levels that you cant even fathom, that is, it is not to be believed.

YouBet
AG
aggie93 said:

Bag said:

fc2112 said:

Bag said:

Really the crux of all of this. We are in unchartered waters, and no one knows what the hell is going to happen.
rgag12
AG
Every day for the past 15 years: IT'S ALL GONNA CRASH WE'RE GONNA LOSE IT ALL!

Still waiting

Maybe one day the chicken little will be right
Bag
AG
rgag12 said:

Still waiting

you are class of '12 right? You have lived your entire career in a bubble economy fueled by cheap money, calling people chicken little is essentially mocking things you don't understand.
Tanya 93
Bag said:

Premium said:

Bag said:

fc2112 said:

Bag said:

Is this OP getting monetization from this?

That would be a major reason why you can't give a cursory summary of this.

Maybe you could model Mark Rober and get views for money.
UTExan
Bag said:

Premium said:

Bag said:

fc2112 said:

Bag said:

Not really. Everybody has different data points for the decline of our country. Morality, crime, the economy. Bullet points are just a courtesy which would impel more people to watch the video.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
Funky Winkerbean
AG
rgag12 said:

Still waiting

Ask yourself what today would look like if the past 15 years didn't happen.
AgCat93
AG
TL; DNW.
AggieVictor10
AG
I'm already there.
Texasclipper
AG
As soon as someone says "the world is going to end, you need to watch this video", I'm out.

Why does it have to be in a video? And nine times out of ten, you can't fast forward.

Doom sells. Harry Dent has been predicting it monthly for years. Since he predicts it monthly, occasionally he's right much like a dead clock twice per day and he points out his rightness without mentioning all the false alarms. Don Mcalvany is another one who has been predicting imminent collapse for 30 years now.

Could it be about to happen? Sure, especially with the idiots we have running things now. But I'm not wasting 2 hours on something that could be summarized in a couple of pages at most.
fka ftc
Harry Dent any relation to Harvey Dent? Asking for a flying mammal friend.
JohnLA762
AG
So it will continue to go up, yes?
bmks270
AG
fc2112 said:

Bag said:

The sky is falling.
No Spin Ag
HumpitPuryear said:

JohnLA762 said:

I keep hearing:

I keep seeing:

A government that will partner with pharma and tech to push a plandemic on the world will absolutely collude with big banks to manipulate the stock market.

"Will collude?" Does anyone think the government hasn't been colluding with big banks in every administration for at the a few generations, if not longer, now?
samurai_science
rgag12 said:

Still waiting

I guess you have not read the last 120 years of history? Hint, history did not start in 2008
DallasAg 94
aggie93
AG
Bag said:

aggie93 said:

Bag said:

fc2112 said:

Bag said:

been on this board since its inception, I know how things roll here. This is not an opinion piece, its a video about the post 2007 world and how QE (just like anyone with a brain could see) was a disaster for the long-term and too big to fail was a process of kicking the can down the road, something a kin to suppressing a forest fire instead of understanding that fire is a normal part of a healthy ecosystem.

Bottom line is the Fed and ********s on wall st have become the grown engine of the economy wall st, meaning crony capitalism instead of mainstream capitalism is our grown engine. Corporate debt is at levels that you cant even fathom, that is, it is not to be believed.

If you want to play the who has been here longer game. Your user name says 2002, I'm from Oct 9,1999 which is literally one of the oldest profiles on this site after the Great Crash. I was on here for years before that when the initial group moved over from GoBig12.

Otherwise thanks for posting at least a pseudo summary. BTW just about any video is an opinion piece because they get to choose what things they do or don't include and what they emphasize and what they credit or discredit for the cause of issues or predicting future issues.

The current climate has some things in common with 2008 and even the Dot Com Bubble. That said it's also fundamentally different. You don't have the crazy investments of either of those bubbles, instead you have stupid Fed policy. In 2001 folks were throwing millions at business plans written on a napkin. In 2008 banks were loaning money to people who could never pay it back and overvaluing property. The only similar crash we have had is crypto but that was all speculative money for the most part.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very nervous about the current climate and there are some serious danger signs. The biggest problem is we have an idiot in the WH, a Fed that isn't much better, and a Congress that can only agree we need to send more money to Ukraine. That said what is different from '01 or '08 is the rest of the world is in worse shape than we are and the money is coming to the US to invest among other things.

We just don't know.
rynning
AG
I asked Chat GPT to summarize the video in 15 bullets. You're welcome.

• The video discusses the 2008 financial crisis caused by the housing bubble and subprime mortgage market collapse.
  • The Federal Reserve responded to the crisis by lowering interest rates and implementing quantitative easing to stabilize the financial system and encourage lending.
  • The Tea Party emerged as a political movement in opposition to excessive government spending and bailouts following the crisis.
  • Quantitative easing policies aimed at stimulating the economy by lowering interest rates have raised concerns about exacerbating economic inequality.
  • The Trump administration embraced deregulatory views and began reversing QE policies, causing instability in the market.
  • The low interest rates incentivized public companies to take on more debt, leading to elevated valuations and corporate debt.
  • The shadow banking system, which operates outside of traditional banking regulations, is considered fragile.
  • The Fed used emergency lending powers to support the market, including the risky junk bond market during the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020.
  • The Fed's interventions during the pandemic prevented a financial crisis, but there are concerns about the risky nature of the financial system.
  • The Fed's decision to lower interest rates and inject money into the economy through stimulus checks led to a surge in corporate borrowing and increased wealth for billionaires.
  • This caused a burst of euphoria in the markets, with many new small investors entering the stock market, which drove up prices of assets such as GameStop and cryptocurrency.
  • The report discusses the role of social media in driving this phenomenon and the dangers of speculative investing.
  • The potential risks of a bubble and the importance of understanding the underlying value of assets before investing are highlighted.
  • The passage discusses the concerns surrounding the Federal Open Market Committee's decision to raise its policy interest rate by three-quarters of a percentage point.
  • There are concerns about the potential consequences of raising interest rates, including a slowdown in economic growth and an increase in inflation.
HumpitPuryear
AG
No Spin Ag said:

HumpitPuryear said:

JohnLA762 said:

I keep hearing:

I keep seeing:

"Will collude?" Does anyone think the government hasn't been colluding with big banks in every administration for at the a few generations, if not longer, now?

I hear what you're saying but there's way more nefarious intent in that partnership. The wealthy have always owned newspapers that pushed certain narratives but the level of cooperation on covid is unprecedented in its scope and level of evil intent. Recent run up in equities despite every indicator being quite negative has a covid plandemic feel to it.
Dan Scott
AG
In summary, cheap money has fueled economic expansion since 2008. Ben Bernanke was chairman of the Fed and his argument was that lack of liquidity is what made the Great Depression the Great Depression. So he pumped liquidity into the market and kept doing it because inflation was low. As soon as he tried to stop, the market hand tantrum and backed off. Fast forward to 2018, Powell is now Fed Chair and he wants to stop easy money, but again market has a tantrum and he backs off. And then with Covid we pump more money.

Now we have inflation, an economy addicted to cheap money, insane amount of debt, and greater wealth disparity. To fix it will be super painful and politicians don't have the balls.
Shoefly!
AG
Premium said:

Wild hogs, we all gonna be hunting them.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.