SA: Man caught in 'Satanic panic' gets indecency conviction overturned

5,508 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Fuzzy Dunlop
Canyon99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I think the satanic panic played a role on some people being arrested for the disappearance/death of Kelly Wilson in Gilmer in the early 90s. All were eventually cleared and released but they coerced a child into telling false stories against people in clueing parents.
Actual Talking Thermos
I don't think we get to talk about satanic panic in the past tense here. It's more openly partisan and political, and it's thankfully not taken as seriously on an institutional level for the most part, but it doesn't even raise an eyebrow here or on much of the internet to see someone casually and sincerely expressing their belief in the existence of widespread organized satanist activity, including ritualistic abuse of children.
jeremiahjt
The Fife said:

Rapier108 said:

Ah yes, the Satanic Panic of the 80s and 90s. Ruined the childhood of a lot of kids because parents (usually the mother) totally bought into all of it and believed there were roaming bans of Satanists running amok.
It's why my friend's parents wouldn't let him pay Dragon Warrior (NES game). It sounded too much like Dungeons and Dragons, and of course that's what turns your kids into devil worshipers.

Being deprived of my favorite NES game of all time for a ridiculous reason like that is almost tragic.
stetson
AG
Read about Wenatchee, Washington sometime…
FJB
TxTarpon

[url=https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2023/04/10/san-antonio-man-wrongfully-convicted-in-1991-has-charges-dismissed-in-satanic-panic-case/][/url]
Quote:

San Antonio man wrongfully convicted in 1991 has charges dismissed in Satanic Panic case
Melvin Quinney was wrongfully convicted in 1991 during the Satanic Panic hysteria

A San Antonio man wrongfully convicted in 1991 during the so-called Satanic Panic hysteria is now officially a free man.

In court on Monday, Melvin Quinney had his charge dismissed by 227th District Court Judge Christina Del Prado.

The state exonerated Melvin Quinney of his conviction of indecency with a child back in February but Monday's hearing made the exoneration official.

"It's like the beginning of the end of a very long nightmare," Quinney said.
Too bad his exwife, exDA and exCops don't get some behind bars time for their misdeeds on this matter.
Slicer97
AG
Actual Talking Thermos said:

I don't think we get to talk about satanic panic in the past tense here. It's more openly partisan and political, and it's thankfully not taken as seriously on an institutional level for the most part, but it doesn't even raise an eyebrow here or on much of the internet to see someone casually and sincerely expressing their belief in the existence of widespread organized satanist activity, including ritualistic abuse of children.
We just refer to them as democrats these days. Satanists just isn't PC.
agracer
AG
Ghost of Andrew Eaton said:

Moral panics are usually a joke. I hope everyone remembers that.
Just like Covid.
TxTarpon
agracer said:

Ghost of Andrew Eaton said:

Moral panics are usually a joke. I hope everyone remembers that.
Just like the Covid response by govt.
FIFY

COVID killed people.
Govt response was too much.
The System
AG
Canyon99 said:

I think the satanic panic played a role on some people being arrested for the disappearance/death of Kelly Wilson in Gilmer in the early 90s. All were eventually cleared and released but they coerced a child into telling false stories against people in clueing parents.

Yes and no. The Kerns were pedophiles and there were proven counts of molestation of some of the children. Kelly Wilson's murder is still unsolved, but there are still strong implications they were involved. However, a rogue special investigator (known for his research into satanic cults/activities) was convinced they were involved in satanism. The kids, like in many cases, were manipulated into telling wild stories of rape, satanic torture, baby sacrifice and the murder of Kelly. This guy got tunnel vision and latched onto the satanic panic, even targeting the local sheriff, who one of the kids (and one of the Kern's wife) said was involved in the satanic rituals and in the murder of Kelly.
AGinHI
AG
TxTarpon said:

I really wish he could milk all the cash from the evil therapists, DA's and cops involved in this BS.
I wouldn't call them "evil" as in maliciously immoral and wicked. More characteristic would be moralists, ideologues, and zealots caught up with their own biases and the cultural paradigm of the time inducing them to act both illogically and unethically.

Much like what is occurring today.
“We don't have a government of the people, by the people, for the people. We have government of the people, by the bureaucrats, for the bureaucrats.”

-Milton Friedman
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
This entire podcast is worth your time, in my opinion.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-witch-trials-of-j-k-rowling/id1671691064?i=1000600750210
AGinHI
AG
BluHorseShu said:

I remember a book being passed around in the 8th grading letting you know what things had Satan hidden in them....Like the band Kiss, Journey, Ray Kroc (of McDonald's fame), various records played backwards, etc. It was crazy. I was into post-punk/new wave so it was a big deal but it was crazy how they could spin anything to be satanic.
Dungeons & Dragons

And who here knows this one?
“We don't have a government of the people, by the people, for the people. We have government of the people, by the bureaucrats, for the bureaucrats.”

-Milton Friedman
beanbean
AGinHI said:

BluHorseShu said:

I remember a book being passed around in the 8th grading letting you know what things had Satan hidden in them....Like the band Kiss, Journey, Ray Kroc (of McDonald's fame), various records played backwards, etc. It was crazy. I was into post-punk/new wave so it was a big deal but it was crazy how they could spin anything to be satanic.
Dungeons & Dragons

I do, you turn it upside down and it spells "Devil."
AGinHI
AG
beanbean said:

AGinHI said:

BluHorseShu said:

Dungeons & Dragons

I do, you turn it upside down and it spells "Devil."
Nice!

Ronnie said it was coincidence, but those were the times.

-Milton Friedman
Stat Monitor Repairman

Back in the 1980s there was a kid named Natas Kaupas from Santa Monica, California. The kid was a savant skateboarder and ended up with his own brand of skateboard called 'NATAS.'

Anyway, the poor kid got caught up in the satanic panic when somebody decided that NATAS brand skateboards were satanic because Natas spelled satan backwards.

true story.

Anybody remember this nonsense?
beanbean
Hell yeah, Natas was awesome and his boards were great. I was skater kid in the 80's.
TheMasterplan
COVID was one big moral panic.
AGinHI
AG
That makes two of us.

Although I stopped skating sometime around 8th or 9th grade after a kid we played soccer with had a freak accident.

Didn't even realize it until my mother tells me one day that she recognized I haven't skated since PJ died.

Wouldn't get on a board again until my mid 30's.

-Milton Friedman
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
TheMasterplan said:

COVID was one big moral panic.

Okay. What else today might be a possible moral panic?
The System
AG
beanbean said:

Hell yeah, Natas was awesome and his boards were great. I was skater kid in the 80's.

I was more of a Tony hawk / Steve caballero fan, but Natas was great. There was a lot of satanic panic about the skate world. Remember the Powell-Peralta logo?
UTExan
These stories make me so angry. Judges need to drill into juries emphatically that they should convict on proof beyond a reasonable doubt, not a preponderance of evidence. And jurors should be subject to be queried by a review panel after the trial regarding their decisions. Any decision to convict should carry the responsibility to explain why that juror would vote to convict.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
beanbean
The System said:

beanbean said:

I was more of a Tony hawk / Steve caballero fan, but Natas was great. There was a lot of satanic panic about the skate world. Remember the Powell-Peralta logo?
Yeah I have Powell-Peralta, Santa Cruz, Vision, BMX company stickers all over my rolling toolbox in the garage. I actually collect 80's memorabilia with BMX and skateboarding. I have a Powell-Peralta Lance Mountain complete board along with a Hosoi and a Santa Cruz Claus Grabke. Those were the boards I rode in the 80's and I bought reissued versions of them a couple of years ago. My originals are long gone. I also had a Vision Gator but I can't bring myself to buy a reissue of that (even they sell them) since he brutally raped and murdered that girl in the early 90's.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
UTExan said:

These stories make me so angry. Judges need to drill into juries emphatically that they should convict on proof beyond a reasonable doubt, not a preponderance of evidence. And jurors should be subject to be queried by a review panel after the trial regarding their decisions. Any decision to convict should carry the responsibility to explain why that juror would vote to convict.

When I was a juror on a murder trial, the defense lawyers and the prosecution all came in to talk to us with the judge. Is that not the norm?

I know that's not the same thing but we at least talked with everyone. We found the gentleman guilty but he appealed and was supposed to get a new trial but they dropped the charges, I believe.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Quote:

I also had a Vision Gator but I can't bring myself to buy a reissue of that (even they sell them) since he brutally raped and murdered that girl in the early 90's.
Do what now?

Whats the story on this?
The System
AG
beanbean said:

The System said:

beanbean said:

Yeah I have Powell-Peralta, Santa Cruz, Vision, BMX company stickers all over my rolling toolbox in the garage. I actually collect 80's memorabilia with BMX and skateboarding. I have a Powell-Peralta Lance Mountain complete board along with a Hosoi and a Santa Cruz Claus Grabke. Those were the boards I rode in the 80's and I bought reissued versions of them a couple of years ago. My originals are long gone. I also had a Vision Gator but I can't bring myself to buy a reissue of that (even they sell them) since he brutally raped and murdered that girl in the early 90's.

I remember a kid from school telling me I was going to hell because of the 666 sticker on my trapper keeper. It's the Powell Peralta logo dumbass!
beanbean
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

Quote:

I also had a Vision Gator but I can't bring myself to buy a reissue of that (even they sell them) since he brutally raped and murdered that girl in the early 90's.
Do what now?

Whats the story on this?
SanAntoneAg
AG
Wasn't it Algore and his wife who led the PRMC hearings back in 1985?
Gig 'em! '90
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
SanAntoneAg said:

Wasn't it Algore and his wife who led the PRMC hearings back in 1985?

Yes. And quite a few of the artists that were against censorship in the 80s and 90s are for it now.
Double Talkin' Jive...
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.