FAA Closes Air Space Over Lake Michigan For "National Defense" Purpose

19,298 Views | 177 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by buzzardb267
Ag with kids
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Rapier108 said:

https://www.flightradar24.com/SNTRY25/2f2c8903

https://www.flightradar24.com/2f2c5808

I've been using FlightAware...Thanks for showing me this one.

We actually have a PingStation that puts local ADS-B into our SA tool for work but when I need to see further than that, this looks pretty nice.
akaggie05
AG
The E-3 and KC-135 (my bad, I missed that one earlier) are still up there, and I'm seeing things on the twitter machine now saying that something was downed over Lake Huron.

justcallmeharry
S

spadilly
S

BenFiasco14
AG
Starting to resemble the start of the movie Signs
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
spadilly
S
sts7049
AG
themissinglink said:

The war on balloons

I'm guessing we're spending $50 million per balloon

The military industrial complex strikes again.

why not just flood the air with them? greatest country in the world defeated by a few dozen balloons
DallasAg 94
SidetrackAg
AG
Was shaped like an octagon and hovering around 20,000' according to tweets
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

An "unidentified object" was shot down with a missile by U.S. fighter jets Sunday over Lake Huron, and it was believed to be the same one tracked over Montana and monitored by the government beginning the night before, U.S. officials said.

The downing comes after earlier objects in Alaska and Canada were shot out of the sky because they were flying at altitudes that posed a threat to commercial aircraft, according to the officials, who had knowledge of the downings and spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity to discuss the sensitive operations.

U.S. and Canadian authorities had restricted some airspace over the lake earlier Sunday as planes were scrambled to intercept and try to identify the object.

Rep. Elissa Slotkin, D-Mich., tweeted that "the object has been downed by pilots from the U.S. Air Force and National Guard." The shootdown was confirmed by four U.S. officials.
LINK
Fishing Fools
F-22 killin it this week!

TyHolden
AG
China about to shoot one down too...it's aliens. We should be trying to communicate with them rather than shooting them down. I think DeSantis would do this.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/china-claims-unidentified-object-airspace-prepared-shoot-down
Dan Scott
AG
I think it was around 2019, pilots along the West coast reported objects in the sky. There was a period where it was common and then nothing. Related?
Science Denier
AG
It's not a spy ballon.
Its ALIENS!!!!
LOL OLD
SidetrackAg
AG
justcallmeharry
S
Little Rock Ag
AG
Fat Black Swan
AG
Eh probably a balloon
Old Sarge
AG
Little Rock Ag said:

Glad to see I wasn't the only one thinking about this.
Nanomachines son
TyHolden said:

I love that his hair got progressively crazier and crazier as the show went on.
SidetrackAg
AG
Rossticus
Hope it WAS aliens. Pissing off an advanced civilization is probably the most efficient way imaginable to get DC wiped off the map. Hope Beijing shoots theirs down too, to the same result.
whatthehey78
AG
How are these not 'sighted' until somewhere in mid-Canada or mid-America. Where are they originating from??
China (whomever) have a secret base in the Artic/Alaska/Canada/USA?????
Alexander, Caesar, Charlemagne, and myself founded empires; but upon what foundation did we rest the creations of our genius? Upon force! But Jesus Christ founded His upon love; and at this hour millions of men would die for Him. - Napoleon Bonaparte
buzzardb267
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

They'll be a dramatic shootdown of a balloon after the end of the super bowl. They'll show Biden and Trudeau with flight jackets on sitting around a conference table looking serious. It's gonna be a prime time ****show. Calling it now.
We can only hope that works out as well as this....

justcallmeharry
S
https://www.defense.gov/News/Releases/Release/Article/3296111/statement-on-todays-actions-by-north-american-aerospace-defense-command/

"Today at 2:42 p.m. ET, at the direction of President Biden, and based on the recommendations of Secretary Austin and military leadership, an F-16 fired an AIM9x to successfully shoot down an airborne object flying at approximately 20,000 feet altitude in U.S. airspace over Lake Huron in the State of Michigan.

Its path and altitude raised concerns, including that it could be a hazard to civil aviation. The location chosen for this shoot down afforded us the opportunity to avoid impact to people on the ground while improving chances for debris recovery. There are no indications of any civilians hurt or otherwise affected. North American Aerospace Defense Command detected the object Sunday morning and has maintained visual and radar tracking of it. Based on its flight path and data we can reasonably connect this object to the radar signal picked up over Montana, which flew in proximity to sensitive DOD sites.

We did not assess it to be a kinetic military threat to anything on the ground, but assess it was a safety flight hazard and a threat due to its potential surveillance capabilities. Our team will now work to recover the object in an effort to learn more."
BenFiasco14
AG
Fat Black Swan said:

Eh probably a balloon

Oh wow. I want to believe!
ChrisTAMU
AG
How is this not getting more attention?
BenFiasco14
AG
Cause of the Super Bowl Pentagon press conference should be starting any minute now but doubt we learn anything useful
one safe place
Is it possible these balloons and "objects" are just a new way for China to deliver goods made in China to Walmart and Amazon?
javajaws
AG
justcallmeharry said:

https://www.defense.gov/News/Releases/Release/Article/3296111/statement-on-todays-actions-by-north-american-aerospace-defense-command/

"Today at 2:42 p.m. ET, at the direction of President Biden, and based on the recommendations of Secretary Austin and military leadership, an F-16 fired an AIM9x to successfully shoot down an airborne object flying at approximately 20,000 feet altitude in U.S. airspace over Lake Huron in the State of Michigan.

Its path and altitude raised concerns, including that it could be a hazard to civil aviation. The location chosen for this shoot down afforded us the opportunity to avoid impact to people on the ground while improving chances for debris recovery. There are no indications of any civilians hurt or otherwise affected. North American Aerospace Defense Command detected the object Sunday morning and has maintained visual and radar tracking of it. Based on its flight path and data we can reasonably connect this object to the radar signal picked up over Montana, which flew in proximity to sensitive DOD sites.

We did not assess it to be a kinetic military threat to anything on the ground, but assess it was a safety flight hazard and a threat due to its potential surveillance capabilities. Our team will now work to recover the object in an effort to learn more."
I thought they said they shot down the one over Montana?
BenFiasco14
AG
Pentagon says they don't know what these recent objects are or "what they're capable of." The objects have not been identified
BenFiasco14
AG
more details from press conference:
'very very small objects'
'we wont go into detail into shape of objects'
'difficult for pilots to say a factual, scientific-based description'
'not able to categorize how they stay aloft'
'cant say they are a balloon, calling them an object for a reason'
flakrat
AG
What the?
FriendlyAg
Ty Ben
aggiehawg
AG
BenFiasco14 said:

more details from press conference:
'very very small objects'
'we wont go into detail into shape of objects'
'difficult for pilots to say a factual, scientific-based description'
'not able to categorize how they stay aloft'
'cant say they are a balloon, calling them an object for a reason'
WTF?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.