Bill Maher, "Culture Warrior For The Political Right"

5,294 Views | 83 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Bill Clinternet
Tom Doniphon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
That maybe the first thing you've ever posted that I agree with....
YouBet
AG
Neehau said:

Tom Doniphon said:

Completely shocked you'd think that....
Yes, like him, I tend to be right about the far left and the far right.

The only difference between the far right and the far left for me is that the far right is more dangerous.

Which defies reality in America.
Mulberrywildman
AG
Not the poster's quote, very close verbatim to what Jordan Peterson has said.

You can Google this poster's replies and they appear to sometimes be copy and pastes from the internet basically, but they never give a link, use quotes, or allude to their "response" being a copy and paste job and, appears to me, is attempting to pawn them off as its own.
Rodney Ruxin
Had the same thought, that's not even his quote.

Oh, and he showed his hand when he said Maher is "basically right about everything". Critical thinkers never agree with everything a public figure says, at that point you are just a fan boy. Thinking of the people I agree most with in public life, I would never say I agree with them on everything. That's virtually impossible if you're an honest thinker.

Intelligent people just don't speak in absolutes like that.
YouBet
AG
Rodney Ruxin said:

Oh, and he showed his hand when he said Maher is "basically right about everything". Critical thinkers never agree with everything a public figure says, at that point you are just a fan boy. Thinking of the people I agree most with in public life, I would never say I agree with them on everything. That's virtually impossible if you're an honest thinker.

Sith do.
Rapier108
Quote:

Bill Clinternet
AG
Rodney Ruxin said:

"Bill Maher is pretty much correct about everything he says."

No absolutes in my statement.
"I am neither an Athenian nor a Greek, but a citizen of the world"-Plato, attributed to Socrates, Theaetetus-
Rodney Ruxin
Yes, there is
Bill Clinternet
AG
Rodney Ruxin said:

Yes, there is
no there isnt. He isnt right about everything that is why I said pretty much.
"I am neither an Athenian nor a Greek, but a citizen of the world"-Plato, attributed to Socrates, Theaetetus-
Rodney Ruxin
That's a distinction without a difference. Anyone who reads person x is "pretty much right about everything they say" is going to interpret that (correctly) as you basically having no disagreement with that person. You're just playing semantics now.

You should never agree with "pretty much everything" someone says. That's a pretty big clue you aren't thinking through things for yourself. But to be fair, that's pretty common with Maher's audience.
YouBet
AG
Rodney Ruxin said:

That's a distinction without a difference. Anyone who reads person x is "pretty much right about everything they say" is going to interpret that (correctly) as you basically having no disagreement with that person. You're just playing semantics now.

You should never agree with "pretty much everything" someone says. That's a pretty big clue you aren't thinking through things for yourself.
This is known with him.
Bill Clinternet
AG
Rodney Ruxin said:

You should never agree with "pretty much everything" someone says. That's a pretty big clue you aren't thinking through things for yourself. But to be fair, that's pretty common with Maher's audience.
No, you are. If i thought he was right about everything he said I would have said that.

He is pretty much right about everything he says. He is not right about everything.
Rodney Ruxin
I don't think you know what "semantics" means if you think I'm the one utilizing it.

Back to the operative point, the fact that you think someone else is right about "pretty much everything they say" goes to a lack of critical thought on your part. You're just on "team" Bill Maher.

Maybe you should read your own signature a few times?
Bill Clinternet
AG
Rodney Ruxin said:

I don't think you know what "semantics" means if you think I'm the one utilizing it.

Back to the operative point, the fact that you think someone else is right about "pretty much everything they say" goes to a lack of critical thought on your part. You're just on "team" Bill Maher.

Maybe you should read your own signature a few times?
I am very aware of what it means. You are deliberately misconstruing what you know I meant. You are doing what you are accusing me of doing. It is called gaslighting.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.