Bill Maher, "Culture Warrior For The Political Right"

5,269 Views | 83 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Bill Clinternet
Rapier108
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quote:

The left on Twitter came out in force against comedian Bill Maher Tuesday, arguing that he was a "right-wing" culture warrior who made racist comments against minorities and had a "smug face," to boot.

"Bill Maher" trended Tuesday morning on the social media platform after CNN announced that Maher's post-show segment, "Overtime," will air on Friday's during "CNN Tonight."

But even before Maher's deal with CNN became public, the comedian was already a punching bag for some on the left after he came out against "woke" education and accused environmentalist celebrities of hypocrisy.

Leftist and "Young Turks" host Cenk Uygur claimed that Maher was a culture warrior for the political right.

"Bill Maher is actually perfect for CNN to be honest. False equivalencies, propping up right-wing culture war talking points, fighting for the status quo and that smug face. [Jake] Tapper might get jealous because he might be outsmugged."

MSNBC host Mehdi Hasan depicted Maher as a racist. "Hmm. Bill Maher is obsessed with this idea that 'cancel culture is out of control.' Yet Maher himself just got a new CNN gig, despite saying outrageous things about Muslims, Arabs, and trans people; making crass jokes about Asians; & using the N-word on TV."
https://www.foxnews.com/media/bill-maher-trends-twitter-getting-slammed-being-right-wing-that-smug-face

When Bill Maher is considered "right wing" by the left, then the left has gone so far out there that the Hubble Space Telescope can't see them anymore.
CDUB98
AG
Purity tests are always fun.
TheEternalPessimist
Clown world.

Maher is not on the right. Or even the middle.

The far left is mad that he simply sees holes in their arguments and calls out obvious bs from his own side. That can not be allowed.

Kind of like how Steven Crowder is on the right.
Tom Doniphon
Maher is a liberal POS. Should tell you all you need to know about current leftists policies.
Cyprian
AG
Not sure i could have predicted this a couple of years ago, the left continues to deep dive into extremism.

It's a shame they didn't get beat more in the mid terms (poor GOP candidates to blame), now they probably feel more emboldened.
Central Committee
AG
Maher is a far left liberal, but a traditional liberal in that he believes in free speech and opposes the cancel culture. I was pleasantly surprised at his take on the woke educations and CRT.

While I disagree with Maher 90% of the time, it is nice to see a few hard left liberals pushing back on some of the most egregious policies being pushed by the leftists.

But everyone left of Maher is a true communist, IMO, because they seek policies and outcomes to push us into communism.
We may not always get what we want. We may not always get what we need. Just so we don't get what we deserve.
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
let me be clear we do not want maher in our team you keep him. we do not want.
Tex117
AG
LOL. L....O.....L....

Saltwater Assassin
AG
On some level, this is interesting to watch.

These people are creating a monster mob, that they celebrate when it comes after their peers/rivals, seemingly unaware that it will come for them eventually.

Do right and bear the consequences. -Sam Houston
CanyonAg77
AG
Detmersdislocatedshoulder said:

In general, yes. When he has the correct take, it's a good thing, though. Maybe will red pill a few of his idiot followers.
LMCane
it's almost as if the leftist Revolutions eat their own..

frenchtoast
They got the smug face part right.
dannyv
AG
Central Committee said:

Maher is a far left liberal, but a traditional liberal in that he believes in free speech and opposes the cancel culture. I was pleasantly surprised at his take on the woke educations and CRT.

While I disagree with Maher 90% of the time, it is nice to see a few hard left liberals pushing back on some of the most egregious policies being pushed by the leftists.

But everyone left of Maher is a true communist, IMO, because they seek policies and outcomes to push us into communism.
He's far left but he's intellectually honest, which is exceedingly rare on the left.
AgNav93
AG
Rapier108 said:

Quote:

The left on Twitter came out in force against comedian Bill Maher Tuesday, arguing that he was a "right-wing" culture warrior who made racist comments against minorities and had a "smug face," to boot.

"Bill Maher" trended Tuesday morning on the social media platform after CNN announced that Maher's post-show segment, "Overtime," will air on Friday's during "CNN Tonight."

But even before Maher's deal with CNN became public, the comedian was already a punching bag for some on the left after he came out against "woke" education and accused environmentalist celebrities of hypocrisy.

Leftist and "Young Turks" host Cenk Uygur claimed that Maher was a culture warrior for the political right.

"Bill Maher is actually perfect for CNN to be honest. False equivalencies, propping up right-wing culture war talking points, fighting for the status quo and that smug face. [Jake] Tapper might get jealous because he might be outsmugged."

MSNBC host Mehdi Hasan depicted Maher as a racist. "Hmm. Bill Maher is obsessed with this idea that 'cancel culture is out of control.' Yet Maher himself just got a new CNN gig, despite saying outrageous things about Muslims, Arabs, and trans people; making crass jokes about Asians; & using the N-word on TV."
https://www.foxnews.com/media/bill-maher-trends-twitter-getting-slammed-being-right-wing-that-smug-face

When Bill Maher is considered "right wing" by the left, then the left has gone so far out there that the Hubble Space Telescope can't see them anymore.
They have become orthodox leftists. Those that don't subscribe to every tenet of the orthodoxy are labeled heretics or right wing extremists.
Maroon Dawn
AG
Bill is a Leftist but he can see how radical the American left has become and is worried that it's going to turn off the independents
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
I can't think of a much better person for the whack jobs to try to pick a fight with.

I heartily endorse this.

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
Franklin Comes Alive!
Def not mad that everyone hates bill maher
Sid Farkas
AG
Maher must be ecstatic. Now he can pose as a moderate person while continuing to sell straight-ticket democrats as an alternative to the "dangerous conservatives".
Little Rock Ag
AG
Bill Maher is a prime example of why I don't like calling the forces that are destroying America, "liberals". They are absolutely the most illiberal people alive and are nothing more than statists and blind proponents of globalist authoritarianism. Now, I'll grant you that American liberalism has birthed this movement to a large degree, and liberals are often gullible which has further given cover to the evil doers.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Detmersdislocatedshoulder said:

He's on our team. He's a citizen of the country and we're in this together.

Maher is a reasonable person that I have some idealogical issues with but he's not dangerous. We just disagree on many policies. That doesn't make him the devil or a POS.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
Rodney Ruxin
Quote:

CNN props up right-wing culture war talking points now. Holy cognitive dissonance Batman.

The Young Turks literally does this with everyone who disagrees with them, it's their form letter response. Do you know how many people they have accused of being right -wing who have literally never voted for a Republican in their entire life? I can think of 3-4 just off the top of my head from the last couple of months alone.

It's bat*****
Get Off My Lawn
Maher spent years pretentiously mocking Christians who were pointing out that his ideology lacked an anchor. Now his ideological ship has drifted out to sea and he's screaming at the party goers rather than repenting from his role in loosing it from its moorings.

He's closer than he once was, but I'd love to see him sit down with the guys from the Babylon Bee and run a postmortem on his cultural role.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Maher mocks everyone. Get over it.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Sure, but my main issue with Maher is that he still views the Republican Party as inherently evil, while the Democratic Party is this wonderful thing being soiled by misguided fools.

When in reality they are both inherently evil.
Rodney Ruxin
Ghost of Andrew Eaton said:

No, he doesn't. Just because he isn't completely orthodox lefty doesn't mean he's some equal opportunity firebrand. Bill is very much a Hillary Clinton democrat and he absolutely does not mock establishment Dem policies, at least beyond once every blue moon. He makes very clear that he feels the Reps present a threat that isn't even comparable to that of the Dems, quite often.
captkirk
AG
Fat boy Cenk is perhaps the most stupid person on TV. He and Don Lemon are neck and neck
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Rodney Ruxin said:

No, he doesn't. Just because he isn't completely orthodox lefty doesn't mean he's some equal opportunity firebrand. Bill is very much a Hillary Clinton democrat and he absolutely does not mock establishment Dem policies, at least beyond once every blue moon. He makes very clear that he feels the Reps present a threat that isn't even comparable to that of the Dems, quite often.
Threat? Threat to what?

And yes, he doesn't mock everyone. Many Christians are not above being mocked and should be from time to time.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Definitely Not A Cop said:

Sure, but my main issue with Maher is that he still views the Republican Party as inherently evil, while the Democratic Party is this wonderful thing being soiled by misguided fools.

Has he called them "inherently evil"?
Rodney Ruxin
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Rodney Ruxin said:

Threat? Threat to what?

And yes, he doesn't mock everyone. Many Christians are not above being mocked and should be from time to time.

You clearly don't watch his show, or are just being dishonest. He has verbatim called Reps a threat to democracy several times, just in the last season. He makes it very clear.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
So you watch his show? Can you direct me to a particular episode?
Rodney Ruxin

Rodney Ruxin said:

Threat? Threat to what?

Example A below:

GOP will kill Democracy

Done playing stupid now? There are several examples of this if you want to keep digging the hole.
BQ78
AG
FIFY

Rodney Ruxin
Here's another one:

https://www.newsweek.com/bill-maher-slams-gop-deciding-democracy-whats-wrong-america-1700350
Definitely Not A Cop
AG

Definitely Not A Cop said:

Has he called them "inherently evil"?

Yes. He's said it a few times when discussing politics with Joe Rogan on his podcast.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Rodney Ruxin said:

Here's another one:

https://www.newsweek.com/bill-maher-slams-gop-deciding-democracy-whats-wrong-america-1700350
Fair enough. At least he provided examples of Republican's wanting to do what he accused them up.

Thanks for the information.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.