Do you agree with this statement from my black conservative neighbor down the street?

5,754 Views | 71 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by sts7049
OldAg68
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
LBJ was a crook - the archtypical corrupt politician making backroom deals.
evan_aggie
AG
2012heisman said:

He looked at my house with a Abbott sign from down the street and told me the following statement while walking his dog in October 2022:

"Every Black American's net worth would be 3 times greater than what it is right now if Thomas Sowell was President of the United States in the 60s instead of LBJ. He also said LBJ was more harmful for Black Americans than Hitler was for Jews in Europe."

Keep in mind this guy told me he keeps a Daniel Defense in every room of his house, he voted for Don Huffines in the primaries, went to UT Law, and works in Oil and Gas Law.

Nevertheless, it is good to see that some people understand the harm that LBJ's Great Society did.

Edit: He also told me to read Shelby Steele

So your neighbor is saying that the execution and gassing to death of millions of black people in the 60s in an attempt to wipe them off this earth would be better than what they dealt with in the USA in the 60s?
schmellba99
AG
I get his sentiment, but cant' say I really agree with parts of it.

The 3x net worth is a part I cannot agree with, because history has shown us over and over again that there is a large subset of the population that will be poor no matter how much they earn or are given - people are dumb, some even dumber when it comes to finances.

LBJ was an evil SOB though, no doubt about that
svaggie
AG
His friend his definitely correct. LBJ did a lot of bad for the blacks in the 60's. Thomas Sowell is a true treasure and speaks about this.
TheEternalPessimist
2012heisman said:

He looked at my house with a Abbott sign from down the street and told me the following statement while walking his dog in October 2022:

"Every Black American's net worth would be 3 times greater than what it is right now if Thomas Sowell was President of the United States in the 60s instead of LBJ. He also said LBJ was more harmful for Black Americans than Hitler was for Jews in Europe."

Keep in mind this guy told me he keeps a Daniel Defense in every room of his house, he voted for Don Huffines in the primaries, went to UT Law, and works in Oil and Gas Law.

Nevertheless, it is good to see that some people understand the harm that LBJ's Great Society did.

It would be even more awesome if he told you to read Shelby Foote too!
aggie93
AG
Nazi comparisons suck because they are so loaded on all sides. Hitler was horrific and deserves all of the scorn of course but in the end when you say Nazi or Hitler people just can't talk about it objectively for the most part.

The larger point is that LBJ destroyed the black family and culture by rewarding the worst behavior and actually penalizing good behavior. It's so far gone now I don't know how it recovers. The worst part is how many wealthy or upper middle class black families embrace those social policies because they benefit. Their kid who has the grades to barely get into A&M instead goes to Vanderbilt on a full ride. They get better jobs and opportunities because of DEI. Yet they personally haven't suffered discrimination at all and they are often much wealthier and more privileged than their counterparts. It's hard to give up those advantages and especially when you get to play the victim as well. A lot of black people can now get into a school they otherwise wouldn't be able to with big scholarship money, major in AA studies or some other LA, then get a job working in a DEI department making bank and having job security. All they have to do is accept the narrative and play ball.

One of the things that is most striking to me in having recruited Engineers for years is how many Black Engineers that I have placed that are immigrants, especially Christian Nigerians. They don't have the same mentality as US born Blacks and they benefit from DEI. The end result is we import in Black immigrants in order to hit DEI numbers because there is such a shortage of Blacks in the US who have a desire to pursue fields like Engineering and that are strong students.

Race is just a terrible thing to look at when evaluating people in any way, it is incredibly destructive.
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
Tramp96
Sq 17 said:

Pretty sure a black man was not winning the presidency in the 60's so his original premise is garbage, Next president is not king , so even if Sowell won unlikely he could have pushed all of his policies through.

Is Sowell more like a Nixon Conservative or a Goldwater Conservative or an Eisenhower Conservative ?
You missed the point completely.

It was a hypothetical scenario.
DeSantis 2024
OasisMan
AG
2012heisman said:

...He also said LBJ was more harmful for Black Americans than Hitler was for Jews in Europe...."
lol wat
AgBandsman
AG
captkirk said:

The average black family would certainly be better off

One of those lines is not like the others.

edit: and the steepest curve is immediately after LBJ.
WC87
AG
Would agree with his statement but you should never invoke Hitler as part of your argument.
deddog
AG
rocky the dog said:

It really is amazing how you do this.
YouBet
AG
Kenneth_2003 said:

jrdaustin said:

I'm not a fan of LBJ, but I never came to that conclusion about him. I am intrigued by your friend's take on the man. Definitely sounds like someone I would enjoy having a beer with and hearing him lay out his thoughts on the matter...

LBJ was a vile, hateful, power hungry, misogynistic, racist, sob.

There was a thread on LBJ a while back that five into some of his sickening behavior.

It's been postulated that internal within the Democrat party, the Civil rights legislation was viewed/sold as a way to book the black community on the government take and a loyalty/vote buying scheme.

LBJ explicitly stated this and has an infamous quote on it.

Agree with the neighbors statement but as others have said invoking Hitler immediately renders his argument moot because people's ability to think critically malfunctions immediately.
rocky the dog
AG
Quote:

Quote:

rocky the dog said:

It really is amazing how you do this.

A vast meme/gif library and a few internet tools.

Elections are when people find out what politicians stand for, and politicians find out what people will fall for.
- Alfred E. Neuman
e=mc2
AG
Kenneth_2003 said:

jrdaustin said:

I'm not a fan of LBJ, but I never came to that conclusion about him. I am intrigued by your friend's take on the man. Definitely sounds like someone I would enjoy having a beer with and hearing him lay out his thoughts on the matter...

LBJ was a vile, hateful, power hungry, misogynistic, racist, sob.

There was a thread on LBJ a while back that five into some of his sickening behavior.

It's been postulated that internal within the Democrat party, the Civil rights legislation was viewed/sold as a way to book the black community on the government take and a loyalty/vote buying scheme.

My grandfather knew LBJ pretty well and even went to DC for a potential cabinet position. After witnessing how LBJ treated those around him, he decided there was no way in hell he'd be treated like that and turned him down. Your assessment is correct.
Ags4DaWin
dead said:

"[M]ore harmful ... than Hitler was for Jews in Europe" certainly is a take

Hitler killed 10 million jews.

The result of LBJ's policies and planned parenthood has Seen over 20 million black babies killed.

Granted, Hitler directly was responsible for the policies that saw 10 million jews killed and LBJ was just a cog in the wheel.

But when you combine those abortion deaths with the poverty and violence related deaths, and the cultural destruction the War on Poverty caused he doesn't have a bad argument.
CanyonAg77
AG
Hitler killed 6 million Jews in 6 years

20 million black babies have been killed through abortion alone in the last 50 years.

Is slow better than fast?

I might argue that LBJ was worse for blacks, because he apparently thought he was helping. At least Hitler was honest about his intentions
cecil77
AG
rocky the dog said:

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.

Teach a man to fish and you eliminate an entire market segment.
B-1 83
AG
Maroon Dawn said:

He's not wrong.

The more incredible thing is that Dems can look at places like Baltimore that haven't had a single Republican since the 50s or further back and say "no we need to stick with the Dems because they'll eventually bring us paradise!"
I've got to wonder what Baltimore was like in the 60's and maybe on in to the 70s. Surely such a city wasn't always a sh@#hole.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
oldcrow91
AG
dead said:

"[M]ore harmful ... than Hitler was for Jews in Europe" certainly is a take

How many black abortions since LBJ? I've always said too bad Oswald didn't get a different guy that day.

ETA: Oswald or the mafia or CIA
richardag
LMCane said:

2012heisman said:

that's frankly a moral abomination

to claim that LBJ was worse for blacks

than the Nazis butchering and gassing and starving, and bayoneting, and shooting six million men, women and children
You are right, he made a poor choice for comparison. But the main point is the Democratic Party leadership knew what and why they were doing what they did in order to buy votes. LBJ was a racist along with President Biden. The Democratic leadership continues this unethical behavior.
-We understand why children are afraid of darkness ... but why are men afraid of light?
Plato
richardag
nortex97 said:

Bingo, and in absolute human terms, many more blacks have been killed directly since the 'great society' of LBJ, let alone indirectly via the willful (not negligent) destruction of black family/religious structures/facilitation of violent crime in their/said communities.

Just because we don't have pictures of the 'others' a la Auschwitz or sad lamentations about the daily destruction and it's actual/real causes, doesn't make the damage/deaths any less.

Anyway, back to worrying about the ecological impact of the aquifer in Nantucket if a couple hundred units of 'affordable' housing are built there. "White liberal problems."
The Democratic policies instituted with the complicit Republicans could be considered more insidious. The connection between these policies were and are not transparent and obvious to much of American. The typical liberal utopia bull****, we are only trying to help. Yet, the Democratic Party leadership knew and pushed this in order to buy votes and more or less said to hell with the consequences.

The destruction of the family unit and loss of life in the black community is harder for people to see the connections. The atrocities of the holocaust were blatant, in your face, horrific and very graphic.
-We understand why children are afraid of darkness ... but why are men afraid of light?
Plato
deddog
AG
cecil77 said:

rocky the dog said:

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.

Teach a man to fish and you eliminate an entire market segment.

Teach a man to fish, and he'll learn to drink all day.
Boom! For the existing beer market segment
deddog
AG
richardag said:

nortex97 said:

Bingo, and in absolute human terms, many more blacks have been killed directly since the 'great society' of LBJ, let alone indirectly via the willful (not negligent) destruction of black family/religious structures/facilitation of violent crime in their/said communities.

Just because we don't have pictures of the 'others' a la Auschwitz or sad lamentations about the daily destruction and it's actual/real causes, doesn't make the damage/deaths any less.

Anyway, back to worrying about the ecological impact of the aquifer in Nantucket if a couple hundred units of 'affordable' housing are built there. "White liberal problems."
The Democratic policies instituted with the complicit Republicans could be considered more insidious. The connection between these policies were and are not transparent and obvious to much of American. The typical liberal utopia bull****, we are only trying to help. Yet, the Democratic Party leadership knew and pushed this in order to buy votes and more or less said to hell with the consequences.

The destruction of the family unit and loss of life in the black community is harder for people to see the connections. The atrocities of the holocaust were blatant, in your face, horrific and very graphic.

Did Hitler kill more jews?
Or did Democrats kill more blacks under the guise of women's rights and abortion?
schmellba99
AG
aggie93 said:

Nazi comparisons suck because they are so loaded on all sides. Hitler was horrific and deserves all of the scorn of course but in the end when you say Nazi or Hitler people just can't talk about it objectively for the most part.

The larger point is that LBJ destroyed the black family and culture by rewarding the worst behavior and actually penalizing good behavior. It's so far gone now I don't know how it recovers. The worst part is how many wealthy or upper middle class black families embrace those social policies because they benefit. Their kid who has the grades to barely get into A&M instead goes to Vanderbilt on a full ride. They get better jobs and opportunities because of DEI. Yet they personally haven't suffered discrimination at all and they are often much wealthier and more privileged than their counterparts. It's hard to give up those advantages and especially when you get to play the victim as well. A lot of black people can now get into a school they otherwise wouldn't be able to with big scholarship money, major in AA studies or some other LA, then get a job working in a DEI department making bank and having job security. All they have to do is accept the narrative and play ball.

One of the things that is most striking to me in having recruited Engineers for years is how many Black Engineers that I have placed that are immigrants, especially Christian Nigerians. They don't have the same mentality as US born Blacks and they benefit from DEI. The end result is we import in Black immigrants in order to hit DEI numbers because there is such a shortage of Blacks in the US who have a desire to pursue fields like Engineering and that are strong students.

Race is just a terrible thing to look at when evaluating people in any way, it is incredibly destructive.
And yet people almost automatically congregate with the same race because it's pretty much ingrained in our DNA to associate with those we consider similar to ourselves. Not limited to humans, it's almost universal across the entire animal kingdom.

It's only destructive when it is used in a destructive manner, outside of that it is just humans being humans.
BCG Disciple
AG
Pretty clear to those that have escaped the grasp of government dependence to have a clear look at what is holding their people back. He sees it. The ones that rely on the dependence will fight to keep it, as no one wants to be the the one that takes it on the chin for subsequent generations.
nortex97
AG
deddog said:

richardag said:

nortex97 said:

Did Hitler kill more jews?
Or did Democrats kill more blacks under the guise of women's rights and abortion?
It's not even close. If you added up Stalin and Hitler, you'd get close to the 'women's rights' deaths Democrats have created. You might have to toss in Mao though to make it equal, yet even then I'd throw Fauci Flu on top to give the American left the all time championship.
Dimebag Darrell
schmellba99 said:

I get his sentiment, but cant' say I really agree with parts of it.

The 3x net worth is a part I cannot agree with, because history has shown us over and over again that there is a large subset of the population that will be poor no matter how much they earn or are given - people are dumb, some even dumber when it comes to finances.

LBJ was an evil SOB though, no doubt about that
True, it's impossible to quantify in any real meaningful way anyways. I think something along the lines of "black people would be in MUCH better shape had there been more Thomas Sowell types in govt and fewer LBJ's and bleeding heart white liberals hellbent on meddling with black people "for their own good"".

One of the best cases you can possibly make to illustrate how shockingly incompetent and corrupt the government is, is to drive through pretty much any black neighborhood in America. Almost every single one has been ruined by the toxic tentacles of the federal government. Indian reservations too.
Dimebag Darrell
schmellba99 said:

aggie93 said:

And yet people almost automatically congregate with the same race because it's pretty much ingrained in our DNA to associate with those we consider similar to ourselves. Not limited to humans, it's almost universal across the entire animal kingdom.

It's only destructive when it is used in a destructive manner, outside of that it is just humans being humans.
Tribalism along racial/ethnic lines has always been a thing, but I feel like this is changing, at least in my neck of the woods. We are in a nice suburban Houston neighborhood zoned to great schools that is surprisingly diverse...and we love it. Plenty of like minded black, Latino, and Asian two-parent families out here and it is refreshing to see. The mother of my daughter's lil black friend at daycare wants to send her son to a particular Christian private school out here because the teachers are armed.

I spent the better part of a decade living in and around the Heights, surrounded by limp wristed white liberal maggots that I utterly despised. Give me my black, Christian, Aggie neighbor every day of the f-ing week over any white liberal POS in the Heights or West U. NONE of those sack of sh** Beto worshiping MF'ers would ever offer to help me move in like he did the first time we met. They almost all wanted me ruined for daring to make my own medical decisions. They are my enemy.

I have always found hispanic dudes, from working class to mid-upper class, to be more "similar to myself" than most white dudes too. White guys are trending effeminate, I hate it but it's the truth. Hispanic men are more masculine and macho in general. I have more respect for and more inherently in common with the mexican dudes paving the road down the street than I do a growing number of whites nowadays.

I am not trying to disagree with you, I also want to be around people I consider similar to myself. I am just finding out it has nothing to do with race for me and everything to do with ideals and values. Inner city whites just wasn't it. In fact, F almost all of em.
rwtxag83
AG
B-1 83 said:

Maroon Dawn said:

He's not wrong.

The more incredible thing is that Dems can look at places like Baltimore that haven't had a single Republican since the 50s or further back and say "no we need to stick with the Dems because they'll eventually bring us paradise!"
I've got to wonder what Baltimore was like in the 60's and maybe on in to the 70s. Surely such a city wasn't always a sh@#hole.

Baltimore was a very blue collar town back then. It had a very active waterfront and sea based shipping/stevedore presence. It was also a very big rail hub that was interdependent with the shipping business.

McCormick spice company was based down there too and you could smell spices they were grinding and packaging for miles all over the area.

Union labor and Democrats have a lot of blame for making it a hard place to do business, but the death knell was the advent of the container based shipping industry. It virtually eliminated the need for larger numbers of dock workers. Some cities were able to switch over, but in order to make the transition you had to have large swaths of open and basically undeveloped land to stage the containers. Baltimore could not do that. McCormick spice company pulled up stakes and moved out to the suburbs and took hundreds of jobs away from the city center. Rails weren't needed anymore and they had been on a downward trajectory as passenger traffic was declining for decades.

It's really just been a shell of itself ever since. If it weren't for social programs artificially keeping decent numbers of people on the dole, I believe that much of the population would have moved away just to support themselves, and we may have seen a kind of rebirth by knocking down the older buildings/row houses and bringing in newer industry. Now they are stuck in kind of a no man's land with slums, high crime, and drugs. Until they get some kind of major economic drivers it won't change.

San Francisco had a similar change when container shipping took off. You can still see all the peirs down by the waterfront that used to support the industry. SanFran was lucky enough to survive because of tourism and the emerging technologies industry. All the shipping moved across the bay to Alameda where they had the room to develop.
Greater love hath no man than this....
B-1 83
AG
Thank you for a good explanation.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
EskimoJoe
frenchtoast said:

Clearly an Uncle Tom. He deserves to have his life ruined.

OP's neighbor is not black when using the current presidential definition of black.
TheCurl84
AG
Sea Speed said:

OP is AI

This made me laugh
C@LAg
rocky the dog said:

A vast meme/gif library and a few internet tools.

and no sex life, so he occasionally humps the coach pillows.
tunefx
AG
I agree with your neighbor. However, I would love to have his insights on why Sowell isn't more popular. Everything I've read to date makes me think Sowell is a genius.
Daddy
AG
2012heisman said:

I'll buy the bourbon
Sounds like a bear
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.