Egg Seizures Skyrocket At US Border As Arbitrageurs Attempt To Capitalize On Poultry

6,129 Views | 95 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by B-1 83
schmellba99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TxTarpon said:

Quote:

....and it doesn't put 3rd parties in danger.
Which is why the govt limits what comes in.
So ends the lesson.

Doesnt apply to people though, they let them in left and right, unvaccinated and all.
B-1 83
AG
Yeah, no doubt those herds of migrants are crossing the river with smuggled eggs and birds, and Border Patrol agents are confiscating them. Makes perfect sense.

This is at checkpoints by Customs inspectors (likely with help from APHIS) on people/vehicles crossing legally. A little different cat.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
aTmAg
AG
B-1 83 said:

Yeah, no doubt those herds of migrants are crossing the river with smuggled eggs and birds, and Border Patrol agents are confiscating them. Makes perfect sense.

This is at checkpoints by Customs inspectors (likely with help from APHIS) on people crossing legally. A little different cat.
My entire point in this thread (which you have foolishly been up in arms about) has been about EGGS. I never said anything about living birds.

So now do you agree, that somebody should be able to bring eggs (and not living birds) over the border and sell them?
Secolobo
AG
JSKolache
AG
This whole thing is a silly reminder that Capitalism will always prevail because it is human nature.
APHIS AG
Burdizzo said:

O don't normally go into Whole Foods, but if I hadn't seen this when I was there Friday I would not have believed it.

And with the new USDA regulations being implemented on "organically" grown foods", be prepared to pay a lot more.
milner79
richardag said:

one safe place said:

I'm good with skipping eggs until prices improve.
How about all the other products you buy that have eggs, egg yolks and egg whites in them?
List of Foods That Contain Eggs
  • Egg is found in mayonnaise, meringue, egg noodles and pasta, creamy salad dressings and sauces. Other examples of foods that have egg in the recipe include French toast, cream-filled pies, custard ice cream, pudding, sherbet and commercially prepared pancakes, cakes and brownies. Breads with a shiny glaze were brushed with egg before baking.
  • Egg may appear on a label as albumin, globulin, lecithin, lysozyme, simplesse and vitellin. Food Ingredients labeled with "ova" -- such as ovalbumin, ovomucin, ovomucoid -- also indicate the presence of egg. Egg substitutes contain egg white

And this is just a short list.

Breakfast freakin' tacos!
fullback44
AG
When I don't eat eggs the people around Me seem to be happier ? I wonder why
deddog
AG
So they can seize eggs, but can't seem to stop illegals?
C@LAg
deddog said:

eggs can't vote.
C@LAg
yet.
deddog
AG
I LOLed

I daresay most democrats have the same IQ as an egg.
So, it's only a matter of time before eggs can vote
B-1 83
AG
deddog said:

Eggs come through the checkpoint by CUSTOMS (not Border Patrol) with people legally trying to enter.
TxTarpon
aTmAg said:

What 3rd party is in danger when somebody in Mexico buys eggs, pork, pot, cocaine, meth, fentanyl, tripas, beef, etc drives them over the border, and sells them for me to eat?
FIFY
Just eliminate the border and it is all good.

Remember, Don't Pick a Pest
Foreign manufacturers and/or distributors of food products must register with FDA before their goods may be admitted.
TxTarpon
deddog said:

Chickens run.
Eggs don't

BQ_90
AG
deddog said:

They don't want to stop illegals, it's not that they can't, it's they don't want to
aTmAg
AG
TxTarpon said:

aTmAg said:

What 3rd party is in danger when somebody in Mexico buys eggs, pork, pot, cocaine, meth, fentanyl, tripas, beef, etc drives them over the border, and sells them for me to eat?
FIFY
Just eliminate the border and it is all good.

Remember, Don't Pick a Pest
Foreign manufacturers and/or distributors of food products must register with FDA before their goods may be admitted.
Was that supposed to be a gotcha?
fka ftc
TxTarpon said:

deddog said:

Chickens run.
Eggs don't

Dunno. I thought the coyotes were eating the chickens to help the illegals cross. I keep hearing talk about all the coyotes involved and now it makes sense.
"The absence of the word accountability is not the same as wanting no accountability" -unknown

"You can never go wrong by staying silent if there is nothing apt to say" -Walter Isaacson
Gilligan
AG
Paid $3.68 for jumbo eggs at HEB in Pearland yesterday.

I should play the lotto!
TxTarpon

Quote:

Was that supposed to be a gotcha?
Nope.
Just more babble entertainment when you try to respond.
You are awesome bro!
Tookieclothespin
AG
I got 18 pasture raised organic (which already costs more) eggs at costco for about $8 maybe two weeks ago. Not great, but not bad given current prices.

FJB
Hearne_Ag
AG
I've been skipping eggs most of my life, how can some people not go without eggs is beyond me.
Ghost Mech
HearneAg21 said:

I've been skipping eggs most of my life, how can some people not go without eggs is beyond me.

You've been eating them whether you realize it or not. They are mixed in and used as ingredients to tons of foods.

Obviously you don't like eggs as a stand alone meal. You're not alone. Fewer and fewer people have been eating them over the last couple decades from a study I read two years ago. However That trend seems to be changing due to inflation at least in the short run. Eggs have become a substitute for more expensive proteins. Ground beef too expensive for low income earners, buy eggs. Pork too expensive, buy eggs. Need a cheap meal for your children, two scrambled eggs and a piece of toast is pretty cheap.

In the short term (2 to 6 months) this price spike will work itself out via market forces, just like all the other spikes we've seen over the last couple years, (toilet paper, lumber, gas, baby formula, etc.) I'm sure everyone agrees $12 /doz for eggs is ****ing ridiculous even for the uber-lib Karen shopping at her local boutique high end grocery store.
Producers will fill the gap between supply and demand soon enough. New market participants will jump in. The avian flu will pass too. Eventually we will settle in w a new "normal" price. I'm guessing between $3.50 and $5.00 per dozen avg around the country by June this year.

Hearne_Ag
AG
As a stand alone meal it's a waste of time for me. Much rather eat something else.
Ghost Mech
You're missing out on some good eating w eggs if you're just scrambling them. Expand your cooking universe.

B-1 83
AG
That should be about right. It's about 5 months from hatching to laying, and a commercial layer goes from 2-3 years before becoming the "chicken" in Campbell's chicken noodle soup.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.