What if diversity trainings are doing more harm than good?

4,213 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by FCBlitz
StrickAggie06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/17/opinion/dei-trainings-effective.html

How in the hell did this get published by the NYT?? Facts, common sense, AND logical reasoning in one article?Impossible!

Quote:

D.E.I. trainings are designed to help organizations become more welcoming to members of traditionally marginalized groups. Advocates make bold promises: Diversity workshops can foster better intergroup relations, improve the retention of minority employees, close recruitment gaps and so on. The only problem? There's little evidence that many of these initiatives work. And the specific type of diversity training that is currently in vogue mandatory trainings that blame dominant groups for D.E.I. problems may well have a net-negative effect on the outcomes managers claim to care about.

Quote:

Dr. Paluck's team found just two large experimental studies in the previous decade that attempted to evaluate the effects of diversity trainings and met basic quality benchmarks. Other researchers have been similarly unimpressed. "We have been speaking to employers about this research for more than a decade," wrote the sociologists Frank Dobbin and Alexandra Kalev in 2018, "with the message that diversity training is likely the most expensive, and least effective, diversity program around." (To be fair, not all of these critiques apply as sharply to voluntary diversity trainings.)

Quote:

If diversity trainings have no impact whatsoever, that would mean that perhaps billions of dollars are being wasted annually in the United States on these efforts. But there's a darker possibility: Some diversity initiatives might actually worsen the D.E.I. climates of the organizations that pay for them.

Quote:

Many of these trainings run counter to the views of most Americans of any color on race and equality. And they're generating exactly the sort of backlash that research predicts.

Just ask employees at the Smithsonian's National Museum of African American History and Culture, which had to issue an apology after it posted an Okunesque graphic that presented rational thought, hard work and "emphasis on scientific method" as attributes of "white culture."

Quote:

The history of diversity trainings is, in a sense, a history of fads. Maybe the current crop will wither over time, new ones will sprout that are stunted by the same lack of evidence, and a decade from now someone else will write a version of this article. But it's also possible that organizations will grow tired of throwing time and money at trainings where the upside is mostly theoretical and the potential downsides include unhappy employees, public embarrassment and even lawsuits. It's possible they will realize that a true commitment to D.E.I. does not lend itself to easy solutions.
TheEternalPessimist
What if? HA.

We already know.

NYTimes is late to the party. Just like they are on 'vaccines'.
Rapier108
Who wants to go to a meeting for no other reason than to hear for 2-3 hours that you are literally Satan incarnate because you're white?

That kind of crap does no foster a good environment in any organization.

Same would be 100% true if the meetings were to rail on people because they were black, Asian, or Latino.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I fully believe they are an absolute waste of time, and in some cases, actually counterproductive. You are either a decent person who evaluates people by their work and their character or you are not. No corporate training changes that. These initiatives divide
Phatbob
AG
Who would have guessed that constantly focusing on race and whatever other differences we have would cause further separation between people... weird...
Squadron7
AG
It's not about training.

It is about an income stream for the DEI industry.
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
here is what i have learned from my DEI training. if you believe this article your a racist. DEI is a must for all whiteys because we are white devil, white devil.
Dr. Mephisto
AG
I don't think there's any "what if" about it.

They are racist hyper-sensitivity training made to make everyone else as neurotic and miserable as the folks who push it.
Gaius Julius Bevo
As an Asian American working in high tech, I despise the entire concept of DEI. I can't hire the best people without qualms - I alway have to justify why I want another guy, another (gasp Asian), on my team.

I feel like a quisling working against the best interests of my country when I follow HR guidelines as required and it gets bashed repeatedly into my head that I am NOT the PREFERRED minority and that my son who is nearly college age better watch out when he gets into the workplace.
stetson
AG
Quote:

perhaps billions of dollars are being wasted annually in the United States on these efforts

Universities now offer degree programs in this nonsense that even the most ill-prepared for college applicants can achieve, which has created a new revenue stream for these schools. What will these graduates do without these DEI programs?
FJB
BlueSmoke
DEI teams are a self-licking ice cream cone. They've carved out a spot for themselves and convinced everyone that they are integral.
Nobody cares. Work Harder
Pookers
AG
Gaius Julius Bevo said:

As an Asian American working in high tech, I despise the entire concept of DEI. I can't hire the best people without qualms - I alway have to justify why I want another guy, another (gasp Asian), on my team.

I feel like a quisling working against the best interests of my country when I follow HR guidelines as required and it gets bashed repeatedly into my head that I am NOT the PREFERRED minority and that my son who is nearly college age better watch out when he gets into the workplace.
Ahh, so they treat you like us filthy white men huh?
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
My subconscious bias verifies these are a waste of money paid to the presenters, a waste of time sitting in them while not doing work, and a waste of HR effort because in the course of working with people, even the most dim bulbs can figure out if you are working with a racist or misogynist. Everything else is just people seeking out things to claim hurt feelings so they don't have to do their share of the work.

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
Gigem_94
AG
Is it really that difficult to understand basic human nature which should explain why these programs won't work?
Love Gun
A friend of mine works at a Walmart distribution center up north. He said that they plastered all kinds of gay and inclusive-related crap around the facility during 'pride' month. He said that this older, very Christian lady got fed up with it after a couple of weeks, and marched right into HR. She said "What's with all this gay crap posted everywhere?" They told her it is to recognize and support pride month. She said that she's a Christian and that she doesn't believe in that lifestyle. She said "You're trying so hard not to offend these people, but what happens when I'M offended?" They said they would look into it.

The next day, the theme around the workplace changed, and they moved onto another minority group to recognize.

This is the way.
**** Joe Biden
DallasAg 94
Gaius Julius Bevo
Pookers said:

Gaius Julius Bevo said:

High tech seems to hate Asian men. It's ironic because there's so many of us in engineering and research.
AGHouston11
AG
This is ironically pushed by other countries on us too BECAUSE they know it's not beneficial!

China isn't worried about what diversity they have on there project!

It's not a strength it's discrimination
96AgGrad
AG
You mean focusing on differences we can't control instead of the values we have in common is detrimental to an organization?

If only we had thousands of examples of monolithic companies being incredibly successful prior to "diversity."
Pookers
AG
Gaius Julius Bevo said:

Pookers said:

Gaius Julius Bevo said:

High tech seems to hate Asian men. It's ironic because there's so many of us in engineering and research.

DEI is nothing more than a marxist demoralization campaign.
twk
AG
Here's a link to the article not behind a paywall: https://dnyuz.com/2023/01/17/diversity-trainings-try-to-change-hearts-and-minds-thats-a-mistake/

I'm shocked that struggle sessions didn't work, either.

Trajan88
AG
And if one attends these meetings/trainings live or on video chat... who's going to ask questions, seek clarification, object?

No one would do that else one would be called out, put on a list for "reeducation."

And if refuse ... prob. get fired within days.
BlueSmoke
Gaius Julius Bevo said:

Pookers said:

Gaius Julius Bevo said:

You mean a demographic trained from an early age to work hard, not make excuses, and often hail from families that they themselves had to flee oppressive, controlling regimes? Weird, right?
Nobody cares. Work Harder
CDUB98
AG
Quote:

person who evaluates people by their work and their character or you are not.

You didn't get the DEI memo. Think the above is racist. Please report to room 4, sublevel 5, basement within the hour.
APHIS AG
Squadron7 said:

It's not about training.

It is about an income stream for the DEI industry.

And a check by the block of a company that wants to be seen as supporting "equality".

It is a PR move, helps in obtaining government contracts, and appeases the "woke" liberals.
AggieMD95
AG
Confirming our common sense intuition
AggieMD95
AG
BlueSmoke said:

DEI teams are a self-licking ice cream cone. They've carved out a spot for themselves and convinced everyone that they are integral.

Lmao
Frag
AG
DEI needs to DIE.
Whirligigs
There is nothing more counter productive and waste of capital than 'corporate training' outside of revenue generating skills. It's a company, it isn't a family. Go make money or gtfo. If you need a family then go home.

Fortunately all the checkbox positions are getting let go - just go look at typical LinkedIn feeds.
Noblemen06
AG
As a commander in the Air Force, I focused on promoting teamwork, the merits of doing your best, creating developmental opportunities for everyone, being open to trying most any idea from anyone with the initiative to propose one just to see if it works or doesn't, and recognizing the hardest workers and highest contributors.

We didn't hold a single equal opportunity brief/training or similar DEI-type brow beating (even though "big AF" has their programs...)...and in a year our unit climate assessment went from abysmal (under the previous regime, who were fired) to ridiculously good. The metrics from the assessment had nearly zero indicators of race or gender-based discriminatory feelings, racial harassment, or gender-based harassment from across the unit. This is in a knuckle-dragging blue collar type of unit that was a total $#*% show for these assessment areas in the year prior (94% of the unit reported some sort of discriminatory/harassing behavior the year prior).

Promoting merit and teamwork in a workplace is far better than preaching about victimhood and what makes us different, coupled with the social engineering that comes with DEI programs.
TAMU1990
AG
BlueSmoke said:

Nothing that a good recession wouldn't fix. This fluff would be the first stuff to go.
FCBlitz
If????

It is. There is no maybe about it. This focus and hyper awareness just divides a work force.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.