They are coming for your gas appliances next...

9,355 Views | 109 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by twk
TexAgs91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Nomenclature said:

When is enough enough...at what point do people say no more.
My vote was for 2 years ago because everything that's happened since then was just the inevitable fallout. After two more years of the government 'peacefully' attacking its citizens and the dems steal the election in 2024 we'll still be standing around the water cooler wondering when is enough going to be enough.
Fight! Fight! Fight!
javajaws
AG
American Hardwood said:

The light bulb fiasco is very much like the EV push. Huge push to make everyone use compact fluorescent to save the environment yet the manufacturing and disposal of those things was an environmental travesty compared to incandescent bulbs. Thankfully LED's came along and at least gave us considerably longer lifespan than SF's.
That's being overly optimistic. The LED ones fail regularly, regardless of brand. It's almost like they were engineered to fail within a certain time period...
DallasAg 94
YouBet
AG
javajaws said:

This won't be decided until they find out how many Democrats use gas stoves.

Seriously though - everything the gov touches turns to poo. Remember incandescent lightbulbs? Yeah, those things that would cost $.25 and last for years? Only to be replaced by $3-5 bulbs with all those electronics built in that mysteriously fail every year? Yeah, that's saving the environment a whole lot there!
We already know because wait for it....

Quote:

Last month, Democrat lawmakers, including Senator Cory Booker of New Jersey and Representative Don Beyer of Virginia, requested that the CPSC take action against gas stove emissions, stating that the appliances were a "cumulative burden" that disproportionately impacts minority and low-income households.
Yet another issue where blacks are disproportionately impacted.

Democrats everywhere: we must coddle blacks on literally everything because they are too stupid to remember how to breath and too weak to do anything for themselves. How in the world could you vote Democrat knowing what they think about you?
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Don't really have a leg in the incandescent vs LED debate, but wasn't the biggest thing in the switch the massive decrease in heat loads required when sizing AC equipment? I thought it still ended up being more energy efficient when looking at the full building load.
TexasRebel
AG
Eh. I've cooked over wood fires before.
Manhattan
NEC has adopted or is soon adopting changes so you can have a smaller electrical service on buildings. 3 VA per square foot is done.
not hedge
You know when the freeze in 2021 came through the only appliance I could use was my gas stove which allowed me to cook and make meals during those wretched days. If I had electric I would have never been able to eat let alone generate heat
frenchtoast
I imagine the pushback from the restaurant industry would be huge if it ever got that far. That wouldn't stop them from coming after individual homeowners, though.

We are looking to buy a house in the next two years or so, and a gas stove has always been near the top of my list of must-haves. Ever since Seattle banned gas in new construction, I started to rethink that and look more into induction. I'd hate to spend the money for a nice gas stove only for it to be useless in a few years.
sleepybeagle
AG
javajaws said:

American Hardwood said:

The light bulb fiasco is very much like the EV push. Huge push to make everyone use compact fluorescent to save the environment yet the manufacturing and disposal of those things was an environmental travesty compared to incandescent bulbs. Thankfully LED's came along and at least gave us considerably longer lifespan than SF's.
That's being overly optimistic. The LED ones fail regularly, regardless of brand. It's almost like they were engineered to fail within a certain time period...
This. They are designed to fail. So much for the environment.
Manhattan
get a whole home surge protector.
YouBet
AG
not hedge said:

You know when the freeze in 2021 came through the only appliance I could use was my gas stove which allowed me to cook and make meals during those wretched days. If I had electric I would have never been able to eat let alone generate heat
Yep, but some mythical, long-term environmental impact is much important than humans staying alive right now in power outages.
American Hardwood
AG
sleepybeagle said:

javajaws said:

American Hardwood said:

This. They are designed to fail. So much for the environment.
No doubt, but they are still way better than CF's. Not only were CF's environmentally 'dirty' they looked like crap too almost immediately (particularly talking about self-ballasted which is what you mostly bought at the grocery store).

LED's at least are consistent until they fail. CF's degrade every day starting from day 1. So even if they technically last 5 years, their light output is awful after two.

Also, buy better LED's.
Moon Shadow
This topic reminds me of my late 1970's military tour in Turkey. Daily electrical stoppages & no heat, wife went to visit neighbors, they had their gas stove's oven on (with the door open) heating their apartment.
Enviroag02
AG
Crested Butte, CO banned new natural gas hookups and when it came time to design a new fire station the engineers figured out they couldn't heat their bays with electricity so the new fire station is gonna have to be built outside the city limits….in the interest of public safety of course. Effing idiots
BurntOrangeIsBeautiful
American Hardwood said:

Quote:

A federal agency will weigh plans to regulate and even ban natural gas stoves in the U.S., a top official said, over research showing a link between harmful air pollutants and the popular household appliances.

U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commissioner Richard Trumka Jr. said in an interview published Monday his agency plans to take action to address the pollutants, which have been linked to asthma and other respiratory issues.

Quote:

"Any option is on the table," he told Bloomberg, describing the pollutants as a "hidden hazard."
"Products that can't be made safe can be banned," he said.
The agency has already issued a request for information seeking public data on hazards associated with the natural gas stoves and input for proposed solutions, a spokesperson for the agency told the Washington Examiner.
Quote:

Trumka called the ban on new gas stoves a "real possibility," and said that given enough public pressure, the agency "could get a regulation on the books before this time next year."
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/energy-environment/agency-to-consider-federal-ban-of-gas-stoves-over-health-hazards

This blanket statement can be pretty much used to ban anything. Just cook up a way that it can be used unsafely and ban away.

Clearly the objective is to eliminate all fuel alternatives for consumers other than electricity. Since naturalgas is a 'clean' fuel, this is the angle they are taking. It is unsafe to use.

You still mad "they" came for our asbestos, too?
GAC06
AG
Asbestos hurt people. HTH
zoneag
Comparing natural gas to asbestos? Holy **** you are, ummm, special. Though your username gives that away.
YouBet
AG
BurntOrangeIsBeautiful said:

American Hardwood said:

Quote:

A federal agency will weigh plans to regulate and even ban natural gas stoves in the U.S., a top official said, over research showing a link between harmful air pollutants and the popular household appliances.

U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commissioner Richard Trumka Jr. said in an interview published Monday his agency plans to take action to address the pollutants, which have been linked to asthma and other respiratory issues.

Quote:

"Any option is on the table," he told Bloomberg, describing the pollutants as a "hidden hazard."
"Products that can't be made safe can be banned," he said.
The agency has already issued a request for information seeking public data on hazards associated with the natural gas stoves and input for proposed solutions, a spokesperson for the agency told the Washington Examiner.
Quote:

Trumka called the ban on new gas stoves a "real possibility," and said that given enough public pressure, the agency "could get a regulation on the books before this time next year."
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/energy-environment/agency-to-consider-federal-ban-of-gas-stoves-over-health-hazards

This blanket statement can be pretty much used to ban anything. Just cook up a way that it can be used unsafely and ban away.

Clearly the objective is to eliminate all fuel alternatives for consumers other than electricity. Since naturalgas is a 'clean' fuel, this is the angle they are taking. It is unsafe to use.

You still mad "they" came for our asbestos, too?

Hello clown.
The Fife
They can go and **** themselves with their ban. I had no idea how much better natural gas cooking is then electric until I make the switch and I'm never going back. Same for the gas powered tankless water heater I put in a couple of years ago
C@LAg
The Fife said:

They can go and **** themselves with their ban. I had no idea how much better natural gas cooking is then electric until I make the switch and I'm never going back. Same for the gas powered tankless water heater I put in a couple of years ago
you will suffer and be grateful of that suffering, peasant.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
Come and ****ing take it.

Electric stoves cook like ***** You can't toss veg without losing heat. You can't properly sear on electric.

Electric heat is inefficient.

Take my gas from my cold dead hands.
C@LAg
Esteban du Plantier said:

Take my gas from my cold dead hands.
why? it will disperse itself with no effort on my part.
Buck Turgidson
I'm sure natural gas is somehow racist.

I'll bet these *******s would like to ban our generacs while they're at it. Can't have people coping during an emergency (especially a fake one created by the government).
FCBlitz
Exactly who are the 10's of people applying pressure on lawmakers to ban gas stoves?

I will already put up a fight if the government tries to take away my guns……but look the FO if the government tries to take my gas stove away.
PCC_80
AG
This would kill the restaurant industry. Electric just does not work for restaurants.
The Fife
C@LAg said:

The Fife said:

you will suffer and be grateful of that suffering, peasant.

Secolobo
AG
It's not about health and efficiency, it's about racism.

Biden Admin Considering Ban on Gas Stoves: Feds say Gas Stoves Racist & Hurt Minorities!

Need to change the title of the thread to Racist Fossil Fuels.
fka ftc
Asbestos is only dangerous when you chopped it up and little pieces and repeatedly breathe it in. And it was used in a lot of products where an alternate is preferable (like tiles that one day will be replaced and the demo process causes issues).

Follow the money to understand why asbestos became big evil bad thing.
"The absence of the word accountability is not the same as wanting no accountability" -unknown

"You can never go wrong by staying silent if there is nothing apt to say" -Walter Isaacson
American Hardwood
AG
fka ftc said:

Asbestos is only dangerous when you chopped it up and little pieces and repeatedly breathe it in. And it was used in a lot of products where an alternate is preferable (like tiles that one day will be replaced and the demo process causes issues).

Follow the money to understand why asbestos became big evil bad thing.
This is exactly right. Asbestos is a fantastic material for what it is used for and a great deal of asbestos is non-friable yet is treated no differently than the tiles you mentioned. It is all about money for lawyers and creating cottage industries.

So to the clown who brought this up, yeah I'm not particularly happy about what has been done regarding asbestos. Plus, you sound like an ignorant idiot.
Science Denier
AG
When the grid totally failed for 50+ hours, it was nice having a gas stove.
LOL OLD
fka ftc
Remove your last two words as it may bring an edit or bamhammer for an ad hom. Though others may agree with the sentiment.
"The absence of the word accountability is not the same as wanting no accountability" -unknown

"You can never go wrong by staying silent if there is nothing apt to say" -Walter Isaacson
fka ftc
Science Denier said:

Quick fact check that the grid operated as intended - it did not fail. Generation failed to meet demand and demand had to be turned off.

Saying the grid needs to be fixed is like buying a new water hose but not paying your water bill.

Science Denier
AG
fka ftc said:

Science Denier said:

Quick fact check that the grid operated as intended - it did not fail. Generation failed to meet demand and demand had to be turned off.

Saying the grid needs to be fixed is like buying a new water hose but not paying your water bill.
Semantics. Folks were out of power for over 50 hours. Would not have happened if 25% of the power comes from useless wind/solar, that produced about zero KW's during that crisis. So, you are right. Generation is what needs to be fixed, not necessarily specifically the "grid".

Banning gas operated stoves and heaters and making everything electric and doing away with natural gas is not going to make our situation any better. It's just flat stupid.

I don't care if it's a grid problem, a generation problem or what "technically" is the right terminology. Power outages when it's ****ing 10 degrees outside suck. But, when it happens, it was nice to have a gas stove so we could cook inside.
LOL OLD
TexasAggie_97
AG
What I don't understand is I am hearing these gas stoves might impact kids with asthma and that is at least a reason for doing away with them. If that's true then why not also outlaw smoking since that also impacts people with asthma? Smoking can impact kids in the home or in the car while gas stoves should "only" impact kids when at home and they are not used nearly as often as people smoking. I know it's really just a ploy to get off of fossil fuels but if anybody cannot see through their BS then they should not be able to vote anymore.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.