is this a good shoot?

11,071 Views | 129 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Ogre09
Esteban du Plantier
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BMX Bandit said:

TAMU1990 said:

This is in a sketchy part of town - .

That strip mall has all you need though!

Taqueria
Check cashing
Nail salon
Auto title
Tattoos
Pawn shop

All you need is a church across the street and several multimillion dollar homes a block away and this is perfect Houston.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

Bubblez said:

The last shots, especially to the head was completely unjustified as there was no reasonable threat at that time. The shooter. should be prosecuted..

Get outta here Keith.

The shooter should get a medal.
For all we know that shooter runs a meth lab and the cops when they saw the video went 'holy crap! That's Heisenberg!'
Tom Doniphon
It's like running over a rattle snake and then putting the truck in reverse just to be sure.
Who?mikejones!
The he gets a medal and then jail, but for the meth, not the shooting
Not a Bot
AG
Branca live. He's in agreement that initial shots were reasonable defense but last shots were unnecessary. If they find the guy he's probably going to be charged with murder.
Tom Doniphon
Appears his attorney has reached out to HPD

https://www.khou.com/article/news/crime/taqueria-shooter-houston-police-talk/285-789f268b-531c-4211-abd4-451ca0a03a1e?fbclid=IwAR2xNehqBQ7n9CZItqT6zma_i3cPl9InNpqgfcDdUlv-q64kKGjEVzngAEg&mibextid=Zxz2cZ
Who?mikejones!
Quote:

One of the reasons that law enforcement is seeking out this individual is to find out whether he was in fear for his life or the lives of the people around him because that's absolutely essential to a self-defense claim under the law," Roe said. "If you're justified in shooting the first bullet, you're justified in continuing to shoot until the deadly threat is no longer there.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Private PoopyPants said:

Branca live. He's in agreement that initial shots were reasonable defense but last shots were unnecessary. If they find the guy he's probably going to be charged with murder.

How do you murder someone that is dead?
nomad2007
AG
Last shot after he had already tossed the gun to the side is gonna be super difficult to defend in court.
Bondag
AG
nomad2007 said:

Last shot after he had already tossed the gun to the side is gonna be super difficult to defend in court.

What is the charge? Defacing a dead body? Shooting a corpse?
nomad2007
AG
Bondag said:

nomad2007 said:

What is the charge? Defacing a dead body? Shooting a corpse?
The intent of that shot was very clear. If he's indicted, which probably isn't likely, he'll have to defend that shot in the light of self defense. I don't think, "I knew he was dead, and no longer a threat, but I shot his dead corpse for fun cause I had one more round in my magazine," will fly.
eric76
AG
nomad2007 said:

If the criminal was already dead by the time of the last shot, then it wouldn't issues over the last shot be moot?

While there have been people who survived being shot a number of times, it doesn't seem very likely to be the case here.

I guess you could try to make a case that if you hurried the death at all, then it is murder like in the shooting a man falling from a great height and killing him before he hits the ground a second later.

If one or more of the first eight shots may have been immediately fatal, could a competent medical examiner even determine that he was still alive after the first eight shots and that it was the ninth shot that killed him?
Not a Bot
AG
If a prosecutor really wants to get this guy then it won't matter whether he was already dead at the final shot. We've seen cases where the initial medical examiner's report was changed.

The thing that helps the shooter more than anything right now is the lack of protesting and rioting in the streets.
eric76
AG
He has come forward and talked to the district attorney.

From https://abcnews.go.com/US/customer-fatally-shot-robber-houston-taqueria-wanted-questioning/story?id=96294463
Quote:

The 46-year-old customer was questioned by Houston police homicide detectives on Monday, the Houston Police Department said in a statement.

"After consulting with the Harris County District Attorney's Office, it was determined the shooting will be referred to a grand jury," the statement reads. "Since the male is not arrested or charged, his identity is not being released."

Don't be alarmed by the referral to the grand jury. If I understand it correctly, pretty much every homicide in Texas goes to a grand jury with the grand jury no-billing those that they think were justified. In many cases, I think that the prosecutors ask the grand jury for a no-bill. Is this correct?
nomad2007
AG
eric76 said:

nomad2007 said:

If the criminal was already dead by the time of the last shot, then it wouldn't issues over the last shot be moot?

While there have been people who survived being shot a number of times, it doesn't seem very likely to be the case here.

I guess you could try to make a case that if you hurried the death at all, then it is murder like in the shooting a man falling from a great height and killing him before he hits the ground a second later.

If one or more of the first eight shots may have been immediately fatal, could a competent medical examiner even determine that he was still alive after the first eight shots and that it was the ninth shot that killed him?
I suppose it would be the intent of final shot.

If the gentlemen thought he was already dead, why did he shoot?

It's very difficult to argue that the intent behind a coup de grace to the head of a downed man was anything other than an attempt to ensure he was dead. And because he had already felt comfortable enough to knock the weapon away from him... what possible threat was he?
nomad2007
AG
eric76 said:

He has come forward and talked to the district attorney.

From https://abcnews.go.com/US/customer-fatally-shot-robber-houston-taqueria-wanted-questioning/story?id=96294463
Quote:

The 46-year-old customer was questioned by Houston police homicide detectives on Monday, the Houston Police Department said in a statement.

"After consulting with the Harris County District Attorney's Office, it was determined the shooting will be referred to a grand jury," the statement reads. "Since the male is not arrested or charged, his identity is not being released."

Don't be alarmed by the referral to the grand jury. If I understand it correctly, pretty much every homicide in Texas goes to a grand jury with the grand jury no-billing those that they think were justified. In many cases, I think that the prosecutors ask the grand jury for a no-bill. Is this correct?
As a silly aside:

Holy ****, that dude is only 46?!

46 year old dude that looks 60 and is driving an ancient ass pickup..... robber picked the wrong place to rob. That guy was guaranteed to be packing.
FIDO*98*
AG
Quote:

Records show Washington had an extensive criminal history and was out on bond during the would-be robbery.

Records show that in 2015, Washington was convicted on a lesser charge of aggravated robbery with a deadly weapon and sentenced to 15 years in prison in connection to the shooting death of 62-year-old Hamid Waraich, a cell phone store owner. Houston police also charged two other men.

According to records, Washington was released on parole in 2021 and charged with assaulting his girlfriend in December 2022.

Waraich had a fiance and three sons who reacted strongly when contacted by ABC13.

"If the guy who sopped Eric was around 10 years ago, maybe I'd still have my dad," Aman Waraich, the son of the store clerk that was killed, said.

"Eric was an evil criminal that took joy in harassing and robbing innocent families. The individual at the taqueria is a true hero!" Sean Waraich, the victim's other son, added. "He did the right thing in stopping the robber and in protecting the community from a dangerous perpetrator."
Dad
AG
I know when we watch the video we feel that the man is no longer a threat but I imagine if that is the first time you've been robbed by an armed robber and the first time you ever shot a person that your perception of what is a threat could be all messed up.

I feel like if I ever have to shoot someone I'm probably firing at least half a dozen times minimum if I am able to because of fear. Imagine being that afraid and then you see movement and shoot again before you have time to assess the situation.
FCBlitz
Dude was instantly rehabilitated.
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

I feel like if I ever have to shoot someone I'm probably firing at least half a dozen times minimum if I am able to because of fear.

How many times have we read of cops who are trained and educated on use of force. who empty 15 round magazines into people? In a charges situation like that adrenalin takes over, and you may not realize what you're doing.
Krombopulos Michael
Grand jury will decide fate of 'hero' customer who shot and killed robber at taqueria, HPD says

A grand jury will decide whether an armed taqueria customer, who shot and killed a robber last week in southwest Houston and is now being hailed a hero, will be criminally charged.

Investigators said the 46-year-old customer, who police have not identified because he's not under arrest, turned himself in and is cooperating with detectives.

https://abc13.com/houston-taqueria-shooting-customer-shoots-robber-eric-eugene-washington-killed-suspect-death/12681554/
ProgN
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11619415/PICTURED-Robber-30-armed-fake-gun-killed-Houston-restaurant-vigilante-Criminal-bond-assault-grand-jury-decide-hero-customer-46-protected-shooting-face-charges.html
Quote:

A Texas grand jury will decide whether or not criminal charges should be brought against a customer who shot and killed a robber in a Houston taqueria last week.

Eric Eugene Washington, 30, died after being shot nine times - with one bullet hitting him execution-style in the head - by a vigilante customer who was said to be 'protecting everyone' in the Texas restaurant.

It can now be revealed that Washington had a lengthy rap sheet, that most recently included domestic violence and aggravated battery. He was also out on parole for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.
Quote:

Court documents also confirmed that Washington was released on parole in 2021 for a conviction of aggravated robbery with a deadly weapon, for which he had been sentenced to 15 years behind bars.
Dimebag Darrell
nomad2007 said:

Yep, this was ill advised. Cringed when I saw that. I still couldn't convict him, but if he gets convicted, that's what did it.
IDaggie06
AG
The police and media should not be blasting this guys face and vehicle all over the news unless he is facing charges. If they just want to question him, then they should find him on their own. This is clearly not the type of guy that wants publicity and he could also face retaliation from the robbers friends/family with his picture everywhere.
Ogre09
AG
IndividualFreedom said:

"I heard him say he was going to kill me and I feared for my life"
In Texas you don't have to be in fear for your own life to use deadly force.

Sec. 9.42. DEADLY FORCE TO PROTECT PROPERTY. A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property:
(1) if he would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.41; and
(2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:
(A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; or
(B) to prevent the other who is fleeing immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the property; and
(3) he reasonably believes that:
(A) the land or property cannot be protected or recovered by any other means; or
(B) the use of force other than deadly force to protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.