Are we at the "OxyContin is perfectly safe for long term use for moderate pain" stage

4,932 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by VaultingChemist
Rapier108
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Zobel said:

Yeah, I think the benefit outweighs the harm. Maybe along the lines of the annual flu shot or varicella, but still. Not a lot of kids dying from those either, but at the population level the vaccines are a positive.
WTF?

Kids do not die from the WuFlu (don't bring up very rare, random cases; which also happen with numerous diseases), but they are being injured and dying from heart problems caused by the Fauci juice, nor does it protect from infection or transmission so there is no "population level" benefit either.

Comparing the Fauci juice to the flu shot, which has been around for 50+ years and has been improved and refined during that time, or the chicken pox vaccine which went through the standard vaccine development and testing protocols before being made available to the public, says either you're being intentionally disingenuous, or you have an agenda in promoting the shots.

Either you are one of the Branch Covidians who are so terrified of the virus that you want to force needles into everyone's arms so you can feel safe, or you're bought and paid for, by either Pfizer or the US government, to shrill from the worthless shots 24/7.
Zobel
AG
Rare, random cases probably also how you could call most of the deaths from measles, chicken pox, and flu in kids. Yet they still happen, and there is still a disease burden at the population level. Hence the vaccines are administered.

As I've said multiple times - and given multiple sources for - they do reduce transmission, provide protection against infection, severe disease, and death.

Ditch the ad hominems and insults and provide some sources or stop wasting time.
Kvetch
AG
Zobel said:

No, and there are some really interesting things to read about the 6' thing and the lockdown stuff.

Goof up with old research leading to six foot rule
https://www.wired.com/story/the-teeny-tiny-scientific-screwup-that-helped-covid-kill/amp

And lockdowns
https://astralcodexten.substack.com/p/lockdown-effectiveness-much-more

Well at least you don't have the impulse to tyranny that many in your mindset have exhibited. I appreciate that you try to cite studies and stay data driven. However, as someone who works a job that relies on data analysis, it's undeniable that the quality of the data is what matters. Hence why 10 different people can run the same study and come to 10 different conclusions based on differences in data inputs collected from the same population. In other words, garbage in garbage out regardless of how well the study is designed. And most people feel, I think with good reason, that the quality of data is suspect at best. Your approach is purely from a public health perspective and places complete faith in institutions that have shown themselves to be untrustworthy over the entirety of this COVID situation. It denies agency to individuals that are more than capable of making their own risk assessments.

To take the kid example, it is just not supported that vaccinating every healthy 10 year old would be a benefit to society, especially when it is now well known that the vaccines do not prevent transmission. At BEST, it's a negligible/neutral impact. Advocating the position that 10 year olds SHOULD be vaccinated versus stating "here is the data and here is the risk/reward, make your own decision based on your individual circumstance" is why people don't believe the data at the end of the day.

The people presenting the data have completely destroyed their credibility by presenting their analysis of data as the gospel truth. Don't confuse data and people's interpretation of data. Acting as if having a study is validation that you're absolutely 100% making the right decision is a foolish materialist trap.
Zobel
AG
Agree, garbage in garbage out. Don't you notice the massive level of quality difference in that regard between the tripe frequently posted here and the stuff that is in the NEJM or nature or science?

If it's just not supported, then show it. What are you basing that opinion on? Anecdotes? Forum posts? Because I guarantee you that is not what the FDA is using. Again, GIGO.

I'm not saying anyone should or shouldn't be vaccinated. Do whatever you want or think is best for you and yours. But you didn't ask me that, you asked about risk and benefit. Those are different questions. It seems like my argument is exactly the one you're asking for, no?

I don't have unlimited trust in agencies or politicians. That's why I haven't been saying things like if the fda or cdc say it's ok, it probably is. Even though that's probably a lot better heuristic for medical decisions than the opposite, for what it's worth. Look at publications from around the globe, from many different countries and universities and scientists, then do your best to make a good judgment. If you don't have the ability to do that, find someone you trust who can. That's the approach I'm advocating, not blindly doing whatver <insert politician or agency here> says.
TheCurl84
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

If you truly care do some research instead of demanding people do the work for you

Come on Mookie. This is the role Texags plays in our universe.
Kvetch
AG
I'm not necessarily trying to antagonize you or cast you as representative of all the evils that have occurred the past few years. I think that there a lot of merit to what you're saying. My position is more that these institutions that you're trusting for your data are just not trustworthy, and my proof is that they've been wrong at every step of this pandemic. They were wrong about masking recommendations, they were wrong about lockdowns, they were wrong about the efficacy of the vaccines, and they chose to convey false information to the American people. And that extends beyond just US agencies. My proof is not one post on this form or an amalgam of random anecdotes, it's the fact that I've lived and watched these last 3 years.

If you want counter evidence to your studies, you can pull the research that the state of Florida based their recommendations on when they advised against vaccinating young males. There's plenty of studies out there that counter the narrative painted by the studies you cite. But I don't need to bring those into the conversation because sending appeals to authority back and forth and saying "my studies are better than your studies" is a waste of time. The point here is that the reason people on this board are adamantly against all the things you post on this topic is because they have no faith in the institutions that you're relying on, and rightfully so. We live in a day and age where medical journals are validating trans identities and government agencies talk about "birthing people." These institutions have destroyed their own credibility.

Maybe you're right about the data. Who knows. I think you're a overzealous with the "all ages" belief, but I also believe that the vaccines have value for at-risk populations. But none of that matters when we've created a political situation where nobody cares about what the studies show because they've been lied to over and over. You're never going to cite a study that's going to change a single mind here. You're better off framing your arguments on a personal level rather than a macro level.
Zobel
AG
Yeah, the problem is there is a media filter between scientific papers and most people, and it's a really inaccurate lens. I watched it happen over and over, media says one thing, paper says something else. Sometimes it's a partial or cherry picked report, sometimes the claim is stronger than the paper, sometimes it's completely wrong or confused. That's why I started just reading them directly. Have the stuff you hear is just nonsense. There's also a lot of "they" lumped together into one "they". One group may have been wrong about one or more of those things, another group may have been wrong about none. There were as many lockdown solutions as countries or states, all different, all varying degrees of "work," and then a couple dozen studies of what happened. The bottom line is the reality is much more complicated than what you're showing here.

Once you start to pay attention to the research, you start to see trends of reporting. Nexuses of certain people that pop up again and again, or certain reporters, or institutions or groups. I remember seeing one author from a paper publish an op Ed on his own paper, but not mentioning that he was involved - attributed the paper to a different author. Complete conflict of interest and complete bias. Then that paper referred to another of uis papers with a different group. It was a giant circle jerk But if you didn't read the paper carefully you'd never know. That's one thing about the new anti COVID vaxxers - it's like the Kevin bacon game with old school anti vaxxers using the exact same bad science and bad talking points. One degree of separation.

Take that Florida recommendation. It is an example of a really weak study that would not have made it to any decent journal as is. Here's a good thread dealing with some of it.

And here's another

Perhaps most interestingly, bottom line is this from Meyerowitz-Katz: "if we take the results at face value, ignoring the other potential explanations, it seems important to note that vaccines were associated with fewer all-cause and non-cardiac deaths based on the data within the study. In other words, a different press release could've noted "COVID-19 VACCINES ASSOCIATED WITH REDUCED RISK OF DEATH AND NON-CARDIAC DEATH IN YOUNG PEOPLE" and been just as accurate."

In the end my studies are better than your studies is NOT a waste of time! That is 10000000% where the discussion needs to be. It's where these things happen. You get a ton of different work thrown into a big sloshing mess, people argue and fight ("professionally" and sometimes not) and over time the good is sifted from the bad. The frauds and liars and grifters get drowned out from the good studies, and over time you get meta analyses and good reviews and an "answer". Normally this happens out of the awareness of the general public because nobody cares. Here everyone is all in the business, and there's a ton more research happening than normal, and faster, and money flying everywhere so literally everyone is publishing regardless of whether they have any competence. It's been awesome, a total **** show. Now everyone sees the glorious mess happening at 100x speed. It's kinda like capitalism in that it's a chaotic mess but it works better than anything else we have.

Quote:

But none of that matters when we've created a political situation where nobody cares about what the studies show because they've been lied to over and over. You're never going to cite a study that's going to change a single mind here.
if that's true, that's damning. If college educated people can't be bothered or expected to engage their brains, then the people who advocate for a top-down approach to discussions like this are right. If people can't be involved enough to make informed decisions off of the best data available - and during COVID things that normally were NOT available were opened - then the idea that we should just listen to experts is probably true. Because what is everyone else going by? You're saying… personal arguments? Feels? That's a really bad way to do just about anything but especially medicine. I hope for better. I actually don't agree with you, I think many people can engage with the facts, and are competent enough to do so. If they won't then it's lost - not just for this but for any political, economic, or scientific topic.
Old Army Ghost
Old Army has gone to hell.
VaultingChemist
AG
Fauci and the CDC destroyed all my trust in their organization when they advocated for vaccinating those who had previously been infected, inferring natural immunity was inferior to vaccine-induced "immunity".

I doubt they can ever earn it back.
Once you've lied to me, I won't believe anything else you say or cite.
Al Bula
AG
Zobel said:

Perhaps most interestingly, bottom line is this from Meyerowitz-Katz: "if we take the results at face value, ignoring the other potential explanations, it seems important to note that vaccines were associated with fewer all-cause and non-cardiac deaths based on the data within the study. In other words, a different press release could've noted "COVID-19 VACCINES ASSOCIATED WITH REDUCED RISK OF DEATH AND NON-CARDIAC DEATH IN YOUNG PEOPLE" and been just as accurate."
no one cares about this pilpulistic garbage.
eric76
AG
VaultingChemist said:

Fauci and the CDC destroyed all my trust in their organization when they advocated for vaccinating those who had previously been infected, inferring natural immunity was inferior to vaccine-induced "immunity".

I doubt they can ever earn it back.
Once you've lied to me, I won't believe anything else you say or cite.
Some diseases provide better immunity than the vaccine. Some vaccines provide better immunity than the disease.

I would guess that having the disease generally provides the better immunity, but I wouldn't bet on that guess.
VaultingChemist
AG
Quote:

I would guess that having the disease generally provides the better immunity, but I wouldn't bet on that guess.
Fauci called natural immunity the "gold standard", until Covid-19……….
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.