Rural Americans are the most under represented in congress

4,995 Views | 69 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by kb2001
The Debt
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SunrayAg said:

BrazosDog02 said:

Farmers and ranchers are not the same as rural
America. They are usually rural, yes, but they are not always the same. Rural America is often poor, likes free stuff, supports minimum wage raises, and everything democrats like. It's a beautiful addition because there is a lot of them. Farmers and ranchers are different. We have multiple streams of income, may take big losses on ag, want small government and things that support self employment and self regulation. We generally vote Republican.

Like what was already posted, the left wants to kill the right and rural America is a good way to help do that. They are in our area. It's how you kill the ag part.
Wow. Just wow.

Having spent the last 30 years in small towns and rural areas, you just described exactly zero people I have ever met.

I'm in a rural place that votes 90% GOP. But at least 1/3rd of the community are on Lone Star cards. I wouldn't be surprised if they were getting subsidized in other means too.
AggieKatie2
AG
zephyr88 said:

Rural Americans are typically the ones who really don't want government intervening in their livelihoods. This isn't exactly a bad thing. I've never met a farmer or a rancher who wanted 'more government'.

Unless it's a subsidy
not hedge
Simply untrue melodrama
Gunny456
AG
I disagree. I spend a lot of time in the very rural parts of Missouri, Arkansas, Kansas, Oklahoma.... small little towns or outside of them. They may not have much and live in small old homes and drive old trucks and cars.... but they have pride, work hard, like hunting, fishing, go to church every Sunday and the election results usually have the rural counties in those areas dominate the republican ticket.
Gunny456
Gunny456
AG
This. Same here.
Gunny456
AG
I have ranched for around 30 years... my grandfather before me. All my neighbors the same. I know of none of us getting any subsidies.
But I do know who does.... electric car manufacturers, solar and wind companies.
AggieKatie2
AG
Gunny456 said:

I have ranched for around 30 years... my grandfather before me. All my neighbors the same. I know of none of us getting any subsidies.
But I do know who does.... electric car manufacturers, solar and wind companies.

From experience, your crop grower buddies in IL don't seem to share your sentiments.
Gunny456
AG
I don't have crop grower buddies in Illinois. I'm a rancher not a sodbuster

And I'm sure the fuel tax, property tax, income tax, personal property tax, sales tax they pay exceeds the subsidies maybe?
not hedge
Really cause trump gave them billions

https://www.ewg.org/interactive-maps/2021-farm-subsidies-ballooned-under-trump/
Gunny456
AG
Well heck man. Go get you some land, tractors, equipment, and get to planting and get rich! Nothing to it.
SunrayAg
AG
not hedge said:

Farming itself is a primitive skill, I don't doubt highly intelligent doctors, engineers, etc… could learn and teach others how to farm.
Laughable.

But keep believing it, if it keeps your belly full.

Oh, wait, it's the 2% who understand agriculture that keep your belly full.
cevans_40
AG
not hedge said:

Farming itself is a primitive skill, I don't doubt highly intelligent doctors, engineers, etc… could learn and teach others how to farm.

The epitome of clueless and arrogant.
not hedge
Was it not developed by primitive groups such as the native Americas where they had zero technology?
agracer
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

Farmers and ranchers are not the same as rural
America. They are usually rural, yes, but they are not always the same. Rural America is often poor, likes free stuff, supports minimum wage raises, and everything democrats like. It's a beautiful addition because there is a lot of them. Farmers and ranchers are different. We have multiple streams of income, may take big losses on ag, want small government and things that support self employment and self regulation. We generally vote Republican.

Like what was already posted, the left wants to kill the right and rural America is a good way to help do that. They are in our area. It's how you kill the ag part.
Tell me you haven't looked at a congressional election map without telling me you haven't looked at a congressional election map.

Rural Americans vote overwhelmingly red.
"In no other profession are there so many smug, arrogant people with so little justification for being arrogant as there are in journalism."Jack Kelly, former Marine and Green Beret, Washington Times, April 13.

FREEDOM AINT FREE posted 11:55a, 3/10/11 on the GB: "Aren't you a liberal? I don't think anyone will ever accuse you of loving this country."
tmaggies
AG
Brazos with that thinking you must live in a high rise in one of our big cities!
APHIS AG
zephyr88 said:

Rural Americans are typically the ones who really don't want government intervening in their livelihoods. This isn't exactly a bad thing. I've never met a farmer or a rancher who wanted 'more government'.
They can ignore it only for so long it but like a flood, it will eventually slowly creep in and take your rights and your way of life,
AggieCo2023
Is this a joke? It's literally the opposite
itsyourboypookie
not hedge said:

Was it not developed by primitive groups such as the native Americas where they had zero technology?

And perfected by science and grown men.

You should grow your own food and see how long you last
itsyourboypookie
AggieCo2023 said:

Is this a joke? It's literally the opposite

Tag every blue collar member of congress that splits time between a county of less than 25,000 people and Washington DC
Robert L. Peters
zephyr88 said:

Until the subsidies come in anyways..
What you say, Paper Champion? I'm gonna beat you like a dog, a dog, you hear me!
not hedge
Why would I? There are people for that
Al Bula
AG
Make no mistake: republicans who are funded by home builders are destroying rural America too. Your rural districts are quickly becoming infested with low income housing. Sad but true. Obama is smiling.
itsyourboypookie
not hedge said:

So you can gain perspective and learn how full of **** you are
JSKolache
AG
not hedge said:

Pretty sure the native africans and asians were cultivating 10000 years before the native americans.

The doctors and engineers could do it, sure, but they wont. They prefer cush jobs. Dont like sweat and busted knucles.
kb2001
AG
Ag CPA said:

They love government price support though, nothing wrong with that either.

That's a pretty juvenile take on exactly who government subsidies for agricultural are helping the most. If farmers didn't get subsidies, and sold their products at market values, a lot of people in the cities couldn't afford groceries. On the other hand, without government subsidies and government control over farming, we wouldn't have farmers getting paid to grow nothing.

ETA- why is everything in italics? Is it agracers signature? that's causing it?
TheEternalPessimist
AGHouston11 said:

The red team wants the approval and to be liked by the blue team

The blue team plays to exterminate the red team
I don't care about them liking me. That ship sailed long ago.

They will never like me when I oppose baby murder and the LGBTQ agenda from the get go. Conversation over.
--

"The Kingdom is for HE that can TAKE IT!" - Alexander
cevans_40
AG
not hedge said:

Ok. What the hell does that have to do with anything? You gonna grow enough food to survive in your apartment or the basement?
cevans_40
AG
not hedge said:

I promise you I could survive just fine if whatever industry you "work" in shut down tomorrow. You can't say that about farming.
fixer
not hedge said:

They only make up about 10% of the population, this is a non issue

Same for the lactose intolerant.

But LGBTQIA's are bowed down to like they are saints and have well under 10% of the population.
SunrayAg
AG
kb2001 said:

Ag CPA said:

That's a pretty juvenile take on exactly who government subsidies for agricultural are helping the most. If farmers didn't get subsidies, and sold their products at market values, a lot of people in the cities couldn't afford groceries. On the other hand, without government subsidies and government control over farming, we wouldn't have farmers getting paid to grow nothing.
Oh great this again.

I've been involved in agriculture since the 80's, and have owned an ag consulting company for the last 21 years. I have done business with many farmers from many states all over the country, and know many more.

And I'm still waiting to meet the guy getting paid to grow nothing.

I keep hearing about him from the texags internet warriors... but have never actually met him in person.

Maybe if you know him tell him to give me a call. I'd like to learn how he does it.
ChemEAg08
AG
Thought this should be posted with all the ignorance posted by condescending leftists/trolls on this thread about farming/ranching.

Quote:

And on the 8th day, God looked down on his planned paradise and said, "I need a caretaker." So God made a farmer.

God said, "I need somebody willing to get up before dawn, milk cows, work all day in the fields, milk cows again, eat supper and then go to town and stay past midnight at a meeting of the school board." So God made a farmer.

"I need somebody with arms strong enough to rustle a calf and yet gentle enough to deliver his own grandchild. Somebody to call hogs, tame cantankerous machinery, come home hungry, have to wait lunch until his wife's done feeding visiting ladies and tell the ladies to be sure and come back real soon -- and mean it." So God made a farmer.

God said, "I need somebody willing to sit up all night with a newborn colt. And watch it die. Then dry his eyes and say, 'Maybe next year.' I need somebody who can shape an ax handle from a persimmon sprout, shoe a horse with a hunk of car tire, who can make harness out of haywire, feed sacks and shoe scraps. And who, planting time and harvest season, will finish his forty-hour week by Tuesday noon, then, pain'n from 'tractor back,' put in another seventy-two hours." So God made a farmer.

God had to have somebody willing to ride the ruts at double speed to get the hay in ahead of the rain clouds and yet stop in mid-field and race to help when he sees the first smoke from a neighbor's place. So God made a farmer.

God said, "I need somebody strong enough to clear trees and heave bails, yet gentle enough to tame lambs and wean pigs and tend the pink-combed pullets, who will stop his mower for an hour to splint the broken leg of a meadow lark. It had to be somebody who'd plow deep and straight and not cut corners. Somebody to seed, weed, feed, breed and rake and disc and plow and plant and tie the fleece and strain the milk and replenish the self-feeder and finish a hard week's work with a five-mile drive to church.

"Somebody who'd bale a family together with the soft strong bonds of sharing, who would laugh and then sigh, and then reply, with smiling eyes, when his son says he wants to spend his life 'doing what dad does.'" So God made a farmer.

- Paul Harvey, 1978
PA24
AG

Folks that live in towns away from major highways, know everyone in town and you ain't welcome if u are full of hate. They don't do drugs nor do they get drunk. Work hard and play hard. God and family, then guns.

And they absolutely understand what Donald J Trumps means to the USA especially when compared to Washington lawyers.

titan
S
not hedge said:

Not the kind American's use--- this is an astonishing thing to say. Even in Hellenistic times there was an art and method to agriculture and the Medieval period too. It developed well way beyond that before the first steam engine. And Industrial implements really changed the picture.
kb2001
AG
SunrayAg said:

kb2001 said:

Ag CPA said:

Oh great this again.

I've been involved in agriculture since the 80's, and have owned an ag consulting company for the last 21 years. I have done business with many farmers from many states all over the country, and know many more.

And I'm still waiting to meet the guy getting paid to grow nothing.

I keep hearing about him from the texags internet warriors... but have never actually met him in person.

Maybe if you know him tell him to give me a call. I'd like to learn how he does it.
I work with his nephew. 10 years paid to produce nothing on a farm in Nebraska
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.