People would go ape over the old Six Flags today

3,650 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by one safe place
wbt5845
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Early 1960s: Children getting inducted into the Confederacy at Six Flags Over Texas. Fort Worth Star-Telegram archive/UT Arlington Special Collections

Early 1960s: Six Flags Over Texas: Indian Village Fort Worth Star-Telegram archive/UT Arlington Special Collections

November 1961: Audience watching a Western themed act depicting a shoot-out at Six Flags Over Texas. Fort Worth Star-Telegram archive/UT Arlington Special Collections

wbt5845
AG
And more from my home - Arlington State Rebels football team, undated

Ol_Ag_02
AG
https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/3336475
Jason C.
AG
Now you'd have to go all the way to Chicago to see a gunfight in the middle of the street like that.
aezmvp
Jason C. said:

Now you'd have to go all the way to Chicago to see a gunfight in the middle of the street like that.
Houston has plenty.
AGHouston11
AG
Are there not enough safe spaces to accommodate the people today ……….
Owlagdad
Cancel six flags
AgBQ-00
AG
if the indian village pic was taken today it would be a bunch of beer guts in jorts/cargo shorts
BG Knocc Out
Kind of cool, this is my grandfather on the cover of the first brochure for Six Flags Over Texas in 1961, painted by a family member on my grandmother's side of the fam. He was a badass. His cousin is the guy shot and falling down...he was actually leaning against the arm of a couch for the photos used for the painting, bc otherwise it was too blurry.

EDIT: This was actually advertising for that wild-west themed shootout show up above.
Law Hall 69-72
AG
I remember it well. I was 10 when I first went to Six Flags in 1960. Each of the six flags had their section of the park. My favorite thing was the gunfight because it was so loud. The park was great fun and, surprisingly, no gang fights broke out while I was there. My parents bought a Confederate flag for me which I still have.
BG Knocc Out
Dang, I am pretty sure the man in the black hat being held back is my papaw but I had only heard about the brochure, trying to confirm. Sorry, this thread has me geeking out...miss that guy!

titan
S

Technically there are possibly two black hats. ;-) Assuming you mean the one front and center on the left. Why is he standing higher up steps than the others?
Ginormus Ag
AG
Not enough fats in those pictures. Can't be Six Flags.
BG Knocc Out
titan said:

Technically there are possibly two black hats. ;-) Assuming you mean the one front and center on the left. Why is he standing higher up steps than the others?
The lower guy in the right with black hat looks exactly like my dad and papaw, but just called and he said it wasn't his dad.

i figured maybe he was invited to be a part of it or something since he was the model for the brochure. Bummer, got real excited.
One Louder
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

if the indian village pic was taken today it would be a bunch of beer guts in jorts/cargo shorts

And tattoos aplenty!
The Fife
Law Hall 69-72 said:

I remember it well. I was 10 when I first went to Six Flags in 1960. Each of the six flags had their section of the park. My favorite thing was the gunfight because it was so loud. The park was great fun and, surprisingly, no gang fights broke out while I was there. My parents bought a Confederate flag for me which I still have.

The park was still like that in the 1980s.
BG Knocc Out
The Fife said:

Law Hall 69-72 said:

Yep, even at Astroworld in Houston in the 80's they did the gunfights, although I bet they shut it down by 1990. I was born in 1981 and I remember being old enough to know what was going on, and intrigued, but also a little scared. Pretty sure that was at Astroworld at least.
TRADUCTOR
aezmvp said:

Jason C. said:

Houston has plenty.

Chief 'Throwing Dice' Takeoff just got killed in Houston
wbt5845
AG
loved these guys. usually ROTC guys from UTA.

lb3
YouBet
AG
The Fife said:

Law Hall 69-72 said:

Yep, I remember the gunfights well. So cool as a kid.
Krautag81
wbt5845 said:

Early 1960s: Children getting inducted into the Confederacy at Six Flags Over Texas. Fort Worth Star-Telegram archive/UT Arlington Special Collections

Early 1960s: Six Flags Over Texas: Indian Village Fort Worth Star-Telegram archive/UT Arlington Special Collections

November 1961: Audience watching a Western themed act depicting a shoot-out at Six Flags Over Texas. Fort Worth Star-Telegram archive/UT Arlington Special Collections

Wow, I remember this shootout act at Six Flags when I was a kid. Just wow!
Burnsey
AG
TRADUCTOR said:

aezmvp said:

Jason C. said:

Houston has plenty.

Chief 'Throwing Dice' Takeoff just got killed in Houston

This thread delivers
agz win
AG
Tragic the size of Houston and no amusement park.
APHIS AG
Jason C. said:

The big difference is that in Chicago, they use real bullets.
Ozzy Osbourne
At some point they changed the Confederate themed section to "pioneer" or some such. Never mind that the Confederate flag was one of the "flags over Texas."

I will enjoy spinning in a giant sombrero and riding the "Conquistador" until those get cancelled too.
aggiepanic95
AG
I bet the lines were ridiculous because that.looks.awesome!
one safe place
titan said:

But only one is being held back
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.