Liz Truss Resigns

6,007 Views | 77 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by annie88
Furlock Bones
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Well that was quick. Tory party is a mess.
CDUB98
AG
Furlock Bones said:

Well that was quick.

Buying_time
AG
Pimpin' ain't easy
No Spin Ag
That was quick.
The Debt
Been listening to the Brits and her ascension is quite scary. Basically she was handpicked by power brokers to maintain the political orthodoxy. No political acumen whatsoever, unaccomplished and ineffectual.
YouBet
AG
UK going to usher in Labor again and speed up their destruction?
rgag12
AG
That was quick
Clob94
The Debt said:

Been listening to the Brits and her ascension is quite scary. Basically she was handpicked by power brokers to maintain the political orthodoxy. No political acumen whatsoever, unaccomplished and ineffectual.
I'm so confused.

British politics are weird.

I thought Truss was supposed to get the fracking ban dropped and trim the fat out of the bloated British budget.

What am I missing here?
DannyDuberstein
AG
If only we could be so lucky
Anubus
She was doomed the very instance she got rid of Kwasi Kwarteng.
ProgN
UK Prime Minister Liz Truss resigns after failed budget and market turmoil (cnbc.com)

I wish Biden and his whole feckless administration would too.
DannyDuberstein
AG
She proposed cutting taxes on the rich (if you call making over 168k rich) and corporations, and they all freaked out. They like being subjugated over there
CDUB98
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

She proposed cutting taxes on the rich and corporations, and they all freaked out. They like being subjugated over there

Indeed they do. Many Europeans simply cannot imagine a world where gov't is not taking care of most every basic need, and thus, any attempt to reducing funding (taxes) of that mechanism completely obliterates their world with even just a mention of it.
CDUB98
AG
And, I swear, I'll never understand the workings of parliamentary style gov't.
No Spin Ag
The Debt said:

Understood, but it's not uncommon for leaders at that level to be that.

She was being touted as the next Thatcher and not even two months later she's done. Was it because she was putting more effort into the business side of politics instead of the average citizen, or did she just do a major faux pas that couldn't be excused so she's having to step down?
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
The Debt said:

British AOC. Does she resemble an equine?

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
CDUB98
AG
Tony Franklins Other Shoe said:

The Debt said:

British AOC. Does she resemble an equine?

Since she's a Tory, more like a MTG.
fka ftc
The Debt said:

Sounds like the Republican party before Trump.
"The absence of the word accountability is not the same as wanting no accountability" -unknown

"You can never go wrong by staying silent if there is nothing apt to say" -Walter Isaacson
BAP Enthusiast
No one wants be the captain of a sinking ship. The UK is ****ed and they all know it.
Proc92
Is mtg a wef lackey?

https://www.weforum.org/people/liz-truss
CDUB98
AG
Proc92 said:

Is mtg a wef lackey?

No, but she's the Republican version of AOC levels of stupid.
Win At Life
AG
rgag12 said:

That was quick
YouBet
AG
No Spin Ag said:

The Debt said:

Understood, but it's not uncommon for leaders at that level to be that.

She was being touted as the next Thatcher and not even two months later she's done. Was it because she was putting more effort into the business side of politics instead of the average citizen, or did she just do a major faux pas that couldn't be excused so she's having to step down?
Her policies would have helped the average citizen over the medium to long term, but I don't expect them to understand that.

Instead the citizenry will now take even more price hikes when their corporate tax rate goes from 19 to 25%. It was already scheduled to do that under Boris but she was going to pause it. Her peers revolted over this.
twk
AG
YouBet said:

UK going to usher in Labor again and speed up their destruction?
The Conservatives have a healthy majority and don't have to call an election until December 2024, but they have dug themselves such a large hole that, at the moment, it seems unlikely they will be able to dig themselves out. Of course, everyone said exactly the same thing early on when John Major took over for Thatcher. Nevertheless, the Conservatives won the next general election. A lot can happen between now and 2024. Harold MacMillan, PM back in the late 50's-early 60's, was once asked by a reporter what was the greatest challenge for a statesman. MacMillan's reply: "Events, my dear boy. Events."
milner79
DannyDuberstein said:

If only we could be so lucky
Silian Rail
First Cabinet without a white male ends predictably.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Not even finished with my second pint and she's gone ???

Well …….. Bye
The Dirty Sock
Guess she wasn't muslim/black/LGBT+/pronoun enough. Fully expecting a carrot that identifies as a box of graham crackers to be PM next week.
waitwhat?
CDUB98 said:

I would actually prefer a parliamentary style federal government here because it encourages more than two parties. If a party can't get a majority they're forced to make concessions to other parties until they can build a majority and form a government. So, for example, if the republicans were close to 50% but not quite there, they would have to join with the libertarians and the libertarians would make demands for more limited government or less spending or whatnot.

The problem in the UK is that they don't have a constitution that limits the government, so they can just do whatever they want. If we kept the constitution (and limited federal power more in it) I think a parliamentary style federal government would be a positive thing.
" 'People that read with pictures think that it's simply about a mask' - Dana Loesch" - Ban Cow Gas

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Dr. Ron Paul

Big Tech IS the empire of lies

TEXIT
CDUB98
AG
Well, in reality, I doubt the founders wanted a two party system. WE would certainly be better off with multiple parties.
YouBet
AG
waitwhat? said:

CDUB98 said:

I would actually prefer a parliamentary style federal government here because it encourages more than two parties. If a party can't get a majority they're forced to make concessions to other parties until they can build a majority and form a government. So, for example, if the republicans were close to 50% but not quite there, they would have to join with the libertarians and the libertarians would make demands for more limited government or less spending or whatnot.

The problem in the UK is that they don't have a constitution that limits the government, so they can just do whatever they want. If we kept the constitution (and limited federal power more in it) I think a parliamentary style federal government would be a positive thing.
So, that's interesting. For some reason never thought about that little differentiator when/if applying a parliamentary govt here. I've always kind of scoffed at it because it just seems like we would be adding even more chaos to our world, but maybe it would be better assuming the Democrats don't continue to ignore the Constitution.
Bubblez
Her far right wing policies simply didn't fly. The markets reacted decidedly negatively towards unfunded tax cuts for the rich. Attempting to allow fracking again was also extraordinarily unpopular within her own party.
BAP Enthusiast
Silian Rail said:

First Cabinet without a white male ends predictably.

She didn't outlast the lettuce.
cr06gis
AG
Bubblez said:

Her far right wing policies simply didn't fly. The markets reacted decidedly negatively towards unfunded tax cuts for the rich. Attempting to allow fracking again was also extraordinarily unpopular within her own party.
Define far right
BAP Enthusiast
Bubblez said:

Far right policy? She had zero British in her administration and she's supposed to be far right? A far right British politician would have put only ethnically British men in the administration and would have committed to repatriating industry.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.