What blew up the Kerch bridge?

6,197 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Waffledynamics
GAC06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Politics related because someone blew up the bridge linking mainland Russia to Crimea and it has obvious impacts on the war in Ukraine. Also staff said to leave this out of the tactical updates thread.

The Northwest bound road span was collapsed in several places, the opposite road span damaged but apparently useable for at least normal vehicles, and the rail bridge damaged by fire, unknown lasting damage.

Here's the cctv footage again:

Here's the aftermath from that same footage. The truck is gone and where it was is the only fully buckled road span.

Some have focused on a wave under the bridge that could have been a boat/sub/drone. That's right before the explosion a bit to the SE from the explosion, pointed out here:

However we can see the approximate location of that wave by watching the cctv video until the smoke clears, and there are light poles and/or guardrails twisted between the site of the wave and the center of the explosion where the truck was over the only fully buckled road spans:

Also note above the eastern light poles bent away from the only fully buckled span where the truck was, and that the center guardrails are blown away and the western guardrails are bent away from the blast that was centered on the only fully buckled road span where the truck was.

Here's the bridge again showing the buckled spans (red arrow), scorching on the road surface from the explosion, and the approximate location of the wave (green arrow), using the standing part of the bridge and twisted guardrails as a reference:

This is a shot from The Guardian's YouTube story. Looking in the direction of travel of the truck, directly across from the source of the explosion where the truck was (buckled spans) you can see the remaining road bridge is slightly bent towards the rail bridge by the explosion. Also all the the guardrails and lights agree with that source:

Finally, here's an underneath view of the buckled spans. You know this is the part of the bridge with the red arrow because it's the only part of the bridge where two road spans are both sloping into the water facing each other. There is no scorching and really no evidence of an explosion of any kind underneath the most heavily damaged portion of the bridge:

So what did it?

Most likely: the truck was remotely detonated with a huge bomb in the trailer and an unwitting driver.

Less likely: a missile strike of some kind. If you have the ability, why send one when you could send several and really take it out? Why not target the arch?

Less likely: sabotage. Would be very challenging and again why not take the whole bridge down at the arch?

Less likely: a boat or sub borne bomb. All evidence points to an explosion on the surface where the truck was. There's no explosive damage at all underneath the bridge, and the water was largely undisturbed by the blast.

Kvetch
AG
Appears to be a bomb.
Shoefly!
AG
I think the truck blew.
10thYrSr
All evidence points to the truck loaded with explosives. All other accounts are invalid.
You are still innocent until proven guilty. What's changed is what they do to innocent people.

Look closer at your sound card. Does it say "Sorny" or "Panaphonics" on it? Buying computers from a kangaroo in an alleyway will get you what you pay for.
p_bubel
Right now, does it even matter?
Get Off My Lawn
That's a steel bridge, folks, and jet fuel doesn't burn hot enough to melt steel! No way a plane took that down.
titan
S

It sure looks like the truck. Not just because of the basic timing, but if you are eyeballing the scene frame by frame the explosion appears to almost exactly match it's location.

One off element --- the very first visible stream of smoke seems to be slight to your right, but that could be where some debris landed.

Its a little annoying seeing that Vindman clown gloat about it---- that kind of stuff only raises the risk of us thought being culpable with the CIA or such meddling.

But the blast looks basic enough where at this stage truck packed doesn't have any obvious arguments against it?
C@LAg
yep
TheCougarHunter
AG
Truck bomb wouldn't do that much damage. No chance.
titan
S
TheCougarHunter said:

Packed with enough of the right kind of material it might. And that's just the thing -- it didn't do that much damage compared to what a far far higher grade weapon would have done if that is what implying. Others have noted the lack of ventral damage below.

The other bridge was restored to use and only a portion of this is missing. In American terms at least, it would be repairable at a reasonable schedule.
GAC06
AG
A Uhaul with a fertilizer bomb did a number on the federal building in OKC. An 18 wheeler could hold a lot more than a Uhaul.
titan
S
GAC06 said:

A Uhaul with a fertilizer bomb did a number on the federal building in OKC. An 18 wheeler could hold a lot more than a Uhaul.
True. You could also compare it to Rhine bridges downed bomb hits. Blast creating a similar breach point and a portion falling into the river from an otherwise solid and still standing structure. Also a topside impact in most cases.
Ag_of_08
AG
Looks like the tuck was probably loaded, have had a crude blast deflection/shaper above with sandbags of the like, why it did damage mainly downward. Looks a lot the bridges over the Rhine that where dropped intentionally.

Watched something not long ago, the Ukrainians really don't have a great way to have hit the thing except by covert. The one thing the Russians really do very well is fixed SAM sites, and nothing short of a 5th gen fighter is going to survive a run in like that and get back out, even pulling some Israeli reactor raid real life "top gun" tactics. Add in to that the ordinance required to nock the thing out.... doesn't make sense.

My best speculation would be the Russians actually having done this themselves, either to justify amping up operations in Crimea, to give an excuse for retreating back into Crimea itself, or one of the oligarchs suggesting to Putin that the time to withdraw has arrived.

Sorry, having trouble believing they let an 18 wheeler full of explosives drive on to a bridge that's absolutely strategically vital to them without some inside cooperation
C@LAg
Ag_of_08 said:

Sorry, having trouble believing they let an 18 wheeler full of explosives drive on to a bridge that's absolutely strategically vital to them without some inside cooperation
there are several reports that Russia believed the bridge and that part of Crimea "too far for Ukraine" to reasonably target.

I can easily see a lazy/complacent bridge crew doing a half-assed job on a boring tractor trailer at 6am on a Saturday morning.

Especially if the truck was prepared with detailed knowledge of what and how trucks are scanned before heading onto the bridge and/or if the driver was an unlucky sap known to the bridge crew who was sacrificed via a remote detonated bomb.
AlaskanAg99
AG
OU s-h-i-t the bridge. 2x in 1 weekend.
Rossticus
Wrighty
AG
Occam's razor says truck bomb.

Truck bomb consistent with the videos. Also consistent with only one side of bridge and one location getting hit, and a sort of "Big Bang, lacking in precision".

A "drone boat" surely wouldn't have made it past Russian defense monitoring.

A "covert action" surely would have had better execution, hitting both bridges, multiple points, and more destruction with more precise location of explosives etc.
Ulysses90
AG

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1578747721766227969.html
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Other video found
MouthBQ98
AG
What do Ukrainian Partisans have access to?

A LOT of Ingredients to make a ANFO by the truckload. Also probably special forces to help, and provide the triggering explosive charge.

I'm going to guess they had some reasonable security but the ANFO wouldn't be that hard to disguise as a legitimate cargo, and with all the military and other traffic, things were bound to be missed.

MaroonStain
AG
Amish SpecOps?
Houston Lee
AG
I think the same girl that blew up the bridge with the truck is the one that blew up the Nord Stream pipelines. It just took her awhile to drive the truck all the way down to Crimea after she changed out of her scuba gear.

I think this was all a field test for the new James Bond. And I think they found their 007 girl.
agent-maroon
AG
TheCougarHunter said:

You can pack enough explosives into a missile to yield similar results. How many missiles could you pack into an 18-wheeler trailer? A truck bomb could absolutely do this kind of damage. It was probably smaller than it could have been because they had to disguise it to get it past the checkpoint(s).
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ElKabong
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
where was kamala when this bridge was blown?
YouBet
AG
David Wallace said:

I think the same girl that blew up the bridge with the truck is the one that blew up the Nord Stream pipelines. It just took her awhile to drive the truck all the way down to Crimea after she changed out of her scuba gear.

I think this was all a field test for the new James Bond. And I think they found their 007 girl.

If a woman caused this explosion while driving a truck, there is no way she isn't Asian.
whatthehey78
AG
Didn't anyone notice the light moving along the roadway in a southeasterly direction? The detonation occurs approx. where the light is last seen. My gut says 'smart bomb' from an airborne aircraft with another aircraft 'targeting' the bridge from above.

Now...who has that capability???

Oh, and if HRC asks...my name is Jose Cuervo and she can text me at OU812.
Alexander, Caesar, Charlemagne, and myself founded empires; but upon what foundation did we rest the creations of our genius? Upon force! But Jesus Christ founded His upon love; and at this hour millions of men would die for Him. - Napoleon Bonaparte
chris1515
AG
Since the damage seems limited enough that they are going to have rail traffic restored very quickly it seems…is there a decent chance this was a false flag op from the Russians? It would make it look like the Ukes were expanding operations and also give the Russians a "win" by so quickly repairing the bridge?
GAC06
AG
A light would have nothing to do with what an aircraft is targeting. They don't shine lights, targeting laser energy is invisible, and… it was a car
titan
S
chris1515 said:

Since the damage seems limited enough that they are going to have rail traffic restored very quickly it seems…is there a decent chance this was a false flag op from the Russians? It would make it look like the Ukes were expanding operations and also give the Russians a "win" by so quickly repairing the bridge?
Very unlikely. Quickly made usable again is very different from fundamentally restored and repaired. That's a PIA on any span like that. The deliberate false-flags `against self' scenarios are overlooking that the Russians are aware of the difficulties in such repairs and logistics and would not casually invite them on themselves. Deliberate human casualties is different from deliberate communications and structural losses that might prove unexpectedly hard to restore or materials needed no longer plentiful.

GAC06
AG
A false flag damaging critical infrastructure to make themselves look vulnerable and incompetent?
BQ_90
AG
GAC06 said:

A false flag damaging critical infrastructure to make themselves look vulnerable and incompetent?
I can buy poor safety packing explosives on a truck. They seem to crash a lot of planes on their own.

But the timing of a truck bomb going off right by the train was pretty coincidental

Hell maybe Vlad threw his cig outta the truck and it flew in the back and cooked off something. I can see RU having loose gunpowder in paper sacks in that truck.
chris1515
AG
Yeah, I guess having that explode so close to the train makes that a dumber idea than i thought initially.
I just read someplace that they would have train traffic back up and crossing in very short order and thought, maybe this isn't that bad after all…
p_bubel

WestAustinAg
AG
Is this a Ukrainian bridge?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.