The Marker - and the Apology Marker

2,074 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by CanyonAg77
CanyonAg77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
EDIT: See 29 April 2024 update below

So the historical markers pictured below popped up recently on the grounds of the A&M system school, WTAMU.

One commemorates J. Evetts Haley. The other....does not.

The interesting thing is that I saw the THC marker for a month or more, boxed up on its stand. My assumption was that they were waiting for a certain day, or ceremony for the unveiling. Instead, one day, I noticed it was uncovered, and a second marker was at its side. No ceremony that I saw, I heard no news accounts, and I can't find any press releases.

For background, the Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum, on the campus of WTAMU, is one of the finest regional museums in the United States. I encourage anyone visiting Palo Duro Canyon to visit the museum. J. Evetts Haley was the first secretary of the Historical Society that created the museum, and it was his tireless efforts that led to its creation. He spent countless hours interviewing the pioneers of the Panhandle, and collecting artifacts from them.

No J. Evetts Haley, no museum.

After his stint as Society Secretary, he was on the faculty at t.u. He got bounced from there for being too outspoken. In addition, he was a prolific author, and wrote one of the great biographies, that of Charles Goodnight.

If you like the miniseries Lonesome Dove, then thank Haley, as McMurtry took the entire story from the lives of Charles Goodnight and Oliver Loving that Haley wrote about in his Goodnight biography.

So the marker and commemoration of Haley is well deserved, and stands near the museum he helped found, and a statue of Goodnight, the man he immortalized.

Unless you are a woke member of the faculty at a directional school. Apparently, someone, there is no record of who, was shocked, shocked I tell you, to find that a man that was born over 120 years ago was not woke. And woke people cannot stand to have a man's good works acclaimed, unless they can judge him by 2022 standards. When I was one year old, he ran for Texas governor on a platform that included segregation.

You know, the same as every Democrat of 1956. Nearly a decade before Texas integrated schools and colleges. And weirdly, the same as Democrats today, who demand separate spaces for minorities in colleges today. But by gawd, we are going to be OUTRAGED, I tell you OUTRAGED over a chapter in the man's life that had zero to do with the marker.

Frankly, I suspect a lot of the Haley hate comes from his (accurate) attack on liberal icon LBJ, before the 1964 election.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/arts-entertainment/a-texan-looks-at-lyndon/

Quote:

Titled A Texan Looks at Lyndon: A Study in Illegitimate Power, the 254-page self-published paperbackHaley says no publishing house would touch itportrayed Johnson as a vain and vicious man whose climb to the presidency was wrought with malevolence on every rung of the ladder. Haley quoted with obvious relish a description of the National Youth Administration, of which Johnson had been a state director, as "a disloyal, subversive organization, under the domination of Russia." He contended that Johnson was a congressman who supported farm programs "conceived by the Communist cell in agriculture." He alleged that as vice president, Johnson "accepted second place for money."....

Haley is now (article is from 1987) 86 and unrepentant. When he's not tending his ranch, he spends most of his time in his Midland office and library. He maintains that the book's allegations must have been true or he would have been sued for libel. And he resents that he is seldom cited in the dozens of Johnson biographies that have appeared since 1964. "'Course," he says with a sharp-edged crackle, "everybody wants to write about the sonofa***** now that he's dead."

Here are the markers. Judge for yourself. And wonder when the apology markers will be erected for any Texan of historical significance.

CrottyKid
AG
The more you know of your history, the more liberated you are. ...
So, we will erase all parts of history that offends us.
BQ78
AG
They'll need a lot of apology markers for Democrats of the late 19th and early 20th century if they are going after segregationists.
Layne Staley
AG
(in)direct descendent of Goodnight here. His brother was my line.

its always funny hearing someone claim they are a direct descendent of someone who had no children
CanyonAg77
AG
Just in case you wondered, here is a paper on the 1956 Texas Governor's election. All four candidates were (gasp!) segregationists

https://scholarworks.sfasu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2612&context=ethj
MGS
BQ78 said:

They'll need a lot of apology markers for Democrats of the late 19th and early 20th century if they are going after segregationists.
...and a lot of Democrats in the early 21st century.
Tramp96
CrottyKid said:

The more you know of your history, the more liberated you are. ...
So, we will erase all parts of history that offends us.
Ironic, don't you think?
BQ78
AG
At least in this case they are not erasing the history. Now if they took the original away that would be more "erasing." I wish there were more apology markers installed in the summer of 2020, than what actually happened-- including digging up the remains of people dead for over 100 years.
CanyonAg77
AG
BQ78 said:

At least in this case they are not erasing the history. Now if they took the original away that would be more "erasing."

About that...

Both markers have since been removed, I haven't found any news articles explaining that action.
fasthorse05
I've read Haley's book about Goodnight!

It's awesome.

Goodnight was a hell of a man.
Hate is how progressives sustain themselves. Without hate, introspection begins to slip into the progressive's consciousness, threatening the progressive with the truth: that their ideas and opinions are illogical, hypocritical, dangerous, and asinine.
This is backed by data.
CanyonAg77
AG
I read that, and I've read his book about LBJ.

The latter one is probably why he was cancelled.
NE PA Ag
This is unreal. In Canyon this happens (I understand the campus is doing this, not the townspeople, but still).

Thanks for the eloquent explanation of the situation, but especially the part about judging someone's actions in the past through the lense of their social mores of today.
whoop1995
AG
Just doing a little research on this person Mayo Angelo turns out to be a previous sex worker for a stint in her life.

So her "sins" of the past get to out place other "sins" of the past -and placed as a judge on other peoples "sins" should we put up a sign next to hers that says - for a short time in my life I was a prostitute.?

This is ridiculous. The people rewriting history or choosing people to represent history are just as bad if not worse than the people they are attacking.

This is another attempt for the Democrats to erase their history under the guise of doing good for all. Oh we are not those democrats anymore! Bull crap. Same o same o. One gets erased and one gets praised. Crazy

https://decriminalizesex.work/maya-angelou-sex-worker-and-hero/
CanyonAg77
AG
Further update:

The J. Evetts Haley marker, originally placed on the WTAMU campus, about 50 feet East of the Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum, is now displayed inside the museum.

The apology marker is not there, I still do not know where it went.

We visited the Museum about a week ago, and stumbled across the JEH marker in the main gallery. I have not seen a news article regarding its removal or the disappearance of the apology marker.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.