Adultery and marriage

28,436 Views | 568 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Manhattan
Silian Rail
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ABATTBQ11 said:

BAP Enthusiast said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

BAP Enthusiast said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

BAP Enthusiast said:

Yukon Cornelius said:

Nor do I. Like I side it's just something I've wondered and not something to enforce one way or another.

But marriage is an institution established and defined by God which is to manifest the relationship between Jesus and His followers.

So for non believers to participate In that is like vegans wanting to eat food that looks and taste like meat but isn't meat.

I agree with this, none of it makes sense at all. What is the purpose of marriage without religion? At that point it's a civil Union for tax purposes, it doesn't have any real meaning.

Maybe... Just maybe... And stay with me now... Voluntary monogamy and personal devotion to a spouse doesn't require a religious foundation or consecration. Maybe marriage isn't a Christian or even religious institution, but a human institution incorporated by many religions.

Atheism is a new concept, irreligious marriage has never existed. Those Hunter/gatherer tribes absolutely believed in the supernatural and had their own specific set of spiritual beliefs. It is absolutely a concept that went hand in hand with religion.

1. Prove it

2. You can't, because there is no recorded of early human practices like marriage or religion

We know the hunter/gatherer tribes were spiritual.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s12110-016-9260-0

It began with animism and then spread to shamanism and ancestors worship. Hunter/gathered tribes were absolutely spiritual, they were not remotely like modern atheists or agnostics.

And those that predated them?
Now that's a bold statement.

"There's no record of early human practices like marriage or religion"
-yes there is here's proof
"No go back even further"
-how far back?
"until there's no proof"
Manhattan
This thread is a great case study for why we need red flag laws.
TxAgPreacher
S
BlackGoldAg2011 said:

TxAgPreacher said:

javajaws said:

BAP Enthusiast said:

I am of the opinion that adultery should be punishable by a minimum of 1 year in prison for every violation and it should be the only valid reason for divorce.
So you believe a person should have to stay married to a physically or verbally abusive spouse. Spreadsheet updated.

This is dumb and dishonest.

If you beat your spouse you go to jail.

The definition of divorce is separation.
it's not dishonest. i have been in evangelical churches that believed divorce was not biblically justified in cases of physical abuse.

Lies.
BAP Enthusiast
ABATTBQ11 said:

BAP Enthusiast said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

BAP Enthusiast said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

BAP Enthusiast said:

Yukon Cornelius said:

Nor do I. Like I side it's just something I've wondered and not something to enforce one way or another.

But marriage is an institution established and defined by God which is to manifest the relationship between Jesus and His followers.

So for non believers to participate In that is like vegans wanting to eat food that looks and taste like meat but isn't meat.

I agree with this, none of it makes sense at all. What is the purpose of marriage without religion? At that point it's a civil Union for tax purposes, it doesn't have any real meaning.

Maybe... Just maybe... And stay with me now... Voluntary monogamy and personal devotion to a spouse doesn't require a religious foundation or consecration. Maybe marriage isn't a Christian or even religious institution, but a human institution incorporated by many religions.

Atheism is a new concept, irreligious marriage has never existed. Those Hunter/gatherer tribes absolutely believed in the supernatural and had their own specific set of spiritual beliefs. It is absolutely a concept that went hand in hand with religion.

1. Prove it

2. You can't, because there is no recorded of early human practices like marriage or religion

It began with animism and then spread to shamanism and ancestors worship. Hunter/gathered tribes were absolutely spiritual, they were not remotely like modern atheists or agnostics.

They probably weren't functionally Homo sapiens. We know from Richard Dawkins (a staunch atheist) that humanity is genetically inclined to believe in the supernatural. That is, it's been around as long as humanity has been around. His book, The God Delusion lays out the evidence for it. I take this to mean that God made us this way so that we would be open to receiving his messages.

There has never been a single point in human history where humans were not spiritual.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Silian Rail said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

BAP Enthusiast said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

BAP Enthusiast said:

Yukon Cornelius said:

1. Prove it

Did you say there is no recorded history of early human practices like marriage or religion?

Yes. There's plenty of grey area on where humanity even began, much less their cultural beliefs and practices. You talk about earliest known (or assumed/believed) cultural practices, but that is not comprehensive of human culture before that.
ABATTBQ11
AG
BAP Enthusiast said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

BAP Enthusiast said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

BAP Enthusiast said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

BAP Enthusiast said:

Yukon Cornelius said:

1. Prove it

They probably weren't functionally Homo sapiens. We know from Richard Dawkins (a staunch atheist) that humanity is genetically inclined to believe in the supernatural. That is, it's been around as long as humanity has been around. His book, The God Delusion lays out the evidence for it. I take this to mean that God made us this way so that we would be open to receiving his messages.

There has never been a single point in human history where humans were not spiritual.

And that's not proof. It's speculation.
aggrad02
AG
BAP Enthusiast said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

BAP Enthusiast said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

BAP Enthusiast said:

Yukon Cornelius said:

1. Prove it

It began with animism and then spread to shamanism and ancestors worship. Hunter/gatherer tribes were absolutely spiritual, they were not remotely like modern atheists or agnostics.

No we call what they did spiritual. They would have considered it just explaining how things are with their limited knowledge of science.

Spirituality wasn't a term until the 1300's and religion wasn't until the 1200's.

But glad to see you understand that religion and spirituality are made up human concepts like the article points out.
titan
S
Malibu2 said:

My children are young and sex isn't a topic we will get to yet, but I have started thinking about the messages that I want to give to them, mainly because Christianity wasn't entirely helpful. My approach will be heavily emphasizing gravity and responsibility around sex. It should never be a casual thing and it can have life altering consequences. But after 18 if they are in a committed monogamous relationship with someone that is responsible and emotionally healthy, I'm not going to preach marriage as the only appropriate time to have sex.
Wanted to mention in relation to the last, Dennis Prager of all people also actually doesn't back that all or nothing approach. It may be a Jewish difference but his position sounds pretty close to yours --- some style of `very serious management and responsibility' in handling outlook. He didn't use the imagery, but it also sounds like my comparison of the glibness of swing set play vs the serious business of flying a plane.
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
TxAgPreacher said:

BlackGoldAg2011 said:

TxAgPreacher said:

javajaws said:

BAP Enthusiast said:

I am of the opinion that adultery should be punishable by a minimum of 1 year in prison for every violation and it should be the only valid reason for divorce.
So you believe a person should have to stay married to a physically or verbally abusive spouse. Spreadsheet updated.

This is dumb and dishonest.

If you beat your spouse you go to jail.

The definition of divorce is separation.
it's not dishonest. i have been in evangelical churches that believed divorce was not biblically justified in cases of physical abuse.

Lies.
not lies. here is an excerpt from a bible study the church i'm currently attending went through this year in all small groups. keeping in mind this study was written by the church staff

Deputy Travis Junior
Yukon Cornelius said:

No it isn't. It literally took me 5 seconds to find out that the first recorded marriage took place in 2350 BC in Mesopotamia, so the idea that it was created to manifest a relationship between the couple and Jesus is simply not true.

Only Christians and Jews should get married... What a terrible, self absorbed theory.
theeyetest
I've read a lot of dumb things in my life but this one probably tops them all. Yikes.
Ol Rock
AG
I heard Japan has a fine up to $10k per participant. So you could sue the soon to be ex and any lovers you could prove for $10k each. I'd be happy with that.

How about a $10k fine and no spousal support for a cheating spouse. I'm for that.
BAP Enthusiast
aggrad02 said:

BAP Enthusiast said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

BAP Enthusiast said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

BAP Enthusiast said:

Yukon Cornelius said:

1. Prove it

It began with animism and then spread to shamanism and ancestors worship. Hunter/gatherer tribes were absolutely spiritual, they were not remotely like modern atheists or agnostics.

No we call what they did spiritual. They would have considered it just explaining how things are with their limited knowledge of science.

Spirituality wasn't a term until the 1300's and religion wasn't until the 1200's.

But glad to see you understand that religion and spirituality are made up human concepts like the article points out.

Go tell those people the supernatural didn't exist and I'll bet you that they would view you as a crazy person. Why are you trying to give these people modern human social mores? They were isolated tribes with no contact to much of the outside world except for a few other tribes near them. It's pretty obvious they believed in the supernatural. This slowly became organized more and more as people travelled and traded and emigrated places until eventually forming organized religions after the invention of agriculture.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Silian Rail said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

BAP Enthusiast said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

BAP Enthusiast said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

BAP Enthusiast said:

Yukon Cornelius said:

1. Prove it

-how far back?
"until there's no proof"

No, a bold statement is, "I can speak with certainty of that for which there is no record." How can you speak to the cultural practices and beliefs of humans who left no writings remains?
aggrad02
AG
BAP Enthusiast said:

aggrad02 said:

BAP Enthusiast said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

BAP Enthusiast said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

BAP Enthusiast said:

Yukon Cornelius said:

1. Prove it

Go tell those people the supernatural didn't exist and I'll bet you that they would view you as a crazy person. Why are you trying to give these people modern human social mores? They were isolated tribes with no contact to much of the outside world except for a few other tribes near them. It's pretty obvious they believed in the supernatural. This slowly became organized more and more as people travelled and traded and emigrated places until eventually forming organized religions after the invention of agriculture.

My point is that they did not know it was "super" natural, that is you understanding that their beliefs didn't equate with science, hence "super" natural. To them it was just natural.

And of course they would think I'm crazy, I could also explain to them how nature works and
they would think I'm crazy too lol.

Btw Supernatural is a term from the 1500's.

Seeing a pattern with these words, religion, spirituality, supernatural, all coming along as science explains more and more of our natural world. Same with "religions" larger and more encompassing as an explanatory device with multiple gods to less and less explanatory and more "faith" and one god.

TexAgs91
AG
Ugh... What is it with the religious right? Every time Republicans are looking good the religious right comes along to hijack the movement.

Take your theocracy and go start your own party.
"Freedom is never more than one election away from extinction"
Fight! Fight! Fight!
Old McDonald
OP is on a heater today, how do y'all find the time during the workday to debate for six straight hours on college football forums?
Silian Rail
ABATTBQ11 said:

Silian Rail said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

BAP Enthusiast said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

BAP Enthusiast said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

BAP Enthusiast said:

Yukon Cornelius said:

1. Prove it

-how far back?
"until there's no proof"

No, a bold statement is, "I can speak with certainty of that for which there is no record." How can you speak to the cultural practices and beliefs of humans who left no writings remains?
Yes, if you ask for something that doesn't exist, it can't be proven. That's not what you did. You said there was no record of early human practices like marriage or religion; when provided with ancient examples you just moved the timeline back further.
Athanasius
AG
No-fault divorce is one of the worst concepts humanity has implemented. It is the root cause of so many of society's problems. Address this instead.
RebelE Infantry
AG
TexAgs91 said:

Ugh... What is it worth the religious right? Everyone Republicans are looking good the religious right comes along to hijack the movement.

Well seeing as their unheeded warnings from 30 and 40 years ago have proved exactly as they predicted, and even worse, I'd say they feel emboldened.

Also, who exactly do you think was responsible for the fall of Roe v Wade?

Or are you one of those sniveling cowards who think that was actually a bad thing because muh elections?
The flames of the Imperium burn brightly in the hearts of men repulsed by degenerate modernity. Souls aflame with love of goodness, truth, beauty, justice, and order.
mesocosm
AG
BAP Enthusiast said:

I am of the opinion that adultery should be punishable by a minimum of 1 year in prison for every violation and it should be the only valid reason for divorce. I also think that you should not be allowed to marry at all unless you get a religious marriage. This would ensure all marriages are religious in nature and eliminate those who just want to get married for tax purposes.

if you don't have a religious marriage, why do you even care about faithfulness? You just have a civil union for tax purposes so who cares what your spouse does? Your marriage isn't valid in the eyes of the lord anyway.

In a marriage this is effectively as bad emotionally as milking someone and people grieve in the same way as an actual death. This topic has even been glorified in modern media and Hollywood and our politicians do it all of the time. It's an absolutely corruptive force that has no business in a civilized society.

Thanks for that bonkers bit of Christian Fascism
Silian Rail
mesocosm said:

BAP Enthusiast said:

I am of the opinion that adultery should be punishable by a minimum of 1 year in prison for every violation and it should be the only valid reason for divorce. I also think that you should not be allowed to marry at all unless you get a religious marriage. This would ensure all marriages are religious in nature and eliminate those who just want to get married for tax purposes.

if you don't have a religious marriage, why do you even care about faithfulness? You just have a civil union for tax purposes so who cares what your spouse does? Your marriage isn't valid in the eyes of the lord anyway.

In a marriage this is effectively as bad emotionally as milking someone and people grieve in the same way as an actual death. This topic has even been glorified in modern media and Hollywood and our politicians do it all of the time. It's an absolutely corruptive force that has no business in a civilized society.

Thanks for that bonkers bit of Christian Fascism
If you will it, then it is no dream
-Theodor Herzl
No Spin Ag
Old McDonald said:

OP is on a heater today, how do y'all find the time during the workday to debate for six straight hours on college football forums?

Today has been like old off season threads back when Fran was coaching. Good times.
There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the later ignorance. Hippocrates
Ag_of_08
AG
Athanasius said:

No-fault divorce is one of the worst concepts humanity has implemented. It is the root cause of so many of society's problems. Address this instead.

Marriage contracts being enforced by secular govt far outrank it.
BAP Enthusiast
aggrad02 said:

BAP Enthusiast said:

aggrad02 said:

BAP Enthusiast said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

BAP Enthusiast said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

BAP Enthusiast said:

Yukon Cornelius said:

1. Prove it

My point is that they did not know it was "super" natural, that is you understanding that their beliefs didn't equate with science, hence "super" natural. To them it was just natural.

And of course they would think I'm crazy, I could also explain to them how nature works and
they would think I'm crazy too lol.

Btw Supernatural is a term from the 1500's.

Seeing a pattern with these words, religion, spirituality, supernatural, all coming along as science explains more and more of our natural world. Same with "religions" larger and more encompassing as an explanatory device with multiple gods to less and less explanatory and more "faith" and one god.

Again you're using modern terms to specifically obscure what they actually believed.

Racism was never used until the last few hundred years but we know for a fact that everyone in the past was absolutely distrustful of outsiders, especially those who looked different. This was the norm but they didn't call it racism.

They believe in the supernatural. They didn't just believe in nature. It had nothing to do with their lack of understanding, they believe in some form of animism where nature had a supernatural cause to it.
BAP Enthusiast
Old McDonald said:

When you are an efficient worker you can afford to ****post online.
Adverse Event
The human male "weenis" (since the medical anatomy term is censored) is shaped (like Muy's head) as it is so that it literally SCOOPS out competing semen, fyi.

Quote:

The human ***** may displace seminal fluid from other males in the vagina by forcing it back around the glans. The effect of thrusting, according to this ... time, this would allow subsequent males to ''scoop out'' semen left by others before ejaculating (Baker & Bellis, 1995).
White Liberals=The Worst
Almost all Christian men have at least committed "soft adultery" in their lives. Also, I know elders who are some of the best men I have ever known who were remarried, and after decades studying the word, I feel like they've still got a shot to be in God's presence after their card is punched.
RyanAg12
AG
I have now reached the end of page 10.

These two whack-jobs have to be messing with everyone. I cannot believe that this mindset exists. It is some of the most closed-minded nonsense I've ever heard.

IMO, they are the reason many (like myself) who vote red but are open to the "gray area" where most answers to topics are actually found, are staying away. I will still vote red - the alternative is just not comprehensible for a domestic government - but it's really hard to defend the right when opposition can point to people like this. The Republican Party would win in landslides these days if we could shed this stigma.

Much credit to those of you who attempted to have a rational discussion with them.
FratboyLegend
RyanAg12 said:

These two whack-jobs have to be messing with everyone. I cannot believe that this mindset exists. It is some of the most closed-minded nonsense I've ever heard.

IMO, they are the reason many (like myself) who vote red but are open to the "gray area" where most answers to topics are actually found, are staying away. I will still vote red - the alternative is just not comprehensible for a domestic government - but it's really hard to defend the right when opposition can point to people like this. The Republican Party would win in landslides these days if we could shed this stigma.

Much credit to those of you who attempted to have a rational discussion with them.
A-MEN!!
#CertifiedSIP
BAP Enthusiast
RyanAg12 said:

No more compromise with the left, ever. We tried that, it didn't work.
TexAgs91
AG
RebelE Infantry said:

TexAgs91 said:

Ugh... What is it worth the religious right? Everyone Republicans are looking good the religious right comes along to hijack the movement.

Well seeing as their unheeded warnings from 30 and 40 years ago have proved exactly as they predicted, and even worse, I'd say they feel emboldened.

Also, who exactly do you think was responsible for the fall of Roe v Wade?

Or are you one of those sniveling cowards who think that was actually a bad thing because muh elections?
No, I'm not one of those sniveling cowards. Pro-life is something we agree on. Placing the end of gay marriage as our #1 priority is not.
"Freedom is never more than one election away from extinction"
Fight! Fight! Fight!
91AggieLawyer
AG
Malibu2 said:

Silian Rail said:

Malibu2 said:

BAP Enthusiast said:

Malibu2 said:

Your assertion that promiscuity cannot be judge has not been proven. This is a logical fallacy that you were committing over and over again in this thread.

This is exactly what the left says all of the time constantly, everywhere. It's continuous on Social media and dating apps. Not only that, it's straight up glorified.

Wait, you read something on social media and all of a sudden that supposed to mean something as far as what the body politic of the left is supposed to think about sexual mores and morality? Do I have to respond to every dumbass on Twitter who says something stupid because they vote for candidates that I vote for?

Confession time. I once asked for prayers as a 16-year-old boy because I had lustful thoughts and was concerned for my immortal soul. That kind of sexual purity culture is toxic, and is rampant in evangelical Christianity. The idea that you should just go around sleeping with as many people as you want without any concern Is also toxic. If you if you want me to choose which one is more toxic I'll probably choose promiscuity is more harmful than believing that an interest in boobies is grounds for eternal torture.
You asked for prayers not to have lustful thoughts and you thought that was bad?

Yes, it is bad. We are biologically hardwired to notice women and be sexually interested. There's nothing shameful or evil about that, it's toxic guilt with the looming threat of eternal punishment for merely having the same biological urges that are shared by almost everyone on the planet. Making teenagers feel like there is something not just wrong with them, but actually evil that they must cast out is harmful.

And no, that doesn't mean I'm advocating for an all you can eat porn buffet, carte blanche to be an ogling creeper, or permission to sew wild oats. I just recognize human sexuality as perfectly normal and Christian attempts to shame it ipso facto are in fact toxic.

Once again, with your posts, there are so many things wrong with them, its extremely difficult to plan out an attack. Not only are there misstatements of fact, but there are underlying beliefs that are, in fact, untrue. While I can't speak for how everyone feels about everything, what you described isn't normal, at least not in the mainstream Christian church. I ought to know; I've been in one my entire life.

First of all, you are correct about the hardwiring thing. It sort of defeats some of your other stuff on other threads, but we'll leave that aside for now.

Second, there's no "eternal punishment for merely having" anything, urges or otherwise. Whether you want to call it punishment or not, what there IS eternally is separation from God. But that isn't anything different than what sin is here and now, in a not so eternal life on earth: separation from God. But guess what: we are ALL sinners and separated. It doesn't matter what our urges are or even whether we act upon them. There's only one way to bridge that separation and that is through Jesus Christ. If you want to think of that as avoiding eternal punishment, fine, but I prefer to think of it as the way to eternal life.

Now, if you choose not to believe that, or want to put it in another, more worldly acceptable way (i.e. nonsensical and certainly unBiblical), that's fine. We all have free will. But don't misstate what it is. And there is certainly nothing toxic about it.

Finally, there is nothing scripturally that I am aware of that categorizes sins as a being better or worse -- its all imperfection and something God detests. And that's what we all are -- imperfect. People that have a hard time accepting that are going to love the sin (or themselves) more than they love God. That's a choice THEY make, and the consequences of that choice, not what other Christians are saying about those consequences, is really what is bothering the people you speak of. NO ONE is saying the teenagers you speak of are evil; you are flat out making that up. But sin, as I said earlier, is something that can not be any part of God and must be forgiven. There's only one way to forgive sin in God's eyes, and that's through the shedding of innocent blood. In Old Testament times, it was through sacrifices of animals, etc. But through the New Covenant, Jesus Christ became the sacrifice and all we have to do is accept his as our Lord and Savior. Call forgiveness of sin "casting out" if you want to, but it involves a simple prayer and request for such forgiveness. Sort of like being at a restaurant and asking for a drink refill, but in this case, it has eternal repercussions.

Again, free will says you or anyone else do/does not have to accept it or believe. You can call this false doctrine or teaching if you want to. I don't care. I believe it, and nothing you say can change that. HOWEVER, NOT ONE WORD OF WHAT I WROTE HERE IS IN ANYWAY HARMFUL, to you or anyone else. That's just nuts.

The only harm what I wrote here is doing is to leftist and humanistic ideology. The more people that believe in the Gospel of Jesus Christ, the fewer that are going to be led astray by that nonsense. We're pretty aware it is for that reason you think what I say here is "harmful."
torrid
AG
Ol Rock said:

I heard Japan has a fine up to $10k per participant. So you could sue the soon to be ex and any lovers you could prove for $10k each. I'd be happy with that.

How about a $10k fine and no spousal support for a cheating spouse. I'm for that.
A handful of states still have an "alienation of affection" law which allows a jilted spouse to sue the cheating spouse's paramour. The laws date back to the 1800s when only men were allowed to sue. Ironically these days, it seems to be more women suing.
TTilley20
AG
BAP Enthusiast said:

RyanAg12 said:

No more compromise with the left, ever. We tried that, it didn't work.

Dude not everything is Right vs Left. The amount of republicans who beat their chest trying to dunk on "the left" is exhausting.

The other side of the aisle has a large chunk of wackos sure, but just because someone believes differently than me politically doesnt mean they are the bane upon society. I know plenty of people who aren't "libtards" and can have civil discussions. Not all "lefties" agree with the far left.

Not everything in life is black and white. The whole right vs left thing always makes me cringe. Its ridiculous because several republicans are just as dirty and corrupt as democrats. Almost all politicians are evil. Red is just often the lesser of two evils.

I equate the "lefties are stupid, maga maga maga" crowd to the evangelicals who constantly ram religion down peoples throats. "If you don't do what I do then you are evil and wrong".

I say this as a God fearing, church going, republican voting person.

Now if you want something evil that you should despise I recommend tu

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.