Benjamin Franklin gave instructions on at-home abortions in a book

6,556 Views | 130 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Tramp96
Tom Doniphon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ozzy Osbourne said:

Do we love the founding fathers or hate them?

Like any other great leaders throughout history - they weren't without flaw. Only one Man was and they nailed him to a cross.
Carolin_Gallego
Ectopic pregnancies occur in 1 in 50 pregnancies and must be aborted or the woman will die.
We believe progress is made through MORE discussion, not LESS, and we believe that to be true even if the topics are uncomfortable and we occasionally disagree with one another. - TexAgs
The name-calling technique making false associations is a child's game. The propagandist who uses this technique hopes that the audience will reject a person and their argument on this false basis.
backintexas2013
AG
Do you have a link for that 1 in 50?
doubledog
Tom Doniphon said:

Franklin was also about half ass scoundrel... WGAF?

This, he was a patriarch and a immoral *******, whose moral compass was always pointed south.
Tom Doniphon
There are lies and damn lies.

You sir, subscribe to the latter.
Tom Doniphon
His 1 in 50 isn't far off.... his, "they must abort or die" is more bull *****
backintexas2013
AG
I found 1 in 100. I mean keef wouldn't lie so I am guessing he has a better source.
doubledog
Carolin_Gallego said:

Ectopic pregnancies occur in 1 in 50 pregnancies and must be aborted or the woman will die.
A miscarriage is called a spontaneous abortion, what is your point?
Tom Doniphon
Me too, though it said 1-2 per hundred.... so I was giving him the benefit of the doubt there.
Bobaloo
Franklin was an exceptional writer and wrote on a myriad of subjects. He also had tremendous intellectual curiosity. It is not surprising that he wrote something on the subject as people were having sex in the 18th century, which might shock some folks. I do not this SCOTUS will reference Franklin if a decision is rendered on Roe.
backintexas2013
AG
The question keef or any of the other abortion supporters is at what age can a woman choose? I mean one idiot said any age because it's her body.
jrico2727
AG
By this logic I can kill anyone who is inconvenient because they may get cancer later.
BigRobSA
Morons that cheer killing babies.
"The Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution was never designed to restrain the people. It was designed to restrain the government."
Boo Weekley
Carolin_Gallego said:

That is a flat out lie (that it's a certainty that a woman will die if she doesn't have it removed). But your lying aside, you and I know this is a freak deal and a miscarriage or miscarriage in waiting. You not only have to lie, but it is always these extreme exceptions which you white liberals choose to hang your hats on.
cevans_40
AG
Phatbob said:

LOL, boboguitar having to reach on his gotcha posts lately.
Now leftist like the founding fathers again
Boo Weekley
cevans_40 said:

Phatbob said:

LOL, boboguitar having to reach on his gotcha posts lately.
Now leftist like the founding fathers again

"Well he violated countless young women and supported slavery and fighting the red man, but then again, he supported killing babies, so he's totally redeemed in my book!"

/godless white liberal hypocrites
cecil77
AG
Franklin's sexual promiscuity is largely exaggerated. He live away from his life for most of 50 years, so undoubtedly he had sex, but nowhere near the extent that's reported.
Carolin_Gallego
It's not a rare occurrence if it happens at a rate of 1 in 50 pregnancies. Ectopic pregnancies are a life-threatening gynocological emergency and a significant cause of maternal morbidity. The medical treatment is abortion,
We believe progress is made through MORE discussion, not LESS, and we believe that to be true even if the topics are uncomfortable and we occasionally disagree with one another. - TexAgs
The name-calling technique making false associations is a child's game. The propagandist who uses this technique hopes that the audience will reject a person and their argument on this false basis.
cecil77
AG
An ectopic pregnancy is not a viable pregnancy.

Specious example.
Tom Doniphon
More lying bull ****
Boo Weekley
Carolin_Gallego said:

It's not a rare occurrence if it happens at a rate of 1 in 50 pregnancies. Ectopic pregnancies are a life-threatening gynocological emergency and a significant cause of maternal morbidity. The medical treatment is abortion,
It's an extreme example because what are the changes of a fetus surviving an ectopic pregnancy? Has it ever happened in the history of man? One in a billion? Also, while fatal, it's not certain death as you make it out to be.

Lastly, I don't know a single conservative who doesn't see this as treating a miscarriage. Christians and Christian doctors aren't refusing to help women here. So why bring it up in debate? It signals desperation.
Tanya 93
Carolin_Gallego said:

It is actually 1-2 out of every 1000 pregnancies
And if you have one, you are more likely to have another one

Do not make **** up to justify abortion on demand
Marcus Brutus
Oh looky, the woke white liberal boboguitar trying to discredit one of the founders in the eyes of conservatives.

He was also a racist, Mr white woke Lib. They all were.

So f'ing what.
Tanya 93
Boo Weekley said:

Carolin_Gallego said:

It's an extreme example because what are the changes of a fetus surviving an ectopic pregnancy? Has it ever happened in the history of man? One in a billion? Also, while fatal, it's not certain death as you make it out to be.

Lastly, I don't know a single conservative who doesn't see this as treating a miscarriage. Christians and Christian doctors aren't refusing to help women here. So why bring it up in debate? It signals desperation.
Yes

I think there have been 2-3, and they were recent, that have survived as a micropreemie
Carolin_Gallego
Tanya 93 said:

Carolin_Gallego said:

Ectopic pregnancy occurs at a rate of 19.7 cases per 1,000 pregnancies in North America and is a leading cause of maternal mortality in the first trimester.
Ellis Wyatt
Carolin_Gallego said:

It's not a baby (and you know this) and in Franklin's time people did not believe ensoulment happened at conception for it to be considered murder. That extreme position is a more modern concept that Republicans propagandized for our culture wars.
They had also never seen an ultrasound.
Tom Kazansky 2012
AG
boboguitar said:

https://www.npr.org/2022/05/18/1099542962/abortion-ben-franklin-roe-wade-supreme-court-leak
Science and our understanding of children/babies in the womb have changed significantly since 1973 RvW. Ultrasounds weren't even available in most hospitals at the time.

Science has evolved immensely since Ben Franklin.

Why is this so hard to figure out? It is like the left is intentionally muddying the waters so they can continue their unquenchable blood lust for murdering babies.
FriskyGardenGnome
AG
Carolin_Gallego said:

Even Planned Parenthood refers to them as rare at the 2:100 occurrence you cite.
Ellis Wyatt
Quote:

I am just saying this was easily available if a woman believed she was pregnant and did not want another
The midwife knowing about this had a cover
For that matter, dousing someone with gasoline and lighting them on fire could also terminate a pregnancy. Pretty sure not too many people would advocate for that. At least no one sane.
94chem
The most prominent member of the Southern Baptist Convention and former president, W. A. Criswell, was in favor of Roe v. Wade, and stated the following:

Quote:

I have always felt that it was only after a child was born and had a life separate from its mother that it became an individual person, and it has always, therefore, seemed to me that what is best for the mother and for the future should be allowed."

As with the paragraph excerpted from Ben Franklin, this is very interesting history...but what does it have to do with whether or not killing an unborn baby is, has been, or should be a constitutional right? That's correct - absolutely nothing.
Boo Weekley
Tanya 93 said:

Boo Weekley said:

Carolin_Gallego said:

Yes

I think there have been 2-3, and they were recent, that have survived as a micropreemie
That is crazy, knowing what I know about ectopic pregnancies, I won't even pretend to understand how that is possible. I wonder if it was completely ectopic or if there were special circumstances involved?

Either way, survival is freakishly rare and complications threatening the woman's health in these cases much more common...and virtually NO ONE considers this an actual abortion, at least in the context society is debating right now.
Tanya 93
Carolin_Gallego said:

Tanya 93 said:

Carolin_Gallego said:

Ectopic pregnancy occurs at a rate of 19.7 cases per 1,000 pregnancies in North America and is a leading cause of maternal mortality in the first trimester.
The group I work with had a different percentage

but thank you
Tom Kazansky 2012
AG
Carolin_Gallego said:

Are you ok with outright banning abortions outside of ectopic pregnancies, rape, and incest?
Ellis Wyatt
94chem said:

The most prominent member of the Southern Baptist Convention and former president, W. A. Criswell, was in favor of Roe v. Wade, and stated the following:

Quote:

I have always felt that it was only after a child was born and had a life separate from its mother that it became an individual person, and it has always, therefore, seemed to me that what is best for the mother and for the future should be allowed."

I know plenty of Baptists and Methodists and Catholics and atheists who hold repugnant views.
Boo Weekley
94chem said:

Quote:

As with the paragraph excerpted from Ben Franklin, this is very interesting history...but what does it have to do with whether or not killing an unborn baby is, has been, or should be a constitutional right? That's correct - absolutely nothing.
Man, no offense to Baptists on here (I have nothing but love), but that is a truly f***ed up take. I am guessing he'd be fine with killing a crying baby in a medical room as long as the umbilical cord is still attached? Or at the very least, minutes before it breaches (is that any different?)? There are some truly sick and stupid people in this world. That guy is a monster.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.