Patrick McGuinness vs Caroline Harris for State Rep (Rep Primary)

1,942 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by DD88
Ferg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Which one is the real conservative?

Asking the board because you know stuff.
discobrob
AG
I know Caroline personally. She's the real deal. I do not know mr mcguiness. Do you have questions on specific issues?
Ferg
discobrob said:

I know Caroline personally. She's the real deal. I do not know mr mcguiness. Do you have questions on specific issues?
They are both sending out flyers trying to show they are more to the right than the other.

Where is she on all the woke stuff the schools are trying to hit the kids with.
discobrob
AG
As far away from that garbage as you could be.
DD88
AG
They are both conservative on the issues.

Harris has the Abbott endorsement and McGuinness has the Ted Cruz endorsement.

The biggest distinction is that McGuinness has been working in high tech for 30 years with a B.S./M.S. in Electrical Engineering and Ph.D. in Computer Science which should bring a different perspective even though he's been active at the grassroots level.

Harris was a staffer for Bryan Hughes since graduating, so she's accustomed to the inside political game if that's what you prefer.

I've known McGuinness for about 20 years and can attest to his conservative credentials.
discobrob
AG
That's fair. I know Caroline and cannot speak for the other gentleman. She's as sharp as they come.
Ferg
So the only bad thing I've seen is a flyer sent out saying that Harris has liberal donors.

It didnt seem to say who sent it.

So is that a bad mark against Harris or McGuinness for sending it out(assuming he did)?
discobrob
AG
I did see that too. Hard for me as a friend to put up with garbage like that but she just takes it in stride as part of the territory.
DD88
AG
Ferg said:

So the only bad thing I've seen is a flyer sent out saying that Harris has liberal donors.

So is that a bad mark against Harris or McGuinness for sending it out(assuming he did)?

Pat did mention that there was some group sending out stuff that he had no affiliation with. If it's not from the candidates themselves, you should ignore it (or at least investigate it before believing it).

The Travis County Republican Party actually rebuked some Massachusetts group for lying about Troxclair's record in that runoff. They wanted to stay away from an endorsements, but voted to call out that false attack.
https://traviscountygop.org/news/resolution-opposing-misleading-pac-attacks
discobrob
AG
I was going to let this thread die, but I just found out that Mr. McGuinness has spent $150k in negative ads and had to resurrect it. Caroline has yet to go negative, which shows a tremendous amount of character. Especially when the negative ads are filled with half-truths. Assuming I didn't misunderstand, I've lost respect for Caroline's opponent who can't seem to separate himself without going negative.
HTownAg98
DD88 said:

Ferg said:

Pat did mention that there was some group sending out stuff that he had no affiliation with. If it's not from the candidates themselves, you should ignore it (or at least investigate it before believing it).

The Travis County Republican Party actually rebuked some Massachusetts group for lying about Troxclair's record in that runoff. They wanted to stay away from an endorsements, but voted to call out that false attack.
https://traviscountygop.org/news/resolution-opposing-misleading-pac-attacks
I've been getting them as well. It's coming from the Defend Texas Liberty PAC (they have to say that on the items). It's the same group that backed Huffhines. Instead of putting out information on why to vote for McGuinness, they went negative on Harris.
DD88
AG
I'm not sure why Defend Texas Liberty PAC is even involved in this particular race unless it's a reaction to Dade Phelan's endorsement of Harris. The one flyer that I've seen posted is pretty lame claiming that some of Harris' donors also donated to liberal candidates.
discobrob
AG
Because the candidates are basically the same on the issues? I'm not certain either.
DD88
AG
It looks like Harris' consultants formed a PAC in February and went negative.

Bringing out quotes from a 2016 primary where a plurality(44%) of Texans supported Cruz.
Then a protest vote in the primaries against Abbott for his mandates.
While fully supporting all Republican candidates in the general elections.

McGuinness had nothing to do with the negative ads on Harris from Stickland's PAC, so if you want to blame a campaign for going negative, there is a much stronger link to Harris.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.