Bin Laden's seized letters

4,576 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by txags92
ABATTBQ11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Some interesting stuff here

Bin Laden was indeed shocked at America's reaction. He assumed a Bill Clinton response. Instead he got George Bush's.

Quote:

The letters were declassified by the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency in 2017. Lahoud has been studying the documents 'line by line' for several years.

The scholar argued bin Laden was surprised at America's reaction to the series of airline hijackings that took the lives of nearly 3,000 people on September 11, 2001.

'Al Qaeda did not anticipate that the United States would go to war,' Lahoud said of bin Laden's letters.

He reportedly thought the U.S. would respond with a 'limited airstrike,' but did not suspect it 'would go beyond that.'

She claims that as war ravaged in Afghanistan, bin Laden detailed how he had anticipated the American people to respond to the violent attacks.

'He thought that the American people would take to the streets, replicate the anti-Vietnam war protests and they would put pressure on their government to withdraw from Muslim majority states,' she explained.

The war in Afghanistan gutted al Qaeda. As expensive and unpopular as it was, it was effective.

Quote:

Lahoud claimed Al Qaeda was 'gutted by the war' and had become 'incapacitated'.'

'The weakness, failure, and aimlessness that befell us were harrowing. We Muslims were defiled and desecrated. Our state was ripped asunder, our lands were occupied, our resources were plundered,' a young Al Qaeda associated named Tawfiq wrote to bin Laden at the time.

'I'm gonna tell you the truth as it is. And I know that some of the brothers here are not telling you everything in detail because they don't want to upset you, particularly because of the delicate situations in which you find yourself with…'

Tawfiq was likely referring to the 'delicate situation' of bin Laden's life in hiding, Lahoud explained.

And there's this gem about Biden...

Quote:

It was previously revealed that the terrorist had urged followers to assassinate Obama as a way of disrupting the 2012 presidential election.

He also banned al Qaeda from assassinating Joe Biden because he believed the Democrat would become an incompetent president and 'lead the US into a crisis' if jihadists were successful in killing Barack Obama.

Bin Laden penned the 48-page missive in May 2010 to an aide identified as 'Brother Shaykh Mahmud', real name Atiyah Abd al-Rahman. In it, he discusses the need to direct resources away from terror attacks in other Muslim countries and instead focus on direct attacks against the U.S.

On page 36, he outlines his desire to form two hit squads - one in Pakistan and another in Afghanistan - whose job it will be to plot attacks against then-President Barack Obama and ex-CIA director David Petraeus, should they visit either country.

Giving his reasoning for attacking Obama, he says: 'Obama is the head of infidelity and killing him automatically will make Biden take over the presidency for the remainder of the term, as it is the norm over there.

'Biden is totally unprepared for that post, which will lead the US into a crisis.'

Biz Ag
AG
Saw the piece on 60 Minutes last night. Very interesting indeed.
Panama Red
AG
Was he just not very bright?

I don't know how anyone would possibly think the US would just do some limited air strikes in the face of something so far beyond any previous terror attack.
BaileyAg
AG
So wrong on Bush and so right on Biden.
Strange
policywonk98
AG
Just think. That Biden assessment is likely one that exists inside an intelligence briefing of every country's state department equivalent on the planet.
Ag87H2O
AG
Crazy how everyone on the planet understood how utterly incompetent Biden was and is. Unfortunately it tells you how powerful the MSM has become. 2020 shouldn't have even been close. Certainly not close enough for their cheating to make a difference.
cisgenderedAggie
YouBet
AG
policywonk98 said:

Just think. That Biden assessment is likely one that exists inside an intelligence briefing of every country's state department equivalent on the planet.
Even the guy living in a cave got it right.
LOYAL AG
AG
There really wasn't anything in recent American politics suggesting we would respond with the military action that we responded with. The Clinton approach had been to handle these things as a criminal matter rather than a military one. He had no way of knowing if W would be different than Clinton in that regard but up to that point in history we had not experienced terrorism really at all and what little we had was under Clinton. I don't think that's an illogical conclusion on his part given what we knew at that time.

Having said that I remember going to work that morning and telling coworkers we were going to invade, take over and occupy Afghanistan at a minimum. I remember telling coworkers that morning that the price for a foreign government sponsoring terrorism on our soil had to be removal from power. I'm not saying the response was completely unexpected just that to someone studying us from afar it's not surprising they didn't get it right.
Aggie4Life02
AG
Not sure I believe anything put out as Osama's writings from the media.
BCG Disciple
AG
Feel like he was probably about 20 years early in judging a meek response to killing 5k Americans.
Gigem314
AG
Even bin Laden knew that Biden was a weak, empty, leader.
SJEAg
AG
I think even Clinton would have gone all-in or it would have been political suicide. Even most liberals at the time were screaming for blood. Bin Laden didn't foresee he'd be so successful in killing thousands, but once that happened it was a foregone conclusion.
MouthBQ98
AG
He didn't really understand American history.

We went war with Spain over the Maine explosion, which was probably an accident. We went to war with Germany over sinking a couple of ships with torpedos.
We went to war with Japan for Pearl Harbor. We got entangled in Korea and Vietnam over much less than even that.

A bunch of Americans get killed by a foreign entity, and we tend to be pretty relentlessly vengeful if we can identify who it was.

Notable exception: Beirut barracks bombing. We vented rage with some aerial and naval bombardment but I guess we couldn't identify who to go to war with, precisely, at the time.
TheHulkster
AG
Aggie4Life02 said:

Why?

Because jet fuel can't melt steel beams and WTC7 was a controlled demolition and Israeli agents had foreknowledge of the attacks?
Decay
AG
In retrospect, assuming the neocons wouldn't push for war was pretty stupid
Aggie4Life02
AG
TheHulkster said:

Aggie4Life02 said:

Why?

Because jet fuel can't melt steel beams and WTC7 was a controlled demolition and Israeli agents had foreknowledge of the attacks?

No, because the media are liars.
Ciboag96
It's 2022 and the laughing stock of the world for several decades is our President. The greatest and most powerful country on the planet is led by a senile buffoon.

****ing A.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Panama Red said:

I don't know how anyone would possibly think the US would just do some limited air strikes in the face of something so far beyond any previous terror attack.

Because that was the reaction from the previous 8 years. Bill Clinton ruined the reputation of this country with his soft stances on foreign policy and focus on domestic politics. It was basically an afterthought that's been biting us in the ass for the last 20 years.

Bin Laden looked at recent history (Clinton's terrorism responses, Somalia, Vietnam protests, reaction to Iraq "highway of death" in US media, etc) and American liberals and came to the conclusion that the US did not have the stomach for war and violence, and that attacks on US soil would cower Americans and politicians. He's the perfect example of why projecting strong power and being willing to get dirty are necessary tools in diplomacy. Without them, no one takes soft power and words seriously, and the real ***holes of the world think violence will be enough to push you around.
Daddy
AG
Dems are setting up to remove biden
Hes destroying anything they have to salvage
The Return of the Fightin' Texas Aggies
coconutED
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

Bin Laden looked at recent history (Clinton's terrorism responses, Somalia, Vietnam protests, reaction to Iraq "highway of death" in US media, etc) and American liberals and came to the conclusion that the US did not have the stomach for war and violence, and that attacks on US soil would cower Americans and politicians. He's the perfect example of why projecting strong power and being willing to get dirty are necessary tools in diplomacy. Without them, no one takes soft power and words seriously, and the real ***holes of the world think violence will be enough to push you around.

But none of those were close to the scope and scale of 9/11 and took place mostly overseas, far away from American Soil. The closest previous attack that compares to 9/11 is Pearl Harbor...and we all know what we did to Japan after that. Even though 60 years had passed, you'd think that would give anybody pause.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Daddy said:

Nope. Harris would be even worse. She'd ruin any hope of future diversity candidates and would be just as if not more unpopular and incompetent. They'd have to remove both, and that's not happening.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
YouBet said:

Even the guy living in a cave got it right.
agz win
AG
SJEAg said:

I think even Clinton would have gone all-in or it would have been political suicide. Even most liberals at the time were screaming for blood. Bin Laden didn't foresee he'd be so successful in killing thousands, but once that happened it was a foregone conclusion.
Any president would've gone all in under those circumstances.
FrioAg 00
AG
So we defeated them, surprising them with our patriotism and resolve….

Only to carry out his anti-American vision ourselves by electing Joe anyway
AggieGunslinger
AG
So obvious a caveman could see it.

#geico
ABATTBQ11
AG
coconutED said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

But none of those were close to the scope and scale of 9/11 and took place mostly overseas, far away from American Soil. The closest previous attack that compares to 9/11 is Pearl Harbor...and we all know what we did to Japan after that. Even though 60 years had passed, you'd think that would give anybody pause.

That's ex post reasoning though. Prior to 9/11, there was no understanding of the scale of the attack. It could have been much smaller or much larger.

Despite most of those being small in scale and/or overseas, American reactions and culture had moved to a point where nothing was moving the needle towards aggressive action. Protests had ended the Vietnam war and there were even large scale protests against Desert Storm, which turned into a very limited conflict, all things considered. Despite bombing US embassies, the WTC, and the USS Cole, no real action had been taken at all by the US to combat Muslim fundamentalists. A US withdrawal after 9/11 was certainly a reasonable conclusion given all available evidence at the time.
The Catalyst
AG
Did you know that 9/11 is .81 repeating? Coincidence?
Showertime at the Bidens

Sorry but I can't believe anything at face value. How do I know this isn't the neocons fabricating a story that they can use later when they want to invade the next country?

"See how right we were about Afghanistan!!!"
Panama Red
AG
Quote:

Because that was the reaction from the previous 8 years. Bill Clinton ruined the reputation of this country with his soft stances on foreign policy and focus on domestic politics. It was basically an afterthought that's been biting us in the ass for the last 20 years.
I get that, but its a matter of scale. 9/11 was far beyond anything that happened in the 90s under Clinton.
nortex97
AG
Panama Red said:

He was absolutely an idiot, borderline moron. If I had to guess his IQ was likely in the 80's.

He also strangely got Biden right. Pretty ironic.
amercer
AG
Panama Red said:

Quote:

I get that, but its a matter of scale. 9/11 was far beyond anything that happened in the 90s under Clinton.

He probably didn't think they would kill 3000 people. I'm not sure we go to war if it was just the 4 planes going down. Wrecking Manhattan is a different thing though.
TexAgs91
AG
Panama Red said:

What would Gore have done? If the dems were in charge, it could very well have been a few limited air strikes.
America the Beautiful
1776 - 2020
TexAgs91
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

Daddy said:

Nope. Harris would be even worse. She'd ruin any hope of future diversity candidates and would be just as if not more unpopular and incompetent. They'd have to remove both, and that's not happening.
It doesn't work that way. Obama should have ruined any hope of future diversity candidates. Now we have Harris and others just keep coming.
America the Beautiful
1776 - 2020
TexAgs91
AG
agz win said:

SJEAg said:

Any president should've gone all in under those circumstances.
FIFY

Biden wouldn't. Obama would go through the motions but there would be no teeth. Gore probably wouldn't.
America the Beautiful
1776 - 2020
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.