I will never buy an electric powered vehicle.

270,558 Views | 5127 Replies | Last: 21 hrs ago by nortex97
aggiehawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The reason why is The Hubs has a hard time keeping the lake house golf cart charged, all of his tools charged.

We have multiple 200 amps drops on the ranch. But keeping that many things charged even on a trickle cell does not work forever. They die.

Until battery tech makes a HUGE advancement, EVs are futile.

Now, tell me why I am wrong.
nortex97
AG
Nope. Very smart.

Not a Bot
AG
Battery tech isn't there yet for it to make sense. I do think we will get there at some point. Have to figure out a way to not rely so much on the rare earth metals. There are some technologies on the way, but not nearly developed enough.
Goodnight Irene
AG
I saw a Tesla while driving around Austin today with the vanity plate "sun run". You just need to leave it in the sun and it will charge up like that ladies
neAGle96
AG
Also, electric generation isn't clean. Even wind power is dirtier than natural gas
WBBQ74
AG
You are correct. A golf cart works for the golf course. It gets to charge up all night and putter around for a couple of hours on a 7200 YD or about 4 mile pathway. A $75K EV is not much better than a glorified golf cart and just doesn't work for most folks in Texas. Unless you are only going to drive it a few miles to work and back each day, and have a place in the garage to charge it up every night. Just because the Green Fairy says it is so does not make it such. Only the heavy hand of government can 'make' EVs attractive financially, at least somewhat. The market is not ready and the electric power grid damn sure ain't ready for millions of EVs sucking up the Kw's.
GAC06
AG
You are wrong because battery tech has already advanced significantly from the stuff you mentioned. But the good news is no one is forcing you to buy an EV.

You mentioned a ranch so it may not be a great fit for you. For people that live in cities (most people) EV's offer significant advantages over ICE vehicles
94AGBQ
AG
I'll buy an electric car when I can get 500 miles on a full charge and it only takes 10 minutes to charge completely at a station when I'm on the road.
aggiehawg
AG
I just cannot see EVs working for a large population unless large metro populations ban private ownership of vehicles with ICE and force them to only use public transport that does not include ICE.

ICE being internal combustion engines. Motors are supposed to be electric, except boat motors, other than trolling motors. Never understood that weird dichotomy. Drove my Dad nuts when I would ask about that.
nortex97
AG
GAC06 said:

You are wrong because battery tech has already advanced significantly from the stuff you mentioned. But the good news is no one is forcing you to buy an EV.

You mentioned a ranch so it may not be a great fit for you. For people that live in cities (most people) EV's offer significant advantages over ICE vehicles
The bad news is that is changing, per the law Washington is now passing banning new gas cars after 2030.

The worse news is that every BEV is a wealth/power transfer to China, as they own the refining/precious metals required. It also adds to the strain on the electric grid as infrastructure is needed for the last mile.

Also, batter tech may have advanced (it has), but it is still not 'dry' and almost no BEV batteries are recycled. In short, BEV's are terrible, on a life cycle basis, for the economy.
aggiehawg
AG
GAC06 said:

Name them. TIA.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Plug in hybrid is the way to go. Bought a Prius Prime for son a month ago. School is 8 miles away. We have solar panels.

We filled up the prius once and it's still at 3/4 tank.
Rapier108
You will rent one and you will like it.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
dmart90
AG
Just got back from a car dealership. Looking at SUVs. A hybrid SUV is $10k more than a gas powered engine. At $4 a gallon - that's a 5-10 year ROI (depending on how much you drive)...
GAC06
AG
Something like a Tesla outperforms most cars on the road as far as speed and acceleration. They are very quiet. More storage space. You would never need to stop at a gas station again. The car charges at home and is ready every day. You save money on gas, especially now when gas is high. There are theoretical advantages as far as upkeep and maintenance since there are far less moving parts, plus less consumables like oil, oil filter, air filter, fluids.
GAC06
AG
94AGBQ said:

I'll buy an electric car when I can get 500 miles on a full charge and it only takes 10 minutes to charge completely at a station when I'm on the road.

My car could do maybe 375 miles without stopping (all highway). How many times have you travelled 500 miles, stopped for ten minutes, then travelled another 500 miles?
AggieDruggist89
AG
GAC06 said:

94AGBQ said:

My car could do maybe 375 miles without stopping (all highway). How many times have you travelled 500 miles, stopped for ten minutes, then travelled another 500 miles?

All the time. My minivan, 21 gallon tank, 26 to 28 mpg.
nortex97
AG
Do you care about the planet and slavery?

BigRobSA
GAC06 said:

94AGBQ said:

Probably a hundred. Why?
"The Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution was never designed to restrain the people. It was designed to restrain the government."
GAC06
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

GAC06 said:

94AGBQ said:

1000 miles at an average of 70mph is 14 hours 20 mins. Add your ten minute stop and it's 14 and a half hours. You drive 14 and a half hours with only one ten minute break "all the time"? That sounds awful and extremely unusual.
94AGBQ
AG
GAC06 said:

94AGBQ said:

Plenty of times in my adult life. But that's not what I'm getting at. I want something that can get me 500 miles of range without refueling. (Yes I have that now). I also want to be able to fuel up in roughly 10 minutes. I never said I wanted to drive 1000 miles with a 10 minute pit stop in the middle.
agent-maroon
AG
Transition from fossil fueled power generation into nuclear and then we'll talk. Until then it's just a shell game hiding where the emissions are actually going into the atmosphere.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
GAC06
AG
EV's can't currently do that so you should probably stick with whatever you currently have. However that's not a relevant metric for 99% of people's vehicle needs.
AggieDruggist89
AG
GAC06 said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

GAC06 said:

94AGBQ said:

1000 miles at an average of 70mph is 14 hours 20 mins. Add your ten minute stop and it's 14 and a half hours. You drive 14 and a half hours with only one ten minute break "all the time"? That sounds awful and extremely unusual.

I just did cross country from CA to VA over 4 days, almost 3000 miles, minivan packed with my stuff. Before this, I used to work in Central CA but home in Northern Cal 370 miles away and commuted twice week. Typically never stopped unless I had to fill up or pit stop. Never more than 5 to 10 min. Can't do what I do in a Tesla.
94AGBQ
AG
Really? Most people don't want a 10 minute fueling time? The distance is arguable but most people would probably expect roughly 400 miles on a tank. I don't think I'm the one being unrealistic here.
GAC06
AG
If you want to base your car decisions on the possibility of being slightly inconvenienced in the event you need to make a 3000 mile trip, that's your prerogative
baseballaficionado
We were at an HEB in Hutto the other day, getting gas. They have the Tesla charging stations close to the toll road. As we pull out, my wife was asking me what they do while they're waiting? I told her to look at the drivers. They are on laptops, sleeping, etc.

Outside of being anti climate, they are a huge burden on the owner. You can keep that ****, even as much as Elon has grown on me.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Like I said before, we have a plug in hybrid and over 40 solar panels. PG&E in my area during peak hours is over 45 cents per kwh. So when we did the math for the plug in prius, gas was cheaper. So we only charge during solar is kicking.

We also have another prius for daughter.

I won't buy an EV. Not now. **** no.
combat wombat™
AG
GAC06 said:

Something like a Tesla outperforms most cars on the road as far as speed and acceleration. They are very quiet. More storage space. You would never need to stop at a gas station again. The car charges at home and is ready every day. You save money on gas, especially now when gas is high. There are theoretical advantages as far as upkeep and maintenance since there are far less moving parts, plus less consumables like oil, oil filter, air filter, fluids.

Take one on the cross country road trip and tell me how that works out for you.
GAC06
AG
The flip side is that for 99% of the vehicle's use you would never need to stop. Battery tech has already reached the level that the road trips I've done are within the capability of current EV's with maybe 20 minutes added. I've had my current car since 2017 and I've done two road trips. One Dallas to New Orleans and one Dallas to Oxford to see us lose. My gas V-8 worked fine but a Tesla would have been fine too.
AggieDruggist89
AG
GAC06 said:

If you want to base your car decisions on the possibility of being slightly inconvenienced in the event you need to make a 3000 mile trip, that's your prerogative

And 370 mile one way trip to work. You don't understand everyone's situation. Just because it works for you doesn't mean it works for others. I also like minivans. It can carry 4 guys, 4 sets if golf clubs and 4 luggage and a few coolers for golf outing. You can't in a Tesla.
Rexter
If solar inductive paint and regenerative braking were feasable, it might work.
baseballaficionado
GAC06 said:

The flip side is that for 99% of the vehicle's use you would never need to stop. Battery tech has already reached the level that the road trips I've done are within the capability of current EV's with maybe 20 minutes added. I've had my current car since 2017 and I've done two road trips. One Dallas to New Orleans and one Dallas to Oxford to see us lose. My gas V-8 worked fine but a Tesla would have been fine too.

Ever heard of supply and demand? Once we are 100% EV, the electric demand will be through the damn roof. When you are paying a $1+ per kWh, let me know how great the car is.
GAC06
AG
I never claimed to understand everyone's situation. Please attempt to refute actual arguments I've made.

Here on Texags everyone commutes 500 miles uphill both ways towing a horse trailer.
agz win
AG
I was shocked this afternoon when my 82 year old major Red loving pro Rush/Donald neighbor told me he rode around in a Tesla earlier this week several times while his GOP cousin was visiting from North Carolina. He was highly impressed with his experience and the car. The cousin and wife has been road-tripping the country on a three week vacation and were returning from California. They left from here to Austin to try one of the famous BBQ places.

I can't believe my neighbor has flipped 180 on EVs.
Last Page
Page 1 of 147

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.