F16 Crash today in Louisiana

5,701 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by metrag06
TheCurl84
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So an F16 from the Oklahoma Air National Guard crashed late this morning about 50 miles south of Fort Polk in Louisiana. That seems odd that a jet from the OK ANG would be in South LA.

About an hour before the time of the crash, I heard a fighter jet fly right over my house, very low to the ground, in suburban Fort Worth. I never have fighter jets fly over my house.

I wonder if it was the same plane. Anyone know how to find out the flight path of an OK ANG plane?

Ellis Wyatt
I have seen fighter jets near Fort Hood recently. It is clear to me that they are training for potential war in Europe.
The Last Cobra Commander
AG
Not odd at all. Polk is the home of JRTC. Not sure if anyone is in the box right now but it's likely it was there to provide support for a rotational unit. A US fighter flying in/around any military installation, regardless of state, is extremely normal. Here in TX I've worked with support aircraft from all over the country. We request support, someone picks up the request, presto… OK, LA, CO, WA, FL, just to name a few. The TXAirNG flies all over the country as well.
"The leftist is driven by something other than facts and can't be cured."
74OA
AG
UPDATE
The Last Cobra Commander
AG
I think you're being glib, but… we're always training for war.
"The leftist is driven by something other than facts and can't be cured."
TxTarpon
Did the woke mob shoot it down?
That tail graphic is, well, you know....(all together now) RACIST!!
Clob94
I will not lie.

The headline (at first) made me think Forum 16 was down in Louisiania for some reason. Then after that split second, my "duh" light went off.

Hope the pilot is OK.
FIDO*98*
AG
Beat me to it
aggiedent
AG
Yeah, not odd at all. Even ANG units fly training missions all across the country.
MasonB
AG
Pilot who ejected is from the Drummond family. He is dad is running for AG.

t_J_e_C_x
AG
TheCurl84 said:

So an F16 from the Oklahoma Air National Guard crashed late this morning about 50 miles south of Fort Polk in Louisiana. That seems odd that a jet from the OK ANG would be in South LA.

About an hour before the time of the crash, I heard a fighter jet fly right over my house, very low to the ground, in suburban Fort Worth. I never have fighter jets fly over my house.

I wonder if it was the same plane. Anyone know how to find out the flight path of an OK ANG plane?

Heard a jet over Grapevine. Absolutely rattled the office as it passed over head, felt like it was just above my head.
C/O 2013 - Company E2
leachfan
TheCurl84 said:

When I was in Ft Worth, it would be odd not to hear a fighter jet.
MasonB
AG
Quote:

Hope the pilot is OK.

His dad says he is getting excellent care and will fully recover.
Guy on a Buffalo
AG
FIDO*98* said:

Beat me to it

Same. I need to make some real friends.

-----------------------
Truth without love is brutality. Love without truth is compromise.
AgBQ-00
AG
Pathfinder&Outlander said:

TheCurl84 said:

Heard a jet over Grapevine. Absolutely rattled the office as it passed over head, felt like it was just above my head.
You do not have a soul. You are a soul that has a body.

We sing Hallelujah! The Lamb has overcome!
Get Off My Lawn
leachfan said:

TheCurl84 said:

Yeah - the place sprawls so it's possible to be in Fort Worth and not near JRB FW (formerly Carswell), but a new F-35 comes of that runway every couple days now and it's a rare day not to have fighters during the day and C-130s in the afternoon.
mosdefn14
AG
I live a mile or two south of the JRB runway, and our house shakes constantly. Pretty sure there's a 16 ANG wing here on top of the 16s from the factory, plus the 35s training/testing/going out for delivery. I swear I see some 18s every now and then, and they seem the loudest.

The 16s were doing some weird stuff today, flying really low and doing very tight circles. Kind of neat to watch.
AgBQ-00
AG
Don't forget about the t38s, f16, f18s c130s that are constantly flying in and out of Alliance as well
You do not have a soul. You are a soul that has a body.

We sing Hallelujah! The Lamb has overcome!
01agtx
AG
I believe several Aggies from the Oklahoma Air National Guard did one of the flyovers this past season.
Love Gun
We used to call Harriers, "Carolina Lawn Darts" when I was at Cherry Point, NC. I remember an F-18 crashed short of the runway at Miramar and went right into a neighborhood. Killed some poor sap that was just sitting in his living room.

I've got 170 hours as a CH-53E gunner. You learn how to block out that fear, and accept reality: Planes crash. People die.

Unfortunately, if you live near a military base, it's the price of freedom
B-1 83
AG
Ellis Wyatt said:

I have seen fighter jets near Fort Hood recently. It is clear to me that they are training for potential war in Europe.
Noticed that today…….confused it with a Space X test for a minute
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
JB!98
AG
I saw a two ship of F-16's today flying a loose trail north of Pleasanton today followed by a C-5 and a C-17 a while later. Obviously, WWIII is imminent.
Today, unfortunately, many Americans have good reason to fear that they will be victimized if they are unable to protect themselves. And today, no less than in 1791, the Second Amendment guarantees their right to do so. - Justice Samuel Alito 2022
TheCurl84
AG
leachfan said:

TheCurl84 said:

Yeah but not flying that low over Colleyville
CanyonAg77
AG
Glad he survived with minor injuries.

As far as the activity, I suspect that there isn't really a heightened level of activity. My opinion is that most people don't pay attention to planes, but the current situation has everyone on alert.

In some ways, you really don't want to do a lot of extra training if you think you're going to deploy. Jets break, and extra training helps them break.

Obviously, some extra training does happen as they 'spin up' for deployment.

And I really don't have any insight to upcoming deployments. I don't know of any scheduled. But I suspect a certain number of aircraft/squadrons are probably on standby all the time anyway. And some are routinely deployed.

Shaw AFB has a squadron in the Middle East right now (their PR people have published photos, so I am not speaking out of turn). They were sent long before the current crisis.
Ellis Wyatt
I've lived close to Fort Hood most of my nearly 50 years. Transport planes are around here all the time. Fighter jets aren't really common. They're only here from time to time.
geoag58
RK
AG
Tons of fighters and some cargo planes around Pensacola area last week.
Aggiemike96
AG
01agtx said:

I believe several Aggies from the Oklahoma Air National Guard did one of the flyovers this past season.

Correct. The lead was my roommate.

Edit: It was the UNM game in September.
Aggiemike96
AG
RK said:

F16 Training at Eglin a few miles away. No surprise you saw fighters.
CanyonAg77
AG
Aggiemike96 said:

RK said:

I thought Eglin was F-22 and F-35. I know I saw a lot when we were in the area a few years ago.

Of course, units based elsewhere could be training in Eglin airspace occasionally.
TheCougarHunter
AG
leachfan said:

TheCurl84 said:

Maybe because there's a fighter jet base in Ft Worth?
Aggiemike96
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Aggiemike96 said:

RK said:

I thought Eglin was F-22 and F-35. I know I saw a lot when we were in the area a few years ago.

Of course, units based elsewhere could be training in Eglin airspace occasionally.

I know you know an F16 pilot, so you know more than me. My roommate trained F16 at Eglin early 2000s, however.
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

My roommate trained F16 at Eglin early 2000s, however.
I'm fairly sure there are a lot fewer F-16 bases now than in 2000. I believe Eglin has the newer planes. Eglin does a lot of research, so they get the cutting edge stuff.
metrag06
AG
Doubt it was the same one - heard it also and looked it up on ADSB-Ex. Was headed back to NAS FW after circling Jerry World / Globe Life. My guess is someone scoping out the route for opening day flyover in a couple weeks - they pass over us each year for that in a very similar path.
birddog7000
AG
So do you expect a plane that cruises at 575 mph to ping pong around OK like they are stuck in a box? Sum***** needs to stretch his legs a bit.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.