Texan fighting alongside Russia

7,945 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by RGV AG
RGV AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
baseballaficionado said:

RGV AG said:

I tend to not believe all, or most, journalistic stuff. In that TM article, or in something else written about him, it states that a motivation for his fleeing to the Donbass area was being side stepped in the inheritance of the family fortune. Bonners dad is still living, last I heard. They had some money, but nothing generational.

The TM article said he was inspired by some video of a Russian lady who was killed. It even said his Dad didn't agree with him going to Russia, but drove him to the airport. I didn't see/read the article as implying his family had any connection to his radical beliefs.
Sorry, in some of the comments, or in one of the Reddit threads, a couple of people that knew him mention that he was pissed that he didn't get a bunch of family money. When he popped up on the radar doing this stuff, like 5 or 6 years ago, I ran into an old mutual friend that was closer to him than I ever was. He told me that Bonner had being going through some rough times and couldn't deal drugs, as if he were caught it was gonna be some serious hard time. Apparently something in the family happened and his brother ended up getting a decent amount of family money and he didn't and it royally PO'd him. I liked Bonner a lot more than his brother, FWIW.

Obviously the family, as those with any sense that knew him, understood that giving funds to Bonner would have a bad ending. His sister, that is mentioned in the article, married very, very well into what became a big money family business. If he had been a somewhat functional adult he could have easily had a big time job, especially in the late 80's and early 90's. Instead he was chasing spring breakers on SPI, how he met his first wife, and partying hard, very hard. The drug scene on and around SPI in the late 80's and into the 90's was something to behold, astounding quantity and quality, and very low price relative to things. He is another victim, and there were many.

The TM article has some bad and or wrong info in it, that is why I take it with a grain of salt. His dad never had a Maquiladora company, he was involved in selling oil field stuff, and had an in with PEMEX, when oil cratered so did that business. At one point they lived in Scotland. His parents opened what was probably, and still to this day, the best restaurant on South Padre Island. They did very, very well there. His parents were gracious, nice, honest, hard working, and very decent people. Bonner could have taken over that place and made big, big money.

Bonner was born into the "have it easy" tree and fell out and hit every "dumbass" branch on the way down. But, back in the day he was a nice guy and fun to be with, that is how I will always remember him.
TxTarpon
Thank you for that well written post sir.
RGV AG
AG
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13301957/russell-bentley-texas-man-missing-ukraine-putin.html

This is a sad deal really, a misguided dude is now gonna get crushed and dead in the twilight of his life in that cess pool that is Russia/Ukraine. WTF could he possibly have been thinking? Could he have been a mole of some sort? I doubt it, but with Bonner anything is within the real of possibility.
Buck Turgidson
The only good communist is a dead communist. I hope he gets shot.
one safe place
Not too surprising really, I mean a lot of people are stupid, look at how many voted for biden.

I hope his forehead catches a round.
AggieVictor10
AG
What's their Texags account name?
Old Army Metal
AG
Buck Turgidson said:

The only good communist is a dead communist. I hope he gets shot.

Good news! He got raped and shot to death!
nortex97
AG
No idea why any American would go to fight over who controls the Donbas between Nuland or Putin.

I also have no idea over why someone would celebrate someone killed there getting raped first.
doubledog
Just because you are born in Texas, does not make you a Texan.
Steinbeck wrote "Texas is a state of mind"

PlaneCrashGuy
AG
It takes a small man to celebrate such barbarity. Gross.
RGV AG
AG
For all he was and wasn't, Bonner didn't deserve that kind of death. If you read the rolling stone article about him, it is fairly accurate about his travels and travails through life. He was most certainly a character and fun and interesting dude to have brews, drinks, and partake with.

He was also an honorably discharged US Army veteran and when I knew him he was an oft toking, hard partying, free spirit that was very proud of the USA and of the US military.

I am going to say a prayer for him tonight, for all his faults the world is less colorful without Bonner in it.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.