Black to white incarceration rates across the U.S.

4,682 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Guardian Angel
aggiehawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Saw this on a Rekieta feed from the other night. Relative to the Edgecomb trial, there was a contention that Wisconsin was the worst state for incarcerating more Blacks than whites.

Here's the map he put up.

Any thoughts?
Ciboag96
Democrats are the true racists. Happy to help.
Buying_time
AG
Looks like Kamala the Cacklin' VP contributed to a pretty high value for Kalifornia
Science Denier
AG
Does Wisconsin actually keep repeat criminals behind bars, or do they do like Houston and let them go free after about 5 min behind bars?

Not that it's relevant or anything.
LOL OLD
OnlyForNow
AG
More blacks get caught breaking the law in Wisc and Jersey?
Gator92
AG
Racist southern redstates...
richardag
aggiehawg said:

Saw this on a Rekieta feed from the other night. Relative to the Edgecomb trial, there was a contention that Wisconsin was the worst state for incarcerating more Blacks than whites.

Any thoughts?
I believe the Democratic run states have some splainin to do, Lucy.
Among the latter, under pretence of governing they have divided their nations into two classes, wolves and sheep.”
Thomas Jefferson, Letter to Edward Carrington, January 16, 1787
aggiehawg
AG
Science Denier said:

Does Wisconsin actually keep repeat criminals behind bars, or do they do like Houston and let them go free after about 5 min behind bars?

Not that it's relevant or anything.
Wisconsin has some strict laws on sentencing with many crimes carrying a life without parole possibility.

Don't know if that skews things or not.
PA24
AG
I am for locking up criminals no matter the color. A lot of black on black crime, black on white crime, black on Asian crime. Anyone see a pattern or know why?

Year of the Germaphobe
AG
Nothing about this metric indicates that black people are not committing crime in the area at a higher rate than others.

Whay if we dig into those numbers and find out that 95% of everyone convicted got what they deserved?
Satellite of Love
I thought it was interesting when he brought that up during the trial stream yesterday. Keep it in mind to the judge commented how diverse the jury panel was for the Edgecomb case. Trying to head off B'Ivory making statements about race post trial.
aggiehawg
AG
Satellite of Love said:

I thought it was interesting when he brought that up during the trial stream yesterday. Keep it in mind to the judge commented how diverse the jury panel was for the Edgecomb case. Trying to head of B'Ivory making statements about race post trial.
Yes but how many people will take the time or even know that the jury was NOT all white?

The Rittenhouse case was all over the news for a year and there were still people that thought Rittenhouse had shot only Black guys, not white guys.
Science Denier
AG
Year of the Germaphobe said:

Nothing about this metric indicates that black people are not committing crime in the area at a higher rate than others.

Whay if we dig into those numbers and find out that 95% of everyone convicted got what they deserved?
That's racist. You see, if a black person gets arrested, it's racist. That's why we need to defund the police, let everyone out on $0 bail, and have DA's not prosecute criminals. Arresting a black person is racist. Period. We need to fix the "law enforcement culture" or whatever that ***** in Houston is touting.
LOL OLD
_mpaul
AG
aggiehawg said:

Any thoughts?
Is it a statistically significant difference? (I don't know.)

"State X is near the bottom of all states in Category Y" has always bugged me. That doesn't tell us how bad or good the state is in the category, just a relative measure to all the other states. Texas could be 50th in "freedom," which sounds horrible, but if the other states are all objective A's and Texas is a B+, that paints a complete different picture.
_mpaul
AG
richardag said:

aggiehawg said:

Any thoughts?
I believe the Democratic run states have some splainin to do, Lucy.
Since you made the reference, great podcast on Lucille Ball's life on the third season of "The Plot Thickens."
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
PA24 said:

I am for locking up criminals no matter the color. A lot of black on black crime, black on white crime, black on Asian crime. Anyone see a pattern or know why?

I can answer this question

To all the dads on this site, do you believe that you make a difference in parenting your child?

Black men don't and won't Raise their kids. Until black men take responsibility for their kids at a rate higher than 3 out of 10 all of this is a moot point and will never change. 7 out of 10 black kids are raised without a dad. That's embarrassing.
Marcus Brutus
Detmersdislocatedshoulder said:

PA24 said:

To all the dads on this site, do you believe that you make a difference in parenting your child?

Black men don't and won't Raise their kids. Until black men take responsibility for their kids at a rate higher than 3 out of 10 all of this is a moot point and will never change. 7 out of 10 black kids are raised without a dad. That's embarrassing.

Truth.
NoahAg
SEC!
SEC!
SEC!
Let's go, Brandon!
milner79
My first thought is, I would not have guessed there were seven blacks in Maine ...
Satellite of Love
The other surprising thing was as the judge asked each juror to confirm their vote and it came out to 10-2 female to male panel. I think I read this morning is it was a 50/50 B/W panel. The judge was a badass during the whole trial and didn't put up with crap.

I liked the DA. It felt like he was straight forward and not trying to pull tricks like some other slimy ones out there.
aggiehawg
AG
Satellite of Love said:

The other surprising thing was as the judge asked each juror to confirm their vote and it came out to 10-2 female to male panel. I think I read this morning is it was a 50/50 B/W panel. The judge was a badass during the whole trial and didn't put up with crap.

I liked the DA. It felt like he was straight forward and not trying to pull tricks like some other slimy ones out there.
That DA was not only good at his job he was overly solicitous of the defense team. As much as he nearly effortlessly ripped their theory of the case to shreds, he could have had them over a barrel for their any legal missteps.

B'Ivory is not an experienced nor trained trial attorney. He sucks, in fact.
Tom Kazansky 2012
AG
Im thinking this could have to do with approaches to justice.

In red states judges throw everyone in the slammer. We appreciate this as if you **** up you deserve to be put away race/culture/nurturing be damned. No bull**** and skin color doesn't matter.

In blue states there are more contextual sneaky loophole ways to get around going to the slammer, so white people, assuming they have have better representation per capita (no idea on this, but this is how i imagine a leftist postmodernist would describe this), would be more equipped to skirt the law over a minority in blue states.

That's the only way i could describe this witnessed phenomena besides "blue states are more racist."
Satellite of Love
B'Ivory was a joke. His other attorney was not nearly as bad but still bad. B'Ivory forgot to tell Edgecomb to not say 'the gun just went off...' That pretty much killed any chance at any self defense he had.

Closing was epic by the DA, both his initial arguments and his follow up to the defense.
aggiehawg
AG
Satellite of Love said:

B'Ivory was a joke. His other attorney was not nearly as bad but still bad. B'Ivory forgot to tell Edgecomb to not say 'the gun just went off...' That pretty much killed any chance at any self defense he had.

Closing was epic by the DA, both his initial arguments and his follow up to the defense.
B'Ivory wants to be the next Ben Crump. But say what you will about Crump's politics, he is smart. B'Ivory is not smart.
Tree Hugger
AG
What's crazy is that I live in a (very) blue state (Oregon) I see so few black people that I am almost surprised when I see one, I guess they are all in jail according to this map?

This also helps explain why so many people up here are all up and about the blm movement, there isn't a "hood" or a "ghetto" here that I have seen, plenty of white trash though.
I guess people that don't have to worry about driving through the "bad" part of town just don't understand. I grew up in DFW and both of my parents grew up in East FW and my grandparent's neighborhood was pretty bad by the mid-80s, but they stayed there until about 1998 and literally the night after we began moving my grandfather out of his house, it was broken into. It was almost like the locals respected this guy that had been there since the 40s, but the instant it appeared he was gone, they went in to see what was left. In the end all they got was an old Kirby vacuum cleaner and a window unit AC, pretty much everything else was out because my parents feared something like this might happen.

UTExan
Raw data is difficult to interpret without context. For Utah, imprisonment of black people is driven by immigration (indeed, I had a hand in adding to that statistic back in the day) and overall criminal conduct. Black criminals are easier to detect in an overwhelmingly white (77.8 %) and Hispanic population (14.4 %) and have less of a community base in which to hide.

Given all that, prison populations showed overall decline 2010-2020:
"… 2010 to 2020, the imprisonment rate fell 37% among blacks; 32% among Hispanics; 32% among Asians, Native Hawaiians, and Other Pacific Islanders; 26% among whites; and 25% among American Indians and Alaska Natives."
https://bjs.ojp.gov/content/pub/pdf/p20st_sum.pdf
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
deddog
AG
aggiehawg said:

Any thoughts?
Actual numbers would be helpful.

Even though the ratio looks bad, the actual numbers of folks in prison might be small.

Also, the percentage of blacks as part of the total population would be helpful.
If Wisconsin has a higher percentage of blacks in the general population, then again, this might make sense.
deddog
AG
Detmersdislocatedshoulder said:

PA24 said:

Go to a 2nd grade classroom in a public school.
You can tell which kids are from a single parent household.
aggiehawg
AG
deddog said:

aggiehawg said:

Any thoughts?

Even though the ratio looks bad, the actual numbers of folks in prison might be small.

Also, the percentage of blacks as part of the total population would be helpful.
If Wisconsin has a higher percentage of blacks in the general population, then again, this might make sense.

Here you go. Hover over the states for a lot of that information. Link
aggiehawg
AG
Satellite of Love said:

Rekieta posted a compendium of f***-ups by the defense team. Enjoy!

Raiderjay
But......... Dems are for Blacks.......
[b][raiderjay, you need to come up to the front of the bus where I can see you in this giant mirror above my steering wheel. -Staff][/b]
deddog
AG
aggiehawg said:

deddog said:

aggiehawg said:

Any thoughts?

Here you go. Hover over the states for a lot of that information. Link
Thanks!
That is some useful info!

For those wondering, which state would you consider more racist?

Texas has roughly x7 the incarcerated population of Wisc.
240K vs 35K
Satellite of Love
I'm not sure if it was down to Milwaukee or total state but the statistic I saw was 1 in every 36 adult black male or person was in prison.
aggiehawg
AG
Satellite of Love said:

I'm not sure if it was down to Milwaukee or total state but the statistic I saw was 1 in every 36 adult black male or person was in prison.
Milwaukee is something like 38% Black to 34% white, IIRC.
Satellite of Love
I watched the highlights earlier! I saw them live when it happened. There were a lot of "OH SHEET!" moments with the judge calling both councils into chambers. TBF it was mostly the defense causing all of the issues here. Can judges reprimand lawyers or put in complaints to state licensing boards? I feel bad for the citizens of Milwaukee because B'Ivory will be representing more of its citizens in court. woof!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.