***** OFFICIAL Russia v. Ukraine *****

1,065,905 Views | 10330 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TRM
txags92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
aggiedata said:

Rossticus
Interesting.

Faustus
Malibu2 said:

Holy post deletes. Staff, in this specific case, can you confirm if the deleted posts were, in your judgment, actual Russian propaganda on our sports forum?
I doubt it was.
It didn't hit on any of the Putin talking points about Ukraine, and focused on fairly specific ones attuned to our domestic politics (immigration, gender neutral bathrooms, err, anal sex) projected as what the poster imagined young white folk in Europe ostensibly cared about.

Almost certainly a sock.

Rossticus
FamousAgg
Rossticus said:

I know all the governments are doing under the table cyber attacks, but would this be one of the first "officially sanctioned" cyber attacks?
Rossticus
Officially sanctioned and publicly announced. This is almost a dare to Putin. Not almost. It is. If he really wanted to he could construe this as an act of war. I think this signals that we may be about to start testing Vlad to see how far we can push HIM.
AlaskanAg99
AG
The real issue that could impact us are cyber attacks on our banking/energy/communication grids.

Easiest way to cause chaos in the US; turn off the power and netflicks. This place would meltdown in hours.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Saw this in my feed:

Joes
AlaskanAg99 said:

The real issue that could impact us are cyber attacks on our banking/energy/communication grids.

Easiest way to cause chaos in the US; turn off the power and netflicks. This place would meltdown in hours.
Yep. That's on my mind more than a nuclear attack.
aggiehawg
AG
Translation? What is ORDLO?
Rossticus
AlaskanAg99 said:

And that's how we get pulled in. Also draws greater American support for involvement. Most of the country would be yelling "Bomb His Ass" if they couldn't log on to Netflix.
JobSecurity
AG
There is essentially zero tactical or strategic rationale for Russia to launch any kind of large scale cyber attack on the US. They're literally about to fight a war. Maybe you could argue an impact if they went after our govt systems but not banking or anything that would impact civilians
GAC06
AG
Occupied areas of Ukraine
aggiehawg
AG
Thanks.
DTP02
AG
Rossticus said:

Officially sanctioned and publicly announced. This is almost a dare to Putin. Not almost. It is. If he really wanted to he could construe this as an act of war. I think this signals that we may be about to start testing Vlad to see how far we can push HIM.

This would be retaliatory to Russia's cyber attacks on the west, not an escalation or preemptive attack.
txags92
AG
JobSecurity said:

There is essentially zero tactical or strategic rationale for Russia to launch any kind of large scale cyber attack on the US. They're literally about to fight a war. Maybe you could argue an impact if they went after our govt systems but not banking or anything that would impact civilians
Totally agree with this. Putin has bought his Hunter Biden originals and we are going to issue sternly worded condemnations of what he does, while issuing toothless sanctions and giving Ukraine meager amounts of weapons that will be mostly ineffective by the time they arrive and are distributed (if not shipped directly into Russian occupied locations by design). Public sentiment is against any US involvement, despite our agreements with Ukraine that we would help defend them if they gave up nukes. So why would Putin do anything to change that calculus by attacking the US in any way?
jabberwalkie09
AG
JobSecurity said:

True, but I wouldn't underestimate the Russian machine to just make a general mess of things to sow discord over here. IMO there's problems at home to solve, the problems abroad will be put on the back burner. We're fixing for head into midterms.
Rossticus
DTP02 said:

Rossticus said:

This would be retaliatory to Russia's cyber attacks on the west, not an escalation or preemptive attack.
Doesn't matter how you see it rationally. Only matters how Vlad sees it. And he's denied attacking the west therefore he must behave as if this is unwarranted provocation.
Joes
txags92 said:

JobSecurity said:

Totally agree with this. Putin has bought his Hunter Biden originals and we are going to issue sternly worded condemnations of what he does, while issuing toothless sanctions and giving Ukraine meager amounts of weapons that will be mostly ineffective by the time they are and are distributed (if not shipped directly into Russian occupied locations by design). Public sentiment is against any US involvement, despite our agreements with Ukraine that we would help defend them if they gave up nukes. So why would Putin do anything to change that calculus by attacking the US in any way?
Exactly. We'll arm Russia like we did the Taliban. Might as well start sending weapons to China as well!
txags92
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

JobSecurity said:

True, but I wouldn't underestimate the Russian machine to just make a general mess of things to sow discord over here. IMO there's problems at home to solve, the problems abroad will be put on the back burner. We're fixing for head into midterms.
Vlad knows that attacking the US successfully would make Biden look even worse, which might turbocharge the red wave coming in November. Last thing he wants is a strong republican majority in the house and senate forcing Biden's hand on foreign policy.
Rossticus
txags92 said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

JobSecurity said:

Vlad knows that attacking the US successfully would make Biden look even worse, which might turbocharge the red wave coming in November. Last thing he wants is a strong republican majority in the house and senate forcing Biden's hand on foreign policy.

Not sure he's getting THAT into the weeds. If he pulls this off the way he wants then that'll all come far too late to matter.
LMCane
LMCane
based on the picture I posted above demonstrating the deployments of opposing red and blue force...

the Ukes should blast all those 5 bridges into the dnieper

at least that would slow down the massive armor force approaching from the East (heading due West) and could buy Kiev a few additional days

then move their own forces to hold the Russian/Belarus forces coming from the North around Pripyet marshes
MarkTwain
GAC06 said:

sicandtiredTXN said:

Wrec86 Ag said:

Polaris75 said:

I don't see Putin stopping until he gets to Berlin.
Wait, this is someone's serious take?

Zero chance. Russia's military is significantly stronger than Ukraine..... but they would get absolutely annihilated by any unified military force. The ONLY way they stand a chance in any major conflict would be with all of China or the US might alongside them..... and that's not happening.
Armed Forces of Ukraine
Active personnel
215,000 (2022)

Reserve personnel
250,000 (2022)

Deployed personnel
40,114 (2021)

Russia's military vastly outguns that of Ukraine, with a budget of between $40bn to $65bn. Across land, sea and air, the country boasts around 900,000 active military personnel and two million reservists.

Ukraine is now effectively landlocked when Russia took control of their only existing port on the Black Sea, and Russia already has Crimea. Ukraine has no Airforce or Navy they are surrounded and way outnumbered by far.

Go look at a map of Ukraine
What about it? Do you actually have a point or are you heel nipping?

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience" - Mark Twain
LMCane
Agthatbuilds said:

Wouldn't be a really bad idea to destroy most of the infrastructure of the country your about to invade unless absolutely necessary?

I mean, you'll need that infrastructure to handle the existing population

Hitler and Stalin, Saddam Hussein and Mao Tse Tung

all say hold my beer brother Ag
Rossticus
LMCane said:

based on the picture I posted above demonstrating the deployments of opposing red and blue force...

at least that would slow down the massive armor force approaching from the East (heading due West) and could buy Kiev a few additional days

then move their own forces to hold the Russian/Belarus forces coming from the North around Pripyet marshes

With adequate (and not necessarily tremendous) reinforcement and support, Russia could be stalemated at the Dnieper.

You lose 40% of Ukraine and they shell the hell out of Kyiv but then you're in prime position to play the long game with international support. You have some questions about rebuffing forces from Belarus but that's easier than the alternative.
LMCane
if the Russkies really have 1100 tanks about to invade...

that is more tanks than we probably have in the entire US Army inventory!
GAC06
AG
How many ports do you see?
LMCane
Rossticus said:

LMCane said:

With adequate (and not necessarily tremendous) reinforcement and support, Russia could be stalemated at the Dnieper. You lose 40% of Ukraine but then you're in prime position to play the long game with international support.

except if the Russian and Belarus just penetrate due south from their current positions 40 miles north of Kyiv
MarkTwain
Rossticus said:

When you are actually going to do something you do it not announce it

BS from the UK
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience" - Mark Twain
txags92
AG
If I were the Ukrainians, I would put some of my key military hardware right on top of the Russian gas lines going to Europe. Let the Russians choose whether to knock out the counter artillery and SAM batteries at the expense of stopping the flow of gas to Europe, potentially for months.
rgag12
AG
Odesa is in Ukraine and on the black sea
Who?mikejones!
LMCane said:

Agthatbuilds said:

Wouldn't be a really bad idea to destroy most of the infrastructure of the country your about to invade unless absolutely necessary?

I mean, you'll need that infrastructure to handle the existing population

Hitler and Stalin, Saddam Hussein and Mao Tse Tung

all say hold my beer brother Ag

I understand that. Just from a practicality standpoint- the Ukrainian army probably won't slow you down too much should you want to take the entire country.

Once you do take the country, you're now gonna be in charge of millions of people who still will need basic utility services.

So, why destroy infrastructure when doing so doesn't necessarily gain you a huge advantage and which you would then need to rebuild at a high cost?

If you're delayed longer than expected when taking Ukraine, then sure, blow it up.
LMCane
txags92 said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

JobSecurity said:

even if Putin is thinking about midterm elections in the USA

it makes logical sense that he would want as many Republicans in the Congress as possible

to start investigations of Biden, pin Biden down on any legislation, and make his life miserable

thus causing more issues that Biden has to focus on rather than on RUSSIA RUSSIA RUSSIA
Rossticus
LMCane said:

Rossticus said:

LMCane said:

With adequate (and not necessarily tremendous) reinforcement and support, Russia could be stalemated at the Dnieper. You lose 40% of Ukraine but then you're in prime position to play the long game with international support.

except if the Russian and Belarus just penetrate due south from their current positions 40 miles north of Kyiv

Yeah. I made an edit. It would have to be repelled but the terrain plays to your favor and if you can mire then in that area you could pull something off. Would be your best bet. Once Russia crosses the Dnieper then it's all over.
First Page Last Page
Page 80 of 296

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.