***** OFFICIAL Russia v. Ukraine *****

1,067,082 Views | 10330 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TRM
Rossticus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
He doesn't have to. We're already backing down on the harshest sanctions.

Unless this was negotiated behind the scenes. Putin talks smack, marches in, takes what he already has anyway, we back off of sanctions, lines are redraw, we look like *****es… and then we pause for a few more years till Putin pulls this again.

Actually this does sound like something we'd do.
Rossticus
45-70Ag said:

Un statement: we strongly advise Putin to not invade Ukraine but we can't do anything about it. Good luck Ukraine.

Might as well put out caution signs at the Ukrainian border:

"WARNING! NO TRESPASSING! Violators will be given candy and blowjobs."
oneeyedag
Yeah about Diaper Man!

https://twitter.com/AlfredE84/status/1495897899695280139?t=YtgxVxkxaBkmt0Xd5IfNkQ&s=09
jabberwalkie09
AG
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

I don't want to sound hyperbolic but I believe what we are seeing is the beginning of a new Iron Curtain.
Not in a market sense. They still need trade. Doubt Putin is going to go down the widespread famine route like Stalin was.
Unfortunately, Putin is taking the position of its much better to negotiate when you have the power. Putin is demonstrating that he's okay with exerting force, even if it's over time, as a means to an end. He's got Europe by the balls and he knows it. There's enough countries, some developing, in the world that would still buy their energy in the event that Europe goes cold Turkey. It won't be as profitable though.

I don't think Putin particularly cares about the average Russian, but I also think that Ukraine's agricultural sector would be a nice feather in his cap. That's why all this talk about tactical/strategic weapons against Ukraine didn't really mesh for me. If Putin goes for it all, he's going to keep as much of the country as usable as possible.
Rossticus
Yep. Knew it. Putin is going to demand that NATO neuter themselves and they're going to slink off to a corner and cut off their own balls with a rusty spoon.

Rapier108
Belarus is nothing but a puppet state of Russia and has been since the breakup of the Soviet Union.
Rossticus
Rapier108 said:

Belarus is nothing but a puppet state of Russia and has been since the breakup of the Soviet Union.

No doubt but it makes it all the more humiliating for NATO that Putin is submitting the demand through Belarus.
Clob94
Question for those in the know---

If me and some of my buddies decide we want to head over to the Ukraine and "volunteer" for the Ukrainian "defense" forces, could anybody back home prosecuted us for anything if we came back in one piece?
YNWA_AG
AG
12th Man
AG
Clob94 said:

If me and some of my buddies decide we want to head over to the Ukraine and "volunteer" for the Ukrainian "defense" forces, could anybody back home prosecuted us for anything if we came back in one piece?

"If".
jabberwalkie09
AG
The Kraken
AG
Just heard my E-6 combat engineer nephew with 3rd ID is being deployed to Poland near Ukrainian border
plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose
Who?mikejones!
Nato be like:

jabberwalkie09
AG
45-70Ag said:

Un statement: we strongly advise Putin to not invade Ukraine but we can't do anything about it. Good luck Ukraine.

Yes, UN is truly looking like the sequel to League of Nations.
Rossticus
New World Ag said:

Just heard my E-6 combat engineer nephew with 3rd ID is being deployed to Poland near Ukrainian border

Only until Putin tells them to leave so it won't be for long.
Rossticus
jabberwalkie09 said:

45-70Ag said:

The League of Incompetent Nincompoops?
redcrayon
AG
Clob94 said:

Stop. You aren't doing any such thing.
Rossticus
Clob94 said:

I don't THINK so. Do you have prior Mil service? Because that's typically who does crap like that and it's generally European ex mil.
Demosthenes81
AG
Clob94 said:

It looks like you are in the clear as far as US law. Russia however can legally shoot you without a second thought
https://warontherocks.com/2021/08/soldiers-of-fortune-why-u-s-mercenaries-should-not-be-legal/#:~:text=No%20U.S.%20law%20currently%20restricts,Anti%2DPinkerton%20Act%20of%201893.

Seven and three are ten, not only now, but forever. There has never been a time when seven and three were not ten, nor will there ever be a time when they are not ten. Therefore, I have said that the truth of number is incorruptible and common to all who think. — St. Augustine
45-70Ag
AG
redcrayon said:

Clob94 said:

Stop. You aren't doing any such thing.

Yeah if you're going to ruck up and go throw down against the Russians, document it and post here.

But since you're not, just stop.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Rossticus said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

45-70Ag said:

The League of Incompetent Nincompoops?

Same energy.
ProgN
jabberwalkie09 said:

The UN is a joke and if Russia showing the world their impotence, then I wouldn't be upset with that.
jabberwalkie09
AG

MouthBQ98
AG
If I was still in offshore O&G I would find any excuse in the world to get sent to Singapore for work, and then make a B-line for orchard Towers, right to the 4th floor, and go to one of the bars and start a conversation about the conflict. The cat fight between the Russian and Ukrainian "buy me drink" girls would be EPIC.
aggiehawg
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

aggiehawg said:

Quote:

I don't want to sound hyperbolic but I believe what we are seeing is the beginning of a new Iron Curtain.
Not in a market sense. They still need trade. Doubt Putin is going to go down the widespread famine route like Stalin was.
Unfortunately, Putin is taking the position of its much better to negotiate when you have the power. Putin is demonstrating that he's okay with exerting force, even if it's over time, as a means to an end. He's got Europe by the balls and he knows it. There's enough countries, some developing, in the world that would still buy their energy in the event that Europe goes cold Turkey. It won't be as profitable though.

I don't think Putin particularly cares about the average Russian, but I also think that Ukraine's agricultural sector would be a nice feather in his cap. That's why all this talk about tactical/strategic weapons against Ukraine didn't really mesh for me. If Putin goes for it all, he's going to keep as much of the country as usable as possible.
They had the breadbasket of Ukraine when Stalin still oversaw mass famines. It is the outside trade that makes Russian function (to the degree that it does) now.

Sometimes the stars align in history. Some for the good and some for the bad. Reagan and Gorbachev. Clinton and Yeltsin. Even Nixon and Breznev to a lesser degree managed to wind up well or just averted a crisis.

Post WWII, Truman and then Eisenhower knew Stalin. Krushchev was a wild card. Eisenhower blinked in 1956-57. Then JFK was elected Nikita saw an opening with a weak newbie President. He was emboldened and hence the Cuban Missile Crisis. But both Truman and Eisenhower were still alive and available for consultation.

Whereas Eisenhower had blinked over nuclear threats, Truman dropped two. It was not a coincidence that Nikita was booted less than two tears after the missile crisis.
EastSideAg2002
Whats the point of the UN Sec Counsel convening when Russia has a veto.
MouthBQ98
AG
I thought the USSR had a veto.
jabberwalkie09
AG
I'm aware of what exports Russia has currently that is their main economy, but my comment was more focused on the historical perspective which was meant to mirror more so Putin's speech today.
74OA
AG
TERMINATOR
Gordo14
EastSideAg2002 said:

Whats the point of the UN Sec Counsel convening when Russia has a veto.

Probably to get China on record.
Rossticus
Nobody cares if you draw down on them if they know you won't shoot. Never thought the US would be the blubbering GI in the stairwell in Saving Private Ryan.
Who?mikejones!
I've been following on and off today. Is my summary of the situation correct?

-russia recognized independence of two separatist parts of Ukraine
- Russia is moving troops into those areas
-putin gave an hour long hitleresque speech claiming Ukraine is a failed state that should never been it's own nation and should be a part of Russia.
- Russia continues to try to find new reasons to justify war
-the west is collectively going to enact sanctions on Russia but otherwise shrug it shoulders

Consequences
- Ukraine can either cede its territory to Russia or fight it out, and it appears that it will cede territory
-nato/un have no real recourse but to whine

Judging by putins statements, it doesn't appear to me only taking the separatist regions is where this ends. He said Ukraine is Russia. He set the stage for a full takeover. The sanctions only make it more likely, imo.

jabberwalkie09
AG

Rossticus
Pretty much
Rossticus
Answer to who? Ukraine's imaginary friend?
First Page Last Page
Page 58 of 296

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.