***** OFFICIAL Russia v. Ukraine *****

1,066,908 Views | 10330 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TRM
Serotonin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ultimately, the problem for Ukraine can be summed up in two maps:

All the talk of "Ukraine" vs "Russia" misses this point entirely.
Faustus
Thanks for the maps Serotonin.

I knew vaguely that there were more ethnic Russians in the South and East, but the maps put it in stark relief.
YouBet
AG
Serotonin said:

Insightful.
TriAg2010
AG
BQ78 said:

Quote:

Biden didn't put a 100 Russia combat units on Ukraine's border.
No, but his weakness and ineptitude did.

Oh I agree, but that doesn't make Biden a warmonger.
TX_COWDOC
AG
So this is a Ukrexit of sorts?
www.southpawprecision.com
Type 07 FFL / Class 2 SOT
Nightforce Optics Dealer
AGM Night Vision Dealer
cbr
AG
YouBet said:

Serotonin said:

Insightful.
Almost as badly divided as america
TriAg2010
AG
For all the talk about a "divided Ukraine," the have majority support for aligning with EU and NATO. Look at the rate of change since 2014 when reflecting on election maps from 2004.

BQ78
AG
His rhetoric may dispute that. He has poked the bear, then said a little invasion will be okay, then he's poked the bear some more and then said no Americans will fight. His vacillations and rhetoric is "warmongering." Pee Paw isn't dealing with Corn Pop anymore.
Eliminatus
AG
TriAg2010 said:

For all the talk about a "divided Ukraine," the have majority support for aligning with EU and NATO. Look at the rate of change since 2014 when reflecting on election maps from 2004.

You are thinking like an American. We haven't had a major land division in over a hundred years. Huge chunks of eastern Ukraine think of themselves as Russian. We spout that we are divided here( and we are) but it's not true ethnic division like it is in Ukraine. We are too dispersed while they are concentrated.

It's more akin to the Ireland situation than anything here. Ukraine is NOT truly unified and never has been. Majority rules don't mean jack to whole chunks of land.

Granted my own thinking is inherently biased as well as an American. Just the opposite tilt of you. Which means the truth is likely in the middle of course.
Irish 2.0
Irish 2.0
Who?mikejones!
Irish 2.0 said:

And so the false flag begins
Bonfire1996
AG
Invasion begins 4 pm EST.
Canada hard core crackdown begins 4 pm EST
YouBet
AG
Bonfire1996 said:

Invasion begins 4 pm EST.
Canada hard core crackdown begins 4 pm EST
I wish this was us invading Canada and removing Trudeau.
Irish 2.0
jabberwalkie09
AG
LMCane
Eliminatus said:

TriAg2010 said:

You are thinking like an American. We haven't had a major land division in over a hundred years. Huge chunks of eastern Ukraine think of themselves as Russian. We spout that we are divided here( and we are) but it's not true ethnic division like it is in Ukraine. We are too dispersed while they are concentrated.

It's more akin to the Ireland situation than anything here. Ukraine is NOT truly unified and never has been. Majority rules don't mean jack to whole chunks of land.

Granted my own thinking is inherently biased as well as an American. Just the opposite tilt of you. Which means the truth is likely in the middle of course.
there aren't ethnic divisions in the USA?!?

how about differences between latinos, africans, african americans, asians and Europeans?
K2-HMFIC
jabberwalkie09 said:

The Russians ability to make a maskirovka is slacking.
Deplorable
Man, lots of complex geopolitical historical tension and cultural stuff going on here.

How cool would it be to stay the hell out of it!!!!??
K2-HMFIC
OG UNF said:

Man, lots of complex geopolitical historical tension and cultural stuff going on here.

How cool would it be to stay the hell out of it!!!!??

Just because you don't care about war, doesn't mean war doesn't care about you.
YouBet
AG
US division is more accurately represented as large cities vs everyone else with leftist enclave outliers in the latter.
Maverick06
AG
I think he meant ethnic along with geographic. We're a melting pot for the most part geographically.
Eliminatus
AG
LMCane said:

Eliminatus said:

TriAg2010 said:

how about differences between latinos, africans, african americans, asians and Europeans?

You don't have huge concentrations here like they do over there. That's my point. We are way too intermixed. They are not. It would be as if all of Texas not only was culturally Mexican but largely thought of ourselves AS Mexican, not American, and wish to return to the "rightful" ways.

Again, look at the Ireland situation. They are far closer to that than anything we have here.
YouBet
AG
Maverick06 said:

I think he meant ethnic along with geographic. We're a melting pot for the most part geographically.
Looking at that map there is a hard, undeniable cut between ethnic, geographic, and political angles. From Putin's perspective (right or wrong), that's why he's making the case he is.

That map is also 14 years old so maybe the political part of that has changed?
Eliminatus
AG
YouBet said:

Maverick06 said:

Looking at that map there is a hard, undeniable cut between ethnic, geographic, and political angles. From Putin's perspective (right or wrong), that's why he's making the case he is.

Hasn't changed much. Eastern Ukraine still largely wants to be under Russian control.

The damn thing of it all is that we can compare it to the Sudetenland and have it be just as viable. In Russia's eyes there are Russians living in former Russia who want to be Russian again. And they are mostly right depending on your perspective.

Watched a fascinating embedded report last week of some Ukrainian soldiers stationed in E. Ukraine. They are not exactly welcome there with open arms from the local populace. Even if they are ostensibly Ukrainian as well.

It's a mess and always has been.
K2-HMFIC
Eliminatus said:

YouBet said:

Maverick06 said:

Hasn't changed much. Eastern Ukraine still largely wants to be under Russian control.

The damn thing of it all is that we can compare it to the Sudetenland and have it be just as viable. In Russia's eyes there are Russians living in former Russia who want to be Russian again. And they are mostly right depending on your perspective.

Watched a fascinating embedded report last week of some Ukrainian soldiers stationed in E. Ukraine. They are not exactly welcome there with open arms from the local populace. Even if they are ostensibly Ukrainian as well.

Yea, the Ukrainian Russians in Eastern Ukraine want to be Russian so bad hundreds of thousands have fled to Western Ukraine.

The desire to be Russian is dropping…the quality of life is better in the West and they know it.
Serotonin
AG
Yeah, I think the Ireland comparison is the best one out there. I have a hard time believing that preferences (pro-Russia or pro-EU) based on centuries-old ethnic divisions would shift so quickly.

Having said that, Soros is is pouring tons of money into the ground game there through his pro-EU foundation, so over time that could influence things:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Renaissance_Foundation
https://www.opensocietyfoundations.org/newsroom/the-open-society-foundations-in-ukraine
Eliminatus
AG
K2-HMFIC said:

Eliminatus said:

YouBet said:

Maverick06 said:

Yea, the Ukrainian Russians in Eastern Ukraine want to be Russian so bad hundreds of thousands have fled to Western Ukraine.

The desire to be Russian is dropping…the quality of life is better in the West and they know it.

That is true and something I thought about when I hit post. Was going to edit my reply when I saw yours.

There is an age division at play here as well. The older folks are the ones who lived under Russia and still want to again. They actually believe quality of life was better then too and actually probably was to some extent. Younger gens see the opportunity of western ideals but don't have the sway of the land and power yet.

Ukraine's situation sucks all around. Just so many different political and cultural pulls that makes everything so complicated. And fascinating to objective outsiders. I've been studying it since I found out about the Russian atrocities there back in Jr high. Ukraine is like Poland. A chunk of land that has had sooooo much history happen in and around it.

As a history nut, I love it. As a westerner, I feel for them. As a Texan, I sympathize with them. As a former trigger puller, I fear for them.
LMCane
Eliminatus said:

LMCane said:

Eliminatus said:

TriAg2010 said:

You don't have huge concentrations here like they do over there. That's my point. We are way too intermixed. They are not. It would be as if all of Texas not only was culturally Mexican but largely thought of ourselves AS Mexican, not American, and wish to return to the "rightful" ways.

Again, look at the Ireland situation. They are far closer to that than anything we have here.

have you been to an inner city lately?

or looked at the West Coast of the USA?
Serotonin
AG
Yep, if you are ethnic Ukranian you have memory within 3 generations of millions killed by the Soviet government under Stalin.

If you are Russian you have memory within 3 generations of millions killed based on invasion from your western borders, including Ukraine.

Allowing Ukraine to join NATO leaves you in a horrible strategic position. You just can't let it happen, at any cost, even if you go down fighting.
Eliminatus
AG
LMCane said:

Eliminatus said:

LMCane said:

Eliminatus said:

TriAg2010 said:

have you been to an inner city lately?

or looked at the West Coast of the USA?

Not even close to the same. Have you left the US at all?

We can agree to disagree though. Don't wish to derail this thread about American stuff. I'm actually using this thread for info updates and discussion of the current situation.
Demosthenes81
AG
Serotonin said:

The language map would have looked much different prior to WW2. Stalin conducted mass deportations of of Ukrainians from the area now Russian speaking. The sad story of the Crimean Tatars is particularly eventful. Russia today is being rewarded and justified in its actions by the genocide and crimes against humanity committed 80 years ago. And that is not even taking into event the Holodor of the 20s and 30s.
Seven and three are ten, not only now, but forever. There has never been a time when seven and three were not ten, nor will there ever be a time when they are not ten. Therefore, I have said that the truth of number is incorruptible and common to all who think. — St. Augustine
Serotonin
AG
The corollary here is that 20 years from now China offers Mexico a sweet deal to join a mutual alliance and once agreed China can put hundreds of thousands of troops and weapons in Mexico, maybe right on the border.

If you are America, how do you respond?

Mexico has always been our sphere of influence, we've had the Monroe Doctrine, but Mexico may also feel like we've screwed them around at times (taking half their territory in the 1800s) and want to link up with China.

How do you think we'd respond?
Serotonin
AG
Demosthenes81 said:

Serotonin said:

The language map would have looked much different prior to WW2. Stalin conducted mass deportations of of Ukrainians from the area now Russian speaking. The sad story of the Crimean Tatars is particularly eventful. Russia today is being rewarded and justified in its actions by the genocide and crimes against humanity committed 80 years ago. And that is not even taking into event the Holodor of the 20s and 30s.
Yeah but the only reason you had Muslims there in a Christian area is because of brutal invasions in the 13th century:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongol_invasion_of_Kievan_Rus%27

And on and on it goes back into history.
Rossticus
Serotonin said:

The corollary here is that 20 years from now China offers Mexico a sweet deal to join a mutual alliance and once agreed China can put hundreds of thousands of troops and weapons in Mexico, maybe right on the border.

If you are America, how do you respond?

Mexico has always been our sphere of influence, we've had the Monroe Doctrine, but Mexico may also feel like we've screwed them around at times (taking half their territory in the 1800s) and want to link up with China.

How do you think we'd respond?

That's such a stretch it's not even funny. Is China in the same region as Mexico? Is China contiguous to Mexico? Has the US recently attacked Mexico and annexed parts of Mexico? Is America an authoritarian autocracy who has stated their goal of annexing Mexico?
First Page Last Page
Page 27 of 296

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.