***** OFFICIAL Russia v. Ukraine *****

1,072,282 Views | 10330 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TRM
Valtrex11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ukraine is not a democracy they are pretty authoritarian wgas what Putin does to them..
black_ice
nortex97 said:

Is that Yamamoto?

Yes
aezmvp
Again not discounting the first strike. The Israeli's is the most effective recent example. But my point is that Ukraine may not have the offensive weaponry/resources/plan to conduct a first strike that would cause sufficient damage to Russian forces in which to effectively disrupt their offensive mission.

Yamamoto is a great example. While the plan was a masterful, inventive and creative first strike plan, Nagumo's failure to launch a 3rd strike and cripple the fuel, sub and port facilities in Pearl and further disrupt the air operations on the islands meant that the Japanese at best got a tactical victory on that day. Had they launched the 3rd attack and destroyed the oil and fuel bunkers and port facilities the fleet may have been forced back to San Francisco or Australia, either of which would have pushed back US efforts in the Pacific by another 6-12 months. So if the Ukrainians attack first but fail to disrupt the Russian attack enough and push their timetable by a week or a month, what have they won? NATO is still not going to get involved, indeed would have a harder time with countries like Germany.

So I think this is a non-factor from at least my perspective. I wouldn't recommend it as a member of their general staff based on the publicly available order of battle and the other pieces of information that have been out there about Ukrainian tactics and training over the last several years.
aggiehawg
AG
nortex97 said:

Is that Yamamoto?
Yep. When we used to put our minds to it, we did that.
K2-HMFIC
GAC06 said:

Stranded, yes. Russia has ports on the Black Sea so not really cut off from supply.

The Montrose Convention is applicable here
K2-HMFIC
Valtrex11 said:

Ukraine is not a democracy they are pretty authoritarian wgas what Putin does to them..

Que???
Valtrex11
K2-HMFIC said:

Valtrex11 said:

Que???
yeah man the current regime runs the country like Putin does Russia.
redsquirrelAG
AG
America isn't a Democracy.
K2-HMFIC
Valtrex11 said:

K2-HMFIC said:

Valtrex11 said:

Que???

So…Zelensky has been in office for the last two decades?
Rossticus
So we're cool with Crazy Vladimir gaining a massive strategic and economic advantage over Europe because we trust that once he does he's just going to…….. stop?

The guy who has "Return Russia to Soviet Era Greatness" at the top of his daily "to do" list for 20 years. The USSR, whose most fervent wish was to crush the USA to prove that Russia was greater?

Just making sure we're all on the same page and understand who and what it is we're considering allowing a head start to. Because it will come around to us, even if we try and ignore it.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Newly posted level 4 advisory for Moldova.

Quote:

Do not travel to Moldova due to COVID-19, the unusual and concerning Russian military activity around Ukraine, and the unresolved conflict between the breakaway region of Transnistria and the central government; U.S. citizens in Transnistria should depart immediately via commercial or private means.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/moldova-travel-advisory.html
File5
AG
Are you willing to give your life and money to defend Ukraine when even the Europeans won't? Why should other Americans be willing to?
GAC06
AG
I'm not saying this will be like WWII but that sounds like something we might have heard in the late 1930's
aggiehawg
AG
Valtrex11 said:

K2-HMFIC said:

Valtrex11 said:

Que???
Then Russia would not feel the need to take any military action, no? You make no logical sense.
File5
AG
What I said or what he said? Europeans were very aware of Nazis and Soviets in the 1930's, and were actively preparing to fight them. Nowadays we've enabled others to spend much less than they should for their own defense, and they aren't even worried themselves at this moment, so I repeat - why should we be?
Rossticus
File5 said:

Are you willing to give your life and money to defend Ukraine when even the Europeans won't? Why should other Americans be willing to?

It's not about Ukraine specifically. It's about the bigger picture and what Ukraine quite possibly could lead to which is more lives and more money than had we put our foot down at the start. History pretty much bears this out.

On top of that it sends a message to China that we're not effing around. If they see us cede Ukraine then they're going for Taiwan. And if they see us just stand back and watch, do you think Vlad and Xi are the types to just stop there? It will eventually fall in the middle of our lap unless we're ready to let each do whatever they want.

But maybe it would be better for the US to allow Russia and China much greater global power. No lives or money at stake there at all.
GAC06
AG
Europeans were desperate to avoid war. NATO even in its current state has the tools to oppose Russia.
C@LAg
GAC06 said:

Europeans were desperate to avoid war. NATO even in its current state has the tools to oppose Russia.
the tools in charge of nato, not so much
File5
AG
Sure, but they at least recognized the threat and were acting on it. NATO without the US is in a sad state right now from what I've read and seen (although only seen a small portion in person). Europeans right now don't seem to think Russia is a threat, otherwise they would be spending more on defense and trying to gain energy independence from Russia. That they don't or won't means something.
Valtrex11
aggiehawg said:

Valtrex11 said:

K2-HMFIC said:

Valtrex11 said:

Que???
Then Russia would not feel the need to take any military action, no? You make no logical sense.
this makes no sense. Putin cares about Ukrainine doing what he tells them to do ie no Nato nothing else.
File5
AG
If no one else around the world agrees with our worldview, is it still our prerogative to enforce our will in their country? You mentioned strategic utility, and Ukraine is much farther down the list than Taiwan. Taiwan is a must-keep, Ukraine is not. And we haven't even touched on if our CIC and forces are even up to the task. FJB can't even retreat from the Taliban effectively, what makes you think he can attack someone who knows what they're doing??
Irish 2.0

10% for the big guy
aggiehawg
AG
Valtrex11 said:

aggiehawg said:

Valtrex11 said:

K2-HMFIC said:

Valtrex11 said:

Que???
this makes no sense. Putin cares about Ukrainine doing what he tells them to do ie no Nato nothing else.
How drunk are you?
Rossticus
I don't think we should allocate human assets to Ukraine but everything else available to us via material support and our European installations should be on the table.

I agree that Taiwan is bigger and that much more should be diverted to the Pacific if China picks up steam. What I don't want to see is Russia gain enough traction to provide a strategic diversion for China should they choose to focus in on other former Soviet "properties".
Ernest Tucker
AG
aggiehawg said:

Valtrex11 said:

aggiehawg said:

Valtrex11 said:

K2-HMFIC said:

Valtrex11 said:

Que???
How drunk are you?

It's only 6:45am in Moscow right now… so I'm guessing he's drunk as ****
aezmvp
Ernest Tucker said:

aggiehawg said:

Valtrex11 said:

aggiehawg said:

Valtrex11 said:

K2-HMFIC said:

Valtrex11 said:

Que???
How drunk are you?

It's only 6:45am in Moscow right now… so I'm guessing he's drunk as ****
Probably just got done robbing a train car of Florida State students looking for minors in Russian.
Valtrex11
aggiehawg said:

Valtrex11 said:

aggiehawg said:

Valtrex11 said:

K2-HMFIC said:

Valtrex11 said:

Que???
How drunk are you?
Sorry your dumb post threw me off. Ukrainie is an autocratic regime. Its two bad states having an issue like I said who cares...
Gordo14
Valtrex11 said:

I see that you a). Watch Tucker Carlson. B). Fall victim to Russian propoganda very easily, and c). Are completely uninformed.

I just think the idea of a country who's leader is a commedian who won an election and was as far from the "ruling class" as possible not being a democracy is a hilarious assertion. And just to show that I know you get 100% of your opinions from Tucker Carlson, his "political rival" got arrested for corruption because he was Putin's lapdog and didn't support the Ukrainian people's wish - you know to become a western democracy distinctly different from Russia. Your boy Tucker is basically Russia Today.
law80
AG
I am the Machine!
Valtrex11
Gordo14 said:

Valtrex11 said:

I see that you a). Watch Tucker Carlson. B). Fall victim to Russian propoganda very easily, and c). Are completely uninformed.

I just think the idea of a country who's leader is a commedian who won an election and was as far from the "ruling class" as possible not being a democracy is a hilarious assertion. And just to show that I know you get 100% of your opinions from Tucker Carlson, his "political rival" got arrested for corruption because he was Putin's lapdog and didn't support the Ukrainian people's wish - you know to become a western democracy distinctly different from Russia. Your boy Tucker is basically Russia Today.
Attack the messenger and smear them ..This how i know you are wrong you didn't address anything disprove my point.
aggiehawg
AG
Valtrex11 said:

aggiehawg said:

Valtrex11 said:

aggiehawg said:

Valtrex11 said:

K2-HMFIC said:

Valtrex11 said:

Que???
How drunk are you?
Sorry your dumb post threw me off. Ukrainie is an autocratic regime. Its two bad states having an issue like I said who cares...
Can you not spell or is it you can not type?

ETA: Just a bot.
aezmvp
Gordo14
Valtrex11 said:

aggiehawg said:

Valtrex11 said:

aggiehawg said:

Valtrex11 said:

K2-HMFIC said:

Valtrex11 said:

Que???
How drunk are you?

What about a recently elected comedian running the country screams "autocratic regime"? I'm sorry but this shows yoi have absolutely no idea what is happening.
aezmvp
Move along hawg, just another derail attempt.
Rossticus
aggiehawg said:

Valtrex11 said:

aggiehawg said:

Valtrex11 said:

aggiehawg said:

Valtrex11 said:

K2-HMFIC said:

Valtrex11 said:

Que???
How drunk are you?
Can you not spell or is it you can not type?

ETA: Just a bot.

Two things can be true.
First Page Last Page
Page 15 of 296

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.