***** OFFICIAL Russia v. Ukraine *****

1,068,039 Views | 10330 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TRM
cbr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
K2-HMFIC said:

will25u said:

State's audience here isn't the American people…but this briefing isn't a good look.
this worthless, spineless moron is utterly, totally incompetent and incapable in his role. which is why this admin put him there. he couldn't manage a HS drama class, much less win a HS debate. the country is completely ****ed.
will25u
aggiehawg
AG
will25u said:

WTH? Is he implying he'll bomb it?
Psycho Bunny
aggiehawg said:

will25u said:

How environmental of him.
Eliminatus
AG
aggiehawg said:

will25u said:

That's exactly what he is implying.

Not that it is a secret or anything. Unrestricted kinetic warfare demands that it be a critical target. Both sides know and understand this. It is posturing and a reminder though.
nortex97
AG
That idiot's going to start a major war because when he gets confused and embarrassed on a public stage he generally gets very angry. He has no idea about posturing or even where nordstream 2 runs, heck, he may not be able to pick Germany out on a map.

Putin's gonna have plenty of customers for his natural gas, the question is if Europe will be embroiled in a war or not.
Tramp96
Am I the only one who, whenever this thread shows up at the top of the page, thinks to himself, "Uh oh, is this it? Did they invade?"

And then I'm relieved when it's just one of our incompetents (Sleepy Joe, Peppermint Patty, anyone from State dept) saying something stupid again.
Jayhawk
So if I understand this correctly: the Russians were going to use method actors doused in fake blood and a made up skit about a Ukrainian dirty bomb to start a war. We would then cut them off from SWIFT and ramp up NATO defenses , despite the bigguest European NATO member needing SWIFT connections to Russia to make payments for gas from the massive pipeline which Biden quietly removed sanctions on (cough) prior to this whole scenario getting started?

And also the President of Ukraine has publicly said on multiple occasions that we should essentially just calm down and its not that big of a deal, despite the imminent war talk from Washington.

Wars and rumors of wars.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

So if I understand this correctly: the Russians were going to use method actors doused in fake blood and a made up skit about a Ukrainian dirty bomb to start a war. We would then cut them off from SWIFT and ramp up NATO defenses , despite the bigguest European NATO member needing SWIFT connections to Russia to make payments for gas from the massive pipeline which Biden quietly removed sanctions on (cough) prior to this whole scenario getting started?
Pretty much sums it up. You left out that we turned over our best base of operations in the area to the Taliban in August as well.
Kenneth_2003
AG
NordStream 2, though complete, has not been certified yet and is not in service. It's still waiting European environmental certifications.
aggiehawg
AG
Uhmm?

Quote:

t's a frigid Friday in Ukraine's Chernobyl Exclusion Zone, and dozens of journalists in fluorescent yellow vests are frantically elbowing each other as they vie for camera position in a town where no one has lived since 1986.

Chernobyl has been abandoned since the world's worst nuclear disaster here three decades ago. But with tens of thousands of Russian troops amassing on Ukraine's border with Belarus just a few miles away, the ghost town is now playing host to security forces training for war. Ukraine is using Chernobyl to prepare for another potential cataclysm.

Russian President Vladimir Putin has consistently denied that the Kremlin is planning an incursion into Ukraine. Russia's deployments in Belarus are ostensibly linked to joint exercises due to begin on Thursday. However, satellite photographs show Russian camps being established close to the border with Ukraine, hundreds of miles from where the exercises are taking place.

If Russia were to invade Ukraine, the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone is a possible conduit to Kyiv. American and NATO officials say President Putin is steadily increasing his military presence in Belarus from 5,000 troops in January to an estimated 30,000 sometime this month.
Link
titan
S
Jayhawk said:

And also the President of Ukraine has publicly said on multiple occasions that we should essentially just calm down and its not that big of a deal, despite the imminent war talk from Washington.

Wars and rumors of wars.
Right. Americans should demand drafts of the kids of journalists and politicians to fight this war they are so intent on starting, even as Ukraine itself tries to tell us to STFU.

FCBlitz
Biden& the unseen are handling the potential invasion of Ukraine like they are doing with the US Mexico Crisis.

1.) Make claims they are ready for ANY CONTINGENCIES! When they clearly are not and don't intend to be.

2.) Make claims they are doing things that would help shore up needs to have impact. For instance announce that 90 tons of materials is being delivered. Well that could equal 90 pallets of bullets. That is enough for the first 15 minutes of repelling an invasion.

3.) Excitedly claim all of the resources being applied to areas but really doing nothing at ground zero where the threat actually exists.

4.). Everyday we have heard the "Any Day Claim" so they can say "We told you so". To imply they were ontology things.

5.) Release lots of powerfully empty rhetoric that does nothing to benefit Ukraine.

FJB
will25u
will25u
LMCane
nothing like the leader of the free world telling every one of the 30,000 Americans in Ukraine to flee immediately because World War III may begin shortly.

that definitely conveys an impression of strength and keeping a cool head during a crisis.
LMCane
FCBlitz said:

Biden& the unseen are handling the potential invasion of Ukraine like they are doing with the US Mexico Crisis.

1.) Make claims they are ready for ANY CONTINGENCIES! When they clearly are not and don't intend to be.

2.) Make claims they are doing things that would help shore up needs to have impact. For instance announce that 90 tons of materials is being delivered. Well that could equal 90 pallets of bullets. That is enough for the first 15 minutes of repelling an invasion.

3.) Excitedly claim all of the resources being applied to areas but really doing nothing at ground zero where the threat actually exists.

4.). Everyday we have heard the "Any Day Claim" so they can say "We told you so". To imply they were ontology things.

5.) Release lots of powerfully empty rhetoric that does nothing to benefit Ukraine.

FJB
also increasing panic within Ukraine

which hurts Zelensky and the Ukrainian economy and ensures it will be easier for Putin to destabilize the country
LMCane
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Pretty much sums it up. You left out that we turned over our best base of operations in the area to the Taliban in August as well.

Afghanistan also just happens to be within easy range of bombing the Iranian nuclear reactors.

good thing we don't have those bases anymore.
LMCane
holy crap this is really bad. stuttering, confused, mixing up Iraq and Afghanistan

YouBet
AG
LMCane said:

holy crap this is really bad. stuttering, confused, mixing up Iraq and Afghanistan

Completely incompetent. With his Ukraine response, he gives Putin the green light to invade...AGAIN...as long as Putin doesn't hurt American assets/people. And then he can't answer the follow-up question given to him.

Can't imagine why the EU leaders are trying to take control of negotiations this week.
LMCane
"I totally reject the conclusions on Iraq, Ukraine... uh I mean Afghanistan"

So they conclusions aren't true then?

"I reject them."

anyone else think we may have a problem here?
will25u
TriAg2010
AG
Yeah, not great. If intelligence points to an imminent invasion in a matter of days/weeks, we will quickly know if they are FOS.

Ukraine Gas Expert
AG
Bump. Goebbels having a presser
will25u
Mac94
AG
https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1492120931019415553

Quote:

The leader of the so called "Donetsk People's Republic" claims that they have found 130 mass/field graves of civilians killed by the Ukrainian army totaling 5k dead

Rumor on twitter that could be cited as cause of any action?
atmtws
AG
WTI just crossed $94.
will25u
Ag In Ok
AG
I am of the belief a regime change is what Biden wants.

Though i am conflicted, i don't think Russia has enough to overthrow the current government. I don't think they have enough to fight a counterinsurgency.
TriAg2010
AG
My armchair expectation of Russia's strategy would be:

- Invasion of eastern Ukrainian districts under the guise of protecting ethnic Russian peoples
- Assassinations and targeted attacks at Ukraine's political heads and command/control
- Destruction of Ukraine's gas transmission infrastructure

I don't think Russia would try to invade and occupy clear across Ukraine and into Kiev. That's an occupational effort I don't think they are equipped to sustain. They would view it as minimally successful to hold the "easy" territory gains in eastern Ukraine, decapitate the current Ukrainian leadership, force Germany into submitting on NS2, and fracture NATO resolve. If they got regime change in Kiev, I think they would view that as icing on the cake.

ETA - I think recent NATO commitments to Ukraine are exceeding expectations. I think the alliance will prove more resilient and effective than Russia may have thought going into this build up. Hopefully it can still deter an attack in the first place.
Faustus
Ag In Ok said:

I am of the belief a regime change is what Biden wants.

Though i am conflicted, i don't think Russia has enough to overthrow the current government. I don't think they have enough to fight a counterinsurgency.
I don't think they'd stick around to fight a counterinsurgency.

Just install a pro-Russian regime like Yanukovych's up until 2014, and let the pro Russia locals deal with the messy aftermath.
GAC06
AG
Kiev isn't that far from Belarus and Russia borders. Looks likely that Belarus may roll with Russia.
YouBet
AG
Totally expected after watching that NBC video where Biden says go for it. I'm sure Putin immediately gave the green light to his generals to push ahead as soon as he got the go ahead in that video.

Lol. Clown Biden.
Faustus
TriAg2010 said:

My armchair expectation of Russia's strategy would be:

- Invasion of eastern Ukrainian districts under the guise of protecting ethnic Russian peoples
- Assassinations and targeted attacks at Ukraine's political heads and command/control
- Destruction of Ukraine's gas transmission infrastructure

I don't think Russia would try to invade and occupy clear across Ukraine and into Kiev. That's an occupational effort I don't think they are equipped to sustain. They would view it as minimally successful to hold the "easy" territory gains in eastern Ukraine, decapitate the current Ukrainian leadership, destroy Ukraine's gas transmission and force Germany into submitting on NS2. If they got regime change in Kiev, I think they would view that as icing on the cake.
I think chomping off the Eastern part of Ukraine is more likely too, along with destabilization of the Western part.
LMCane
watching the "National Security Advisor" at this woeful press conference.

spends more time trying to win political points bashing the Iraq war than defending what the hell they are doing. all he can say is "the Russians have 100,000 troops!!!"

Uh yeah, IT'S THEIR COUNTRY!!

what the hell is the USA plan here anyway?

basically just report to us Putin's move like a faster CNN?
First Page Last Page
Page 9 of 296

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.