Thoughts on the upcoming mandate

4,141 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by hbtheduce
Ag98inTexas
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looks like my company is about to cave. They've sent out the survey to gauge how many are vaxxed and how many are holding out. They've basically already said, "we respect your opinion, but our hands are tied." We fall under both the federal contractor EO and the 100 employee EO.

Does anybody know how this will be enforced? It seems to me that it should be as easy as checking a box that says we comply. Will OSHA launch a new squad that goes around checking all the vax cards at every company? That's about 500 at ours -- how about for those firms with thousands of employees? Same for federal contracts -- will we have to provide 500 vax cards along with our signed contracts? Isn't it up to each company to evaluate and grant exemption requests? I feel like random audits are the only tool the government will have to enforce this. I guess I just feel that a company can fairly easily blow this off if they want to, but I find myself surprised at the covidians in management here.

Side note, and cool story bro: the Navy announced that recruits can only have 2 guests attend boot camp graduation, and they have to be vaccinated to attend. Thanks to someone on this forum (I don't remember your name, but huge thanks!) I was able to see my son graduate last week!
Ags4DaWin
To my knowledge there is no 100 employee EO.

There is the THREAT of an EO.

But Texas forbids Texas employers from enforcing it so that would have to be worked out in court before ur company would have to comply.

Not sure how that jives with texas being an at will employer state because ur employer could also just fire u without mentioning ur vaxx status.
ChrisTAMU
AG
My company said today that if your exemption is denied you'll be fired 12/3. I've reached out to some legal friends to see what their thoughts are on all the EO stuff but who knows. Seems like the protection for Texas residents doesn't really exist.
fightintexasaggie
AG
Good luck to you! My company just said to fill out an exemption form and they just need it to check a box. Hopefully yours will do the same.
TRM
AG
ChrisTAMU said:

My company said today that if your exemption is denied you'll be fired 12/3. I've reached out to some legal friends to see what their thoughts are on all the EO stuff but who knows. Seems like the protection for Texas residents doesn't really exist.
If it's denied, I'd ask them in writing why they denied it and how they evaluated it wasn't a closely held belief. What legal training did they receive to make that evaluation? Get something documented in case you have to go the legal route.
coconutED
AG
Quote:

we respect your opinion, but our hands are tied we're just following orders
Swan Song
AG
fightintexasaggie said:

Good luck to you! My company just said to fill out an exemption form and they just need it to check a box. Hopefully yours will do the same.
This is what I'm planning to do with our employees if this osha crap ever materializes. Why in the world are all the companies going along with the vaccine nonsense? If more would stand up to Biden and say no, this wouldn't even be an issue.
BQ78
AG
That's about the way it is. If your management thinks the mandate is BS you'll get your exemption. If they don't you get fired. The government probably won't get around to auditing exemptions until after the mid-terms and by then it will be all over for Joe and his mandates.
TRADUCTOR
Next your kids will need to be vaccinated. The whole household vaccinated to keep your job. Executive order is worthless science will show unless the follow up comprehensive EO closes this safety loophole.

Trench needs to be dug now before the line in the sand is behind you.

When The Going Gets Weird, the Weird Turn Pro -HST
wreckncrew
AG
We are all going to have to stand up to this at some point wven if it costs us our job. Go down swinging or give this government more power that they will never give back.
gkaggie08
AG
My former employer laid off the entire row crop sales force after they sold the distribution rights to our main product to a multinational ag corporation. I was pretty distraught when it happened this past summer. I've been looking and finally found the right fit with another company. I got the offer and the was relieved to find out that my new company doesn't mandate a vaccine and doesn't intend to ever force a mandate

Edited to add that my former employer is based out of the EU, they pushed my regional manager to take and post pictures of him getting vaccinated in spring 2020, and I'm pretty sure they will enforce mandates if they haven't already
Tx-Ag2010
AG
My employer just said we can remove our masks at work if we upload our vaccine cards to their system. The cynic in me thinks this is just to gage how many of us are vaccinated before deciding to enforce the mandate.

(I'm vaccinated, however, as much as I hate the masks I'd rather wear one and stand up for the rights of my unvaccinated coworkers) These mandates are BS
J-Licious
AG
The OSHA ETS (100 EE threshold) is anticipated to be released next week. It will be challenged immediately and should get enjoined from going into effect for not meeting the emergency standard.

Biden's executive order for federal contractors is already being challenged and the WH is starting to back peddle a bit. Supply chain issues and unions fighting back hard are creating some bad publicity.

My long shot hope is that with the vaccination rates increasing (would go up higher right after they approve vaccine for young children-mine will never get it), and cases dropping, the administration will pull back and take credit for a victory.

However, I think it is more likely to go through and people will have to pursue exemptions (for fed K order). To your original point about OSHA fines, I think that never materializes but if it did, it would originate through employee complaints (e.g. whistleblower complaints alleging unsafe working conditions).
RebelE Infantry
AG
Tell your company you're vaccinated for the Ligma and Sugma variants.
Sims
AG
It's been so reassuring to me to see how many ways I have come out ahead after being laid off by my very liberal former employer. These conversations are certainly a reminder of one of those ways.

It's scary to lose a job. I've got 3 small kids. I don't know where y'all are at in life but I'm very confident in saying, there are other places you'd be much happier to work. I have an incredible wife who picked up some of the slack financially. I did odd jobs (plumbing, electrical, framing) for a few months until I found my new gig. There's opportunity out there. Don't suffer an employer who doesn't give a crap about you.
aggiedata
AG
Did y'all know OSHA rules don't apply to work from home employees. If your company says they do, they are wrong.
ChrisTAMU
AG
TRM said:

ChrisTAMU said:

If it's denied, I'd ask them in writing why they denied it and how they evaluated it wasn't a closely held belief. What legal training did they receive to make that evaluation? Get something documented in case you have to go the legal route.

Thank you for the advice. I will definitely do this.
agsalaska
AG
I am looking forward to the court challenges. I give this about a 2% chance of surviving.
ChrisTAMU
AG
nm
RoadkillBBQ
coconutED said:

Quote:

we respect your opinion, but our hands are tied we're just following orders

No, they're bending over to an illegal mandate.
RoadkillBBQ
wreckncrew said:

We are all going to have to stand up to this at some point wven if it costs us our job. Go down swinging or give this government more power that they will never give back.
When they're done with this they'll be coming for the kids. Might as well decide now where your red line is.
riverrataggie
AG
My company introduced a decision exemption for Texas. So we have religious and medical across US with Texas having a personal one. Hah.
AgResearch
AG
aggiedata said:

Did y'all know OSHA rules don't apply to work from home employees. If your company says they do, they are wrong.

Makes sense why the company I work for is pushing office people back in to a minimum of 2 days per week in the office.
AgResearch
AG
Tx-Ag2010 said:

My employer just said we can remove our masks at work if we upload our vaccine cards to their system. The cynic in me thinks this is just to gage how many of us are vaccinated before deciding to enforce the mandate.

(I'm vaccinated, however, as much as I hate the masks I'd rather wear one and stand up for the rights of my unvaccinated coworkers) These mandates are BS

Mine said the same. Then once most people gave up their medical information, they said oops sorry it's too bad again and everyone must wear a mask and maintain 6ft distancing. That's still current policy.

So glad I'm not an office employee.
BAP Enthusiast
Mine requires N95 masks for unvaxxed and nothing for vaxxed. The unvaxxed just hang their masks on their ear at their desk and no one cares. Half of the vaxxed still wear masks in the office.

I follow the rules to the letter. I wear my mask only in the elevator and to my desk, then hang it on my ear. Then wear it to the bathroom, kitchen, and elevator. As soon as I get off the elevator it comes off at the ground floor. It is on my face maybe 5 minutes total per day.
Daddy
AG
ChrisTAMU said:

Depends of Abbott wants to get re elected

He will file a lawsuit against every company that does.

The Orangeman Returns with Thunder
Swan Song
AG
Some good advice I came across if you plan n taking a stand with your employer:

https://www.coffeeandcovid.com/p/-coffee-and-covid-monday-october-4e1

Kool
AG
It's hard to blame your employer about this. The fines per violation were $14,000 when first announced. The Democrats had, as part of their Reconciliation bill, a $700,000 fine for "willful violations" by a company for failure to enforce the mandate. Allah only knows where that ends up as the Democrats flail about, but how many companies would want to take that risk?
The whole thing is a Mongolian CF. Brandon announced this September 9th. Since then, he has done nothing but drop in the polls, as have daily COVID cases and deaths. I'm not sure which is dropping faster. There is no doubt that there will (and should) be a flurry of lawsuits if and when OSHA finalizes its regs. I can't imagine that OSHA, which can only mandate emergency rules to control exposure to "agents and substances" in the workplace , could put forth mandates which will stand up to the legal challenges.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
rocky the dog
AG
Elections are when people find out what politicians stand for, and politicians find out what people will fall for.
Muy
AG
I'm remote and only people going into the office have to be vaccinated.
La Vernia_Ag06
AG
Gave this same exact feedback in recent employee survey. We need our companies to standup and be leaders when they see government overreach, not just lay down say we have to be compliant.
YouBet
AG
fightintexasaggie said:

If several large companies would do this, then this thing would be over. The government is not going to spend the time checking every single accommodation and then force an individual to prove their religion. Companies should just take any halfway legible accommodation, approve it, and move on.
ReloadAg
AG
How are companies verifying proof of vax? Is it just presenting your vax card? If so, it's extremely easy to make a fake one.
YouBet
AG
ReloadAg said:

How are companies verifying proof of vax? Is it just presenting your vax card? If so, it's extremely easy to make a fake one.
Uploading pic of your vax card to a DB.
annie88
AG
I am so glad I'm retired, I am so sorry for all of you having to deal with this with your employers.

It is so wrong it is so unnecessary and it's just pure evil.

I hope one day there will be a reckoning.
Currently a happy listless vessel and deplorable. #FDEMS TRUMP 2024.
Fight Fight Fight.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.