Texas can't regulate itself, EPA must step in

3,627 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by PA24
NE PA Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This guy says his mission is to 'protect (Texans') public health' and to do that by 'reducing emissions'. What air quality issues does flaring cause, outside of possibly the immediate area? What is emitted from a nat gas flare? Excessive carbon monoxide? Sulfur dioxide? Some other gas that's toxic to animal or plant life?

I'm ignorant on the subject, but if I were a betting man, I'd wager he means carbon in general and AGW as a 'public health problem'.
halfastros81
AG
If the gas is sour then burning it will create sulfur dioxide as you suggested . C02 from burning of the hydrocarbon gas
Mixture as well plus some small bit of unburned hydrocarbons . The emissions won't
Be that much different than if the gas were processed , fractionated . And light ends burned as fuel. I suppose the fractionated products would get used as a petrochemical feedstock vs being burned.

I'm an oil and gas veteran and I don't
Particularly like seeing the gas flared either because it is wasted energy but the gathering, processing etc has
To be a paying proposition and it isn't or at least wasn't.
PA24
AG
halfastros81 said:

If the gas is sour then burning it will create sulfur dioxide as you suggested . C02 from burning of the hydrocarbon gas
Mixture as well plus some small bit of unburned hydrocarbons . The emissions won't
Be that much different than if the gas were processed , fractionated . And light ends burned as fuel. I suppose the fractionated products would get used as a petrochemical feedstock vs being burned.

I'm an oil and gas veteran and I don't
Particularly like seeing the gas flared either because it is wasted energy but the gathering, processing etc has
To be a paying proposition and it isn't or at least wasn't.

Retired oilman, worked all over the world including USA. Flaming gas is common in all oil fields and it is a shame, we should be working that problem instead of the windmills and solar panels.

Would like to see the state bow up and stop this madness of shutting down the oil and gas business. As someone mentioned above, it is all about taking wealth away from Texas.

Time to draw the line n the sand.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.