The Car Shortage Is About To Get A Whole Lot Worse

20,401 Views | 151 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by C@LAg
TxTarpon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Have you been in a Harley Davidson dealership lately?

I have not seen that sparse of an inventory since the 1990s.
----------------------------------
Texans make the best songwriters because they are the best liars.-Rodney Crowell

We will never give up our guns Steve, we don't care if there is a mass shooting every day of the week.
-BarronVonAwesome

A man with experience is not at the mercy of another man with an opinion.
Who?mikejones!
The dumbest car I can get will be fine.
tk for tu juan
Buck Turgidson
n_touch said:

BAP Enthusiast said:

China is panicking just like we are because they have no fuel for their power plants, which means no power to their factories.

Why is this a problem all of a sudden or was this building for a few years? How were they getting fuel before now?
Idiot Chinese decided to boycott coal from Australia as a political bullying tactic. India bought the coal from Australia instead. China already didn't meet their own needs and now a bunch of Chinese coal mines are flooded. Giant shortages have ensued. Suck it China.
flakrat
AG
So glad I got a kick butt deal on a used 2017 F150 Lariat 3.5 Ecoboost with 15K miles back in March. So much has changed since, that truck would have easily been $10K more today.
IDaggie06
AG
stetson said:

I have a 1994 Toyota 4Runner 4WD with 228,000 miles on it. Current bid is $5,000. Let me know if you're interested.
uhh thats pretty cheap if it's in decent condition.
GasAg90
There is no energy shortage in China. Factories are down so the air pollution will dissipate prior to their olympics in a couple of months.

Ironic that the country that causes the most pollution does the least to control it-except when it will be showcased on global TV. This leaves the rest of us to pay much higher prices to "solve" global warming ( coughing bull ****) and also supply shortages.
TChaney
HalifaxAg
AG
Cuba coming to your town in 2022, but hey, no mean tweets.
AzAg80
AG
Aggie95 said:

I can see a way out of chip problem...make more here but that will take 3 to 5 years.
But....how do we fix the magnesium issue? If the natural resource supply is in China there's not an easy fix.
Retool and use steel like in the good old days. The cars will be safer and less prone to hail damage.

Do we know if China is the primary supplier because of resource location, or is it due to regulatory hurdles in the US and Europe that make mining and processing not viable?
Buck Turgidson
In the meantime, can auto makers switch to recycled aluminum? What about all the billions of aluminum cans we use every year? Where are those going?

F150's have aluminum bodies - can they stamp the same body panels out of steel and just give up some weight?
SidsBurnerAccount
Bought a truck today. The one I thought I was buying didn't actually exist on the lot. The dealer said they thought they would have it by now, but don't. Went to another dealer who had one physically on the lot but would only hold it until opening of business this morning. The other 3 dealerships we checked were adding up to a $7,500.00 premium over sticker to trucks.
Buck Turgidson
Jack Squat 83 said:

schmellba99 said:

Dow Chemical used to make a metric crap ton of magnesium at their Freeport Plant A facility, but they shut it down about 15 years ago. Bet they wish they hadn't of now.
The hell of it is, if Trump were still in office he would be working with them to re-open the operation. You know, solve the damn problem.
Democrats don't solve problems. They profit from creating problems. Everything gets worse under Democrats. I have no idea why Americans can't connect the ****ing dots on that. Things got a lot worse under Johnson, Carter, Obama and now Biden. The only recent exception may have been Clinton, because the congressional Republicans were able to keep him in check most of the time.
Buck Turgidson
SidsBurnerAccount said:

Bought a truck today. The one I thought I was buying didn't actually exist on the lot. The dealer said they thought they would have it by now, but don't. Went to another dealer who had one physically on the lot but would only hold it until opening of business this morning. The other 3 dealerships we checked were adding up to a $7,500.00 premium over sticker to trucks.
Its a historically bad time to be a buyer. As much as I love many of the new model vehicles today, it seems like you will take less of a hit buying a low mileage used vehicle (even though used cars are up too).
AgGrad99
AG
Used are about as high as new.

It's a stupid market right now.
SidsBurnerAccount
Buck Turgidson said:

SidsBurnerAccount said:

Its a historically bad time to be a buyer. As much as I love many of the new model vehicles today, it seems like you will take less of a hit buying a low mileage used vehicle (even though used cars are up too).
Good luck finding a low-mileage used vehicle. I just bought the bullet and went ahead. I'm worried about the next couple of years and wanted newest thing I could get. I don't buy vehicles often. My current SUV is a 2011 model.
BAP Enthusiast
TxAggieBand85 said:

Agthatbuilds said:

There has to be a market for a dumb car.

Give me ac, radio and 4x4 and I'm gtg. Don't need a backup camera. Don't need a blind spot indicator, lane assist, auto mirrors. Don't need auto seats, seat heater, motor windows. Don't need to track mpgs, outside temperature, the direction I'm facing.

And so on. Give me the most mechanical truck that requires the least amount of cpu power.

I can't be the only one who'd prefer something like that.
All two of us. Plus some of that stuff is by regulation.

I'll take Bluetooth to play music from my phone because radio sucks but I can live without everything else.
12thMan9
AG
Have an '03 Yukon my son is driving in CS. My wife is driving an '08 Suburban, 3rd engine.
240K on Yukon, 209K on Suburban transmission. Have spent about $10K on repairs to Suburban this year. Pisses my wife off until I ask her if she wants an $800/mo car payment.

She thinks we need to replace Yukon, until I tell her what a replacement is going to cost. Looks to be worth it to spend $2K to get front end repaired.
Ronnie '88
javajaws
AG
agracer said:

China is shutting off power to meet some emissions goals (linked earlier)

This is the green new deal in action and it hasn't even been passed yet.
You don't really think only American politicians lie do you? This is the CCP flat out lying to save face because they can't get enough coal to power their power plants.

One of their biggest sources of coal (and preferred coal at that) was from Australia...guess where they aren't getting coal from anymore?
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
AlaskanAg99
AG
March of 2020 my 17 year old vehicle had pretty big engine problems. And it was beat to hell as I'd bought it new and pretty much drove it till the wheels fell off. When I was hunting I found a 2017 Pilot EXL AWD with 9k miles, I intended to buy new, but with only 9k on it, it was $12k off new sticker and I even managed to talk them down another $500. At that time the shortage wasn't nearly as bad as it is now. If I were to buy that today, I bet it'd be $2k under the new sticker. Man, I got lucky!

And with WFH being the norm, I'm not putting a ton of miles on it now.
OneProudAg
AG
AgGrad99 said:

Used are about as high as new.

It's a stupid market right now.
Yup, my kid bought a 2016 Mustang GT premium with 23,000 miles for 28K in September last year. It's now 35-38K
E King Trill
AG
Who cares, cars suck anyways
AggieUSMC
AG
Let's Go Brandon!
agracer
AG
Buck Turgidson said:

In the meantime, can auto makers switch to recycled aluminum? What about all the billions of aluminum cans we use every year? Where are those going?

F150's have aluminum bodies - can they stamp the same body panels out of steel and just give up some weight?
. No, aluminum and steel 'deform" differently. The stamps used for the Al are designed to stamp Al. The steel properties are different so the stamps don't work with steel.
lb3
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

Give me ac, radio and 4x4 and I'm gtg. Don't need a backup camera. Don't need a blind spot indicator, lane assist, auto mirrors. Don't need auto seats, seat heater, motor windows. Don't need to track mpgs, outside temperature, the direction I'm facing.

And so on. Give me the most mechanical truck that requires the least amount of cpu power.

Just remember, only two pumps of the accelerator before turning the key. You don't want to flood your engine and be late to work waiting for the gas to evaporate.

Oh, and don't forget to check your points at the first sign of a sluggish start.
Proc92
lb3 said:

Agthatbuilds said:

Just remember, only two pumps of the accelerator before turning the key. You don't want to flood your engine and be late to work waiting for the gas to evaporate.

Oh, and don't forget to check your points at the first sign of a sluggish start.
Make sure you keep a geek squad card in the glovebox in case you can't figure out which chip is faulty.
KRamp90
AG
Still have it?
Marcus Brutus
$90M said:

Sounds like sour grapes.

For those of us who don't work as fry cools, cars are affordable and pretty cool.
E King Trill
AG
CCP Joe Veggie said:

$90M said:

Sounds like sour grapes.

For those of us who don't work as fry cools, cars are affordable and pretty cool.
Guy who can't spell is probably a fry cook. Also no Ag Tag or premium - way more likely to be a fry cook. FOH
Marcus Brutus
$90M said:

CCP Joe Veggie said:

$90M said:

Sounds like sour grapes.

Guy who can't spell is probably a fry cook. Also no Ag Tag or premium - way more likely to be a fry cook. FOH

Sometimes phones do that.

Ag Tag smack too. Nice. Now run along back to your safe space over on the premium board.

Tanya 93
$90M said:

I don't pretend to know anything about vehicles, I mean I cannot change a tire and barely know where the oil goes, but aren't all vehicles made from the same materials for the body and most of the components to make it run?

If cars suck, wouldn't trucks suck too?

If so, how do you get to work and the doctor?
Do you grow, raise, and process your own food and drink?
What about clothing? Use your own sheep and cotton fields to spin the cloth and make your own clothing?
What about shoes and paper and internet? How do you get those without road vehicles?
shhopkins
AG
Heelside Tantrum said:

CMs voted for this.

This times a trillion.

CM's are scum.
No Spin Ag
Tanya 93 said:

$90M said:

I don't pretend to know anything about vehicles, I mean I cannot change a tire and barely know where the oil goes, but aren't all vehicles made from the same materials for the body and most of the components to make it run?

If cars suck, wouldn't trucks suck too?

If so, how do you get to work and the doctor?
Do you grow, raise, and process your own food and drink?
What about clothing? Use your own sheep and cotton fields to spin the cloth and make your own clothing?
What about shoes and paper and internet? How do you get those without road vehicles?

So many good questions.
No Spin Ag
TxTarpon said:

They're all sparse, at least in the Panhandle area. Lots are filled with used cars that aren't the same as what the dealer sells new.

Like many, I'm glad I went be in the market for a new vehicle for at least another 5 years.
Tanya 93
No Spin Ag said:

TxTarpon said:

They're all sparse, at least in the Panhandle area. Lots are filled with used cars that aren't the same as what the dealer sells new.

Like many, I'm glad I went be in the market for a new vehicle for at least another 5 years.
My car is almost 14 years old

guess I will wait a couple of years for the Subaru.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.