The Car Shortage Is About To Get A Whole Lot Worse

20,432 Views | 151 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by C@LAg
stetson
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a 1994 Toyota 4Runner 4WD with 228,000 miles on it. Current bid is $5,000. Let me know if you're interested.
policywonk98
AG
I've had 4 random offers on my 2002 vehicle in gas stations while filling up in the last month. That's never happened to me personally before. It's kind of crazy. None have been high enough for me, but the last one was pretty close.

I just need it to be high enough to feel like its worth the hassle of being the guy walking around offering people money for their vehicles
Trout
91AggieLawyer said:

Had lunch with a guy (an Aggie) who works for the financial arm of a major auto maker. I don't know for sure his level of knowledge on the subject, but he thinks the chip issue won't be settled until 2024 at the earliest.

I'm a distributor for a major manufacturer and was on a call with their supply chain manager 2 months ago and he told us 2023 at the earliest. So it'll be a while. Been affecting me for a year, just now hitting the rest of economy.
annie88
AG
Ag In Ok said:

This is an economic hot war and the current administration is utterly confused and misguided.
White House, media tell Americans not to complain, but lower expectations 'like Soviet Union'

Well, basically.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/white-house-media-tells-americans-not-to-complain-but-lower-expectations-like-soviet-union-the-five
bmks270
AG
BAP Enthusiast said:

Ag In Ok said:

This is an economic hot war and the current administration is utterly confused and misguided.

This isn't Economic war on china's part. Their economy is cratering just like ours. People have absolutely no idea that every country is perilously close to that razor's edge. The entire system is about to go off a cliff.

China is panicking just like we are because they have no fuel for their power plants, which means no power to their factories.

This is going to get very bad. The global supply chain going up in smoke will have ramifications not seen in the modern world. We have no comparable moment in history. The Great Depression does not compare because supply wasn't the problem.

We can go back to 1800s technology and standards. The human race don't need computers.
n_touch
BAP Enthusiast said:

China is panicking just like we are because they have no fuel for their power plants, which means no power to their factories.

Why is this a problem all of a sudden or was this building for a few years? How were they getting fuel before now?
AnScAggie
AG
So "cash for clunkers" really wasn't a good idea….who would have thought. Thanks Obama and FJB.
Aggie95
AG
nortex97 said:

Aggie95 said:

I can see a way out of chip problem...make more here but that will take 3 to 5 years.
But....how do we fix the magnesium issue? If the natural resource supply is in China there's not an easy fix.
China also owns the global lithium and cobalt supply too (via both the mines and more significantly the refining processors.) This isn't their only ace in the hole, in other words. They are going to twist the knife in 2021 hoping to create a cascade of events that…keeps Dems in power in the US.
so what happens first....peak oil or peak lithium/magnesium? Sounds like a fun little problem that could make COVID look like child's play
Signel
AG
PneumAg said:

Ag In Ok said:

I disagree. They are complicit in it. The fascists on the left want to limit the ability of the general population to move around freely. What better way to do that than by coordinating with China to choke off the supply of new vehicles and make buying them cost-prohibitive for most people? It will only take a few years before half of the population can't find a working car. I think one of their next steps will be to take drastic measures domestically to destroy the oil and gas industry and cut off the supply of gasoline. This is in tandem with leftist private equity groups buying up residential homes and undeveloped real property everywhere, causing an explosion of home prices and decreasing the supply of homes available for people to actually purchase and own. These people puppet-mastering Biden ultimately want everybody herded into the cities, living in government-funded housing, and relegated to government-controlled public transportation.

This this this.. What did Jen say? "It was selfish to have businesses pass on the increasing costs to the consumer!"

They created the problem, and then blame the little guy for their dirty work. This was always their plan. Just like the gain of function research. Just like the control of big tech to stop businesses. Just like Environmental, Social, Governance scores for businesses. Fire the unvaccinated and that identifies the enemy. It is all by design and the population is too stupid to see the truth.
CrawlingNo5
AG
policywonk98 said:

I've had 4 random offers on my 2002 vehicle in gas stations while filling up in the last month. That's never happened to me personally before. It's kind of crazy. None have been high enough for me, but the last one was pretty close.

I just need it to be high enough to feel like its worth the hassle of being the guy walking around offering people money for their vehicles

Someone did that to me a couple weeks ago asking if I was wanting to sell my 2011 truck. Sure random stranger at a QT gas station, I'm sure your honest as the day is long. But is that a thing now?
Texker
AG
Carlo4 said:

Still can't believe I got $6000 for a car with 155,000 miles, broken locks, hail damage, no AC, cracked leather seats, front bumper and reinforcement heavy damage, paint chipping away horribly.

Maybe I should have held out...
Wow. I have a '94 Acura Legend GS that has some issues that I need to sell.
Ag In Ok
AG
Trout said:

91AggieLawyer said:

Had lunch with a guy (an Aggie) who works for the financial arm of a major auto maker. I don't know for sure his level of knowledge on the subject, but he thinks the chip issue won't be settled until 2024 at the earliest.

I'm a distributor for a major manufacturer and was on a call with their supply chain manager 2 months ago and he told us 2023 at the earliest. So it'll be a while. Been affecting me for a year, just now hitting the rest of economy.

So until then, how will they make any money apart from gross federal bailouts? How is this not now reflected in the stock price?
Ellis Wyatt
annie88 said:

Ag In Ok said:

White House, media tell Americans not to complain, but lower expectations 'like Soviet Union'

Well, basically.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/white-house-media-tells-americans-not-to-complain-but-lower-expectations-like-soviet-union-the-five
Exactly like when Hussein was Resident. "The new normal."

**** these marxists.
91AggieLawyer
AG
PneumAg said:

Ag In Ok said:

I disagree. They are complicit in it. The fascists on the left want to limit the ability of the general population to move around freely. What better way to do that than by coordinating with China to choke off the supply of new vehicles and make buying them cost-prohibitive for most people? It will only take a few years before half of the population can't find a working car. I think one of their next steps will be to take drastic measures domestically to destroy the oil and gas industry and cut off the supply of gasoline. This is in tandem with leftist private equity groups buying up residential homes and undeveloped real property everywhere, causing an explosion of home prices and decreasing the supply of homes available for people to actually purchase and own. These people puppet-mastering Biden ultimately want everybody herded into the cities, living in government-funded housing, and relegated to government-controlled public transportation.

You may be right to a degree, but this so-called strategy is risky as hell. For one, it will wreck the economy and until proven otherwise, voters will vote with their wallets in a way that even voter fraud can't overcome. For another, it may have the unintended consequence of teaching people to live within their means because they're forced to stay in their current house and pay it off and keep their current vehicle and fix it. Finally, people can't wait to get out of hell holes like California, New York, Chicago, and elsewhere soon enough. And contrary to popular belief, they aren't ALL bringing leftist policies with them. We may see a decade soon where winning Texas, Florida, and Ohio is all it takes to win the Presidency, irrespective of any other states.

OK, the last statement may be a stretch, but you get my point.
PneumAg
2020 only emboldened these people. They will absolutely cheat in a way that cannot be overcome. It happens in countries around the world every year.
XXXVII
PneumAg said:

2020 only emboldened these people. They will absolutely cheat in a way that cannot be overcome. It happens in countries around the world every year.

There's going to be no denying the cheating if Republicans don't win big in 2022 and 2024 based on this cluster F of an administration so far.
DeSantis 2024

FJB, FJB, FJB, etc
OneProudAg
AG
I have a kid turning 16 in June. I bought a used car for her 2 months ago because I was scared of this. I overpaid 2 months ago but think it's gonna get worse. I looked at my 17 year old kids car value on Kelly Blue Book and trade in value is 3K above what I paid for it in on 9/20
AndesAg92
AG
My Name Is Judge said:

Ag In Ok said:

Dead wrong

This is all by design to delete the working middle class

Yup. You realize you're crazy right?
PneumAg
XXXVII said:

PneumAg said:

There's going to be no denying the cheating if Republicans don't win big in 2022 and 2024 based on this cluster F of an administration so far.

Ok, I agree. But why does that matter? Who is going to do anything about it? The courts are never going to touch an election, even if the proof is undeniable. The FBI is the democrat enforcement arm. The military brass are neo-marxists. Citizens who take up arms will be violently suppressed and jailed as terrorists.

They will cheat. Nothing will happen.
PCC_80
AG
It will take months if not years to restart the worlds economy after this idiotic shutdown. So many bottle necks and interconnected industries we can not even count them all.

I think that we are looking at the beginnings of WW-III. A lot of countries are going to be in dire need of essentials like food, fuel and water. They will have to "Take" what they need from other countries. It will get ugly and lots of people will be killed or starve or freeze.
sharpdressedman
PneumAg said:

XXXVII said:

PneumAg said:

Ok, I agree. But why does that matter? Who is going to do anything about it? The courts are never going to touch an election, even if the proof is undeniable. The FBI is the democrat enforcement arm. The military brass are neo-marxists. Citizens who take up arms will be violently suppressed and jailed as terrorists.

They will cheat. Nothing will happen.
Yep. The fraud was successful in 2020 and everybody knows it occurred and that it was accomplished and obfuscated/covered-up "by whatever means necessary."

Moreover, the cheating process is being refined every day in the Dem/RINO controlled "battleground" states, and the DOJ/FBI are willfully complicit in supporting its successful continuation.

The soul of the nation was stolen in 2020.
JSKolache
AG
n_touch said:

BAP Enthusiast said:

Why is this a problem all of a sudden or was this building for a few years? How were they getting fuel before now?
West coast states banned coal exports from their ports (unconstitutional btw.) Not just a supply issue in china though, also a demand side issue with a grid that cannot keep up with development and population growth.
fixer
The authoritarian leftists don't give a rip about cars for a multitude of reasons. If the industry imploded over night, they'd probably raise a toast.

Remember the people in charge of nearly every facet of modern life are tyrants that are here to tell you how to think, act, and live.
fixer
stetson said:

I have a 1994 Toyota 4Runner 4WD with 228,000 miles on it. Current bid is $5,000. Let me know if you're interested.
Put up add in a Colorado craigslist and I bet you'll nearly double that.
cevans_40
AG
I am just so glad we are saving our environment by not mining and producing anything domestically. It may totally kill our economy and relegate us to 3rd would status but at least our carbon footprint will be small.
Marcus Brutus
YouBet said:

This kind of stuff cascades big time. There are going go to be wars soon.

I don't think Biden and whoever controls him are going to war over this. His transportation sec has been home for 3 months cuddling with his husband while product sits in the pacific ocean.

It's like the border. It's intentional. It's wide open and they are transporting illegals all over the country.
The Fife
Texker said:

Carlo4 said:

Still can't believe I got $6000 for a car with 155,000 miles, broken locks, hail damage, no AC, cracked leather seats, front bumper and reinforcement heavy damage, paint chipping away horribly.

Maybe I should have held out...
Wow. I have a '94 Acura Legend GS that has some issues that I need to sell.

Does it have a manual?
LOYAL AG
AG
bmks270 said:

BAP Enthusiast said:

Ag In Ok said:

This isn't Economic war on china's part. Their economy is cratering just like ours. People have absolutely no idea that every country is perilously close to that razor's edge. The entire system is about to go off a cliff.

This is going to get very bad. The global supply chain going up in smoke will have ramifications not seen in the modern world. We have no comparable moment in history. The Great Depression does not compare because supply wasn't the problem.

We can go back to 1800s technology and standards. The human race don't need computers.

I'm assuming you understand that this would be catastrophic. Probably 80% of Americans die in that scenario. That sounds crazy perhaps but 86% of us live in cities and suburbs and very few of those people would survive in that world.
A fearful society is a compliant society. That's why Democrats and criminals prefer their victims to be unarmed. Gun Control is not about guns, it's about control.
jefe95
AG
Isn't there a Tom Clancy book with a similar scenario that doesn't end well?
Red Red Wine
AG
Why don't they just "recycle" the damn chips. Take chips from older models and use those.

Yes, I know "newer" models have "more advanced" chips. Well dumb it down to use the older chips. We act like we have NO OPTIONS when there are things that can be done to weather the storm.

Plus, i will just keep my vehicles running until the "chip" shortage is behind us and vehicle demand falls back to earth so I can get a better deal. Not sure I would want to go out and buy a new vehicle at the moment anyway.
LOYAL AG
AG
CCP Joe Veggie said:

YouBet said:

I don't think Biden and whoever controls him are going to war over this. His transportation sec has been home for 3 months cuddling with his husband while product sits in the pacific ocean.

It's like the border. It's intentional. It's wide open and they are transporting illegals all over the country.

We won't start the war but we'll definitely join in. Wars are fought over religion and resources and as resources become scarce we're all going to have to be willing to fight for what we need.
A fearful society is a compliant society. That's why Democrats and criminals prefer their victims to be unarmed. Gun Control is not about guns, it's about control.
Marcus Brutus
LOYAL AG said:

CCP Joe Veggie said:

YouBet said:

We won't start the war but we'll definitely join in. Wars are fought over religion and resources and as resources become scarce we're all going to have to be willing to fight for what we need.

Honestly though, whose side would we be on? The current admin is deep in bed with China.
Who?mikejones!
There has to be a market for a dumb car.

Give me ac, radio and 4x4 and I'm gtg. Don't need a backup camera. Don't need a blind spot indicator, lane assist, auto mirrors. Don't need auto seats, seat heater, motor windows. Don't need to track mpgs, outside temperature, the direction I'm facing.

And so on. Give me the most mechanical truck that requires the least amount of cpu power.

I can't be the only one who'd prefer something like that.
Nitro Power
AG
I for one am stunned that shutting down the worlds largest economies is having this kind of worldly impact. Who would have thought it?
LOYAL AG
AG
CCP Joe Veggie said:

LOYAL AG said:

CCP Joe Veggie said:

YouBet said:

Honestly though, whose side would we be on? The current admin is deep in bed with China.

Good question. Guess it depends on how quickly things fall apart and who's in power at that time. God knows none of us want Biden to have a chance to prove himself as a wartime president. 80 years of a global economy has created bedfellows out of opposing ideologies and its difficult to know how this unfolds.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.