Texas A&M professors implementing mask mandates

28,302 Views | 240 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by WHOOP!'91
FlyRod
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quote:

Freedom isn't selfish.

And selfishness isn't freedom.
Keegan99
AG
wxman2005 said:

Spring ISD all masks---low covid
Humble ISD no masks --high covid. Son's school, no mask policy, tons of covid.

You are aware that there was a study of all schools in Florida that showed no correlation between mask policies and rates of detected infections?
xfactor91
Wrong again...virus transmits through small aerosol particles...go cough and look at all the small droplets.

N95 would block most of those particles. Even if surgical masks 50% effective, it worth it.

Do the simple math.

Keegan99
AG
Surgical masks do not inhibit aerosols.
backintexas2013
AG
What?
TRM
AG
wxman2005 said:

Wrong again...virus transmits through small aerosol particles...go cough and look at all the small droplets.

N95 would block most of those particles. Even if surgical masks 50% effective, it worth it.

Do the simple math.

No, you can't do simple math. Eventually the chance you get covid particles goes to 100%.
texagbeliever
wxman2005 said:

Do the simple math.

Here is the simple math for you.

A mask reduces chance of spread by 50% per encounter.
After 1 encounter your chance of not being infected is 50%
After 2 encounters 25%
After 5 encounters 3%
After 10 encounters 0.1%.
So of your child enteracts with 10 kids he or she will almost certainly catch it (assuming they don't have recent immunity from having it)
Rapier108
You made the claim they work, it is up to you to back it up.

Your "do the math" comment is just lazy and proof you know your claims are without merit.

Now, run back to The Zoo.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
Teslag
AG
wxman2005 said:

Tyrannical? I see the stupidity every day in Texas.

No one wears masks, only 48% fully vaccinated, and it much worse in the rural areas. And I see the stupidity at my alma mater. No one cares.

Selfish people.

I bet you peed yourself when you saw Kyle Field on Saturday.
Rapier108
backintexas2013 said:

What?
He supports forced masks and shots. That's all you need to know.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
Keegan99
AG
Oh, there is also the entire United Kingdom and much of mainland Europe, none of which ever masked children in schools. Stupid Euros!
Isn't this against the law since TAMU is a public university?
Teslag
AG
1234567891011 said:

Isn't this against the law since TAMU is a public university?

Hospitals are exempt.
Keegan99
AG
Post citing the Florida study was deleted? Ok.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.05.19.21257467v1

Quote:

This paper reports on the correlation of mitigation practices with staff and student COVID-19 case rates in Florida, New York, and Massachusetts during the 2020-2021 school year. We analyze data collected by the COVID-19 School Response Dashboard and focus on student density, ventilation upgrades, and masking. We find higher student COVID-19 rates in schools and districts with lower in-person density but no correlations in staff rates. Ventilation upgrades are correlated with lower rates in Florida but not in New York. We do not find any correlations with mask mandates. All rates are lower in the spring, after teacher vaccination is underway.

WHOOP!'91
AG
Keegan99 said:

Post citing the Florida study was deleted? Ok.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.05.19.21257467v1

Quote:

This paper reports on the correlation of mitigation practices with staff and student COVID-19 case rates in Florida, New York, and Massachusetts during the 2020-2021 school year. We analyze data collected by the COVID-19 School Response Dashboard and focus on student density, ventilation upgrades, and masking. We find higher student COVID-19 rates in schools and districts with lower in-person density but no correlations in staff rates. Ventilation upgrades are correlated with lower rates in Florida but not in New York. We do not find any correlations with mask mandates. All rates are lower in the spring, after teacher vaccination is underway.

Man the moderation here is frustrating.
A & M, GIVE US ROOM!

Rapier108
Did it quote anything by wxman2005?

Looks like some of his comments got nuked so if it did quote one of those posts, that's probably why.
WHOOP!'91
AG
Rapier108 said:

Did it quote anything by wxman2005?

Looks like some of his comments got nuked so if it did quote one of those posts, that's probably why.
Maybe Jack Dorsey deleted his post for spreading misinformation about the effectiveness of masks.
A & M, GIVE US ROOM!

Who?mikejones!
wxman2005 said:

MASKS WORK. Been wearing masks everywhere I go, and I still haven't gotten covid.
Also vaccinated fully since April, and will get my booster.

Why wouldn't masks work? N95 blocks everything, Surgical will block almost all large particles coming out of my mouth that contain covid. Go breath on a cold day and watch the mist and how far it goes, put a mask on and it won't go nearly as far. Simple basic physics.

This is some untrue drivel.

I dont wear a mask. I havent missed a day of work in the field since this started. I also participated in some hurricane Laura recovery stuff and shared a big room with about 200 other people. I haven't gotten covid. So my anecdotal experience cancels out yours.

The only thing scientific studies say about masks is they provide no benefit, especially when worn outside of a laboratory setting.

A recent study out of Bangladesh purported to show wearing a surgical mask helped reduce spread by 12% or so, but they also were doing social distancing. Hard to tell what effected it more.

I'm not some crazy anti masker. There just isn't any evidence they do anything. There's as much evidence they increase your chances of getting covid as there is they decrease it. But you do you. Wear a mask if you wish. I dont care and won't bother someone wearing one because it's their choice.
AgCWby90CS
AG
wxman2005 said:

MASKS WORK. Been wearing masks everywhere I go, and I still haven't gotten covid.
Also vaccinated fully since April, and will get my booster.

Why wouldn't masks work? N95 blocks everything, Surgical will block almost all large particles coming out of my mouth that contain covid. Go breath on a cold day and watch the mist and how far it goes, put a mask on and it won't go nearly as far. Simple basic physics.

you even admit that they are not fool proof. Why is it that mask proponents seem to come with blinders.
I don't wear a mask anywhere I don't have to. Haven't been vaccinated and haven't contracted ( and not fighting not to, just haven't) but then I maintain distance, wash hands, etc. etc.
CWby '90
Keegan99
AG
The distance aerosols travel is immaterial.

Aerosols stay airborne for hours.

COVID does not leave the room when an infected person leaves the room.
Teslag
AG
I like when people try to make the "simple math" argument and then back their point up with an n=2.
deddog
AG
Can the covid not enter your body through your eyes?
TommyBrady
AG
My family member died of xxxxxxx so I'm going to irrationally demand people do something that wouldn't have saved them anyway. Some peoples kids are stupid af
DTP02
AG
wxman2005 said:

You realize that even ardent mask proponents don't claim that they help keep you from getting infected, right?

Obviously not. I've long thought that most fervent mask wearers and supporters were motivated by their own irrational fears. Choosing to wear a mask makes you feel safer, when there is absolutely no rational basis to believe that it actually does make you safer.
dogag77
Bro Jeremy how did I catch you lackin this bad????
Sea Speed
AG
I dont understand this, but I assume this is gon be good
oldyeller
AG
All the back and forth about masks keeps using the word "work," but if there is to be thoughtful discussion, we should agree on what we mean by "work."

If we expect masks to be magical bulletproof shields against SARS-CoV-2, they will never do that, as even real bulletproof plates can fail when tested beyond their specifications. If by work we mean something less like "slow the spread" then we simply have to quibble about to what degree they satisfy that aim and if satisfying that defined goal is worth accepting them as a worthwhile inconvenience when in shared public spaces..
Sea Speed
AG
oldyeller said:

All the back and forth about masks keeps using the word "work," but if there is to be thoughtful discussion, we should agree on what we mean by "work."

If we expect masks to be magical bulletproof shields against SARS-CoV-2, they will never do that, as even real bulletproof plates can fail when tested beyond their specifications. If by work we mean something less like "slow the spread" then we simply have to quibble about to what degree they satisfy that aim and if satisfying that defined goal is worth accepting them as a worthwhile inconvenience when in shared public spaces..

What amount of spread slowing would mean it is working to you? 0.1% effective? 1% effective? 25% effective? More? At what percent effectiveness would it be worth the increased hassle, waste, frustration etc for it to be worth it to you?
Who?mikejones!
There isn't any factor of "work" that mask do to contain covid. They likely cause far more harm than any good, both physical and societal.

If they did work, it would be plainly obvious and backed by pretty substantial studies. Kinda like the vaccine is.

Mask are worn in surgery for bacterial infection reasons, not respiratory.

WesMaroon&White
AG
Lmfao at this discussion. I went to TAMU for the professors, most highly respected in their expertise and their research. If they felt confident that masked helped, I would not care if I thought they didn't. A mask is the least I would do to learn from them. By the way, I have worn all sorts of mask for my profession. Back in the 90s, I spent several 8 hour days in a M8A1 in a butyl suit in a chemical agent incinerator. Surgical masks don't eliminate the hazard, but it does reduce the area of influence. You need something with a MERV 16 rating to eliminate the hazard for viruses.
Who?mikejones!
Back in the day when profs weren't so concerned with social justice and equity and more focused on their expertise were good times.
TRM
AG
WesMaroon&White said:

Lmfao at this discussion. I went to TAMU for the professors, most highly respected in their expertise and their research. If they felt confident that masked helped, I would not care if I thought they didn't. A mask is the least I would do to learn from them. By the way, I have worn all sorts of mask for my profession. Back in the 90s, I spent several 8 hour days in a M8A1 in a butyl suit in a chemical agent incinerator. Surgical masks don't eliminate the hazard, but it does reduce the area of influence. You need something with a MERV 16 rating to eliminate the hazard for viruses.
You're saying there's still a chance of getting it with a mask. Now, what happens when you have enough exposures?
lost my dog
Six pages of commentary, and I'll bet not a single current student posted. I saw one person post whom I know is staff on campus. The rest, it seems like a lot old Ags with too much time on their hands, with no current connection to campus, and whose knowledge of what happens on campus is limited to internet rumors.

From my observations , 80% of students don't wear masks. Some professors care and some professors don't. if you have a child on campus who feels their professor is pressuring them to wear a mask, for pete's sake stop being a helicopter parent and let your kid figure out how to deal with it.

(And I'm 5 days late to this thread, because the current students are now using it as an example on Reddit of how out of touch Texags is.)
The_Fox
xfactor91 said:

Masks work.
Vaccines work.

Just lost a family member to covid. Stop being idiots.

Apparently they did not work for your family member. Just saying.
TRADUCTOR
Children do not post on TexAgs cause that is what us dorks do.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.