Texas A&M professors implementing mask mandates

28,296 Views | 240 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by WHOOP!'91
Oogway
How long do you want to ignore this user?
HammerHeadAg said:

does anyone know if the vet hospital is exempt from Abbott's EO?
I looked up EO-GA-38 and it has this:

Quote:

No governmental entity, including a county, city, school district, and

public health authority, and no governmental official may require any
person to wear a face covering or to mandate that another person wear
a face covering; provided, however, that:
i. state supported living centers, government-owned hospitals, and
government-operated hospitals may continue to use appropriate
policies regarding the wearing of face coverings; and...
Maybe because they are a 'teaching' hospital they are using that section? I get where OP is coming from on this, but given that there are animals that are also there for treatment, experiments, diagnostics, etc I wonder if there is a legal liability aspect they're looking at to prevent a different type of lawsuit than what the OP is thinking. That doesn't explain the professors that are going ballistic of it though.
akm91
AG
What are the mortality rates for animals from COVID-19?
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
oldyeller
AG
txags92 said:

oldyeller said:

PearlJammin said:

Everyone is walking around with a video camera. Need to record this behavior.
Students who do this in the classroom will be in violation of student rules against unauthorized recording, and may face further sanction, which will weaken any legitimate claims they have. Better to file a claim using the proper channels.

Are you sure that is accurate? I would think that a classroom setting is one that would qualify as a place somebody has no right to an expectation of privacy, so unauthorized recording there would not be an issue.
Check out student rule 24.4.18:

Quote:

24.4.18. Unauthorized recording. Any unauthorized use of electronic or other devices to make an audio, video, still frame or photographic record of any persons without their prior knowledge, or without their effective consent when the person or persons being recorded have a reasonable expectation of privacy and/or such recording is likely to cause injury or distress. This includes, but is not limited to, surreptitiously taking pictures of another person in a gym, locker room, or restroom or recording administrative meetings with University officials. If a recording is made that captures a violation of the Student Rules or law, the Student Conduct Administrator may elect not to enforce this section of the Student Rules against the student making the recording.

Classroom discussions count as conversations, and hence carry an expectation of privacy. The rooms may be restricted to only those enrolled in or involved in the teaching of the class, and hence are also not fully public spaces, which buttresses the expectation of privacy upon which the rule depends.
Oogway
I have no idea--I'm spitballing because we all live in crazyworld now.
OnlyForNow
AG
So you're saying that all those recordings of lectures I took during 6 years (4 UG and 2 Graduate), were illegal - along with probably 5-10% of the rest of my class room peers?
txags92
AG
oldyeller said:

txags92 said:

oldyeller said:

PearlJammin said:

Students who do this in the classroom will be in violation of student rules against unauthorized recording, and may face further sanction, which will weaken any legitimate claims they have. Better to file a claim using the proper channels.

Are you sure that is accurate? I would think that a classroom setting is one that would qualify as a place somebody has no right to an expectation of privacy, so unauthorized recording there would not be an issue.

Quote:

24.4.18. Unauthorized recording. Any unauthorized use of electronic or other devices to make an audio, video, still frame or photographic record of any persons without their prior knowledge, or without their effective consent when the person or persons being recorded have a reasonable expectation of privacy and/or such recording is likely to cause injury or distress. This includes, but is not limited to, surreptitiously taking pictures of another person in a gym, locker room, or restroom or recording administrative meetings with University officials. If a recording is made that captures a violation of the Student Rules or law, the Student Conduct Administrator may elect not to enforce this section of the Student Rules against the student making the recording.

Classroom discussions count as conversations, and hence carry an expectation of privacy. The rooms may be restricted to only those enrolled in or involved in the teaching of the class, and hence are also not fully public spaces, which buttresses the expectation of privacy upon which the rule depends.
I don't agree at all that what a professor openly says in a classroom would qualify as having a right to an expectation of privacy. You are talking about recording conversations between two students, while we are talking about a student recording a professor talking to the class. The professor has no right to an expecation of privacy, and as long as the student is recording the professor without including video of any students that could allow them to be identified, I can't see how that would violate that rule. Since what the professors are doing are violating an executive order from the Governor of Texas and the stated policy of TAMU, I would expect that the SCA would waive enforcement.
txyaloo
AG
OnlyForNow said:

So you're saying that all those recordings of lectures I took during 6 years (4 UG and 2 Graduate), were illegal - along with probably 5-10% of the rest of my class room peers?
They aren't illegal. Texas is a one party consent state. As a student, you can audio record whatever you want. Video gets to be more tricky if it's a place like a bathroom, locker room, etc where you can be popped for invasive video recording.

The issue you run into as a student is it's a violation of University rules, and you could be expelled for violating them. Also, FERPA doesn't apply to individual students unless they're also an employee of the University
oldyeller
AG
txags92 said:

oldyeller said:

txags92 said:

oldyeller said:

PearlJammin said:

Quote:

I don't agree at all that what a professor openly says in a classroom would qualify as having a right to an expectation of privacy. You are talking about recording conversations between two students, while we are talking about a student recording a professor talking to the class. The professor has no right to an expecation of privacy, and as long as the student is recording the professor without including video of any students that could allow them to be identified, I can't see how that would violate that rule. Since what the professors are doing are violating an executive order from the Governor of Texas and the stated policy of TAMU, I would expect that the SCA would waive enforcement.
The issue here is that you assume that students' voices may not also be captured, which could be employed in identification, and result in the problems noted earlier. Exchanges between instructor and student also take place in a classroom, and are considered conversations. It appears many here have a narrow focus on this mask issue, in regards to recording, without considering all the abuses that could result by abandoning the existing rule on unauthorized recordings in place to protect academic freedom and avoid disclosure of FERPA protected information. There's a reason for the old maxim "hard cases make bad law."

To the matter at hand, if the individual faculty policies in place can affect a student's grade, they have to be in writing, e.g. on the syllabus. So if there is a classroom policy stating that failure to mask up can impact a student's grade and it isn't on the syllabus, there is already grounds for contesting the policy. Extra credit for mask wearing has been noted as permissible, in order to encourage mask wearing, but faculty who employ these means are supposed to provide comparable opportunities for extra credit to those students who elect to not wear a mask so that no situation arises where students are treated differently academically based upon their mask preference.
oldyeller
AG
OnlyForNow said:

If you didn't get permission, or the faculty member didn't provide blanket authorization, then those recordings were at least in violation of the student rules. Granted, I know most students don't read them, but they apply nonetheless.
txags92
AG
oldyeller said:

txags92 said:

oldyeller said:

txags92 said:

oldyeller said:

PearlJammin said:

Quote:

The issue here is that you assume that students' voices may not also be captured, which could be employed in identification, and result in the problems noted earlier. Exchanges between instructor and student also take place in a classroom, and are considered conversations. It appears many here have a narrow focus on this mask issue, in regards to recording, without considering all the abuses that could result by abandoning the existing rule on unauthorized recordings in place to protect academic freedom and avoid disclosure of FERPA protected information. There's a reason for the old maxim "hard cases make bad law."

To the matter at hand, if the individual faculty policies in place can affect a student's grade, they have to be in writing, e.g. on the syllabus. So if there is a classroom policy stating that failure to mask up can impact a student's grade and it isn't on the syllabus, there is already grounds for contesting the policy. Extra credit for mask wearing has been noted as permissible, in order to encourage mask wearing, but faculty who employ these means are supposed to provide comparable opportunities for extra credit to those students who elect to not wear a mask so that no situation arises where students are treated differently academically based upon their mask preference.
That assumes students are having side conversations while the prof is talking, which is not something most profs would allow for longer than about 20 seconds when I was in school. And again, this goes back to recording illegal behavior by the prof. Incidental recording of classroom conversations that would be going on loudly enough to be captured also would likely not qualify as having an expectation of privacy either. And in any case, the student recording the illegal behavior by the prof should have enforcement of that rule waived in the interest of stopping the illegal behavior, as allowed by the rules you quoted.
RandyAg98
AG
This makes me sad and angry. I graduated from TAMU CVM in 2002. I don't know any of these professors listed, so I assume they are new "progressive" clinicians.

Most of the professors I had in school were great people who loved their job and us students, and wanted us to go on to productive veterinary careers.

Very sad what the vet school has become.
OnlyForNow
AG
So the recordings I made were a violation of university rules? Not "illegal"?
Fightin_Aggie
AG
WolfCall said:

Mask nazis creating a hostile learning environment, macro-agression.

Mask Nazis being actual Nazis.

The first thing the German Nazis accused the Jews of was spreading the Spanish flu
The world needs mean tweets

My Pronouns Ultra and MAGA

Trump 2024
oldyeller
AG
txags92 said:

oldyeller said:

txags92 said:

oldyeller said:

txags92 said:

oldyeller said:

PearlJammin said:

Quote:

That assumes students are having side conversations while the prof is talking, which is not something most profs would allow for longer than about 20 seconds when I was in school. And again, this goes back to recording illegal behavior by the prof. Incidental recording of classroom conversations that would be going on loudly enough to be captured also would likely not qualify as having an expectation of privacy either. And in any case, the student recording the illegal behavior by the prof should have enforcement of that rule waived in the interest of stopping the illegal behavior, as allowed by the rules you quoted.
Their giving a lecture is not illegal, so how exactly would one record a professor engaged in illegal activity in the classroom? What may be inconsistent with the governor's executive order is a policy about attendance and/or the effect of mask wearing upon the student's grade. That seems to be the matter at hand, and capturing a lecture digitally doesn't really seem to address that specific concern. There is also the matter of academic freedom to consider, along with intellectual property rights faculty have over their lectures and teaching materials. So while you may believe that unauthorized recording is permissible, or should be, it doesn't seem as if it would aid this particular problem, and would generate far more issues than it resolves.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
oldyeller said:

txags92 said:

oldyeller said:

txags92 said:

oldyeller said:

PearlJammin said:

Quote:

You're really stretching on the FERPA issue.

There's no one to enforce anything except the school itself against its own students.

This is why I advocated for clandestine recording and then laundering through multiple channels before using social media to expose the behavior. If professors are doing things outside of what the law allows, then what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

On the subject of FERPA, the school itself would be immune from action and there is no private right of action. The only private right that might exist would be for someone tortuously accessing and distribution protected information. That would be a lawsuit on behalf of someone whose data was released against someone who released protected data. But the problem you run into at that point (from a litigator perspective) is that you only analyzed step 3 in the "should I take this case" rubric.

Step 1 is "is there a deep pocket." These are college kids. Almost to a person they're completely judgment proof.

Step 2 is "what is the damages model." Again, you'd have to prove up that there is some sort of monetary entitlement. Just the expert fees proving that there is a damages model at all would be significantly higher than whatever dollar amount it spits out.

Step 3 is liability. You might have a case on this one.

One out of three = you're wasting your time.

Instead of trying to make a federal case out of this, it seems like the right play would simply be what another poster mentioned another public university in Texas is doing: telling professors they can't force masks and they can't punish (or reward) for mask related behavior, period. Simple, straight-line-out-of-the-problem solution.
deddog
AG
RandyAg98 said:

This makes me sad and angry. I graduated from TAMU CVM in 2002. I don't know any of these professors listed, so I assume they are new "progressive" clinicians.

Most of the professors I had in school were great people who loved their job and us students, and wanted us to go on to productive veterinary careers.

Very sad what the vet school has become.
I have a kid in engineering, and so far all of the teachers have been apolitical, and outstanding.
So there's hope
TommyBrady
AG
We were promised that Dean August and Dr. Cornell would be temporary, but they have stayed on and infected the entire college. Please email and call out these professors and help save these students from an unending attack and manipulation
annie88
AG
DonaldJTrump said:

Post their emails. I'm an attorney and will email every single one of these *******s.
Just use the TAMU directory

https://www.tamu.edu/faculty-staff/index.html
Currently a happy listless vessel and deplorable. #FDEMS TRUMP 2024.
Fight Fight Fight.
hihozippo
AG
Not as of last Wednesday when we received an email stating this was going to be the attempt.
TexAgs91
AG
flogmat said:

I continue to be astounded at how many people out there believe they they can just do whatever they want whenever they want.

Well why can't they? They rarely face consequences.
FriscoKid
AG
akm91 said:

What are the mortality rates for animals from COVID-19?
No horses died.
txyaloo
AG
OnlyForNow said:

So the recordings I made were a violation of university rules? Not "illegal"?
As long as you weren't a University employee, yes. FERPA only applies to employees.

In Texas, only one party needs to know audio is being recorded
oldyeller
AG
ThunderCougarFalconBird said:

oldyeller said:

txags92 said:

oldyeller said:

txags92 said:

oldyeller said:

PearlJammin said:

Quote:

You're really stretching on the FERPA issue.

There's no one to enforce anything except the school itself against its own students.

This is why I advocated for clandestine recording and then laundering through multiple channels before using social media to expose the behavior. If professors are doing things outside of what the law allows, then what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

On the subject of FERPA, the school itself would be immune from action and there is no private right of action. The only private right that might exist would be for someone tortuously accessing and distribution protected information. That would be a lawsuit on behalf of someone whose data was released against someone who released protected data. But the problem you run into at that point (from a litigator perspective) is that you only analyzed step 3 in the "should I take this case" rubric.

Step 1 is "is there a deep pocket." These are college kids. Almost to a person they're completely judgment proof.

Step 2 is "what is the damages model." Again, you'd have to prove up that there is some sort of monetary entitlement. Just the expert fees proving that there is a damages model at all would be significantly higher than whatever dollar amount it spits out.

Step 3 is liability. You might have a case on this one.

One out of three = you're wasting your time.

Instead of trying to make a federal case out of this, it seems like the right play would simply be what another poster mentioned another public university in Texas is doing: telling professors they can't force masks and they can't punish (or reward) for mask related behavior, period. Simple, straight-line-out-of-the-problem solution.
I cited FERPA as a possible consideration that such a tactic could run against. Depending upon the composition of the class, whether or not student identifying information was revealed may also run afoul of anti-stalking measures in place to protect victims who may not want their comings and goings shared publicly. Theft of intellectual property may be another legal concern, because lectures and teaching materials of faculty are considered their intellectual property. So there are legitimate legal concerns that could render unauthorized recording as suspect. Such recordings could also be used in online shaming, particularly if portions of those recordings are shared without the proper context, making it also a morally suspect strategy to employ.
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
Project Veritas, Dan Bongino or Buck Sexton/Clay Travis might be interested. Two of the three have already mentioned the student body yelling about Joe Biden. Surely it cannot hurt to draw the attention of millions of freedom loving individuals.
Bobaloo
Quote:

Interim Director of Diversity & Inclusion
Can always use that title at a bar to impress a hottie...
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
Also, can someone elaborate on the "professional grade"? It seems like something out of communist Chyna…
BoDog
AG
Tell me he is just a funny guy who likes to troll. If not, dear God what happened to my beloved institution?
TexasAggie_02
AG
I don't recall all these vet school folks crying back during the beef cattle short course when 2,000 ppl were packed shoulder to shoulder in the MSC eating prime rib
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
All academic. There's no enforcement mechanism that would work outside of a private lawsuit but that, unfortunately, is against a judgment-proof defendant.
TommyBrady
AG
Thats large animal this is the small animal woke professors
nomadic_ag
AG
flogmat said:

I continue to be astounded at how many people out there believe they they can just do whatever they want whenever they want.
I honestly can't tell if this is pro-mask or pro-covid sentiment.
Cholula Verde
AG
TexasAggie_02 said:

I don't recall all these vet school folks crying back during the beef cattle short course when 2,000 ppl were packed shoulder to shoulder in the MSC eating prime rib
BCSC doesn't usually draw a big attendance from the small animal vet faculty. I'm guessing the large animal folks in attendance were sharing the proper dosage rates for treating Covid with Ivermectin.
TommyBrady
AG
I'm just hoping someone out there can give these students the support to keep these woke professors from making their semester hell. Theres no reason students should be paying as much as they are to be harassed and attacked because they refuse to follow the propaganda.
AgCat93
AG
How many of these profs would be able to hide behind tenure or would it not apply in an attempt to terminate them?
TRADUCTOR
TommyBrady said:

I've never seen students so afraid to speak up or dare to not wear masks now. Signs have gone up and any student who speaks out is sent home

Maybe the covid investigation department gestapo the administration created that can expel students is the root of students living in fear of expulsion.

That sucks ass

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.